Author Topic: Obama is Prez  (Read 15911 times)

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
Re: Obama is Prez
« Reply #100 on: April 02, 2009, 06:50:31 pm »
Burning wood, as a serious source of energy, isn't practical at all.  The amount of energy you get out of it that can be collected and used to power modern appliances is so minimal that you're better off just cranking a lever attached to a small manual generator.  However, the whole "releases toxins, isn't renewable" part is completely bull****.  Burning wood, compared to burning artificial coals, gasoline, or chemicals like nicotine, really is pretty harmless.  It puts of smoke and carbon dioxide, but breathing puts off carbon dioxide, and smoke, without fun things like ammonia or sulfur in it, is pretty harmless.  Wood fires contribute minimally to pollution.  Why anyone would be making a big deal out of it when we're filling the environment with hundreds of megatons of other pollutants each year is beyond me. 

As for how wood fires effect the environment, the dead carbon ash provides excellent fertilizer, and trees like oaks and firs, as well as shrubs like ocean spray, which have natural protections against fire, tend to flourish after forest fires.  As a registered member of the Pacific Green Party, I assure you, that source is worthless when it comes to energy and sustainability, if this article you read is to be any representation of it.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #101 on: April 02, 2009, 07:02:02 pm »
The power plant he is whining about will produce 19 megawatts of power. Weyerhauser produces 35 megawatts at their plant in Springfield. Roseburg has a wood fired plant producing 65 megawatts. Here we used to produce about 6 megawatts, enough to meet the needs of campus, and export some on the grid.

True compared to coal, nuclear and hydro projects wood is hardly a player in the power production market, but every little bit helps.

The article was written on behalf of the regional air pollution authority. They need to throw their weight around a bit, as they are becoming increasingly irrelevant. I guess. They don't care about erosion I can assure you, come look at my millrace behind their operation.

Ammonia and sulfur can be fertilizers too. At least my house plants seem to really like the fish tank water that I use to water them with seems to do the trick. It has lots of ammonia and nitrates, by the time I change the water. I try, I really do to change the water weekly, but it slips to bi-weekly too often, just in time to keep the plants from dying it seems.

About the sawmill, they have demonstrated that they will be spending 11 million on stuff to reduce pollution that will surpass all standards set. This in a previous article in the Register Guard.

I wrote my mom and my own representative it exasperated me so.

It also goes after senator Wyden And congressman DeFazio as they are too moderate.

I guess the far-left and the far-right want all America to look liks Sacremento, so that nothing gets done, and the lobbyists can rule the roost, or at least the bureaucrats can.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #102 on: April 02, 2009, 07:11:39 pm »
Glad to hear you acted on it and have done your research on the subject.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2009, 10:41:38 pm »
Just a few figures on wood, etc.

The worst coal (lowest energy per pound) creates about 8,000 BTU per pound. Most of that comes from Wyoming and some in Centralia WA. It is nasty fossilized dead dinosaur sludge, and it creates a lot of ash and glassy crud when I burn it in my little melting furnace.**

The best coal has almost twice that energy: 15,000 BTU per pound and it is mostly form Kentucky. This is gorgeous, shiny black and it burns very clean and very hot.

Wood pellets are a fairly decent option; they are also in the 6,000 BTU - 8000 BTU range.

Lastly, making wood charcoal is a viable alternative, especialy if you can capture the volatile gases and burn those for some useful effect. Wood -> charcoal, and coal -> coke. Charcoal and its fossil fuel cousin coke both burn extremely hot and clean per pound. Cupola furnaces burn coke mixed in with broken up bits of scrap iron to cast pig iron directly. Great fun, here's Steve Chastain's rig pouring some nice iron:

People in WW2 used to drive cars they converted to producer gas - which is the volatiles coming off wood as you turn it into charcoal: Here's a guy doing it now: http://www.woodgas.net/

One old German geezer told me he'd hit strays while driving and throw 'em in the combustor. Hit the cat, toss it in over the top, get an extra mile and a half or so..

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2009, 11:52:51 am »
There is some talk of using E.coli to make biofuels.  I saw a show where they made a plant that converted bark and wood scraps to ethanol.  Also, there is research going on into creating longer hydro carbons.

http://domesticfuel.com/2008/12/30/e-coli-helps-make-ethanol/

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080106202952.htm

Using corn to make biofules like we do today poses a problem because it trades food products for fuel which for our governor has caused some problems(bad press for investing all that money).  What I'd like to see is Obama do some kind of challenge like Kennedy did.  Only related to getting us x% off foreign oil by 2010 instead of landing on the moon by the end of the decade.   
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2009, 08:54:00 pm »
@ mel...or anyone really, do you know why we are producing ethanol, as opposed to methanol? Is it just so we don't pay tax on it?

Big Hanaford is amazing! I'd go work there but I really don't want to go back to graveyard again, unless they have rotating shifts, which is still ick. But I could do that!

