The text below reflect policies for Kumoricon 2019. Changes to the process are planned for Kumoricon 2020. Please check back to this page for updates.
After Kumoricon 2017 and 2018, we received an overwhelming amount of feedback leading us to change how we handle autographs. As a result, Kumoricon is updating 2018's pass system for 2019 autographs!
All autograph sessions require an advance pass, which will be distributed by random drawing earlier in the day. Entry for each random drawing usually closes two hours in advance of the autograph session, but occasionally ends earlier. Please check the schedule for exact times.
The drawing will be performed a few minutes after the close of entries, and pass distribution will then run until the autograph session. Please note that pass distribution is at a different location than the autograph session. There will be no pass distribution at the autograph session.
- To enter the random drawing for a pass, please bring your photo ID and visit the autograph pass kiosks in the Registration Hall or by the Info Booths in Lower and Upper lobbies at any time during the convention until entry close and complete the pass entry form.
- To sign up, you will need to enter your name as it appears on your ID (first and last), phone number, and email address.
- Drawing entrants will be notified via email and/or text message. Pass winners will also have their entry confirmation codes displayed by the pass distribution area.
- Winning passes are divided into two priority groups. "Group A" passes receive first priority, and "Group B" passes are time-available waitlist passes which are served after all "Group A" passholders.
- Passes are free, and no purchase is required to enter the drawing.
- Passes cannot be given away or sold. Passes will be authenticated at distribution and when redeemed at the autograph session.
- When multiple autograph sessions are scheduled at the same time, you may only participate in one. If you win a pass for more than one session occurring at the same time, you may choose which one to redeem. There is no limit to the number of passes you may redeem if they are occurring at different times.
- If there are passes remaining after the drawing, they will be available first-come, first-served while supplies last.
- We will not replace lost passes.
- Due to the possibility of unforeseen circumstances, we reserve the right to end a drawing early or cancel a drawing session.
- Need accessibility accommodations? Please read below: Accessibility Accommodation Q&A
- To enter the signing line, you must hold a winning pass from the drawing for that guest, date, and session time. You must also present your valid Kumoricon 2019 badge.
- We apologize, but members of your group who do not hold winning passes cannot stand in line with you, except for parents/guardians accompanying minors, or persons providing disabilities assistance.
- Passholders may arrive at the signing session line up to 30 minutes early, but early arrival is not required.
- There are separate lines for "Group A" and "Group B" passholders. "Group A" passholders receive first priority until Group B begins.
- Group A must arrive no later than 30 minutes into the autograph session to receive priority.
- Late arrivals may enter the line, but may receive lower priority, even if holding a "Group A" pass.
- We apologize for any inconvenience, but if you miss the signing session for your pass, it cannot be transferred to a later session.
- Although we intend there to be enough time to serve all "Group A" passholders and some "Group B" passholders, due to the possibility of unforeseen circumstances or guest emergencies, we cannot guarantee any passholder will receive an autograph. We cannot transfer your pass to a different session in this situation.
- All autographs are at the guest's discretion. We cannot guarantee an autograph from any specific guest. Guests have the right to refuse to autograph anything or for anyone at their individual discretion. Some guests may have special requests, such as: no photos, only one item, etc. All limitation requests from the Guest and Autograph staff must be followed.
- Autographs are limited to a maximum of 2 free autographs per person. Gifts, photos, and recordings are included in the 2 item limit. Items for guests to sign must be official, licensed products (no bootlegs). Fan art is acceptable for some guests; please confirm with Autograph staff before you reach the guest. Guests may have merchandise or prints available for purchase while at the session, at their discretion. Please have items ready for autographing or payment ready for making a purchase when you are near the front of the line.
- Guests may refuse gifts, photos, or recordings individually or entirely at their discretion.
- To provide a fair signing opportunity to all attendees, please limit your time with a guest to one minute or less.
- You may take photos while your guest signs your items, but to save time, we ask that guests don't pose or pause for photos. A member of the Autograph staff can take a photo for you while your item(s) is signed.
- No touching guests without permission. Ask first for hugs, handshakes, etc., and respect that a guest may be sick, tired, or have some other reason for not wanting to give hugs.
- The following gifts are prohibited: gifts of homemade food, gifts of pre-packaged consumables that have been opened, or gifts of pre-packaged consumables with tampered packaging. All consumable gifts must be pre-packaged with visible seals intact, without exception. If you have a consumable gift, you must present your gift to a Guest Relations handler for approval prior to presenting the gift to a guest.
- Please remember that items to be signed or gifts must follow Kumoricon policies, such as props and weapons. Please review our Code of Conduct if you have questions about if your item would be allowed.
- General Q&A
- Autograph Pass Q&A
- Photograph Q&A
- VIP Autograph Session Q&A
- Accessibility Accommodation Q&A
- Staff Autographs Q&A
- Other Questions
How many items can I have signed?
We limit everyone to 2 free autographs. You may bring items with you to be signed, purchase items from the guest, or have your Kumoricon badge or convention book signed.
Can I pay for extra items to be signed?
Guests may have merchandise for sale during their autograph sessions which can be purchased in addition to the 2 free autographs.
Will guests have posters, prints, or other items for me to purchase?
Guests are welcome to have their own merchandise for sale and will have prices listed at their sessions. Kumoricon does not control or benefit from these sales and has no involvement in setting prices.
