Author Topic: SAY IT! Get it off your Chest./It Just Bugs Me (Kumoricon 2010 Edition)  (Read 39623 times)

Offline Classy Viking

• Chibi
    • My Random the Thoughts through the Days
We all have something that bugs us, something that we found just especially annoying about the con this year.
So I think it's time to vent. What did you find annoying during the con.
But let's not name any names, or attack anyone, just vent what annoyed us.

I'll start:
On Day 2 the Staff member who had to keep the head count for the gaming area, didn't and then this lead to the fire marshall kicking everyone out, in order for the head count to start over. This irked me a lot.
BUNCH OF BABY DUCKS
SEEND THEM TO THE MOON~

Junior Cadet of the TD BRO CHAD

My [Censored] belong to Nikki J

Offline pepito

• Sailor Scout
Re: SAY IT! Get it off your Chest./It Just Bugs Me (Kumoricon 2010 Edition)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 07:24:16 pm »
That was actually a result of attendees exiting through the entrance of gaming. It got our count off by 5-10 an hour which eventually lead to us needing to reset the count. With the last minute change of gaming to the sub parking area from the Executive Tower we were caught a little off guard with the fire codes issues. I'm sorry for any irks this caused

Offline Classy Viking

• Chibi
    • My Random the Thoughts through the Days
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 07:26:57 pm »
Oh, that's what happen. I heard differently. Still it was an annoyance.
BUNCH OF BABY DUCKS
SEEND THEM TO THE MOON~

Junior Cadet of the TD BRO CHAD

My [Censored] belong to Nikki J

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 07:30:40 pm »
When I went down to gaming the first night after the rave, I was treated very rudely by people running it down there

I was sent in the wrong direction to find a game when I was at the right spot
Then I asked someone else, but they ignored me, sat down and talked with a bunch of people, then five minutes later turned around and said, "Oh, did you want something?" then they looked annoyed to help, and I got attitude the rest of the time

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 07:40:21 pm »
I was down at the ballroom floor. A boy and a girl were connected by a chain at the waist. A staffer/yojimbo started screaming at them to take it off. From what I can tell, they stopped immediately to remove it but he started screaming at them again to "Take it off!!!!!!"

Not really sure about the context surrounding the situation, but I didn't think it was necessary and made me feel a little uncomfortable.

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 07:48:05 pm »
Not what irked me, but what may have irked an attendee: I accidentally gave the wrong floor for a certain hotel event room when asked, sending the attendee in the wrong vertical direction. I realized it about 30 seconds later, but it was too late. Sorry. :(
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline meep

• Bunnygirl
    • blog
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 08:00:31 pm »
cosplay contest judging and prizes.
:<
they need to be better.

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 08:02:04 pm »
The Game.  Seriously.  Get over it.  Yeah, there were less people harping on it this year, but some people still haven't realized that it's just annoying. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline thesirensings

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 08:46:18 pm »
People who are loud and film stupid videos in the hallway when people are trying to sleep, and then make another video making fun of the people who yell at them for being annoying. And then proceed to put said video up on youtube. :/
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 09:10:45 pm by thesirensings »

Every breath you take and every move you make, every bond you break, every step you take, I'LL BE WATCHING YOU.

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 09:08:08 pm »
they need to be better.

QFT.

I feel like I'm being kinda rude by saying it, but the prizes for the Cosplay Contest left a lot to be desired. I'm happy with what I picked, yes, but the fact that it was all I could find that I found worth taking as a prize somewhat irked me. From what I saw there were second volumes of DVD sets, second volumes of manga, figmas from a show I've never heard of, and forgive me if I'm wrong but I do believe I saw magazine inserts that looked like they had just been torn right out of a magazine. The socks looked comfy, yeah, but what if you don't like socks? What are you stuck with then? A Sgt. Frog keychain barely worth the paper your prize receipt was printed on? How to Draw Manga? A pile of Soul Eater wall scrolls?

