Fan Fiction Contest
- Stories must be based on characters and settings from any anime, manga, Japanese video game, or Japanese musical group. Stories based on cartoons, books, movies, or video games from other areas of the world may also be allowed as long as elements from Japanese culture are included. Two examples of this would be Avatar: The Last Airbender or Teen Titans, both of which have very heavy Japanese influences but were created in the United States. It will be at the discretion of the judges to decide whether an entry is eligible under these guidelines.
- Crossovers are allowed.
- No completely original fiction will be accepted. Entries must be fan fiction.
- Original characters are allowed, but must be within the setting of the chosen series/game/band and interacting with other fandom characters.
- Only completed works are allowed to be entered.
- Entries must be written by the person submitting them. No submissions will be accepted by proxy. All instances of plagiarism will result in disqualification from the contest and any future Fan Fiction Contests by Kumoricon.
- Only stories rated K through M on the fiction rating system will be announced at Closing Ceremonies. Winning entries submitted under the 18+ category will be announced separately. https://www.fictionratings.com/ Materials that are not correctly rated will be disqualified.
- Winning entries previously entered in any Kumoricon Fan Fiction Contests are not eligible. However, a previously entered entry that has not won first or second place may be entered again.
- Judging Criteria includes:
- Readability. Please have someone else proofread your entry. Judges may disqualify stories with extensive grammar and spelling errors.
- Engaging characters.
Entries will be judged in the following categories:
These are suggestions; actual categories depend on the number of entries received. The judges reserve the right to combine or create other categories as they see fit. (Just because you are the only one submitting in a category does not mean you win by default.)
- Novel (100,000 words or more)
Winners will be announced during Closing Ceremonies.
- Entries should be single-spaced, with a line break between each paragraph.
- A summary of, or a link to a wiki about, the original source material would be much appreciated. Not all judges follow the same things. See the entry form.
- Entrants must attend the Fan Fiction Contest Critique panel on Sunday to win.
Use the form below to submit digital files. Please make a separate submission for each entry.
Entries submitted at con will also need the following information submitted:
- Your real name
- Your pen name (optional)
- Your email address
- The title of your entry
- Word count
- A brief summary of your entry, and a link to the source's wiki
- The title(s) of the Japanese anime/manga/etc. franchise your entry is based on
- Which categories (up to two) that you wish to submit your entry under
Novel entries (100,000 words or more) must be received online by 11:59pm on October 7th, and cannot be submitted by hard copy.
All other entries (either online or brought into the Programming Office as a hard copy) must be received by 11:59pm on Friday, October 27th.
Please email email@example.com for any questions.