Author Topic: SAY IT! Get it off your Chest./It Just Bugs Me (Kumoricon 2010 Edition)  (Read 39667 times)

Offline Jacob_Blackfeather

• Bunnygirl
Re: SAY IT! Get it off your Chest./It Just Bugs Me (Kumoricon 2010 Edition)
« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2010, 12:37:58 pm »
Hearing about a Glomp Circle like that just kinda annoys me. I'm not a touchy-feely person, you can ask any number of my friends how long it takes me to warm up to physically touching someone beyond a handshake or high-5, I'm just uncomfortable with physical contact most of the time. I've never had an issue with people trying to Glomp me...more with casual hugs where I tense up and its extremely awkward.

The one similar instance I experienced was during the Q&A after the Hetalia screening. Someone asked if they could give Todd a (group?) hug...at which point 20-30 people practically ran up to the stage. No one was hurt. This time...but I know I had a mini panic attack standing there, as a guest liaison, 5 feet away, and not be positive that everyone in that circle was okay. Todd is pretty easy going, and thankfully likes hugs. But even guests have their limits. And PLEASE! running and 'glomping' a big group of people is not a good idea. If someone tripped, and fell it would have been very easy for them to get hurt, very quickly.

But there are reasons beyond disliking physical contact to remember.

Allergies - Some people are severely allergic to coloured dyes in makeup or food or drinks, or that peanut butter sandwich you just ate, or purfume...there are lots of things that could cause someone to have a severe reaction, and if they don't get the chance to say 'No', it turns into a very bad situation.

Costumes - A number of people listed delicate costumes, but there is also the potential for pins or other sharp objects to be on people's costumes that you may not be able to see right away.

I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons why people need to be more aware of their fellow con-goer's feelings and boundaries on this subject, but I feel putting something in the Con Book or having more signs wouldn't exactly solve the problem. Things like that, and demos and rules explained at opening ceremonies or in a panel I feel also don't have the same effect as something mandatory...I believe in the 14 or 15 cons I've been to over the years I've been to ONE opening ceremonies, and I've never gone to a 'How to Con' equivalent panel...though I know years ago I tried to go.

To be honest the only way I can think of making sure every attendee realizes some of the problems with glomp circles or other things, is to have the info posted at the reg and pre-reg desks and make them read through the list of 'major concerns from previous years'? This isn't really practical, and it would slow down the lines even more...but its a major safety concern for a lot of people for varying reasons, and it seems a lot of attendees don't realize that.

Now that I've reiterated what's already been talked to death...>_<

My first 'concern' on a con level was lack of other staffers checking for badges. I kept taking my badge off, and holding it, or having it tied to a belt loop so that it was barely visible and while I almost always flash my badge so its visible when I enter rooms and such, there were probably at least a dozen times I could have been stopped and wasn't. I talked to at least one other staffer who noticed this during the con. (I know at least on the first day it wasn't because people knew who I was either...I was in cosplay and people I've staffed with for a few years didn't recognize me till I started talking.) And I am in no way condoning walking around a con without having a badge, or without having a visible badge! (I was very bad about it this year, and will definitely try to be better about having mine on and visible next year!) Besides, taking it on and off gives you more chances to lose your badge!

Its just something that needs to be gone over again and again with new and old staff to make sure they are checking for badges on staff and attendees. I realize it gets tiring having to check badges all day, I work at a movie theatre and I've been yelled at just for asking for a ticket stub at the door, or for ID for a rated R movie. It sucks if you end up with the grumpy person who bites your head off, but its part of a staffer's job to check, not just at doorways but in panel rooms, hallways within con space, etc.

Another bit of etiquette to remember with guests - they are very busy at conventions, after all, some people come to cons just for the guests. Our guests also run a decent amount of panels, which gets tiring after talking and being the center of attention for so long. Tiffany, Todd, and Sonny all flew in from Houston, which isn't a horrible flight all on its own, but its still exhausting when you add in travel to the airport, waiting at the airport, flying, getting off the plane, getting luggage, getting picked up by someone you don't know (we need more colourful signs for next year with bigger print letters btw), going to the con hotel, checking in, getting dinner, etc...its a lot to do before the con even starts.

So when the liaisons (the staff in charge of helping the guests while they are at the con) or the guests say they need to go - eat, to another panel, to bed, anything - that is not the time to be asking for autographs or hugs or pictures. The guests want the attendees to be happy, the staff want the attendees to be happy, but sometimes time just runs out. Our guests this year were really great about trying to do as many autographs as they could during the weekend. But there is a time and place for them, and in the hall, when they are trying to go somewhere else is not that time or place. And to be honest, this is the point when the staff tend to get snippy with attendees...which sucks on all ends cause we don't wanna ruin someone's day. But like with the glomping, no means no.

Also no one should take this personally or the wrong way! It happens at other cons (seen it at Comic Con and at Sak), it happens to movie stars, I'm guilty of being an overzealous fangirl over a guest or two at past cons. So if you're guilty of this, and feel bad about it, don't feel too bad, it happens, just try to be understanding of what the guests and staff request of you so that everyone can have a good time!

Other than those few concerns, I had a very good con - minus a few personal mishaps. All the guests were great, and fun to talk to! And the attendees seemed to really enjoy them! Which was a good thing too! I really hope to see them back again! I'm also super excited for cosplay for next year, I've got a lot of sewing to do! And yeah, don't Glomp without asking, make sure your badge is visible, and don't pester the guests for autographs and pictures!

My god I love you <3 that post was what made my day

Offline mellonemrys

• Chibi
« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2010, 02:48:12 pm »
@Ally & Jake-Black....wow, thanks! I write long long posts when I'm tired. ^__^;; (I seriously didn't realize it was quite THAT long till now though....)
Kate Fletcher
Assistant Director of Relations 2013
relations@kumoricon.org

Offline acton

• Sailor Scout
    • Acton's Hermitage
« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2010, 03:10:25 pm »
I think everything was delightful..

EXCEPT...

There was this older man with a beard, in a blue shirt with a camera around his neck, across the street and pointing and shooting pictures of everybody, and it seemed all creepy-like, he paced and tried to be discreet.

And as far as I know, there aren't any "Candid Street Shot" galleries that have been posted!

The other issue,
was the fact that the hotel was organized like a Labyrinth. But then again, at after-hours in the ballroom, they DID play "Magic Dance" by David Bowie, so it seemed fitting.
It could be just he wanted a Candid shot. You can look at LovelyAngel's shoot in the photo thread. I think the guy was a difrent person. I took a lot a stage shot with my Cococat but I not happy with frozen sameness.

Offline Midnight Divine

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook!
« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2010, 04:41:17 pm »
Someone tried ripping off my mask and stealing it when I had it on xD
"You can make all the excuses you want. But you're the one who decided how to live your life". -Mugen

Offline steelychan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2010, 04:44:25 pm »
Someone tried ripping off my mask and stealing it when I had it on xD
dude, i wouldve been so pissed. thats not ok.
Kumoricon 2011 cosplays:
Day0: Hunny (Ouran Host Club) COMPLETE
Day1 (possibly late night panels): Ran Mao (Black Butler) 50%
Day2: Kaoru Hitachin (Ouran Host Club) 90%
Ball/Rave: May (pokemon)
Day3: pirate

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2010, 06:47:41 pm »
@Ally & Jake-Black....wow, thanks! I write long long posts when I'm tired. ^__^;; (I seriously didn't realize it was quite THAT long till now though....)

you made me happy inside with that though :3

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #106 on: September 15, 2010, 10:10:20 pm »
Someone squeezed my butt when I gave them a hug. D:

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2010, 10:22:50 pm »
Reppy I promise I only gave you good hugs and touched your awesome man arms

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2010, 10:30:00 pm »
Might have been me in disguise

fufufufufufufufufuu~
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Midnight Divine

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook!
« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2010, 10:39:02 pm »

Ohhh the joy of the pervs at the con!
"You can make all the excuses you want. But you're the one who decided how to live your life". -Mugen

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #110 on: September 15, 2010, 11:47:27 pm »
Might have been me in disguise

fufufufufufufufufuu~

If it was, I wouldn't have let you get away with just a butt squeeze.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 11:49:16 pm by reppy »

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2010, 12:21:27 am »
This is more so something that was in the control of the attendees more than the con itself.

My room neighbors were visited quite frequently during the hours of the night. I wouldn't mind this if all of their guests didn't bang on the door as loud as they could.
If you visit someone's room, no matter what time of day, please knock quietly. Just because you are awake doesn't mean someone isn't sleeping in one of the rooms nearby. And trust me, we can hear you banging...and I'm sure a quieter knock is just as efficient. Or hey, most of us have cell phones. You can text the person inside if it's late enough and you don't want to wake people up.

