Author Topic: SAY IT! Get it off your Chest./It Just Bugs Me (Kumoricon 2010 Edition)  (Read 39640 times)

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
Re: SAY IT! Get it off your Chest./It Just Bugs Me (Kumoricon 2010 Edition)
« Reply #150 on: November 05, 2010, 09:20:22 pm »
The glomp circle in Pioneer Square. That's all fine and dandy if you wanna do that, but to yell out, "EVERYBODY GLOMP *INSERT CHARACTER HERE*!!!1111!!!" And then chase that person down when they're NOT EVEN IN THE CIRCLE is unacceptable.

When my Depp group and I walked into the Square for a photoshoot this happened to all of us. And our Hatter has a fragile costume, so that really pissed me off. When they tried to do it to me a second time I yelled at them to back the hell off and glared at them for all I was worth.

Seriously, how could they think it was acceptable to do that?

THAT. IS. NOT. OK.

Basically this "Sh**" happened to me when I was with a couple friends as Sebastian Michealis there. I decided to sit down and chill for a bit till this random fangirl screamed my character's name,and literally the whole group chased me..I ran of course and my friend yelled and told them to stop and managed to make a diversion and yes that day my feet were sore due to my dress shoes and I don't appreciate these people going on ahead and doing such stupid acts that would get them selves arrested.

There were couple con-goers who did piss me off quite a bit due to this outcome.

I'm so sorry that happened to you too. It just baffles me. I was just lucky that my costume aided me in protecting my group the second time. The first time there was really no time to think or act. :/ But I think you'd have to be an idiot to try that crap again when I've got my straight razor pulled and am glaring at you for all I'm worth in one 5'2'' ball of in-character terror.

Sweeney Todd fending off the glomp circle. Best in-character moment I've ever had. Looking back on it that was pretty epic. But still, no bueno on their part.

No bueno.

Which is why its best to just add a rule saying have only physical interaction with people you know or have approval from AT THAT TIME. If you don't follow said rule, Kumoricon is not held liable for any actions of personal defense. 
Hey ya'll I'll be starting school so time on these forums will me limited.  I will still respond to PM's so if you need to get a hold of me, PM me or send me a message on MySpace.

GGPO

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #151 on: November 05, 2010, 09:21:06 pm »
We got wind of this and did our very best to stop this from happening.

Every year some group thinks its funny to give out alcohol to minors and every year we find them and boot them.

Its against the law. Plain and simple.
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline steelychan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #152 on: November 05, 2010, 09:28:41 pm »
The glomp circle in Pioneer Square. That's all fine and dandy if you wanna do that, but to yell out, "EVERYBODY GLOMP *INSERT CHARACTER HERE*!!!1111!!!" And then chase that person down when they're NOT EVEN IN THE CIRCLE is unacceptable.

When my Depp group and I walked into the Square for a photoshoot this happened to all of us. And our Hatter has a fragile costume, so that really pissed me off. When they tried to do it to me a second time I yelled at them to back the hell off and glared at them for all I was worth.

THAT. IS. NOT. OK.

Basically this "Sh**" happened to me when I was with a couple friends as Sebastian Michealis there. I decided to sit down and chill for a bit till this random fangirl screamed my character's name,and literally the whole group chased me..I ran of course and my friend yelled and told them to stop and managed to make a diversion and yes that day my feet were sore due to my dress shoes and I don't appreciate these people going on ahead and doing such stupid acts that would get them selves arrested.

There were couple con-goers who did piss me off quite a bit due to this outcome.

I'm so sorry that happened to you too. It just baffles me. I was just lucky that my costume aided me in protecting my group the second time. The first time there was really no time to think or act. :/ But I think you'd have to be an idiot to try that crap again when I've got my straight razor pulled and am glaring at you for all I'm worth in one 5'2'' ball of in-character terror.

Sweeney Todd fending off the glomp circle. Best in-character moment I've ever had. Looking back on it that was pretty epic. But still, no bueno on their part.

No bueno.

