Author Topic: Opinions Wanted For Artist Alley 2009  (Read 10883 times)

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
Opinions Wanted For Artist Alley 2009
« on: October 11, 2008, 10:19:56 pm »
There is is an idea that has been floating around for Artist Alley for Kumoricon 2009.  The idea is to have Artist Alley be out in the second story lobby area of the hotel.

The Good Points:
* Can have it going any hours you want.
* Lots of exposure, people will always be walking by.
* It's a pretty area.

The Bad Points:
* You will need to tear down completely every night. 
* You will need to set up completely every morning.

So, thoughts?  Additional points?  For the record, I do like this plan.  I think that it will lead to higher sales, create a nice activity out in the second floor lobby and let us have more dealers and artists. 

I am new to dealing with Artists Alley and am eager to hear from you all, who know alot more about this :)

Here are the pictures I have of the space:

The staircase you are seeing is the nice, big staircase as you enter the hotel from the front side.  There is more space to this second lobby that is not shown in these pics.  The hotel often has exhibits out there when hosting large/multiple conventions.  I will be touring the space with my AA Manager as soon as we can manage, so there will be better pics and her reccomendation as well. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 11:26:13 pm by Rathany »
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
Re: Opinions Wanted 2009 Artist Alley 2009
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 10:47:34 pm »
I think this post should be accompanied by pictures of the area.

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 09:39:20 am »
I think this post should be accompanied by pictures of the area.

Good point.  Pics added. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline KaBOOM

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 01:11:36 pm »
I really like that idea....
it would be fun for everyone I think anyways

Naruto: Hayate Gekko and Anko Mitarashi
Samurai Champloo: Jin
Nana: Nana ^^
(Sorry if it's to big I can fix it if needed)

Offline Oniyukai

• Cabbit
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 02:17:22 pm »
As someone who wants to get into the AA scene... Will this area increase the number of tables available or decrease it? I would hope you would have plans that would favor growth and not just convenience.

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 10:05:39 pm »
As someone who wants to get into the AA scene... Will this area increase the number of tables available or decrease it? I would hope you would have plans that would favor growth and not just convenience.

Quoted for importance!  I personally don't have an issue with the current set-ups, but then again this'll be the first year I'll actually HAVE a booth.  Though taking down everything completely every night doesn't sound like a lot of fun. 
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 11:25:50 pm »

Quoted for importance!  I personally don't have an issue with the current set-ups, but then again this'll be the first year I'll actually HAVE a booth.  Though taking down everything completely every night doesn't sound like a lot of fun. 

We haven't done a full walkthrough with our pipe and drape guys of the 2nd floor lobby (though we are arranging it.)  Our estimates have more booths in the '2nd floor lobby plan'.  The point of this plan is to try to get more exposure and sales for our AA people.  Our hope is to help yall grow, this plan isn't somehow easier for us :)

If I can get enough staff, we could have one or two 'AA staffers' to help with the daily carrying of stuff.  But, obviously, that is not something we can promise at this stage in the game.  I will also start looking into other things that might help with this. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline GenkiIchigo

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Genki's DevArt~
Re: Opinions Wanted For Artist Alley 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 05:13:03 am »
Personally I really like this idea, especially if it has the potential to help the AA to grow. Setting up and tearing down each day shouldn't be too much of a problem for me, though I can see how people with larger displays might find it troublesome.

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 10:11:10 am »
Dawn

Refresh my memory again, what will be taking place in the Pavillion room? Registration and main events?

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 12:04:24 pm »
Main Events will be in the ballroom downstairs.  Pavilion would be Live Events, as either 2 rooms, or one large room.
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline Neolucky

• Sailor Scout
    • http://nikorescafe.com
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 08:26:39 pm »
This is awesome, I'm SO excited for next year already! I am planning to attend the AA for my 4th consecutive year.

The Good Points:
* Can have it going any hours you want. - This is by far one of the best parts about this area! I'm such a night owl and so are other con-goers.
* Lots of exposure, people will always be walking by. - Great!
* It's a pretty area. - And looks like we get some windows as well!

The Bad Points:
* You will need to tear down completely every night.  - I already do this at every AA I attend, all year long, this isn't a bad thing. I don't trust anyone heh!
* You will need to set up completely every morning. - Again, I'm used to this. Anyone who complains about this, may not realize that it's the safest way to make sure nothing is moved or stolen during the night! This is fine with me. I honestly prefer taking up and setting down, and would love to see others doing the same if only to save themselves the turmoil of having work stolen or damaged. It happens at many cons, EVEN when locked down and security is involved!