Another issue I came across was the distribution of alcohol to minors.
Con staff took care of this for me and my roommates when we reported it but it still agitated me.
One of my friends who was attending con with me is a minor (green badge and all!!) and she was offered a sip of something while waiting for the elevators. I come up and she tells me to take a sip. Gullible me who trusts my friends took a sip and I was met with quite a shocking taste. Turns out it was Vodka mixed with whipped cream and some other stuff that sounded like it should never have been mixed. She had her badge on and these people just gave it to her without a second thought. And yes, they were con goers as well.
The next day I saw one of the people in the elevator and he offered my friend a drink, telling her it was a Bloody Mary. I told him no and he offered me a sip as well. This was the last straw and I reported what was going on to con staff because it is not okay with me.

If you want to drink, then fine. I don't care what you do with yourself and drinking, but don't offer it to other people who aren't of age. Especially in con space! I don't know if alcohol is or isn't against con rules because I don't drink so I never paid attention to anything about it. But you still should never offer it to someone underage. I would understand if you saw a blue badge because we are at least in the age range. But a Green/Yellow badge? The oldest they are is 17 and that is not okay.
I'm fine with drinking if you are of age so don't take me as anti-alcohol. I'm just anti-MIP.
So please, PLEASE don't do this. It really irked me.

And another thing...no matter your age, don't accept drinks from random people. Just because we are all con-goers and we have a common bond, doesn't mean we all have the best interests in mind. Making friends is fine but don't accept drinks from people you don't know extremely well and know you can trust. It's dangerous and could get you really hurt.
And sometimes even your friends make bad choices and you end up taking a swig of Vodka on accident when you expected something like a Coke (It was in plastic cup like from McDonald's...). So if your friend magically has a drink, ask what's in it. That was my bad because I didn't really think it through. So, please think before you do stupid stuff like I did.

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2010, 12:23:59 am »
Heh.  I remember someone offered me a drink of something.. I don't remember who.. I think I may have slightly known them.. But my first thought was, "Okay, something's in that.."  ^^;

Any number of things could be in a drink. D:

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2010, 02:59:23 am »
D<

You NEVER are supposed to accept an open drink from someone you don't know. Date rape?!!

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Ichi_Kagetora

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #114 on: September 16, 2010, 03:16:43 am »
I hate being a nightime worker. I'm used to being up from two in the afternoon until six in the morning so of course when I go to con I'm awake when nothing is going on  and sleeping during hte good stuff. i just sat on a couch almost all of day three because I was too tried to move.
When I am chasing my tail and catch my back leg instead, I will not bite down on my foot. This hurts, and my scream scares my human.

"Princess Yue doesn't need Appa: she's the moon, she can fly by herself."

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #115 on: September 16, 2010, 07:13:30 am »
drinking is against con policy and I was hit on by alot of people who were drunk and it made me feel quite uncomfortable.

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #116 on: September 16, 2010, 11:08:18 am »
D<

You NEVER are supposed to accept an open drink from someone you don't know. Date rape?!!

This.  This like a lot.  So many things can go wrong from accepting drinks.  Please be careful. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #117 on: September 16, 2010, 12:05:37 pm »
This is more so something that was in the control of the attendees more than the con itself.

My room neighbors were visited quite frequently during the hours of the night. I wouldn't mind this if all of their guests didn't bang on the door as loud as they could.
If you visit someone's room, no matter what time of day, please knock quietly. Just because you are awake doesn't mean someone isn't sleeping in one of the rooms nearby. And trust me, we can hear you banging...and I'm sure a quieter knock is just as efficient. Or hey, most of us have cell phones. You can text the person inside if it's late enough and you don't want to wake people up.

Another issue I came across was the distribution of alcohol to minors.
Con staff took care of this for me and my roommates when we reported it but it still agitated me.
One of my friends who was attending con with me is a minor (green badge and all!!) and she was offered a sip of something while waiting for the elevators. I come up and she tells me to take a sip. Gullible me who trusts my friends took a sip and I was met with quite a shocking taste. Turns out it was Vodka mixed with whipped cream and some other stuff that sounded like it should never have been mixed. She had her badge on and these people just gave it to her without a second thought. And yes, they were con goers as well.
The next day I saw one of the people in the elevator and he offered my friend a drink, telling her it was a Bloody Mary. I told him no and he offered me a sip as well. This was the last straw and I reported what was going on to con staff because it is not okay with me.