Which is why its best to just add a rule saying have only physical interaction with people you know or have approval from AT THAT TIME. If you don't follow said rule, Kumoricon is not held liable for any actions of personal defense. 

you can add in as many reminders/ rules as you want. but there will always be some fangirl who will forget and glomp the cosplayer. its just one of the dangers of being a cosplayer. im not saying we shouldnt remind people, but just be aware that people will forget.
Kumoricon 2011 cosplays:
Day0: Hunny (Ouran Host Club) COMPLETE
Day1 (possibly late night panels): Ran Mao (Black Butler) 50%
Day2: Kaoru Hitachin (Ouran Host Club) 90%
Ball/Rave: May (pokemon)
Day3: pirate

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #153 on: November 05, 2010, 09:31:58 pm »

THAT. IS. NOT. OK.

No bueno.

you can add in as many reminders/ rules as you want. but there will always be some fangirl who will forget and glomp the cosplayer. its just one of the dangers of being a cosplayer. im not saying we shouldnt remind people, but just be aware that people will forget.

This is true, but at the same instance, it also needs to be added in that IF you do have unwanted physical interaction with someone and its reported, with witnesses, your con-going privileges will be revoked and you will be sent home and removed/banned from that years con, or, if it needs to be done as well, banned from the next years con as well.
Hey ya'll I'll be starting school so time on these forums will me limited.  I will still respond to PM's so if you need to get a hold of me, PM me or send me a message on MySpace.

GGPO

Offline steelychan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #154 on: November 05, 2010, 09:35:39 pm »
that seems a little extreme. but i guess it just depends on the situation. people should respect other peoples space. but being banned from the con seems a little extreme.
Kumoricon 2011 cosplays:

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #155 on: November 05, 2010, 09:40:34 pm »
that seems a little extreme. but i guess it just depends on the situation. people should respect other peoples space. but being banned from the con seems a little extreme.

The way I see it, If someone knows there is a risk of being banned from something they love, it's good to put that rule in.  Especially when there is a risk of someone invading someones personal space, and that person has very good reflexes thus resulting in a con-goer being hurt.

In all essence, I personally believe that the act of "glomping" needs to be looked at as assault because that is what it is.

GGPO

Offline steelychan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #156 on: November 05, 2010, 09:46:21 pm »
i guess... maybe they should have at least one warning and then they can be removed from con. your point makes sense but people should at least be forewarned that they are invading personal space.
Kumoricon 2011 cosplays:

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #157 on: November 05, 2010, 09:49:26 pm »
i guess... maybe they should have at least one warning and then they can be removed from con. your point makes sense but people should at least be forewarned that they are invading personal space.

Problem is though is that yeah, they might get one warning, but the person being attacked won't know that.  So it's almost like its a freebie since its a warning.

GGPO

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #158 on: November 05, 2010, 10:14:45 pm »
This is true, but at the same instance, it also needs to be added in that IF you do have unwanted physical interaction with someone and its reported, with witnesses, your con-going privileges will be revoked and you will be sent home and removed/banned from that years con, or, if it needs to be done as well, banned from the next years con as well.

You know what? That's a good idea. Had I gotten names or badge numbers I would have reported the incident in a heartbeat. A glomp circle shouldn't be a safety hazard, and unfortunately that's what its turned into. Unwanted contact like that IS assault, and IS a crime. I think this needs to be stressed more in the con handbook or posted somewhere in the actual con space.

Just because you're a cosplayer doesn't mean you have to be subjected to unwanted and unconsented physical contact. People should be able to contain themselves, and if they can't respect common boundaries and be considerate, then they need to get kicked out of the con space. Plain and simple.

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #159 on: November 05, 2010, 10:22:24 pm »
Also, just another note, that if its also a photoshoot and someone decides to interfere in something you are doing, well, some photographers won't put up with that, and it could wind up with you getting chewed out.

Just sayin.

GGPO

Offline steelychan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #160 on: November 05, 2010, 10:25:36 pm »
i can understand that. ive never done a con shoot so i wouldnt know. (not very photo friendly. i like to be the one taking photos)
Kumoricon 2011 cosplays:

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #161 on: November 05, 2010, 10:28:15 pm »
i can understand that. ive never done a con shoot so i wouldnt know. (not very photo friendly. i like to be the one taking photos)

Same here, so you'd get what I'm saying when you're getting shots composed then half your group runs away when some idiot decides that unwanted physical attention is A-okay because its a con

GGPO

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #162 on: November 05, 2010, 10:57:52 pm »

You know what? That's a good idea. Had I gotten names or badge numbers I would have reported the incident in a heartbeat. A glomp circle shouldn't be a safety hazard, and unfortunately that's what its turned into. Unwanted contact like that IS assault, and IS a crime. I think this needs to be stressed more in the con handbook or posted somewhere in the actual con space.

