Cosplay Lip Sync Showdown
You asked for it and we're here to deliver! Join us for the first-ever Cosplay Lip Sync Showdown, where cosplayers of all ages get on stage and lip-sync for their lives.
Online entries are due by October 14, 2017, at 11:59pm.
If there are still available slots after the online form closes, we will accept in-person applications at the Programming Booth until 6pm on Friday, October 27, 2017. The in-person form will replace the online form on the website once the online form closes. Please come with your music and printed lyrics.
- All participants must have a Kumoricon 2017 badge.
- All participants must read and agree to follow all rules of the Cosplay Lip Sync Showdown.
- By registering for the Cosplay Lip Sync Showdown, all participants agree to allow Kumoricon to use their images for promotional purposes, both photographs and video. Photographs of winning entries may be shown at the Kumoricon Closing Ceremonies.
- All convention policies must be upheld during the entirety of the Cosplay Lip Sync Showdown competition. Anyone breaking Kumoricon rules will be disqualified and reported to Operations or Yojimbo.
- Kumoricon regular staff may enter Cosplay Lip Sync Showdown as long as staff-related responsibilities are fulfilled.
- Kumoricon Board members may not compete in the Cosplay Lip Sync Showdown.
How to Enter
- Sign-up for the Kumoricon 2017 Cosplay Lip Sync Showdown is now open.
- The deadline for online forms is October 14, 2017, at 11:59pm. At-convention sign-ups may be available should any open slots remain.
- The total number that will be allowed this year will be 14 acts.
- All entries are taken on a first-come, first-served basis. If all entry slots are full, there will be a waiting list for additional entrants who may be called in if any participants drop out or are disqualified.
- Entrants are required to attend the Check-In and Rehearsal and to show up at the requested time for the contest itself. Entrants who miss any of these events may be disqualified. Please see the official Kumoricon schedule for times and locations of required meetings and activities.
- Kumoricon is an all ages friendly event. Content should not go beyond PG-13.
- Offensive language of any kind is not allowed—no racial or sexual epithets; no profanity, etc.
- No excessive violence.
- All sexual jokes must have a non-sexual interpretation that is at least as obvious as the sexual one.
- No nudity—all costumes must adhere to the official Kumoricon rules.
- Be clever, not crass! If you think your costume or presentation might be too risqué or offensive, it probably is.
- If you have a question about your content, please feel free to ask the Lip Sync Staff if it is allowable.
- You may surprise the audience, but never surprise the crew.
- No fire, flame, smoke, fog, dry ice, wind machines, lasers, pressurized gases or liquids.
- No messy substances—wet, dry, or oily—in the green room or on stage.
- No jumping on or off stage—please use the officially designated stage entrances and exits.
- Entrants must abide by the convention weapons policies. All weapons must be peace bonded and approved. Pointing weapons at anyone not in your cosplay group will not be tolerated. The Lip Sync Coordinator must approve any actions involving weapons.
- Contestants may not use stage time to make political, religious, insulting, or other demonstrations not related to their entry.
- If for whatever reason one contestant is removed from competition for any violation, the entire group may be disqualified as well depending on the situation.
- All decisions made by the Lip Sync Coordinator or Director of Programming are final and may only be changed by a formal challenge though Programming.
- You must have some kind of foot covering. Shoes or boots are required. Be aware of safety concerns. If your character does not wear shoes the lack of accuracy will be forgiven; consider flesh-toned or clear shoes.
Contestants are judged solely on their performance. Costume construction has no influence on the performance judging.
- All entrants must give a performance.
- Contestants will be assigned a numerical score by each judge based on vocal/singing performance, and showmanship/presentation. In addition, "Coolness Points" can be earned. Coolness Points can be earned for anything which, simply, in the judge's determination, is cool, and can add an additional bonus to the score. The scores from each judge are then tallied to come up with a total score for the contestant.
- Each contestant will appear in only one stage performance.
- The judges are free to give as many or as few awards as they choose.
- Awards may include: Judges Choice, Audience Choice, and the Ultimate Showdown Award.
- Performance will be judged based on the performance of the contestant/whole group.
- Performance awards are granted to the entries that have shown excellent stage presentation.
- Costumes do not have to be self-made.
- Contestants must provide their own music.
- File uploads are preferred for online entries.
- Alternately, you may deliver your file by USB thumb drive or CD.
- For this method, please include your person/group name and performance name in the filename. (File uploads for online entries will be automatically renamed by our system, so the file name on your computer does not matter.)
- One track is preferred; we cannot change tracks or start in the middle of a track.
- We can accept MP3, M4A, and other common file types. We strongly prefer 128kbps or higher.
- Recorded music must be clear to hear.
- Do not submit valuable original CDs. Bring backup copies of your audio on USB thumb drive or CD to ensure it's not lost. Kumoricon is not responsible for damage to or loss of CDs or any other media.
- Clearly label your back-up CD with person/group name and performance title.
- We will not play or rip music off portable MP3 players, such as iPods or cell phones.
- Leave the stage as clean as it was when you set foot on it. Arrange to remove all items you brought on stage at the end of your presentation. If you have a particularly intricate presentation, we recommend you recruit your own stage ninjas.
- Don't plan for complex lighting. The default lighting cue is: lights go up, music starts, you come on at stage right, you leave on stage left, music stops, lights go down. If you desire anything other than default lighting or music cues, discuss it with the Lip Sync Coordinator before the convention.
- Entry is limited to one (1) entry per person/group.
- Songs may be from any category, but are limited to 3 minutes.
- You must include the lyrics for the song you are using so that we may review for approval. If the song is not in English, you must include lyrics in the original language and the English translation.
- Be prepared to sing at least two different songs. If two people have the same song, one or both will be asked to sing an alternate song.
You can't have a true showdown without a face off! Contestants will be given a song of Judge's choice prior to con to practice for the final lip sync performance! The top two contestants will face off at the end of the event for the Ultimate Showdown Award!
Important: You must check yourself in at Main Events at 12:00 noon on Sunday, October 29 to confirm your spot in the Cosplay Lip Sync Showdown.
Please email our Lip Sync team with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cosplay Lip Sync Showdown online entries are now closed.