If you want to drink, then fine. I don't care what you do with yourself and drinking, but don't offer it to other people who aren't of age. Especially in con space! I don't know if alcohol is or isn't against con rules because I don't drink so I never paid attention to anything about it. But you still should never offer it to someone underage. I would understand if you saw a blue badge because we are at least in the age range. But a Green/Yellow badge? The oldest they are is 17 and that is not okay.
I'm fine with drinking if you are of age so don't take me as anti-alcohol. I'm just anti-MIP.
So please, PLEASE don't do this. It really irked me.

And another thing...no matter your age, don't accept drinks from random people. Just because we are all con-goers and we have a common bond, doesn't mean we all have the best interests in mind. Making friends is fine but don't accept drinks from people you don't know extremely well and know you can trust. It's dangerous and could get you really hurt.
And sometimes even your friends make bad choices and you end up taking a swig of Vodka on accident when you expected something like a Coke (It was in plastic cup like from McDonald's...). So if your friend magically has a drink, ask what's in it. That was my bad because I didn't really think it through. So, please think before you do stupid stuff like I did.
Out of curiousity...would this have been the neighbors right across the hall from my room(directly next to yours)? My roommates & myself heard & saw quite a bit of comotion with con staff, hotel staff & security over there for a while. Looked like the room was being searched & people were packing bags to leave. We were wondering what in the heck was going on over there lol...

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #118 on: September 16, 2010, 12:10:58 pm »
>.> Ehehe...Maybe...?
Okay yeah. ^^; It was the people straight across from you guys.
Sorry if it caused some commotion...Molly and I were out of the room most of the day so we didn't even know what happened. It just got really quiet that night and it was peaceful for us.

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #119 on: September 16, 2010, 12:20:01 pm »
Ya, I think it was going on for like 1-2hrs lol. We were all just chillin' & wondering what in the world was going on. They were pretty loud neighbors but luckily we were across the hall so it didn't keep me up. Sucks you had to suffer though. Not sure if that room was responsible for the "wake-up call" of screaming people running through the halls the first couple mornings at 5am...but it didn't happen the last day so maybe.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #120 on: September 16, 2010, 12:30:31 pm »
Well you should have been nice neighbors and come over to suffer with us. >.>

At least things got dealt with though and I'm really appreciative for that. So Props to staff and security for helping out and all that.
That is one good thing about con. Two out of my three years, we've had issues with people and it has always been dealt with right away. Staff has always been helpful in making me and my friends feel safe whether it's con people or normal people causing the trouble.

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #121 on: September 16, 2010, 12:33:44 pm »
We tried to deal with that particular situation as quickly and quietly as possible. I am very sorry for all the commotion outside your rooms. As was already said, Alcohol is not allowed at this convention and IF your going to drink it, it had better be in your room and not with minors. And dont accept mystery drinks from other attendees's. It just isnt safe and could honestly get you hurt.
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #122 on: September 16, 2010, 01:01:26 pm »
@Gryffinclaw Princess: Maybe next con now that I know more of you guys better, we will come over & suffer with you lol.

@Kylite: We weren't bothered by it in our room...more confused/curious than anything. It's amazing that people (especially minors) think it's a good idea to publicly offer alcohol to minors or other con attendees. That is a surefire way to get into a hell of a lot of trouble. I personally enjoy drinks here & there but do not walk around in public pushing drinks at random people. Anyway, thanks for dealing with that issue...I have many friends that attend the conventions who are minors & I would be very upset if someone had approached them with such an offer.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #123 on: September 16, 2010, 01:35:29 pm »
Actually, we did.  We had the 'How To Con' panel on convention etiquette from someone who goes to many cons a year due to her job.
Which, ironically, a lot of us missed because we were waiting in the pre-registration line.  Really more than ANYTHING else the registration lines are intolerable. 

Ooh! This seems like a point that could potentially be taken into consideration when scheduling that panel for next year?
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #124 on: September 16, 2010, 01:52:39 pm »
@Gryffinclaw Princess: Maybe next con now that I know more of you guys better, we will come over & suffer with you lol.

@Kylite: We weren't bothered by it in our room...more confused/curious than anything. It's amazing that people (especially minors) think it's a good idea to publicly offer alcohol to minors or other con attendees. That is a surefire way to get into a hell of a lot of trouble. I personally enjoy drinks here & there but do not walk around in public pushing drinks at random people. Anyway, thanks for dealing with that issue...I have many friends that attend the conventions who are minors & I would be very upset if someone had approached them with such an offer.

