Author Topic: Going to japan... Advice?  (Read 2290 times)

Offline Len-chan

• Sailor Scout
Going to japan... Advice?
« on: July 07, 2012, 11:36:27 pm »
Yup title says it all i'm going to japan next year this is a 100% for sure thing I am going to rent an apartment or house for a month. I am taking Japanese I and Japanese II at my college before going I am also joining a club so I can practice everything I learn :"> if anyone has been to japan has any advice or recommendations please feel free to msg me or post here :D
1st year Kumoricon already loving the community

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
Re: Going to japan... Advice?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 11:42:10 pm »
BRING ME BACK A CUTE JAPANESE GIRL~<3
cosplays done so far: kakuzu, gintoki, danboard, K Dash, assassin cross, loki of the emblem assassins, gilbert nightray, sebastian, black rock shooter kaito

Offline Len-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 11:45:49 pm »
Sorry :"> wont be looking at girls while im there :P

Boys > Girls
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 12:00:33 am by Len-chan »

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 11:49:07 pm »
kidding dude--

good luck~~
cosplays done so far: kakuzu, gintoki, danboard, K Dash, assassin cross, loki of the emblem assassins, gilbert nightray, sebastian, black rock shooter kaito

Offline maydrock

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 11:56:24 am »
ya i got advice take me with you ;D

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 02:29:08 pm »
What part of Japan? Although the country is "only" the size of California, there are LOTS of things to see & do while there, and depending upon where you're based, the choices will differ. (I lived in Japan May 1991 - May 1993, in Tokyo. I also visited there again in 2003 and 2007.)

One thing I'd suggest  is to look into purchasing a JR Rail Pass (look online for it). These passes are only available to Non-Japanese, and you have to purchase before going to Japan. The cool thing about the pass is that you can pop onto any regular JR train just by showing the pass (which means that over time it will pay for itself), and you can take Shinkansen and some of the other "big" JR trains for only the reservation cost (THAT is where it'll pay for itself in no time). When traveling, stay at Ryokan instead of hotels because they're nicer and the room typically comes with dinner and breakfast... if you're still very young, you may also be able to stay in a youth hostel for some of your adventures.

Definitely bring an electronic dictionary so you can look up things that you can't read/understand (and so if you have difficulty communicating with someone, you can work with the dictionary to figure out the gist of what they want to tell you.)

Offline Mog

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 04:21:43 pm »
  • When you don't remember a word, try saying it in a "Japanified" english
  • Be polite (-Masu form) until they use casual (Dictionary Form).
  • Don't eat natto (fermented soy beans), unless you are into that.
  • Have fun!

I'll add more when I remember more c:

Offline Len-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 07:16:05 pm »
Well I am going to travel the entire country for about 2-3 weeks and then i figured i would be staying in Tokyo or i might want to stay out in the country side though this will depend on how strong my japanese is by then.... for this trip money isnt too much of an issue though i would like to keep the total cost under $8000 USD including my plane ticket and possibly a friend... this is my dream vacation soo i plan to go all out :)

Edit* if i take my friend (meaning i pay for them) ill probly up my total limit to $9000 though im not trying to spend this much if i do and i have the time of my life so be it ya know what i mean?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 07:22:06 pm by Len-chan »

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 08:04:42 pm »
Tokyo very expensive

I would suggest bringing little souvenirs gift things to give to friends you make, doesn't need to be fancy some candy or american coins
Health travelers insurance, any medications perscriptions a month is a long time
American pillow
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids