Author Topic: Yearly Convention Guide  (Read 2910 times)

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
Yearly Convention Guide
« on: August 19, 2015, 04:54:24 pm »
I've attended all Kumoricons and several others and picked up a few things along the way. Hopefully these will make your experience the best it can be!

-Bring and take your medication. If you need to take it during the day, bring it in a pouch. In a high-impact environment, you're exposed to not only stressors but also germs, so reduce the potential reactions to those elements. Of course, nothing is a guarantee, so if you find anxiety acting up or your throat getting sore, have a plan in place.

-Bring extra underwear. More than you think you'll need. Even if you don't end up wearing it, they can be handy mops or makeup removers in a pinch. Socks too!

-Bring more batteries than you think you'll need, and carry them around with you. Having your camera run out of juice in the middle of a shoot is awful, so be prepared.

-Now, I'm fully in favor of candid photos, and the con rules support me on that. However, if someone asks you to delete a picture, do it. Even if they posed for it. That said, if someone gets on you for taking candids of other people, point to the rules themselves. Be sure you aren't taking creeper shots, because there IS a difference.

-If someone asks who you're dressed as, don't get insulted at them not knowing. Not everyone watches the same series, and no matter how popular it may be there's always going to be someone who hasn't seen it.

-Don't you DARE get on anybody's case for cosplaying outside their ethnicity/weight/gender/ability/age/anything else. If someone does that to you, get a staffer to help you out. Also, there's a big difference between tanning for a costume and doing skin makeup for it--know it.

-There is nothing wrong with anyone wearing kimonos/furisodes/yukatas to the con, no matter how white they are (for some reason all other races seem to get ignored). It takes nothing whatsoever away from Japanese culture to do so, and tends to be greeted in Japan as a positive. Nobody is appropriating anything here. Again, if someone harasses you for it, get a staffer.

-TRY to shower daily, but I recognize that not everyone is going to have the time. If that's the case, at least WASH yourself. A quick rinse or a go over with a hand towel is better than nothing.

-Speaking of washing, wash your freakin' hands in the bathroom. You'll be handling door handles, cameras, glasses, and so on, so be considerate. And sneeze into your elbow, not your hands.

-It's going to be a scorcher, so remember WATER! They'll have it around the con, so make use of it. If you're like me and find drinking plain water uncomfortable, bring some flavor drops.

-Vary your diet. We all love the burgers and chicken strips at the Grey, but we need veggies and such. There's a farmer's market right across the way on Saturday, so if you forgot to pack some in advance you can get some veggies there.

-Speaking of the market, if people ask you about your costume or the con, don't be rude! If someone is rude to you, find someone who works at the market and let them know.

-Keep a good sense of how you're doing. If you need to take a break, do so. Stop in a quieter panel or the manga library if you don't want to stop doing con activities. And if you're outside and start feeling sick, go in at once--I've known people to faint of heat stroke at the con, and you don't want to be one of them.

-If you see a guest walking around, it's perfectly ok to say hi! It's ok to ask for their autograph--but if they decline or ask you to come to their autograph signing instead, DON'T PUSH IT. Same with taking a picture with them--if they'd rather you attend one of their events, don't push it (taking a picture just OF them should be fine).

-If, during a panel, you have something to say, raise your hand like school. You may not be called on, but you can try to approach the panelist afterwards. YOU BE THE JUDGE if it's important enough to do so.

-Don't be afraid to talk to people at random! We're here in part to make friends. Likewise if you don't want to talk to someone, let them know. If someone doesn't want to talk to you, accept it.

-You need to be able to communicate your needs. If you feel that you'll be put in situations where you can't, write them out ahead of time so you can show an index card that gets your words across if you're too flustered to talk.

-Be aware of when people are taking pictures. Look for cameras being held aloft and respect them.

-Be aware of people with physical disabilities. Walkers and wheelchairs and assistance dogs take up room that you need to respect. Also don't interact with service dogs unless the person says it's ok. If you're someone with those assistances, speak up when you need room.

-Non-service pets aren't allowed, and it can be a danger to have them at the con (as much as I'd love to bring my parrot, it's not allowed and it would stress her out too much). If you see a pet that shouldn't be there, again, let the staff know. It's for the good of the pet. Therapy animals should have a badge identifying them as such, so if you have a therapy pet, remember that badge. There are many places in the area that board pets of all types and they can be found in the phone book.

-Keep an eye on your props. I lost a perfectly good sea bass two years ago because I wasn't paying attention. Every two hours or so, do a mental check of your costume necessities.

-Bring a sewing kit. Cheap ones are available at dollar stores, or you can toss together a baggie of the thread needed for your costume. Include glue and hair spray if necessary.

-If you're wearing a wig, bring more bobby pins than you think you'll need, and ideally another wig cap. Those things break like nothing, so be prepared.

-EAT HOLY COW EAT. Too many people skip food until evening, and that's terrible for your health.

-If you need to call to check in, remember to do so.

Add your own!