Wow, that was really kinda rude and I'm really sorry but it had to be said.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 09:10:30 pm »
This one's on behalf of my sister-

She tried to quickly use the restroom on the lobby level as I held her spot in line for one of the main events. She came back upset and told me that a Kumoricon staff member told her she couldn't use it, that it was for hotel guests only. She tried to tell the staff member that she IS (and WAS) paying to stay at this hotel, which the staff member then replied that it was for non convention hotel members.

This also pisses me off (and was one of the only things to do so at the con)
First off, she is a paying a hotel attendee, why the hell should the fact she had a costume on her not allow her to go to the bathroom? And that hotel was blocked for us anyway!!! For pete sake, someone has to go to the bathroom, why should something that stupid matter? That is a potential health problem!

Mine x2-
Trying to get down to the Kumori Ball was slightly annoying. I kept trying to tell the staff member at the escalator I was a volunteer for the event who had signed up on the forums, not a Kumoricon official volunteer.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 09:13:39 pm by kimiski »

Offline LexManos

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 09:18:27 pm »
Just to clarify about that, because people still don't understand.
The hotel requested that we station someone there to control traffic flow, as well as bathroom access.
During the times that the Hotel Bar/Restaurant were open, we were told to limit access to anyone who was with the convention. BUT we were also told to use our discretion. If you really had to go, there shouldn't of been a problem with letting you go. (But then again it's a heard mentality, one person goes, tons go)
The bathroom in question is the ONLY one available for non-con attendees, so it had to get some priority.

Then there are the hundreds of people who said they wanted to go to the bathroom, but really just wanted to go down the up escalator.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 09:27:42 pm »
Just to clarify about that, because people still don't understand.
The hotel requested that we station someone there to control traffic flow, as well as bathroom access.
During the times that the Hotel Bar/Restaurant were open, we were told to limit access to anyone who was with the convention. BUT we were also told to use our discretion. If you really had to go, there shouldn't of been a problem with letting you go. (But then again it's a heard mentality, one person goes, tons go)
The bathroom in question is the ONLY one available for non-con attendees, so it had to get some priority.

Then there are the hundreds of people who said they wanted to go to the bathroom, but really just wanted to go down the up escalator.

That's odd, cause she was also told she could go down the escalators to use the restroom down there. She also came from the correct side, not walking past the sign that said, exit only or whatever it said. If she argued about going, it should have been made clear she really did have to go, and she was also in a rush to go. But she ended up holding it so she wouldn't lose her spot in line, which is not healthy.

I told her she should of just stripped her costume right there and seen if that was good enough (she wasn't even in full out cosplay, she was a homemade Hogwarts student) I don't like the whole "non-costume priority" thing when someone is still a paying guest.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 09:35:02 pm by kimiski »

Offline LexManos

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 10:07:34 pm »
That's odd, cause she was also told she could go down the escalators to use the restroom down there. She also came from the correct side, not walking past the sign that said, exit only or whatever it said. If she argued about going, it should have been made clear she really did have to go, and she was also in a rush to go. But she ended up holding it so she wouldn't lose her spot in line, which is not healthy.

I told her she should of just stripped her costume right there and seen if that was good enough (she wasn't even in full out cosplay, she was a homemade Hogwarts student) I don't like the whole "non-costume priority" thing when someone is still a paying guest.
As I said it had nothing to do with costumes, though, I didn't deal with the person sitting at the top of the escalators but I assume there job was basically 'Dont let anyone cross the divider'
Also, we do not have access to the hotel's records, so we can't verify who is a guest and who is not. BUT I can say that EVERY room in the main tower was rented out to a con goer which is one of the main reasons this year went a lot smoother.

Like I said, they were told to use there discretion, the lobby bathrooms were prioritized for restaurant/bar patrons as those are the only bathrooms on the level. If I was there and saw someone doing the pee dance, i'd prolly of let them through. Anyways she had the option of going up stairs, the restrooms on the plaza level are no more then a 1 min walk from the top of the lobby escalators.

This is one of the major complaints about this year, I just want people who complain about it to understand why it was done.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 10:10:13 pm by LexManos »

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 12:25:05 am »
I totally understand why it was done, but man, .. it's just hard to accept when you have to go like, an hour ago. ^^

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 06:15:48 am »
The Game.  Seriously.  Get over it.  Yeah, there were less people harping on it this year, but some people still haven't realized that it's just annoying. 

