Art Show Registration Form:
- Printed blank version [PDF] to handwrite your information and turn in at con
- Printed fillable version [PDF] to type and print your information and turn in at con
The Kumoricon 2014 Art Show
- Friday, August 29th, 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM
- Saturday, August 30th, 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
- Sunday, August 31st, 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
- Closeout hours: Monday, September 1st, 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Participation in the Art Show is available to any registered convention attendee or exhibitor/artist. The admission fee is 10% of all sales, to be determined at the end of the convention. The fee entitles you to show either 10 individual pieces or to fill a 4-square foot vertical art board. To guarantee a space you must submit an entry form, either online or by mail, with a complete list of all art work that you will be displaying. Available space is on a first come, first served basis with registration ending on August 29th at 12:00 PM or when all space has been reserved, whichever comes first. Online registrations must be received no later than August 28th, 2014. To expedite the process of at-con registration, please have your entry form completely filled out and available for processing at the Art Show desk.
Setup for the Art Show will be open for pre-registered artists on Thursday, August 28th from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM and Friday, August 29th from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM. Art must be delivered to the Art Show by the artist. If your art is not set up by 12:00 pm on Friday, August 29th, you will be marked as a no-show and will forfeit your spot. Please label all of your work on the back with your real name (not a nickname or alias) and a contact method (phone number, email, or physical address).
Kumoricon will supply boards for hanging 2-dimensional artwork and tables for the displaying of 3-dimensional works. An artist can display up to one 4ft x 4ft board for 2-dimensional works or can display up to one-half table (3' x 2') of 3-dimensional works. Protect your work: We will not be responsible for your models falling over—you display at your own risk. If any special accommodations are needed, i.e. an electrical outlet, please notify the Art Show Staff when registering.
Kumoricon will not accept any artwork that does not follow these rules and/or display guidelines:
- Subject matter for all works should be drawn from the styles of Japanese culture, including manga and anime, or commonly known comic or sci-fi culture.
- Artists may not submit works by another artist unless they are the designated artist's agents, authorized by submission of the agent's name on the sign-up form to the Kumoricon Art Show.
- All submissions must be of an artist's original production. Kumoricon Art Show will reject artwork which appears to be traced or a direct copy from an already existing piece. If it is determined by the Art Show Coordinator that the artwork is a plagiarism, then it will be removed for the duration of the convention.
- All 2-dimensional work must be matted, framed, and/or mounted. 3-dimensional works (models, sculptures, dolls, etc.) must be free-standing or self-supporting. Please provide your own protective cases if necessary.
- Fabric items such as scarves, quilts, and T-shirts may either be rigged for hanging, or mounted for table display.
- Normal safety regulations must be observed. This means no whirling or spinning blades, emission of toxic odors or fumes, explosives, radioactive materials, or biohazards.
- Adult art will not be accepted.
Kumoricon Art Show staff will be on hand to assist in the hanging and display of all artwork if the artist needs assistance. To accommodate the needs of the Art Show, the Art Show Staff may rearrange the artwork. Kumoricon reserves the right to refuse to display or to remove any work, for any reason, at any time. Decisions of the Art Show Coordinator and Art and Auction Manager are final. No cameras of any sort are allowed in the Art Show, except for supervised press or staff. If you are found taking video or photos of artwork, your camera will be confiscated.
All art work will be displayed with an art tag listing the title, lot number, and the type of media, which is signed by the artist on the back. A bid sheet listing the lot number, minimum starting bid, and a "Buy it Now" price (each determined at the artist's discretion) will also be included.
- Buy it Now – If the art work does not have any bids attendees can take the "Buy it Now" option. They will take the bid sheet to the staff table to pay the "Buy it Now" price. Once purchased, the bidder and a staff member will sign the art tag and the staff member will take down the piece.
- Place a bid – An attendee can place a bid on an item by entering their bid and badge number on the bid sheet. All bids must be in whole dollar increments, and must be greater than the minimum bid price set by the artist.
- Winning an item – The last bid must be completed by 6:00 PM on Sunday. There is a tiered pickup schedule on Monday the 1st.
- 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM – Highest bidders can claim and purchase the item.
- 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM – If an art piece has not been claimed by the highest bidder, the second highest bidder can claim and purchase the item.
- 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM – Remaining art pieces will be priced at the "Buy it Now" price or the highest bid, whichever is lower. The first person to agree to this price can purchase the item.
Please write legibly, and use your full name. In the event of dispute over payment, the art tag will act as a receipt.
Any artwork without bids can be picked up by the artist on Monday between 4:00 PM and 6:00 PM. Kumoricon is not responsible for mailing artwork back to the artist. Special considerations can be made if an artist is willing to pay for return shipping of artwork (contact the Art and Auction Manager if you are concerned). If the artwork is not picked up on Monday by 6:00 PM, the artwork will be held for 7 days. After 7 days, it will become property of Kumoricon. The artist is responsible for contacting Kumoricon to get the artwork at their own expense.
There is no additional cost for bringing prints to sell in the Print Shop but a 10% commission on sales will be charged. Prints must be in some kind of protective covering and be accompanied by a Print Shop tag. The Art Show is not responsible for damage to prints, so we strongly recommend you protect them, and the Art Show reserves the right to refuse to display prints inadequately protected. Only 10 repeats of the same piece are allowed in the print shop. Cards and postcards are allowed, but the same limit of 10 applies.
Limitation of Liability and Hold Harmless
The artist understands and expressly agrees that participation in the Art Show is at the artist's own risk, that any item sold through the Art Show is at the artist's own discretion and risk, and that the artist will be responsible for any damages caused to his/her personal property.
Kumoricon will not be liable for indirect, incidental, special, consequential, or punitive damages of any kind from the use or inability to use Kumoricon's services resulting from any actions by the artist, including but not limited to damages for loss of profits, use, data or other intangibles, even if Kumoricon has been advised of such possibilities.
The artist agrees to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless Kumoricon, Altonimbus Entertainment, its affiliates, officers, directors, employees, consultants and agents from any and all third-party claims, liability, damages and/or costs (including but not limited to attorney's fees) arising from the artist's use of Kumoricon's services or by the sale of property by the artist that was not approved of by the artist.
Credit: Rules derived from Anime Boston Art Show rules.