Author Topic: Sword guy - New Swords  (Read 2606 times)

Offline The_Sword_guy

• Cabbit
Sword guy - New Swords
« on: October 23, 2011, 03:01:23 am »
Hi all. Some of you might of noticed me going around the convention with the nodachi (The giant sword everyone thought was live steel but wasn't. XD) I was thinking... I wanted to bring a multitude of swords if i can next year, just something to add some sort... Selectability. XD What do you all think? Any suggestions on what i could do? Any and all would be appreciated.   :D

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
Re: Sword guy - New Swords
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 11:41:28 am »
Interesting idea. Isn't the no-dachi heavy enough to be carrying around though? I can't imagine you pushing a wheelbarrow with a bunch of swords in it would be any fun.

Don't get me wrong though, variety is fun.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline hawk222

• Chibi
    • Hawk222's tumblr
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 09:48:21 pm »
New swords, eh? What style was this one? I think I may have seen it once or twice, but still...

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 09:57:02 pm »
Just curious, if it wasn't live steel.. what was it? I mean, it looked sort of dangerous?  :o

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 10:25:31 pm »
Stage steel doesn't hold an edge. It is also fragile compared to the real thing. In addition to that, stage steel is quite a bit less expensive than the real deal but still looks cool.

My teeth are sharper than stage steel swords. (No offense meant The_Sword_guy. I can pretty much bet on that being a fact though.)
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 06:48:27 am »
When I worked at a foundry my wife and I thought of casting Dokuro-chan's spiked bat in metal:

Problem was that in aluminum this thing would weigh about 175 pounds - and in steel, fuggettaboudit.

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 07:33:26 am »
Could take a hollow aluminum bat then weld the spikes on maybe?

^_^' yeah... my "super special awesome" cosplay I have in my signature sounds like it is going to be heavier than I thought if that is the case. :P I'm still going to do it some day if I get the money and time though.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline The_Sword_guy

• Cabbit
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 08:59:44 am »
Id have them all in a backpack type set up, kind of like kick balls but with swords. XD And yeah, it was stage steel, i believe it's called. Im pretty sure if i lightly swung it at a tree branch it would fold into itself. And it was light enough for the smaller con goers to hold, like the little miku's and stuff. XD And it was a nodachi, Think like 6 feet long. XD

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 09:19:48 am »
Yep, about 6 ft long from tip to end of the handle, maybe a little more **comparing using the picture of himself holding it**

Traditional real no-dachi length: "The length of the nodachi's hilt varied between twelve to thirteen inches (30 to 33 centimeters). The blade was usually around four feet (122 centimeters) long." - wikipedia (take that as you will)
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 09:21:18 am »
Bah, I keep forgetting it is nodachi... no-dachi is the battlemech name ^_^'
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done