I about kicked someone out of Whose Line for pulling that.

Like Conventional Improv on Facebook!

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2010, 08:40:44 am »
    The hotel staff member in the suit that stalked around the escalators on the lobby floor...same guy that was there last year. I just have to say it...does he have something shoved so far up is *** that is in permanently inclined to act like a total jerk to everyone? Last year I had issues with the same guy & his attitude toward con goers. The only time I hed to walk through that area all weekend(I wasn't aware we weren't supposed to have a mask on in that 10 foot stretch of hallway),  he started screaming at me to take it off NOW. My friend had to try to explain to him just how hard it is to get my mask on/off because of how it was attached in the back(takes 2 peoples help to put it on or take it off...modifications are in process to fix this) & that we wouldn't have walked that way if we were aware. With only 5 feet to go until I was out of the area in question, he still continued to badger me & my friends until I just got mad, ignored him, & walked away.

Now I can understand if there was a rule & someone was just trying to enforce it...but to be a total dick to someone paying to stay at the hotel as well as to be at the convention...uncalled for. My friends & I were very polite trying to explain to him that we didn't know & would leave right away so that we didn't have to mess with it...but still, a jerk. That guy needs to be fired...there is no excuse for that kind of behavior in a business that deals with people.

The only other complaint I had was with one staff member that was on an elevator. It was only 1/2 full when it opened & 2 people tried to get on...he then proceeded to scream at them & point his badge RIGHT in their face saying "ONLY 1!!!" repeatedly in the rudest way. Once again, un-called for. I realize that the elevators once again create a stressful bottleneck in that hotel(which is why I took the stairs 11 floors with heavy camera equipment & extremely warm coslplay), but there is no reason to dis-respect people like that.

Other than those 2 situations, I have nothing but wonderful things to say about staff, yojimbo, hotel staff, & the con in general. This year was incredibly fun for everyone that went with me as well as myself. I had awsome interactions with staff members on & off the elevators throughout the con(I was the "paparazzi" with the big Canon camera that was snapping pictures of people on the elevators :D). They were amazingly helpful when providing me with information or just someone to stop & "shoot the ****" with. Hotel staff was super helpful, polite, & just eager to please. Keep up the great work staff...you really made this years Kumoricon a memorable experience for my G/F, myself, & the 3 con/anime noob friends that attended with us. They liked it so much that they are already planning to make cosplays to wear when they join us next year.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2010, 08:59:19 am »
So...in regards to the bathroom problems, I want to point out that there's a bathroom in every hotel room.  The Bathrooms in the Lobbies and Event space were added to the blueprints of the hotel to serve customers attending events, conventions, and meetings at the hotel.  They should have absolute priority for such customers not just regardless of whether they are paying for a room at the hotel, but particularly if they're not.  Most people are capable of waiting 1-5 minutes to get to their room in order to use a toilet.  The hotel had no logical justification in restricting that bathroom from convention use; they did it to spite the convention in order to demonstrate their belief that they are a superior, privileged class of society.  They made a good-sounding rationalization but it doesn't hold up in a rational argument.  I'm glad we're through with a terrible hotel that is not interested in providing excellent service to a major source of revenue.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2010, 10:43:13 am »
Oh, that's what happen. I heard differently. Still it was an annoyance.

As one of the staff members who was trying to keep count at either the entrance or the exit that day, I can tell you that pepito pretty much nailed it, and you have my personal apologies that we weren't able to foresee and prevent it. There was some confusion over people coming back out through the entrance, despite the fact we had a sign posted and a volunteer trying to get people to go out the correct exit door. (If we have to split exit/entrance again, we'll try to post bigger signs and get everyone on the same page for counting methodology.)

As a result, the count we had was at 200 (the maximum for fire code). If that had been true, fire code would have mandated that we let no one else in until people left, and we did have to briefly stop traffic for that reason. The count reset was because we didn't think we really had 200 people in the room, and we didn't want to stop people from coming in when it wasn't necessary.