Note: they don't use the local coal anymore, it's more cost effective to ship from Wyoming or wherever back east. This from a friend who lives in the area.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #106 on: April 08, 2009, 06:19:19 am »
Here we go, another 'test':
http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSTRE53721Z20090408

Remember Prez Carter, who left Americans in the hands of Iranian hostage takers for 444 days?

Let's keep tabs on how President 'Seems-useless-without-his-teleprompter' responds.

Oh, and did anyone catch our new First Lady who TOUCHED the queen of England!
Way to go, Class act there!

www.hotair.com has also coined a great new word: "Obamateurism."

On another topic, my guess is ethanol is a byproduct of fermentation so there are many more ways to get it than to get methanol, which probably requires cat-cracking. Microbes generate their own energies to break complex sugars (also they make their own enzymes for converting starches into fermentable sugars.) Cracking towers generally run on human-paid-for energy sources.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #107 on: April 08, 2009, 08:21:39 pm »
methanol, comes in things like Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, and all vodkas. oh and beer. and whine, I mean wine. ethanol poison, methanol poison, but fun too!

Oh, and the Americans re-took the ship as of the time I left for work today. No waiting for Democratic presidents to come to the rescue.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 08:23:24 pm by jaybug »
Have Fun

Jay

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2009, 10:52:08 am »
Do you think Bo will be trained to bite reporters? You never know when the Secret Service is spending all that time walking the dog. lol
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2009, 11:38:54 am »
Oh, and the Americans re-took the ship as of the time I left for work today. No waiting for Democratic presidents to come to the rescue.
They are gonna try the 16yr old Somalis as adults.
Serves 'em right.

By the way if anyone wants info on what teenagers CAN DO on the open sea, check out this FINE YOUNG AMERICAN:

http://www.uss-barney-ddg6.org/joshua.htm

Age 10: Joshua Barney wrote a note to his father in which he stated that, “I have learned everything the school master can teach me.”

Age 12:  "Joshua Barney, now 12 decided he was ready to cross the North Atlantic." (umm, in winter, no less...)

Age 14: The captain of the vessel dies, leaving Barney in command.

Age 16: "Barney accepted a position as Master Mate aboard the ten-gun converted sloop Hornet. Joshua Barney, at age 16, was second in command to the captain."

Great reading, I'll leave the rest for those interested.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 11:47:29 am by Prinz Eugen »

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2009, 03:46:40 pm »

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2009, 04:56:17 pm »
But they had TOP MEN working on it!

TOP; MEN.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2009, 06:35:49 am »
Time for another news story link and one of my unpopular, inconvenient questions.
(Remember, all those 'Question Authority' buttons and stickers? They apply now too....)

News story:
http://hotair.com/archives/2009/05/05/lauria-allegations-of-threats-corroborated/

Question: Is this governing or bullying?

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2009, 06:46:28 pm »
Hmm, but the only good thing Chrysler was building was the M1A1 Abrams main battle tank. Unless you count Freightliner, which never really had much of anything to do with them, except as a target. Sorry, but I haven't liked Chrysler since they took over American Motors Corporation.

My mom rode in a Buick Lucerne a couple weeks back. She said it sucked. She's very glad she bought the RAV4 instead. I guess I should feel very grateful that my Le Sabre is doing just fine.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
Re: Obama Closes - um, Keeps Gitmo!
« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2009, 07:01:50 am »
SUCKERS!!

I wonder how many starry-eyed idealists are starting to feel more than a bit betrayed now.
Vote for a pullout form Iran/Afghanistan - Oops, we're staying.
Vote for an end to the Gitmo gulags - Oops, let's keep them...

Quote, defining the Obama Three-Step:
First: Denounce your presidential predecessor for a given policy, energizing your party’s base and capitalizing on his abiding unpopularity. Second: Pretend to have reversed that policy upon taking office with a symbolic act or high-profile statement. Third: Adopt a version of that same policy, knowing that it’s the only way to govern responsibly or believing that doing otherwise is too difficult. Repeat as necessary.
Re Buick I have not driven them in years. For a while they were THE choice for engineers. (Go figure that...)

« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 07:03:39 am by Prinz Eugen »

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
Write your own O-bambi speech!
« Reply #115 on: June 05, 2009, 06:42:01 am »
FUNNY ESSAY

Excerpt:

Step 1: "Thanks for having me."
2. Express shock that someone with your life story could ever stand before such a crowd…
3. ...But that's just America for you.
4. Pause for audience interruption.
5. Have gracious comeback ready.
6. Pay homage to Founding Fathers and/or quote the Declaration of Independence.
7. Express regret at America’s failures to live up to its founding principles.
8. Both sides have a point.
   (a.) "On the one hand....."
   (b.) "But on the other hand...."
9. Dismiss traditional battle lines as insufficiently nuanced. Find common ground.
10. After all, just look at me!
11. Manage expectations.
12. That said, don’t be afraid to dream big.
13. Invoke God.