Actually, Czarcasm has a good way of quickly dealing with people at con who are doing really stupid stuff like offering drinks.  He calls it 'evil monkey'.   Just point at them dramatically, and that usually embarrasses them into stopping. 

Like so:

Personally, I would like to take anyone who would offer alcohol to minors at our convention and do terrible, torturous things to them that I could not even begin to describe on a PG-13 message board.  However, since getting staff there to handle it each time is not always possible, if people react with "WHAT ARE YOU THINKING???" enough times, they will stop.  You can't offer sips 'on the downlow' if people go "OMG?  SERIOUSLY?  WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!" in response.  It draws attention they don't want and should keep them from trying again. 

I actually saw this approach work effectively at Gamestorm.  Different situation, but it can be a quick and effective way to stop people from doing things they should not do. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Czarcasm

• Oni
« Reply #125 on: September 16, 2010, 02:08:42 pm »
Actually, Czarcasm has a good way of quickly dealing with people at con who are doing really stupid stuff like offering drinks.  He calls it 'evil monkey'.   Just point at them dramatically, and that usually embarrasses them into stopping. 

Like so:
Evil Monkey works!  I got a group of drunk non-congoers who were wandering through conspace at Gamestorm mocking the gamers to go elsewhere when I "Evil Monkey"ed them.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #126 on: September 16, 2010, 03:08:32 pm »
This was an old issue that I didn't finish reading, but isn't blocking off the only bathroom on that floor some sort of health/disabilities code violation?

Oh and for the gaming entrance/exit, half the time there was no one counting us leaving (by ramp or the first door).  Making the counting system broken.  Gaming was also not high traffic enough to need more then one in/out and one person with a clicker.  I don't know if you are required people leave a different way then they came in (probably not) but if you NEED a second exit for emergencies you can close it off so that it isn't the most noticeable exit if you are not looking and add a sign saying exit the other way on the door.  Pretty sure no one wanted to exit the way it was set up.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 03:19:25 pm by camname21 »

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #127 on: September 16, 2010, 03:26:02 pm »
The system that was in place for gaming was per the hotel, for the specific requirements of the space.  That system will change each year, dependent on the venue.
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #128 on: September 16, 2010, 03:28:09 pm »
This was an old issue that I didn't finish reading, but isn't blocking off the only bathroom on that floor some sort of health/disabilities code violation?

Oh and for the gaming entrance/exit, half the time there was no one counting us leaving (by ramp or the first door).  Making the counting system broken.  Gaming was also not high traffic enough to need more then one in/out and one person with a clicker.  I don't know if you are required people leave a different way then they came in (probably not) but if you NEED a second exit for emergencies you can close it off so that it isn't the most noticeable exit if you are not looking and add a sign saying exit the other way on the door.  Pretty sure no one wanted to exit the way it was set up.

There was an entrance and an exit (on oppisite sides do the floof)
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #129 on: September 16, 2010, 03:48:07 pm »
The system that was in place for gaming was per the hotel, for the specific requirements of the space.  That system will change each year, dependent on the venue.
Okay, as long as it wasn't us who wanted it like that :D  I can see why they wanted it, but there was a better way as mentioned.

Offline hanawaya

• Cabbit
« Reply #130 on: September 16, 2010, 11:47:12 pm »
@Gryffinclaw Princess: Were you the blue vocaloid girl on Sunday?
2010 Information Manager
2009 Registration Staff

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #131 on: September 16, 2010, 11:53:39 pm »
@Hana: I was a pink Vocaloid on Sunday like in my picture. But I had a blue one with me. See Pink & Blue Here

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #132 on: September 17, 2010, 08:50:54 am »
LOL'g on the Evil Monkey idea. Without knowing there was a meme & title for it I did something similiar the one time a couple years ago I saw someone slip loaner Copics into her bag. Got 'em back.

Curious whether there's any connection with how ex-exec Sean's nickname used to be Evil Monkey? (If I am remembering that correctly.)
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Tomecko

• Sailor Scout
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #133 on: September 23, 2010, 09:33:34 pm »
Overall, I felt this con went much better than last year's. It did get a bit cold waiting outside in the pre-reg line, it would be nice if lines could be kept indoors (if possible). But it was much more organized than other cons I've seen.

Although I personally didn't have any problems, I felt that staff could have been better informed of pertinent information. For instance, several cosplayers in the contest had trouble getting to the green room, because staff was blocking people from going down the escalators. The Cosplay Contest staff had told us just to inform them that we were in the contest, but some staff members wouldn't listen when other contestants told them this. Fortunately they were able to get downstairs in time to check in.