The fire marshal wasn't there when this happened, and didn't directly have anything to do with it. He was in the building earlier that day, but not right then AFAIK. (Cheesing off the fire marshal, who can shut the convention down, is a Very Bad Idea. We try to err on the side of caution.)

If there's anything more you want to know about it, PM me? I have to confess I'm kinda curious what you did hear, and from whom.

Edited: Fixed a misleading assertion after getting correct information from Rathany.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 11:53:29 am by randompvg »
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2010, 11:08:07 am »
Honestly I had a really great time at con this year but I have to beg that we don't use that hotel again, the layout absolutely sucks for a convention. Everything was confusing and the reception sucked. However I had no issues with the hotel staff this year and a couple of them actually were joking with my friends (one told us someone lost a snake in the lobby but we'd already heard that it was a joke so he was bummed. XD), they were fun. @.@
I miss 2010.

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2010, 11:19:50 am »
The glomp circle in Pioneer Square. That's all fine and dandy if you wanna do that, but to yell out, "EVERYBODY GLOMP *INSERT CHARACTER HERE*!!!1111!!!" And then chase that person down when they're NOT EVEN IN THE CIRCLE is unacceptable.

When my Depp group and I walked into the Square for a photoshoot this happened to all of us. And our Hatter has a fragile costume, so that really pissed me off. When they tried to do it to me a second time I yelled at them to back the hell off and glared at them for all I was worth.

Seriously, how could they think it was acceptable to do that?

THAT. IS. NOT. OK.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 11:20:26 am by Shadow »

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2010, 11:24:06 am »

The fire marshal wasn't there when this happened, and didn't directly have anything to do with it. He was in the building earlier that day, but not right then AFAIK. (By the way, guys - there are a lot of reasons we don't pull fire alarms for the lulz. Cheesing off the fire marshal, who can shut the convention down, is one of them.)

While this is true, before rumors start, the fire alarm going off was not due to our attendees.  As of the last time I spoke with the hotel people, it was due to a leaking pipe.  (Hotelchan, correct me if this turns out to be wrong.)
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2010, 11:49:39 am »
The glomp circle in Pioneer Square. That's all fine and dandy if you wanna do that, but to yell out, "EVERYBODY GLOMP *INSERT CHARACTER HERE*!!!1111!!!" And then chase that person down when they're NOT EVEN IN THE CIRCLE is unacceptable.

When my Depp group and I walked into the Square for a photoshoot this happened to all of us. And our Hatter has a fragile costume, so that really pissed me off. When they tried to do it to me a second time I yelled at them to back the hell off and glared at them for all I was worth.

THAT. IS. NOT. OK.

FWIW, people - not only is it not okay, forcibly grabbing someone against their will is *grounds for arrest*.

Always make sure you have the person you want to hug's consent, whether it's implied consent by being in - repeat, in, not near - a glomp circle, or express consent (either ask, or stand back with your arms spread slightly and wait for them to nod).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

While this is true, before rumors start, the fire alarm going off was not due to our attendees.  As of the last time I spoke with the hotel people, it was due to a leaking pipe.  (Hotelchan, correct me if this turns out to be wrong.)

Thank you very much for the correction - I'll fix that right now.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2010, 01:26:36 pm »
So...in regards to the bathroom problems, I want to point out that there's a bathroom in every hotel room.  The Bathrooms in the Lobbies and Event space were added to the blueprints of the hotel to serve customers attending events, conventions, and meetings at the hotel.  They should have absolute priority for such customers not just regardless of whether they are paying for a room at the hotel, but particularly if they're not.  Most people are capable of waiting 1-5 minutes to get to their room in order to use a toilet.  The hotel had no logical justification in restricting that bathroom from convention use; they did it to spite the convention in order to demonstrate their belief that they are a superior, privileged class of society.  They made a good-sounding rationalization but it doesn't hold up in a rational argument.  I'm glad we're through with a terrible hotel that is not interested in providing excellent service to a major source of revenue.

