Author Topic: 24 Hour gaming room?  (Read 11906 times)

Offline ibot666

• Oni
Re: 24 Hour gaming room?
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2008, 09:20:04 pm »
i toataly would be up for it because i never sleep as much as i should.

Offline kalira

• Chibi
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2008, 10:27:20 pm »
Pending insurance issues (This is what has always held us back in the past) We might be able to do it this year.  I will let ya know when - if we have 24 hour insurance this year.  In the past our insurance ended at 2am (they would double to triple the cost if we didn't)

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2008, 01:52:43 am »
(Off-topic:
This thread produced my favorite personal misread of the day: "Cremation Station." :D )

Here's a good selling point to press for recruiting late night gaming staff:

If you're already on staff, and want a way to fill out your hours without cutting into the time of day when all the good stuff is happening, get your staffing out of the way in the middle of the night in the gaming room. :) This is exactly why I staffed the graveyard shift at Sakura Con's gaming room years ago. (Although, given, we don't currently have enforced minimum staff hours here, and not everybody measures the value of their contributions in hour increments when there isn't a minimum to worry about...)

Meh, games make you fat and lazy.

That's kind of like saying that "food is fattening." The spectrum covered by the word "games" is as broad as one could imagine. Besides which, if you look in the game room at con I doubt you'll find that the people there are any different, physically, from the rest of the convention-going public.

And if you're still not convinced...

« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 01:54:31 am by Radien »
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2008, 01:07:07 pm »
We could certainly push the same concept in favour of having people as Yojimbo.  In the past, for Gaming and Yojimbo, shifts have been based on our total number of staff available as a function of how many we need at any given time.  One of the things that keeps us from finding an appropriate contribution of hours is the fact that 20 hours running tournaments in the game room is very different from 20 hours running bag check in game room, which is very different from working 20 hours on Yojimbo, which is very different from spending 20 hours behind the reg table.  I think what we ought to do, rather than having an enforced minimum, is encourage people to contribute more by offering acknowledgment or other rewards that are cost efficient yet appealing.  We also really ought to consider hours worked outside of the actual con.  This can apply to pretty much anyone, including staff who also work 40 or 50 hours at the con itself.

For MEW Con, it's looking like over half of our gaming staff will be managers from other departments that aren't very busy during the con, so that concept would certainly work.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>