Questions below:

1.) Will we get power?
2.) Will we have table skirts? Or is it the booth set up from years prior?
3.) Will the cost be the same?
4.) When can we sign up for a table? I'm ready and willing to do so at anytime. Doing this early on would prevent the fiasco that was this years sign-up.
5.) Will there be preferences of where we can be placed?
6.) Will we need a license next year? We haven't before, but I love to be prepared.

My only concern: Being in a lobby area may lead to people 'hanging out' which can cause a lot of traffic problems. They sit on the floor, or hang around tables and may loiter because of how comfortable the area may seem. This could be a draw back to the choice of location, however if there's staff around it shouldn't be an issue.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 09:51:07 pm by Neolucky »

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 10:30:44 pm »
My main concern is whether or not people with wheelchairs, baby strollers, limited mobility, etc., will still be able to get through crowded hallways if there are folks crowded around AA tables in these hallways. If the answer is unequivocably yes, then go for it; and if the answer is something like "yes but it will take a dedicated Yoji to clear the path when it's necessary", then make sure there is already a dedicated Yoji at each end of the AA area rather than forcing it to be encumbent upon the person who simply wants to get through the area and needs a wider berth to do so, to find a Yoji to help them.

Oh, and whomever gets put in charge of the AA obviously should be someone who will really answer all their email in a timely and a professional fashion; and their forwarding email address should be checked by Publicity before it is announced as working.

Thanks Dawn, we love you!
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 10:37:37 pm »
This is awesome, I'm SO excited for next year already! I am planning to attend the AA for my 4th consecutive year.

The Good Points:
* Can have it going any hours you want. - This is by far one of the best parts about this area! I'm such a night owl and so are other con-goers.
* Lots of exposure, people will always be walking by. - Great!
* It's a pretty area. - And looks like we get some windows as well!

The Bad Points:
* You will need to tear down completely every night.  - I already do this at every AA I attend, all year long, this isn't a bad thing. I don't trust anyone heh!
* You will need to set up completely every morning. - Again, I'm used to this. Anyone who complains about this, may not realize that it's the safest way to make sure nothing is moved or stolen during the night! This is fine with me. I honestly prefer taking up and setting down, and would love to see others doing the same if only to save themselves the turmoil of having work stolen or damaged. It happens at many cons, EVEN when locked down and security is involved!

Questions below:

1.) Will we get power?
2.) Will we have table skirts? Or is it the booth set up from years prior?
3.) Will the cost be the same?
4.) When can we sign up for a table? I'm ready and willing to do so at anytime. Doing this early on would prevent the fiasco that was this years sign-up.
5.) Will there be preferences of where we can be placed?
6.) Will we need a license next year? We haven't before, but I love to be prepared.

My only concern: Being in a lobby area may lead to people 'hanging out' which can cause a lot of traffic problems. They sit on the floor, or hang around tables and may loiter because of how comfortable the area may seem. This could be a draw back to the choice of location, however if there's staff around it shouldn't be an issue.

In total I've been part of well over 10+ AA's the country over,  both massive conventions and tiny ones, so if there's any feedback or suggestions to be needed I'll be there to help however I can =D!

1) Power is part of the plan, yes.
2) I was thinking yes on table skirts, but not bothering with the cloth backdrops and they would not add anything to the space.
3) Yes, the price would be the same under each plan.  
4)  When people can sign up for tables announcements will be made here and on the front page of the site.  If you don't follow forums/websites too often, email relations at the address on the contact page and ask to be put in the 'EX/AA Annoucement List' and you will recieve an announcement via email as well.  
5) Some booths will be in more prime areas than others, but this is also true in dealer's halls.  I have some ideas of how to manage this.  My manager and I will hash out these sorts of details after we have a pipe and drape walkthrough.  
6) Let me check on a few things before I answer this one.  

As for traffic, we will have our awesome Yojimbo who will be going through our con space.  

I do want to point out that this is all still pretty preliminary.  I've had this job for a just a couple days and it may be some weeks before I have everything I need to make a final decision.  But, for now, the input of all of you is really usefull to me.  
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 11:17:47 pm »
My main concern is whether or not people with wheelchairs, baby strollers, limited mobility, etc., will still be able to get through crowded hallways if there are folks crowded around AA tables in these hallways. If the answer is unequivocably yes, then go for it; and if the answer is something like "yes but it will take a dedicated Yoji to clear the path when it's necessary", then make sure there is already a dedicated Yoji at each end of the AA area rather than forcing it to be encumbent upon the person who simply wants to get through the area and needs a wider berth to do so, to find a Yoji to help them.