Yes, thank you!
A customer is a customer, that is all that should matter

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2010, 01:31:06 pm »
The hotell staff were being complete tards to me and a frind of mine. I think i already said this, but we were trying to look for the Fountain plaza to get to the Anime spin the bottle and when we asked the hotel staff where Fountain plaza was, they pointed us in the wrong direction and we ended up looking two hours for this place what we wern't even close too.

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2010, 01:36:49 pm »

You are right, a leaky pipe in the Dealers area cause the fire systems water pressure to dip below nominal levels and that is why the alarm went off. Standard procedure, doesn't happen often, but it is one of the weird safety features that can cause issues when the hotel is full of people.

In regards to all the mis-communications and mis-directions and bad experiences with staff, I am sorry. We tried our best to prepare hotel staff and our staff for the masses and the questions. Bad information happens too much around here, we are trying harder to fix that. Though I know in Downtown Portland, too many things are named similarly, when you think of Fountain Plaza, my first though was what is actually now named Teacher's Fountain in the Plaza section of Director Park. I don't know why I think that, but I did. Hopefully things will be more clear cut in Vancouver, less confusion.
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2010, 01:50:07 pm »

Yes, thank you!
A customer is a customer, that is all that should matter

Could anyone let us know who specifically was prioritizing the bathrooms for 'restaurant' patrons.  The restaurant in the main tower was closed most of the time for our use.  Upper management of the hotel was very clear on the fact that nothing was supposed to be prioritized over attendees.  

I know this is likely too little too late, but if things like this happen, noting the time and the name really helps us.  Thanks :)
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2010, 02:23:03 pm »
When my sister was turned away, it was a few minutes before the convention started the seating for the Cosplay Contest. My sister said she was turned away by a girl on con staff, sitting at the top of the escalators, with wavy brown hair and possibly wearing glasses.

Offline IchigoBunny

• Sailor Scout
    • Ichigobunny's deviant art
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2010, 03:31:51 pm »
I had a little bit of an issue with the glomp circle as well. I was cosplaying Yoko and it was hard enough just trying to keep my 40in ponytail clip on without having to catch people who are in full on glomp mode. It was seriously frustrating. i wanted to play for a while until a guy came flying in my direction i almost dropped some things off me that would have broke! come on guys if your costume is fragile and they say so friggin listen and only hug! glomping can be pretty dangerous.

Offline xkuroxhanax

• Chibi
    • LJ, gaiz.
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2010, 04:34:42 pm »
Yeah, I'd have to agree, the glomp circle was a problem. I'm not a fan of them in general, but I don't usually take issue with them, but this one was ridiculous. I walked through Pioneer with a couple friends just trying to get to Starbucks, and along the way, we got MOBBED. At the time, I was carrying a rather expensive camera and my friend was was wearing a costume taped to her skin, so pulling it hurt.

Also, one annoyance that's also kind of a safety concern thing, a group of my friends and I had an encounter with a man who had no badge and took unauthorized pictures of one of us in an awkward situation under the pretense of being a "con staff member." We asked him to delete the unauthorized pictures because he had no badge IN FRONT of two male staffers and they did absolutely NOTHING. At all. They were more interested in comparing cameras than checking out this guy who was taking sketch pictures of young females pretending to be staff. We took care of the situation with the help of a couple lovely staffers, but still.
2009 Cons:
~Sakura-con 09
~Anime Evolution 09
~Kumoricon 09

Current cosplays:
~Axel (KH2)
~Kanda (DGM)

Offline pepito

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2010, 04:43:22 pm »
Sadly in situations such as the above - not all staff know how to respond, if you have this happen in the future tell a staffer to get thier Manager or Director there right away. We got this situation taken care of, but I would have slept better if we could have got it resolved much quicker

Offline childofthemoor

• Cabbit
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2010, 07:40:44 pm »
I am going to have to concur about the Game. It's just annoying at this point, especially when people yell that they lost the game every two minutes. Same goes for Marco Polo or whatever. Sure, it was funny the first time, but please!
'09 Yuna (Songstress), Lust
'10 Toph (Fire Nation)
'11 Suki (Kyoshi Warrior)

Offline Shi_no_Akuma

• Chibi
    • I'm not here I'm on Tumblr
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2010, 10:43:53 pm »
What I found the most annoying?
On Saturday, my small group was running late to the Hetalia Photoshoot, so we tried to ask the Staff in the Executive Towers (since that was where our room was) if they knew where Fountain Plaza was, since we'd left our Con stuff, and subsequently, our maps in our room.  Even after explaining that it was a photoshoot, they insisted that it was probably a floor in the main building. After getting frustrated, we were three blocks down and two blocks across from the one we wanted, and finally made it half an hour late after getting directions from a random biker. So at least it had a happy ending.

