Fan Fiction Contest
Entry galleries for previous contests
- Fan Fiction Contest Entry Gallery for DigiKumo 2020
- Fan Fiction Contest Entry Gallery for Kumoricon 2021 (coming soon)
- Stories must be based on characters and settings from any anime, manga, Japanese drama, Japanese video game, or Japanese musical group.
- Stories based on cartoons, books, movies, or video games from other areas of the world may also be allowed as long as elements from Japanese culture are included. Two examples of this would be Avatar: The Last Airbender or Teen Titans, both of which have very heavy Japanese influences but were created in the United States. It will be at the discretion of the judges to decide whether an entry is eligible under these guidelines.
- Crossovers are allowed.
- No completely original fiction will be accepted. Entries must be fan fiction.
- Original characters are allowed, but must be within the setting of the chosen series/game/band and interacting with other fandom characters.
- Only completed works are allowed to be entered.
- Entries must be written by the person submitting them. No submissions will be accepted by proxy. All instances of plagiarism will result in disqualification from the contest and any future Fan Fiction Contests by Kumoricon.
- You must give a rating to your entry based on the fiction ratings system. Materials that are clearly incorrectly rated will be disqualified (such as labeling an M as a K+ for example).
- Winning entries from any previous Kumoricon Fan Fiction Contest are not eligible.
- Judging criteria include:
- Readability. (Please have someone else beta* your entry—do not trust your autocorrect.) Judges may disqualify stories with extensive grammar and spelling errors.
- Engaging characters.
- Dialogue that enhances and supports the story.
- Emotional response.
*Beta reader—someone who reads your story before submission or publication who can advise of things such as: spelling errors, grammatical errors, continuity errors, plot holes, out of character behavior, etc.
Categories primarily exist to let the judges know what to expect. These are suggestions; actual categories depend on the number of entries received. Winners are chosen by their quality, not their category. The judges reserve the right to combine or create other categories as they see fit. (Just because you are the only one entering in a category does not mean you win by default, nor does it mean that if you win, it will be in your chosen category.)
- Slice of Life
- Space Opera
Format type examples
- Poetry or haiku
- Novel (100,000 words or more)
Winners will be announced during Closing Ceremonies, and notified shortly before during the Fan Fiction Contest Feedback Panel.
- Entries should be single-spaced, with a line break between each paragraph.
- A summary of, or a link to a wiki about, the original source material would be much appreciated. This is especially important if there is a backstory that the reader must know to truly understand the story. Not all judges follow the same things. See the entry form.
- You must be present on Sunday of the convention at the Fan Fiction Contest Feedback panel in order to pick up a prize for winning, but you don't need to be present in order for your entry to win an award.
- If you would like feedback or to find out if you won (and to pick up your prize) prior to Closing Ceremonies, please attend the Fan Fiction Contest Feedback panel. (See the official Kumoricon schedule (once released) for the time and location of the panel.) Feedback will be given out at the front of the room one at a time, after announcing the winners, to those who would like it.
Use the form below to submit digital files. Please make a separate submission for each entry.
Novel entries (100,000 words or more) must be received online by 11:59pm on Friday, October 21, 2022.
All other online entries must be received by 11:59pm on Friday, November 4, 2022.
Online entries are preferred. But short fics can be entered at the convention in the Programming Office no later than 9:00pm on Saturday, November 12, 2022.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
Check out our channel on the Kumoricon Discord server.