Oh, and whomever gets put in charge of the AA obviously should be someone who will really answer all their email in a timely and a professional fashion; and their forwarding email address should be checked by Publicity before it is announced as working.

The booths really shouldn't have a significant impact due to the way the space it, or so I think.  I will make sure that we talk about that once we have proposed layouts for the area.
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Neolucky

• Sailor Scout
    • http://nikorescafe.com
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 11:31:57 am »
I do want to point out that this is all still pretty preliminary.  I've had this job for a just a couple days and it may be some weeks before I have everything I need to make a final decision.  But, for now, the input of all of you is really usefull to me.  

Thanks very much! Already you're miles beyond this years AA coordinator XD; (I mean this as nicely as I can, seeing as I never once got a response without having to hunt them down!) so have no fear, I think you'll do great! I do check the forums and site rather often, and try to be active, so if there's an announcement made, I think I'll get it =D hohoho.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 03:58:56 pm »
since I had a completely different impression of the space when I looked at the pictures (I think it's because I didn't have any people in the picture to use for scale) I made this little map.

I put the measurements I could verify with documentation on with those little arrows you see. That should help give a general idea of the space. by the numbers we're talking about a 4,000 square foot space rated for reception capacity of 320 people. That's not pure standing room, that's an estimate based on having tables and other furniture along the walls to begin with.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 04:22:13 pm »

The booths really shouldn't have a significant impact due to the way the space it, or so I think.  I will make sure that we talk about that once we have proposed layouts for the area.

Great, thanks.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline soupisgreen

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 02:39:16 pm »
Very nice. That space seams amazing for AA. More foot traffic and not having to close up shop at any set time is really appealing to me. And I don't mind having to tear down every night either, I also do it anyways.

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 05:18:53 pm »
I really think it'd be a hassle to set it up every morning, and tear it down every night. Plus, I really liked that there was a defined shopping area.
Next con: Kumoricon
Make sure to pop in to the Tiptoe Through the TARDIS panel this year.
It is going to be...

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2008, 12:02:00 am »
Defined shopping area? People won't be able to miss the AA. It's right at the entrance and if I can have it my way--there will be oversized banners and neon signs, perhaps something Vegas-esque. Maybe even an acrobat and a henchman--erm--volunteer in a gorilla suit. Everyone loves gorillas. ;D
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 12:02:49 am by Evaldas »

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2009, 11:09:03 pm »
xD when i first heard it may be in the lobby i was all "WTF IS RATHANY THINKING!!! O_O Does she know how corwded it will be?! How many people will just be hanging out and blocking traffic?! How this is going to be a head ache?! D: " then was pleasently surprised to see that the lobby has two levels <3

I acualy like this idea very much, my group (which is growing...uh oh dont want to repeat last year again!) were already planning to dear down and set up every morning and night anyways for security reasons.. so its actualy to much of a hassel for us <3

It seems like it will be really busy though! @_@ my staff is growing wich is a bit good and bad for me, but it looks like i'll have enough people to cover the table(s) (I may put in for two since i got people selling hand made plushies and hats as well as artwork...)

question though:

1. Will this affect the hours of when the AA is open?
2. What is the lilklyness we can get the tables soon?
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 08:05:40 am »
Question 1: The AA will be open 24/7 during the con.  I will have more details here in a couple of weeks(hopefully).
Question 2: I should have an answer for you in the next couple of weeks.

Ya, ya been saying that for the past couple of months, but this time, I am serious. Really, I am. :) Scouts honor.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2009, 03:55:45 pm »
24/7?! wow @_@ that is a long time to man a lot of time to man a table.. specialy when my staff is all minors >_<

xD and I really hope you do my staff ish getting irritated with me... >.>;; Oh well it seems like this is gonna be a fun year for AA!

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2009, 04:15:35 pm »
24/7 allows you to be open when and however long you want. Set hours for your table--maybe even put out a sign stating when you will be open each day.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2009, 04:17:42 pm »
very good idea xD I intend to hang out in the lobby during most of the evenings cause i can be there as a minor (just cant go to any of the other con related places, already talked to a few staff bout it in the 24 hour con thread) but i wont be able to watch the stand....

i'm really looking forward to this now >:3 any idea how much the tables are goin to be?

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2009, 11:29:10 pm »
I am working on getting those details about booth size and price here very soon.