Just because you're a cosplayer doesn't mean you have to be subjected to unwanted and unconsented physical contact. People should be able to contain themselves, and if they can't respect common boundaries and be considerate, then they need to get kicked out of the con space. Plain and simple.

One problem with this.  Because we disallow glomp circles, they are often outside of con space.  We can't really enforce rules our on people when they are offsite.  We can take certain actions on attendees within con space, but our authority stops at the door. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #163 on: November 05, 2010, 11:15:20 pm »

One problem with this.  Because we disallow glomp circles, they are often outside of con space.  We can't really enforce rules our on people when they are offsite.  We can take certain actions on attendees within con space, but our authority stops at the door. 

While I understand this, there needs to be some kind of rule in place, like if you are wearing your convention badge, you are still part of, and representing Kumirocon, even if not in the hotel space. Now if they take it off and then they physically interact with someone and are injured because of it, then it becomes a problem with Portland Police and the individuals, but if they are wearing a con badge, they are still representing Kumoricon.

GGPO

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #164 on: November 06, 2010, 05:28:15 am »
While I understand this, there needs to be some kind of rule in place, like if you are wearing your convention badge, you are still part of, and representing Kumirocon, even if not in the hotel space. Now if they take it off and then they physically interact with someone and are injured because of it, then it becomes a problem with Portland Police and the individuals, but if they are wearing a con badge, they are still representing Kumoricon.

That's far too much of an intrusion on people's private lives. When they leave site, the badge is owned by the attendee, as a souvenir. Attendees don't represent the convention (though staff do, within the limits of their staff positions--regardless of whether they are actually wearing the physical badge at that time).
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #165 on: November 06, 2010, 07:00:05 am »
Just my two cents, but I'm starting to think talking to people about it (like this) and making them aware of how others could be hurt by their actions is the best defense of all. Banning behaviors has its place, but it should be a last resort even when it is possible. (It's not possible in this case, as JeffT said.)

People hate being told what to do without a reason.

But people also hate the thought of hurting others, if they're aware of it.*

* - Unless they're damaged in the head, that is. But that's only a tiny fraction of any group, and those people tend to make themselves obvious in a way that others would know not to follow their example.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #166 on: November 06, 2010, 12:12:44 pm »
I now understand that Kumoricon's authority stops at the door, thanks for clearing that up. ;) It's just unfortunate that because they still have the badge on them, they're giving the con bad publicity with their actions. Sad indeed.

I still think that perhaps making it a point to address this issue in the con handbook or posted clearly in the con space could really help. Making people aware is the best thing we can all do. I'd hate to see this happen again next year.

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline steelychan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #167 on: November 06, 2010, 12:18:19 pm »
yeah. maybe make it a point to train the yoji and info booth staff to politely remind people to respect people's space.
Kumoricon 2011 cosplays:

Offline Pots

• Chibi
« Reply #168 on: November 06, 2010, 09:35:46 pm »
The staff should be less scary D:::. I got yelled at when I was looking for the restroom. I guess I was going the wrong way...

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #169 on: November 06, 2010, 10:38:37 pm »
Well.. it is so loud, they do have to raise their voices to get your attention.. ^^;;

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline linksimposter69

• Catgirl
« Reply #170 on: November 06, 2010, 11:29:38 pm »
1 thing that bugged me.... A staff yelled at me for not having a parent when im 13... I'm just SHORT! ans then she was all your short. i felt so mad

Offline steelychan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #171 on: November 07, 2010, 12:27:22 am »
1 thing that bugged me.... A staff yelled at me for not having a parent when im 13... I'm just SHORT! ans then she was all your short. i felt so mad
ah come on. you arent that short. you came up to my shoulders at least. and i didne have that issue. no staff member bugged me. i had an issue trying to find the info booth though.
Kumoricon 2011 cosplays:

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #172 on: November 07, 2010, 05:16:47 am »
yeah. maybe make it a point to train the yoji and info booth staff to politely remind people to respect people's space.