And the glomping, yes. I can't believe I got to my third con before a pre-teen hurtled herself through the air at me. Really, when you see someone cringing away and protecting fragile parts of their costume as you make your running start, that's a good sign to back off. Another panel on Con Ettiquette would be great, especially if attendance was mandatory...

Some reminders for photography etiquette would be nice, too. There was a very rude photographer at one of the photoshoots, who not only delayed us setting off from the hotel, but also kept walking into shots once the shoot had started. Sometimes your favorite character is in a hurry, or has places to be, please be understanding.

|DeviantArt|Cosplay.com|
My Etsy shop:

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #134 on: September 23, 2010, 11:39:46 pm »
Overall, I felt this con went much better than last year's. It did get a bit cold waiting outside in the pre-reg line, it would be nice if lines could be kept indoors (if possible). But it was much more organized than other cons I've seen.

Although I personally didn't have any problems, I felt that staff could have been better informed of pertinent information. For instance, several cosplayers in the contest had trouble getting to the green room, because staff was blocking people from going down the escalators. The Cosplay Contest staff had told us just to inform them that we were in the contest, but some staff members wouldn't listen when other contestants told them this. Fortunately they were able to get downstairs in time to check in.

And the glomping, yes. I can't believe I got to my third con before a pre-teen hurtled herself through the air at me. Really, when you see someone cringing away and protecting fragile parts of their costume as you make your running start, that's a good sign to back off. Another panel on Con Ettiquette would be great, especially if attendance was mandatory...

Some reminders for photography etiquette would be nice, too. There was a very rude photographer at one of the photoshoots, who not only delayed us setting off from the hotel, but also kept walking into shots once the shoot had started. Sometimes your favorite character is in a hurry, or has places to be, please be understanding.

mandatory attendance to a panel is not going to happen.
the best thing the con can do, is mention it in the catalog, schedule, at opening ceremonies, and then start taking action if people do not listen.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 11:40:36 pm by kimiski »

Offline Mei Long

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #135 on: September 27, 2010, 06:39:11 pm »
I'll start:
On Day 2 the Staff member who had to keep the head count for the gaming area, didn't and then this lead to the fire marshall kicking everyone out, in order for the head count to start over. This irked me a lot.

I've been waiting to share this and it branches from his complaint. While I agree with the need to restore headcount what I did not agree with was the manner we were told to leave the area. My group of friends and I were yelled at aggressively by two gaming staff which was absolutely not necessary. I understand they were most likely stressed from the set back however I like to think that staffing an event is akin to any customer service position and this was a very, very poor representation of the convention.

Being verbally whipped at like cattle was something I never expected from the Kumoricon staff. I was truley appauled and hurt and sincerely hope that respect and self-control will be stressed more for our next convention.

Thank you. =)
Montez Bailey, 1988 - 2009, we miss you, rest in peace.

!~~~No Kumoricon for me. See ya'll at Akicon 2011~~~!

Akicon 2011 Costumes: Genderbent Kim Pine, Marshall Lee

2012: YoYo, Czeslaw, ???

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #136 on: September 28, 2010, 11:08:18 am »
I'll start:
On Day 2 the Staff member who had to keep the head count for the gaming area, didn't and then this lead to the fire marshall kicking everyone out, in order for the head count to start over. This irked me a lot.

I've been waiting to share this and it branches from his complaint. While I agree with the need to restore headcount what I did not agree with was the manner we were told to leave the area. My group of friends and I were yelled at aggressively by two gaming staff which was absolutely not necessary. I understand they were most likely stressed from the set back however I like to think that staffing an event is akin to any customer service position and this was a very, very poor representation of the convention.

Being verbally whipped at like cattle was something I never expected from the Kumoricon staff. I was truley appauled and hurt and sincerely hope that respect and self-control will be stressed more for our next convention.

Thank you. =)

My friend actually left the con and did not come back after that happened.

Offline Pots

• Chibi
« Reply #137 on: September 28, 2010, 03:35:02 pm »
A bunch of areas were blocked off and i had to walk around the entire building just to get to a restroom D:

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #138 on: October 12, 2010, 02:02:42 am »
A bunch of areas were blocked off and i had to walk around the entire building just to get to a restroom D:

bathrooms really do need to be available to anyone/anytime

Offline pyronine

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • My anime list
« Reply #139 on: October 18, 2010, 10:05:30 am »
I'll start:

Thank you. =)

My friend actually left the con and did not come back after that happened.