Will guests have a booth in the Exhibits Hall?
Some guests may have a booth where they hold additional signings. While we try to make sure we can list all of these opportunities on the schedule, information on a guest's additional signings may not be available until the convention. Kumoricon does not control or benefit from any sales at a guest's booth and has no involvement in setting prices or signing times.
Will artists and cosplay guests have signings? What about sketch sessions or photo ops?
Each guest is different. Please keep an eye on schedule announcements for any special guest events.
How many passes will be distributed?
Each guest is different; the number of passes distributed is based on how quickly autograph lines move, how fast a guest is at signing, demand, the length of the session etc.
Are accessibility accommodations available when entering the drawing?
If you need assistance entering the pass drawing, please see the Autographs management booth.
How early can I line up for a session if I have a pass?
30 minutes prior to the session's start time. Please keep in mind that you do not need to arrive early to join the session. If you have a pass for the session, you are free to join it at any time.
Can my friend/significant other line up with me?
Due to space constraints, only the passholder may stand in the autograph line. Exceptions are parents/guardians accompanying minors, and attendants for persons with disabilities.
What if I "split" my pass? I get one item signed and my friend gets the other item?
Again, each person in line must have their own pass. You are more than welcome to have a friend get something signed for you if they have a pass. But you both cannot stand in the line.
What if I miss my session? Can I go to another for that guest?
No, passes do not transfer or roll over to another session if you cannot attend or miss the session.
If some people with passes don't show up, will the staff let more people into the autograph line?
If there is still time remaining for a guest's autograph session, we will announce via the KumoriMarket speakers that the autograph line is open to enter until the session is complete.
I am only attending to get _______ 's autograph. Can't I just attend that session, since it's the only reason I'm coming to the con?
Unfortunately, that would be unfair to other attendees hoping to get an autograph from that guest. We suggest looking into purchasing a VIP membership, which allows you to attend a special VIP signing. More info on VIP memberships can be found here.
When do I line up to sign up for an autograph pass?
At any time during the convention, starting when pre-registration opens on Thursday!
What happens if there are more passes left after the random drawing?
If this happens, passes will be distributed first-come, first-served until 30 minutes prior to the session start time, or until all passes have been handed out.
Can I trade my pass, or give it to someone else?
Passes are locked to the name used at time of drawing entry and cannot be transferred or re-assigned. We will record the badge number or name on photo ID of the person picking up a winning pass. Attendees caught selling their autograph passes are subject to removal from the convention.
What if the name on my photo ID is different than my preferred name on my badge?
This is no problem! When picking up your winning pass, we will verify the name on your ID against the name used to enter the drawing and verify the photo. We will verify that you have a valid convention badge, but we understand that many attendees use a different preferred name on their badge. This will not disadvantage you in the drawing in any way.
If someone gives me a pass and I already had one for that session can I get more things signed?
No, passes are limited to one per person, per session.
Can I get my picture taken with the guest?
To make sure we get through as many people as possible, we ask that guests don't pose during the autograph sessions. If you would like a photo taken, a Kumoricon staff member will be able to take pictures while the guest is signing for you. We do request you ask permission before using flash for photographs.
What about photo ops?
Kumoricon does not offer comic con-style photo ops with guests at this time.
I'm a VIP. Can I attend the regularly scheduled autograph sessions?
Absolutely! However, VIPs do not get priority access during the normal autograph sessions, and if choosing to attend a non-VIP session, must participate in the random pass drawing. For a more exclusive autograph session with our Guests of Honor, please attend the VIP autograph session.
Will all VIPs get autographs from all guests?
While all guests are encouraged to participate in the VIP Autograph Session, sometimes due to scheduling constraints it is not possible for every guest to be present. All guests that will be participating in the VIP Autograph Sessions will be announced with the programming schedule.
Do I need a pass for the VIP session if I'm a VIP?
No, your VIP badge will grant you access to the VIP autograph session.
Can I get a photo with a guest at the VIP signing?
Photos are at the discretion of the guest during the VIP signing.
Can my non-VIP friend join me at the VIP session if they aren't getting an autograph?
Unfortunately to avoid confusion and to assist with making sure every VIP member is accommodated within the VIP session we ask that only VIP members attend the VIP autograph session. If you have a parent/guardian, or ADA attendant that does not have a VIP membership, please contact email@example.com for more information.
When will the VIP signing be?
The time of the VIP session(s) will be announced with the rest of the programming schedule.
Do I need to get a pass if I require disabilities accommodations?
Yes. Please let the Autograph staff know when picking up your pass that you require accommodation so they can identify your pass as such.
What if I have a disability that prevents me from standing for long periods of time? Do I still need to wait in line to get a pass/the autograph line?
Please let a member of Autograph staff know that you need accommodation and we will do our best to accommodate you.
What do I need to do if I get a pass?
Please proceed to your autograph session with your autograph pass. In order to best accommodate you, we recommend arriving 30 minutes prior to the start time. Attendants for persons with disabilities are permitted to accompany the passholder. If you require additional assistance, please make that clear to the Autograph staff in the autographs area. Please visit the Operations Office for further accessibility accommodations throughout the convention.
Please visit the Staff Autographs Q&A (staff login required) for more information on staff autograph sessions.
If you have further questions which are not answered above, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll be happy to assist you.