All staff get some degree of training, though whether it's enough is always open to debate. There are a lot of things to cover, everything from how to deal with serious troublemakers of the kind kylite was just talking about (or worse), to how to explain to a Sexy no Jutsu cosplayer that three strategically-placed cotton balls don't meet dress code.

But at some point, there really isn't much more we can do - and unfortunately, there's almost nothing we can do about things outside conspace. We can remind people until we're blue in the face in the con handbook, con policies, forum postings, bag stuffers... but people don't always get how this applies to them, not just "those other people." Ultimately, the decision to be considerate or to be inconsiderate lies with the individual.

This is where the "Evil Monkey" principle becomes important. People may or may not care about what's printed in a con book, but they do care if they see other people looking at them reproachfully when they try to jump on someone. Or if they see their actions (not them, their actions) described in a forum posting as being the reason someone almost got hurt. Or if they hear one of the people beside them yell "Wait, STOP! No chasing people!" People are a whole lot less likely to do something wrong if even one person questions it than if they think "everyone" is doing it too.

There's only so much we can do to change people's perceptions. We're the cranky, mean old staff who want to keep you guys from having fun, after all. ;)  But there's a lot that you guys can do just by talking about it, and by saying something when you see things like this happen.

Sometimes you have to be the change you want to see.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 05:24:04 am by randompvg »
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline pyronine

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • My anime list
« Reply #173 on: November 07, 2010, 09:37:14 am »
I am sorry that a staff member yelled at you, however it can be loud. I am curious though, what color was your badge? If it was red and not yellow, that would be why.

*fyi*
If your 13th birthday falls on any day of con after con Saturday (day 1), then you would be issued a child badge and therefore would be required to have an adult present. Upon your 13th birthday on Sunday (day2) or Monday (day3) you can have your badge changed to a youth. The same would go for a youth turning 18, and it would be a day earlier as we have 18 and over rated content on Friday (day 0). Due to state law we can not have anyone under 18 attending regardless if they turn 18 a few hrs later.

=^_^=

Offline linksimposter69

• Catgirl
« Reply #174 on: November 07, 2010, 02:18:36 pm »
it wasnt red nor blue it was the badge that lets you be there without a parent and i dont blame for the yelling it was pretty loud. and my birthday is before con

Offline Sui Fong

• Chibi
« Reply #175 on: November 07, 2010, 08:46:02 pm »
it wasnt red nor blue it was the badge that lets you be there without a parent and i dont blame for the yelling it was pretty loud. and my birthday is before con

I'm sorry sum1 yelled as well! I'm super short (or fun-sized depending on how u look at it) and 22, and a staff person started to ask me something about it, until i turned my badge around (dunno how it had gotten turned over). It helped tho that I was dressed as Soi Fon; no one questions Soi Fon. ;) us short people just gotta fight for our rights to walk alone!
2013 (in the works): Soi Fong (Bleach), Faith (Mirrors Edge), Agito/Akito (Air Gear)
Stay tuned for more information at a later date.

Offline linksimposter69

• Catgirl
« Reply #176 on: November 07, 2010, 08:50:48 pm »

I'm sorry sum1 yelled as well! I'm super short (or fun-sized depending on how u look at it) and 22, and a staff person started to ask me something about it, until i turned my badge around (dunno how it had gotten turned over). It helped tho that I was dressed as Soi Fon; no one questions Soi Fon. ;) us short people just gotta fight for our rights to walk alone!
I WILL BE 14 NEXT CON YAY AND STILL SOOPER SHORT :D

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #177 on: November 07, 2010, 08:56:22 pm »
Every con needs some chibis. ^^

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline linksimposter69

• Catgirl
« Reply #178 on: November 07, 2010, 08:59:41 pm »
why thank you reppy ;D how very nice chibis are cool but getting yelled at for it isnt worth it

Offline steelychan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #179 on: November 07, 2010, 09:01:37 pm »
Every con needs some chibis. ^^
chibi power all the way and yes linksimposter, its not worth it.
Kumoricon 2011 cosplays:

Offline linksimposter69

• Catgirl
« Reply #180 on: November 07, 2010, 09:03:36 pm »
it i for being loved but its not for getting yelled at

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #181 on: November 07, 2010, 10:10:40 pm »
^ Huh?
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Javie

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #182 on: November 08, 2010, 10:39:09 pm »

I WILL BE 14 NEXT CON YAY AND STILL SOOPER SHORT :D

But you will end up acquiring the "Yellow Minor" badge in that case if you end up pre-ordering :) I bet you will grow a bit taller hehe.
Plans for 2015

-*Maybe* Mikasa Ackerman (Attack on Titan)
-Ryuko Matoi (Kill la Kill)
-Ruby Rose (RWBY)
-Sister Paula (Trinity Blood)
-Akame (Akame ga Kill!)
-Aqua or Ventus (Kingdom Hearts)
-Sebastian (Kuroshitsuji)

Offline linksimposter69

• Catgirl
« Reply #183 on: November 08, 2010, 10:39:42 pm »
YELLOW BADGE?

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #184 on: November 08, 2010, 11:47:10 pm »
Yep. Means you're a Minor. Can't do any of the fun after-hours stuff and other such interesting things.

You'll have that color badge until you're 18, and then you get the mighty Blue Badge Of Righteousness And Adultness. Captialized.

Offline linksimposter69

• Catgirl
« Reply #185 on: November 09, 2010, 12:09:07 am »
I love the way that was put. but when does pre reg become availibe?

Offline pyronine

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • My anime list
=^_^=

Offline linksimposter69

• Catgirl
« Reply #187 on: November 09, 2010, 02:59:55 pm »
I love the way that was put. but when does pre reg become availibe?

http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=13835.0

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #188 on: November 09, 2010, 03:18:39 pm »
^ I'm pretty sure that pre-reg is open.  There were people who said that they registered for '11 during the last day of KCon '10, and I'm pretty sure I saw pre-reg forms at the mini-con.

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #189 on: November 09, 2010, 07:44:49 pm »
^ I'm pretty sure that pre-reg is open.  There were people who said that they registered for '11 during the last day of KCon '10, and I'm pretty sure I saw pre-reg forms at the mini-con.

Online pre-reg isn't open yet.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #190 on: November 09, 2010, 07:48:16 pm »
^ Oh; my bad.  Any idea when it'll be open?

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #191 on: November 09, 2010, 08:22:18 pm »
^ Oh; my bad.  Any idea when it'll be open?

Nothing's been announced yet. This is unofficial, but I think sooner rather than later.

Offline linksimposter69

• Catgirl
« Reply #192 on: November 09, 2010, 08:24:54 pm »
Yes i think we are all waiting for that moment

Offline steelychan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #193 on: November 10, 2010, 08:03:55 am »
the blue badge of rightousness is so nice. it was what made being 18 so worth it. so many good panels... so little time.
Kumoricon 2011 cosplays:

Offline pyronine

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • My anime list
« Reply #194 on: November 10, 2010, 11:10:50 am »

Until the site rolls over, we can not have Online registration or Mail-in (apparently). But we have had registration at mini-events.

I would love to say when it will be available, but the website needs to roll over to 2011 before anything can happen.
=^_^=

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #195 on: November 10, 2010, 11:44:19 pm »

Until the site rolls over, we can not have Online registration or Mail-in (apparently). But we have had registration at mini-events.

I would love to say when it will be available, but the website needs to roll over to 2011 before anything can happen.

Pyro is correct on this. Until I have everything greenlighted for the website and prepared for the simultaneous roll over (It's more than just pretty pretty pictures yo! This takes some work! and I'm still learning Publicity!) I wont be letting reg open there stuff.

A clean opening of the new website IS coming, which will include the awesome sauce of pre-reg! I really like whats coming for the website, and the potential for even more awesome things!

Don't worry folks, we wont let you go without registering for much longer, we just want to make sure the website and the programs are the BEST they can BE before you see'em, nothing half baked is coming out of my Publicity Kitchen!

^_^
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #196 on: November 11, 2010, 12:22:02 am »
YAY!!!  Looking forward to seeing what's in store for us!

Offline linksimposter69

• Catgirl
« Reply #197 on: November 11, 2010, 12:46:23 am »
YAY!!!  Looking forward to seeing what's in store for us!
Hmm Hmm agreed

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #198 on: November 11, 2010, 07:04:45 am »
I also look forward to seeing the fruits of your labor! Not to mention...I REALLY want to register lol. :P

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #199 on: November 11, 2010, 12:14:19 pm »
^ Have you considered signing up for staff?