To clarify, it was not the fire marshal that kicked everyone out, it was a a yoji that did it, instead of shutting down the line to the game room, taking a head count and re-opening it, that person decided to kick everyone out to re-establish the count. We discussed this incident in detail after it happened, in the future nobody should be kicking anyone out of a room except for Managers and Directors and only for emergencies.
=^_^=

Offline pyronine

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • My anime list
« Reply #140 on: October 18, 2010, 10:10:55 am »

Due to fire regulations the line can not be inside unless the building is zoned for having lines inside (i.e. Convention center), If you look at the rose garden and coliseum, their lines are outside too. I tried my best to keep the line "under cover" as much as possible while following fire code.
=^_^=

Offline sporkoon

• Chibi
    • Long neglected deviantart site
« Reply #141 on: October 18, 2010, 11:14:56 pm »
i wish i had seen this thread earlier! something that really bothered me was in the pre-reg line on friday.. i had been in line for over an hour and just got to the end of the section in the parking garage before you go up the stairs into the building, and the staffer there started talking to the girl behind me, saying "are you the place holder?" or something like that.. and then she called up her friend and told him to "get here right away" or he would lose his place holder and have to wait in the whole line. i really dont like confrontation so i didnt say anything, but it really made me mad. a few minutes later this guy showed up in line behind me who definitely hadnt been there.. i know who was behind me, i had been with them a long time! so just because this guy had a staff friend he got to skip ahead of everyone who had been waiting over an hour. i dont think that is fair, and maybe con staff should get a talking to about not prioritizing their friends..
()()
(**)
(___)0
If love is blind, then I have 20/20 vision

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #142 on: October 19, 2010, 02:58:44 am »

Due to fire regulations the line can not be inside unless the building is zoned for having lines inside (i.e. Convention center), If you look at the rose garden and coliseum, their lines are outside too. I tried my best to keep the line "under cover" as much as possible while following fire code.

I have been to many, many hotel meetings and I have never heard of a hotel needing to be 'zoned for lines'.  We have space issues with having the lines inside.  As far as needing special zoning for the presence of lines in a space ... I have never heard of such a thing. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline pyronine

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • My anime list
« Reply #143 on: October 19, 2010, 04:59:03 pm »

I have been to many, many hotel meetings and I have never heard of a hotel needing to be 'zoned for lines'.  We have space issues with having the lines inside.  As far as needing special zoning for the presence of lines in a space ... I have never heard of such a thing. 

I was wrong, after reviewing Oregon fire code, The section on operational permits that covers event lines, was not adopted by the State of Oregon. However, it is part of the International Fire Code. (O.F.C. Chapter 1 Administration & Chapter 10 Means of Egress)
=^_^=

Offline lover-of-the-pepsi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #144 on: November 01, 2010, 07:53:11 pm »
Alrighty, here's my semi-rant....and I only say this for the sanity of future staff and volunteers:

I know lines to get into kcon sucked, but it was not the fault of me nor any of the other people checking you in! I was a volunteer to help coordinate lines, and no offense, but could parents standing in line be any grouchier??? Seriously, I know you hate wasting your  time in line when you could be worshipping one of the guests or something, but it is not fair to us nor anyone else if you spend five or ten minutes ranting at me because you and your kid had to wait in line a couple hours, which makes us grumpy and makes the other 800+ people waiting behind you have to wait even longer. Kumoricon is still kind of young, you need to realise there are bound to be things like this happening! We were doing the best we could with what we had. We were severely understaffed, with not nearly enough volunteers. I had to wait in line too, you know. Twice! (partly because of my own foolishness though....i accidentaly left my ID at my house the first time ^^')

Basically, my message is this:

Don't vent your frustrations on the staff/volunteers. If you want things to go better in the future, you can help tremendously by being courteous and helping us out by volunteering when you get a chance. We'll be in two hotels this coming year, so you would have the eternal graditude of both congoers and staff if you helped during your down time or when you get a free moment; we'll be needing people more then ever!

(I don't mean to offend anyone with this post, I just hope people can get a better idea of what it's like for the people operating and running kumoricon)

"A friend is someone who will help you move. A best friend is someone who will help you move a body" -Unknown

Offline Javie

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #145 on: November 05, 2010, 09:13:15 am »
The glomp circle in Pioneer Square. That's all fine and dandy if you wanna do that, but to yell out, "EVERYBODY GLOMP *INSERT CHARACTER HERE*!!!1111!!!" And then chase that person down when they're NOT EVEN IN THE CIRCLE is unacceptable.

