Cosplay Lip Sync Showdown
Cosplay Lip Sync Showdown
Join us for the Cosplay Lip Sync Showdown, where cosplayers of all ages get on stage and lip-sync for their lives.
Online applications are due by Saturday, October 10, 2020, at 11:59pm.
- All participants must read and agree to follow all rules of the Cosplay Lip Sync Showdown.
- Performances previously entered in a Kumoricon Cosplay Lip Sync Showdown are ineligible.
- By registering for the Cosplay Lip Sync Showdown, all participants agree to allow Kumoricon to use their images for promotional purposes, both photographs and video. Photographs of winning entries may be shown at the Kumoricon Closing Ceremonies.
- All event policies must be upheld during the entirety of the Cosplay Lip Sync Showdown competition. Anyone breaking Kumoricon rules will be disqualified.
- Kumoricon regular staff may enter Cosplay Lip Sync Showdown as long as staff-related responsibilities are fulfilled.
- Kumoricon board members may not compete in the Cosplay Lip Sync Showdown.
How to Enter
- Sign-up for the DigiKumo 2020 Cosplay Lip Sync Showdown is now open.
- The deadline for online entry is October 10, 2020, at 11:59pm.
- This year, participants will submit their performances online. To do so you must:
- Submit a 3-minute video of your final lip sync performance.
- *(optional) Submit a video of your Showdown performance.
- *A link to Showdown audio and the Showdown video upload form will be sent with your confirmation email upon receiving your application. To be considered for the Showdown (and Champion Title), please make sure to upload your Showdown video performance based on the Showdown audio.
- Please do not use filters (TikTok, Snapchat, etc.) on your video. Any video with heavy filters will not be considered.
- Entrants will be chosen by a small panel of judges and contacted within a week of the submission deadline.
- The chosen performance videos will be played fully during the Virtual Lip Sync. Requested descriptions will be read by our hosts before the performance and judges comments will be read after for each contestant.
- The Showdown videos of our 2 finalists will be played side-by-side for our Finale and our Champion will be decided by the hosts, live, day of.
- Kumoricon is an all-ages-friendly event. Content should not go beyond a mild PG-13.
- Offensive language of any kind is not allowed—no racial or sexual epithets; no profanity, etc.
- No excessive violence.
- All sexual jokes must have a non-sexual interpretation that is at least as obvious as the sexual one.
- No nudity—all costumes must adhere to the official Kumoricon rules.
- Be clever, not crass! If you think your costume or presentation might be too risqué or offensive, it probably is.
- If you have a question about your content, please feel free to ask the Lip Sync Staff if it is allowable.
- Contestants may not use performance time to make political, religious, insulting, or other demonstrations not related to their entry.
- All decisions made by the Lip Sync Coordinator or Director of Programming are final and may only be changed by a formal challenge though Programming.
Contestants are judged solely on their performance. Costume construction has no influence on the performance judging.
- All entrants must give a performance.
- Judges Comments will be read for each performance as not everyone is able to be present for the live show; safety comes first.
- Each contestant will appear in only one entry video.
- The judges are free to give as many or as few awards as they choose.
- Awards may include: Judge's Choice, Audience Choice, and the Ultimate Showdown Award.
- Performance will be judged based on the performance of the contestant/whole group.
- Performance awards are granted to the entries that have shown excellent virtual presentation.
- Costumes do not have to be self-made.
- No entry may be a repeat of an entry from any previous competition at Kumoricon.
- Staging guidelines for filming:
- "Waist-up" Performances – Filmed vertically, "TikTok style", no edits, one take. You may not use filters, speed changes, or visual effects in your performance. You may take advantage of the smaller frame and close up potential.
- "Full Stage" Performances – Filmed horizontally. No edits, one take. You may not use filters, speed changes, or visual effects in your performance. You may take advantage of a full-body approach and utilize your space to the best of your ability.
- Entry is limited to one (1) entry per person/group.
- Songs may be from any category, but are limited to 3 minutes.
- No heavily edited audio (added voice lines, original medleys, etc.). Published "mashups" are acceptable. Editing for time is okay.
The "Showdown": Performance to the Same Song Clip
You can't have a true showdown without a face-off Finale! Contestants will be given a song clip of Judge's choice prior to the event. The top two contestants' videos will be played live for the judges to decide the winner and Virtual Lip Sync Champion!
Please email our Lip Sync team with any questions at email@example.com.