Oh, and how the people in line behind us for the KumoriBall let their friends/parents cut in line after we could have let a friend/acquaintance cut.

Other than that, I really enjoyed KumoriCon~
Tumblr | Next Con: Fanime
.:As:.
☆ Porrim Maryam ☆ Mami Tomoe ☆
☆ Roxy Lalonde ☆ Jade Harley ☆
☆ The Disciple ☆ Aradia Megido ☆
☆ Maggie Lacivi ☆

oslapedo

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2010, 10:55:57 pm »
they need to be better.

I agree so much, the cosplay contest was the most dissapointing thing of my KCon experience. The skit selection and judging results left me feeling very annoyed.

Also, as far as the game and other loud things go, I think staff should start making a negative example out of people who scream it. Like, maybe even kick people out after one warning or something. There's no reason why people should be allowed to act so disruptive and inconsiderate.

Offline unicornfrog

• Cabbit
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2010, 11:19:32 pm »
I think everything was delightful..

EXCEPT...

There was this older man with a beard, in a blue shirt with a camera around his neck, across the street and pointing and shooting pictures of everybody, and it seemed all creepy-like, he paced and tried to be discreet.

He was on the other side, staring at the con-goers, pacing, and then he'd aim up the camera and take a picture.

And I saw this from my hotel room upper window, he did this for a few hours!

Not that I have a problem with taking cosplay pictures--but usually you get to be asked, or you're aware of it.

Some creepy dude across the street, trying to act nonchalant kinda freaked me out, why was he trying to be sneaky?

And as far as I know, there aren't any "Candid Street Shot" galleries that have been posted!

The other issue,
was the fact that the hotel was organized like a Labyrinth. But then again, at after-hours in the ballroom, they DID play "Magic Dance" by David Bowie, so it seemed fitting.
Nihil Difficile Amante:
"Nothing is Difficult for a Lover"
~Mahou Sensei Negima

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
~Lao Tzu

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2010, 11:24:07 pm »
Maybe it was a regular attendee that was .. just .. cosplaying as a total creeper dude. D:  [/wishful thinking]

Yeah. That's pretty freaky.

I actually heard a story about some old guy in sweats (not sure if he was an attendee or not) who was watching a photo shoot that was .. umm .. lets just say the flag was at full mast and anyone that looked could tell? ^^;

*shudders, then vomits a little in his mouth*

As fun as it is it to be cute and adorable.. these are the times when I'm really thankful to be a guy. ^^;;;

Offline Saberchan

• Cabbit
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2010, 11:27:35 pm »
(I should have asked someone about the disabled line...my fault there...) Perhaps there could be water available for those super long lines? I really struggled through that pre-reg line with the heat, lack of water, and dealing with my difficulties standing for long periods of time...When I was nearing the reg tables, I found I really needed to lean against the wall...I was feeling pretty sick at that point. (dehydration) And I thought I heard someone say "no leaning against the wall"...Eh...I really needed to as I felt I was going to faint!! I just complied and silently grumbled to myself at the irritation, hoping I wouldn't fall over...I was too sick to go to the pre-party, and didn't feel well into part of day 1...After the convention, I told my mom about my symptoms and she said I may have needed to go to the hospital for fluids... :P

I will definitely ask for help next time, but a couple water stations along the way might help!

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2010, 11:51:24 pm »
I know a few other people have picked on this topic, but "The Game" and the whole "Marco Polo" thing are pretty much over. ^^

They don't really annoy me per se.  I understand that a lot of people that are into "The Game" are young kids and maybe it's new to them, they don't understand it could be annoying, etc.  That said, I would be ecstatic if I never heard another "YOU JUST LOST THE GAME" or "MARCO!" "POLO!" again. ^^

And was it just me, or was this year's convention really loud?  I was having difficulty understanding what people were saying.  Maybe I've gone to too many metal concerts this year (wtf! I wear ear plugs!) or I'm just getting old (d0f!), but it didn't seem that bad last year. ^^;

Offline thesirensings

• Catgirl
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2010, 11:58:41 pm »
Really? It seemed louder to me last year.... hmmmm......

Every breath you take and every move you make, every bond you break, every step you take, I'LL BE WATCHING YOU.

Offline unicornfrog

• Cabbit
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2010, 01:05:34 am »
Maybe it was a regular attendee that was .. just .. cosplaying as a total creeper dude. D:  [/wishful thinking]

As fun as it is it to be cute and adorable.. these are the times when I'm really thankful to be a guy. ^^;;;

Ah yes, but sometimes the adorables get eaten first! *hides from creepies*

As I was thinking, I remembered something else.

Not to sound arrogant....but I went as a VIP, and yes, the lines were skipped---
but the wait time for events was still quite long--and think chairs, just a few, by the front of the line would have been nice.

Why do I say this? Because (not being the bravest sort) I found it difficult to "assert my VIP status" ....when sometimes ordered to go to the back of the line by a stern staff member. *squirm*

I would have found it easier just to be in a reserved "spot" and then be verified, rather than direct confrontation by someone who is (understandably) stressed and has a lot on their mind.

What I would have liked, is to have had an actual "place" to sit at, rather then be told: "Uh, you're VIP? why didn't you speak up?" (because I'm a chicken) "Just, uh, sit...somewhere over there....in front of everyone else."

AWKWARD. *avoids eyes*

The badges should have been glittery or something....just being vertical wasn't enough to stand out.

Yes, chairs and ostentatious badges. I think that's all. :3
Nihil Difficile Amante:
"Nothing is Difficult for a Lover"
~Mahou Sensei Negima

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
~Lao Tzu

Offline Hacchan

• Cabbit
    • Tumblr
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2010, 04:33:02 am »
Just wanna get this off of my chest so maybe it'll leave my mind and stop making me facepalm at myself every time...

I acted so awkwardly SO much, especially towards:
The Tamaki host at the ball
Sonny Strait

Sonny **** Strait.

I get especially awkward around my favorite FMA VAs.

Like Vic Mignogna a couple years ago...Please just kill me now so I can avoid this next year and further in the future ; ~;

Offline steelychan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2010, 09:17:57 am »

THAT. IS. NOT. OK.
I remember this! Wasnt jack like being chased after a group of people. I seriously felt sorry for them. I don't mind getting hugs. but seriously? i walk into the glomp circle as hunny senpai and get not only glomp attacked, i was terrified. i mean, come on! even hunny would want to run away. and hes an attention whore. on another note, about those creepers... it was day zero when this guy came up to me while i was waiting for the max so i could go home and get as much sleep as i could. I wasnt even in cosplay. anywho, this really creepy guy started talking to me and i was being polite and talking back... until he started to look at me. and i mean i felt like he knew what i looked like naked kind of looking. I would've just walked away then and there except that the max was like a stop away. Anyways, the guy kept getting closer and closer to me until i had to take a step back just to have some space. and right when the max pulls up to the stop place, he caresses my elbow and says "you wanna have fun tonight?" i back out of the caress and tell no thank you and run into a different car than him. When I got inside, I could still feel his caress. and it creeped me out! I almost bleached my elbow when I got home. but I settled for a scrubbing. For all you girls, please be careful around guys or girls. if you get a creepy vibe from them, just walk away or go somewhere safe. The con staff room, or a store is a good example.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 09:40:48 am by steelychan »
Kumoricon 2011 cosplays:
Day0: Hunny (Ouran Host Club) COMPLETE
Day1 (possibly late night panels): Ran Mao (Black Butler) 50%
Day2: Kaoru Hitachin (Ouran Host Club) 90%
Ball/Rave: May (pokemon)
Day3: pirate

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2010, 11:06:53 am »
It's really quite ridiculous that it's always the same issues. ^^ Glomping out of control, "The Game", etc. >:X

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2010, 11:37:58 am »

THAT. IS. NOT. OK.
I remember this! Wasnt jack like being chased after a group of people. I seriously felt sorry for them. I don't mind getting hugs. but seriously?

Yeah, our Jack got chased. :/ What the hell. I was absolutely appalled at what happened. I felt bad for him too, but we all ended up getting it. Luckily the Hatter and I weren't chased, but still. It was all against our will, and that's illegal. We also all put a lot of time/money into our costumes, so if anything would have happened to them because of that incident I would have been furious.

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline steelychan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2010, 12:19:07 pm »

THAT. IS. NOT. OK.
I remember this! Wasnt jack like being chased after a group of people. I seriously felt sorry for them. I don't mind getting hugs. but seriously?

Yeah, our Jack got chased. :/ What the hell. I was absolutely appalled at what happened. I felt bad for him too, but we all ended up getting it. Luckily the Hatter and I weren't chased, but still. It was all against our will, and that's illegal. We also all put a lot of time/money into our costumes, so if anything would have happened to them because of that incident I would have been furious.
heh. yeah. i just gave jack a nice hug afterwards and told how sorry i felt for him. it wasnt even funny watching it happen. and you wont believe how scary people got when they saw me. I was hunny senpai. and as much fun as i had... it was still kinda scary how some of these people got.
Kumoricon 2011 cosplays:

Offline FateChooseMe

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2010, 12:43:26 pm »
Honestly, I don't think there should be a glomp circle anymore but that's just me.
I'm against it because I was knocked over so hard a couple years ago that someone broke my ankle.
Cosplay;
SeeU - Vocaloid3
Trainer (Dawn) - PKMN Plantinum
Namine - TWEWY

Offline steelychan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2010, 12:46:41 pm »
jeezus! and i thought being picked up was creepy.
Kumoricon 2011 cosplays:

Offline FateChooseMe

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2010, 12:52:11 pm »
Haha, being picked up can be creepy when it's someone you don't know.
Cosplay;
SeeU - Vocaloid3
Trainer (Dawn) - PKMN Plantinum
Namine - TWEWY

Offline steelychan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2010, 12:55:05 pm »
wasnt paying attention and this shogi just came lumbering up to me and picked me up.
Kumoricon 2011 cosplays:

Offline Saberchan

• Cabbit
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2010, 02:59:22 pm »

THAT. IS. NOT. OK.
I remember this! Wasnt jack like being chased after a group of people. I seriously felt sorry for them. I don't mind getting hugs. but seriously? i walk into the glomp circle as hunny senpai and get not only glomp attacked, i was terrified. i mean, come on! even hunny would want to run away. and hes an attention whore. on another note, about those creepers... it was day zero when this guy came up to me while i was waiting for the max so i could go home and get as much sleep as i could. I wasnt even in cosplay. anywho, this really creepy guy started talking to me and i was being polite and talking back... until he started to look at me. and i mean i felt like he knew what i looked like naked kind of looking. I would've just walked away then and there except that the max was like a stop away. Anyways, the guy kept getting closer and closer to me until i had to take a step back just to have some space. and right when the max pulls up to the stop place, he caresses my elbow and says "you wanna have fun tonight?" i back out of the caress and tell no thank you and run into a different car than him. When I got inside, I could still feel his caress. and it creeped me out! I almost bleached my elbow when I got home. but I settled for a scrubbing. For all you girls, please be careful around guys or girls. if you get a creepy vibe from them, just walk away or go somewhere safe. The con staff room, or a store is a good example.

That's really creepy! Just reading that made me angry, creeped out, think how much I would have wanted to knock his lights out if he did that to me!  That sure would draw attention to the perv! I dunno...yell out "Stop it! I don't know you! Hands off! Get away from me!" He should know better! (I know the whole thing about how it can be twisted into me assaulting the dude...but I would have felt threatened, and therefore justified in my actions) >:(  

Or...I'd hit him with mace...or threaten to call the police if he didn't back off NOW!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 03:06:14 pm by Saberchan »