When my Depp group and I walked into the Square for a photoshoot this happened to all of us. And our Hatter has a fragile costume, so that really pissed me off. When they tried to do it to me a second time I yelled at them to back the hell off and glared at them for all I was worth.

Seriously, how could they think it was acceptable to do that?

THAT. IS. NOT. OK.

Basically this "Sh**" happened to me when I was with a couple friends as Sebastian Michealis there. I decided to sit down and chill for a bit till this random fangirl screamed my character's name,and literally the whole group chased me..I ran of course and my friend yelled and told them to stop and managed to make a diversion and yes that day my feet were sore due to my dress shoes and I don't appreciate these people going on ahead and doing such stupid acts that would get them selves arrested.

There were couple con-goers who did piss me off quite a bit due to this outcome.
Plans for 2015

-*Maybe* Mikasa Ackerman (Attack on Titan)
-Ryuko Matoi (Kill la Kill)
-Ruby Rose (RWBY)
-Sister Paula (Trinity Blood)
-Akame (Akame ga Kill!)
-Aqua or Ventus (Kingdom Hearts)
-Sebastian (Kuroshitsuji)

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #146 on: November 05, 2010, 11:26:17 am »
So, I've just found out from my brother (two months after the fact, you are brilliant little bro) was given alcohol down in Gaming on Saturday night. This has probably been addressed before (in fact, I'm fairly sure it has), but he is like thirteen or something and has all the mental faculties of a particularly dim brick. He doesn't understand the concept of not accepting drinks from strangers. Someone down there was apparently passing around a bottle of Strawberry Vodka, and my brother came back to the room drunk at somewhere around 1AM. This was after he managed to somehow get lost between Gaming and our room on the 5th floor. Might I add, in the staircase up to the 5th floor. He was drunk enough to get lost in a staircase. He is 13.

That's not cool, guys. I mean, seriously? Alcohol in Gaming? Alcohol in Gaming? Alcohol in Gaming? I know it wasn't sanctioned by anyone because drinking isn't allowed at con, but shouldn't you guys enforce a rule of no food or drink around what must be quite a lot of very expensive equipment? Even if someone managed to sneak something in, there should be someone looking for that kind of stuff. A bunch of slightly buzzed nerds is one thing, but then a drink might spill and then you have a bunch of buzzed nerds and a broken console. Neither of those options really sound appealing to me.

Also, sticky controllers from people handling drinks/food and then equipment. Grossness.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #147 on: November 05, 2010, 01:32:30 pm »
Someone offered me a drink when I was downstairs.  I don't recall if I knew them or not.  But I immediately became suspicious.  I mean, who just offers their drink to someone randomly? 

Come to think of it, I think I was approached a couple of times by random people like this. :S

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #148 on: November 05, 2010, 01:33:49 pm »
:o  You'd better be careful, Chii.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #149 on: November 05, 2010, 04:48:25 pm »
The glomp circle in Pioneer Square. That's all fine and dandy if you wanna do that, but to yell out, "EVERYBODY GLOMP *INSERT CHARACTER HERE*!!!1111!!!" And then chase that person down when they're NOT EVEN IN THE CIRCLE is unacceptable.

When my Depp group and I walked into the Square for a photoshoot this happened to all of us. And our Hatter has a fragile costume, so that really pissed me off. When they tried to do it to me a second time I yelled at them to back the hell off and glared at them for all I was worth.

Seriously, how could they think it was acceptable to do that?

THAT. IS. NOT. OK.

Basically this "Sh**" happened to me when I was with a couple friends as Sebastian Michealis there. I decided to sit down and chill for a bit till this random fangirl screamed my character's name,and literally the whole group chased me..I ran of course and my friend yelled and told them to stop and managed to make a diversion and yes that day my feet were sore due to my dress shoes and I don't appreciate these people going on ahead and doing such stupid acts that would get them selves arrested.

There were couple con-goers who did piss me off quite a bit due to this outcome.

I'm so sorry that happened to you too. It just baffles me. I was just lucky that my costume aided me in protecting my group the second time. The first time there was really no time to think or act. :/ But I think you'd have to be an idiot to try that crap again when I've got my straight razor pulled and am glaring at you for all I'm worth in one 5'2'' ball of in-character terror.

Sweeney Todd fending off the glomp circle. Best in-character moment I've ever had. Looking back on it that was pretty epic. But still, no bueno on their part.

No bueno.

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl