Author Topic: You know what grinds my gears?  (Read 241546 times)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Re: You know what grinds my gears?
« Reply #150 on: November 08, 2010, 07:24:25 pm »
^ ...fair enough.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 08:04:14 pm by Washougal_Otaku »
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #151 on: November 09, 2010, 12:04:16 am »
YKWGMG?
People who post in a thread without really having anything to say. They post just to post!
They have comments like "Yay!" or "Yeah!" and that's it. They have no input or anything of real interest.
I understand if someone asked a question directed at that person but if not, every other post shouldn't be them throwing out one liners or sticking their noses in where they don't belong. Seriously. Your post count doesn't need to be that high and the spam is just annoying to a lot of people. Save your posts until you have something relevant to contribute.

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline Maiku

• Sailor Scout
    • Octavian Cosplay
« Reply #152 on: November 09, 2010, 12:13:11 am »
What grinds my gears? Setting up my DVR before I head to con, just to come home and find that they were all taken off to make room for a marathon of pawn stars.
2012 Kumo

Dad - Homestuck / Yukimura - Brave 10 / Captain Marvelous - Gokaiger / Flame Prince - Adventure Time

See some of my work: http://www.facebook.com/OctavianCosplay

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #153 on: November 09, 2010, 10:19:58 am »
YKWGMG:
City streets that have such incredible pot-holes or other deep accumulations of water that when walking or pedaling by them, inevitably one gets drenched by spray from the puddles when a car drives by.

And

Those moments when so much water from the road is sprayed up behind the tires of a big truck driving in front of one that one is temporarily blinded on the highway.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #154 on: November 10, 2010, 01:33:16 pm »
Alright, I'm finally ready to post this. I'm sorry, it's going to be TL;DR.

You know what really grinds my gears?

People Celebrating/Decorating/Advertising/Exploiting Christmas BEFORE Thanksgiving

This is Ally's #1 Biggest pet peeve, of all time, and could possibly be worse than forgetting her Birthday.

Background: I was born November 23rd 1987, which is a Monday, the Monday which precedes Thanksgiving in fact. As the first born of the youngest children in both my parents families, I was a special little baby and being born during an already instituted season of family togetherness meant my Birthday became a center of the family calendar. People I may not see for months at a time were always available for my Birthday. My 2nd Birthday was particularly special as it actually fell on the Thanksgiving Day. Every 6 years since then I get to have Thanksgiving for my Birthday. As I grew up I gained a very strong respect for Thanksgiving and what it mean to our Country and our society. As someone who has both Naitve American and Anglo-Saxon heritage it is a great memory for unity and for the establishment of civilized and prosperous nationalism. We give thanks for what we have and bless our friends, neighbors, family and strangers that they may have all they need.

Before I begin my rant; know that I LOVE Christmas with a firey passion that cannot be contained. I am not a humbug in the slightest! I just think everything has it's time... and Christmas shant come before Thanksgiving.

[begin:rant seq//22.9]

Chapter 1: "Christmas is TWO FRIGGEN MONTHS away!"

I am coming up on what some call a "Golden" Birthday. I will be 23 on the 23rd of this month. And that falls pretty close to my favorite holiday; THANKSGIVING. However, what I have seen around the Walmarts, the Safeways the Pier1Imports', FAOSchwartzs, the Macys (More on them later) is CHRISTMAS decor, CHRISTMAS sales, CHRISTMAS adverts!

CHRISTMAS! CHRISTMAS! CHRISTMAS! And it starts on November 1st! A whole 55 DAYS before Christmas even occurs! Does it really require 55 DAYS to remember Christmas? Is the Industry of consumerist prize and gift giving SO DESPERATE for funding that it needs 55 DAYS to propagate what was once a Pagan/Judeo-Christian Holiday? A RELIGIOUS EVENT? I think we, the masses and generation of 5 second attention spans should no better! We can't contemplate Christmas this early! It will drag on and be devoured before it ever begins! And yet, the stores are filled with CHRISTMAS carols and laughing Santa's and Candy Canes well before the TREES are even available! TWO FRIGGEN MONTHS? What in the name of all that is good and gracious makes us/marketing companies think that business model is more attractive than there normal business model of 2 week windows with a pre-week viral notion and a post-week recouperation advert?

Chapter 2: "We are NOT the Nation of Christmas, we are the United States of America"

School children can tell you; THANKSGIVING is a National Holiday, it is a statement of the unity we share with our brothers from other mothers - the tradition of camaraderie and thankfulness that transcends race, status or knowledge. We give THANKS for once in the year, as a nation, for our freedoms, for our families and for our food.

Yet this NATIONAL celebration, that requires no belief in GOD or JESUS or SANTA or a the GODS/GODDESS of THE SOLSTICE is underrated, disproportionate to a religious and consumerist holiday that happens well after it! A Holiday at the same level as the FOURTH OF JULY which we celebrate in drunken abundance, is under-written for an International Celebration.

We are the ONLY country that Celebrates THANKSGIVING on this day, for this reason. No one else celebrates the day that American Pilgrims were thoughtfully and selflessly invited into the open arms of the Natives and treated with the kindness and the familiarity we can only dream of achieving in ourselves. We look to those memories as HERITAGE. No one else does that. Other countries have similar events and Holidays, but this one is OURS. If we do not Celebrate it, who will?

Chapter 3: "There is room in the Calendar and Store Shelves for us ALL"

All I'm asking for is a little more respect for such a special Holiday. Your grocery stores attempt to bridge the gap with week long sales on Turkey and Canned Cranberry Sauce... but the BLACK FRIDAY ads get more respect than these!

The top Thanksgiving Day story this year? Not that people are raising money for the homeless and hungry to support our nation, Not that Republicans and Democrats will sit down and eat a meal to foster bi-partisanship in the government. No the top story about Thanksgiving? THE PRICE OF A TURKEY HAS GONE UP.

Really? REALLY? I mean REALLY? Is that what Thanksgiving has come down to? The price of your fowl??? Forgive me whilst I go cry this atrocity on the roof tops! Even Charlie Brown himself would be appalled!

It's simple;
       Nov 1st - Thanksgiving morning is the Celebration of our Nations forerunners and the Natives who showed us that we have SO MUCH to be thankful for, and that we owe it to our neighbors to share that bounty and rejoice in the harvest. Unity, Thankfulness, Remembrance. Valuable traits for our children and us to remember.
       Thanksgiving Day - December 25th is for The Celebration of the Christmas/Holiday season. Hang your stockings, trim the house with mistletoe and garland - buy a tree, sing Christmas carols, buy a yule log, get some dreidels and a Hanukkiya or just enjoy the solstice air.

Chapter 4: "It isn't Christmas Season until Macy's/Santa says so"

There was a time, when the largest department store in America, Macy's was on my side about this. They held of Christmas Lane and all the Decorations, ready and waiting to be put up Thanksgiving Eve. So that on Black Friday, when shoppers arrived the Magic of Macy's would instantly be coated with SugarPlums and CandyCanes. It was a perfect marketing scheme that tide in with one of the biggest events Macy's puts on; THE MACY'S THANKSGIVING DAY PARADE.

Historically, you knew it was the CHRISTMAS Season once Santa appeared on his sleigh in your television, laughing on your radio, or right in front of you as he made his way down 34th Street. In fact, this is one of the hallmarks of the 2nd longest running parade in the history of America.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macy's_Thanksgiving_Day_Parade
        Yet Macy's has shewed away from their traditions. Now Christmas Corner and the Holiday decor start even BEFORE Halloween is over! And yet the tradition of Santa Clause remains... they still "say" its the official start of the Christmas/Holiday season... but they don't give Santa the satisfaction anymore. Like a puppet Monarch, he's only their for show. Destroying generations worth of traditions and memories in the process.

Chapter 5: "A Lengthy Conclusion"

I growl every time I have to enter a store that willingly participates in the desecration of Thanksgiving, by shunting it off to a back corner of the store or 2 shelves worth of Cornucopia. I boycott most stores outright from Nov 1st - the day of Thanksgiving. But I am by no means unreasonable. I'm willing to compromise with the mass market moguls of the world:

If we could go back to starting the "Holiday Season" Thanksgiving Day, and decorate the night before, and make the Thanksgiving weekend the official start of your holidays, I'd be okay with that! My family personally begins playing Christmas music in the house the MOMENT Santa appears on the screen! From then on till the big day my Car plays NOTHING ELSE. I decorate to the NINES and spend the season in a glitter gorgeous wonderland! And because it lasts just 1 month long, I never get tired of the songs, the imagery or the smell of cinnamon or chestnuts or candy canes wafting in my house! I LOVE IT that much more! I buy into the Christmas Eve madness and I participate in the sales...

BUT ONLY AFTER MY BELOVED THANKSGIVING!

[end: rant seq//22.9]

TL;DR - SONOFAKRISKRINGLE!!! GIVE ME BACK MY THANKSGIVING! STOP SHOVING CHRISTMAS DOWN MY THROAT BEFORE I'VE HAD SOME TURKEY!!!

Thanks... I'm really glad to get that off my chest...

-Ally
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #155 on: November 10, 2010, 01:40:19 pm »
SONOFAKRISKRINGLE!!! GIVE ME BACK MY THANKSGIVING! STOP SHOVING CHRISTMAS DOWN MY THROAT BEFORE I'VE HAD SOME TURKEY!!!

Offline KikiRisu

• Cabbit
« Reply #156 on: November 10, 2010, 02:16:34 pm »
What grinds my gears? Setting up my DVR before I head to con, just to come home and find that they were all taken off to make room for a marathon of pawn stars.

haha! owned. uhm but no that sounds terrible :(

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #157 on: November 10, 2010, 03:59:31 pm »
Ally, you're adorable. Hope you get all you wish for in attention for your bday.
I, too, lament "holiday" blitz beginning so early, albeit for different reasons.
I have worked as a crisis counselor in multiple clinics in multiple states.
"The holidays" are when the most domestic violence incidents and the most suicides occur.
I believe the advertising blitz and the inundation of Xmas music etc. feel inescapable to most and that for those who feel lonely, alienated, have lost family members by death/divorce/child protective services, who have addiction issues, who are homeless, and/or who are mentally ill and/or otherwise disabled, it is easily the very worst time of the year. Couple that with how many folks don't realize they have seasonal affective disorder and it's a very scary time when many become desperate and desolate. Especially in the middle of the economic recession when so many can't afford the things constant bombardment of advertising makes them feel guilty for not being able to afford....It's horrible. I can't wait for it to be over....which is not to say anything negative about the holidays themselves. Just about the constant inundation of the commercialization of them.
(BTW, this is not about growing up Jewish. We had "Chanukah stockings" and a "Chanukah bush" and my mom had an electric Santa--wearing a Yarmulkah--in the window next to an electric menorah. I have relatives by marriage who are Catholic and Unitarian, and 1 relative who converted to Quaker along with his wife who had been Southern Methodist. The Catholic relatives would have us over for Xmas dinner.)

BTW: What does "TL;DR" mean?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 04:00:11 pm by RemSaverem »
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #158 on: November 10, 2010, 04:21:53 pm »
YKWGMG? Washington is banning alcoholic energy drinks because 9 stupid college students, none of whom were 21 or older, died.  They were morons, and those of us who know how to drink these things have to lose something we enjoy.  grrrrrr.....

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #159 on: November 10, 2010, 04:43:00 pm »
I get bad Seasonal Affective Disorder if I don't get enough exercise, sleep (or I sleep bad hours of the day), if I don't get enough sunlight.. 2 jobs and school means I'm failing on all fronts right now O:

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #160 on: November 10, 2010, 05:00:21 pm »
I get bad Seasonal Affective Disorder if I don't get enough exercise, sleep (or I sleep bad hours of the day), if I don't get enough sunlight.. 2 jobs and school means I'm failing on all fronts right now O:
Sorry to hear that, hon. Remember to randomly chat support people if you see us up late, it's way better than being mopey :)
Have you tried those all-spectrum lights?

YKWGMG? That one of those light bulbs I got at an indoor gardening store, the kind that look like swirls (compact fluorescent), caught on fire at my house a few months ago.

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #161 on: November 10, 2010, 05:27:11 pm »
BTW: What does "TL;DR" mean?

it means To Long; Didn't Read
check out my facebook page!! www.facebook.com/macnleecosplay

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #162 on: November 10, 2010, 06:15:58 pm »
I'm kinda miffed about Harry Potter releasing on my birthday. Every conversation I have about it goes like this:

Person: SO ARE YOU EXCITED ABOUT HARRY POTTER?!

Me: That's my birthday, too! o3o

Person: LOL HARRY POTTER! I LOVE HARRY POTTER.

Me: .... *sniffle* Oh... well *sniffle* have fun... ;o;
I miss 2010.

Offline KikiRisu

• Cabbit
« Reply #163 on: November 10, 2010, 06:18:57 pm »
I'm kinda miffed about Harry Potter releasing on my birthday. Every conversation I have about it goes like this:

Well happy almost birfdayee
Happy birthday to you
Happy birfdayee to yew
Happy birfdaye to deeeeemmooon
Happy birfdayee to you! Yay hurray
I wish I could give you cake :)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #164 on: November 10, 2010, 06:24:40 pm »

Tell them to choke on their popcorn.

My sister went to see "Due Date" with her friends on her birthday (because it came out on her BD).  She told me that one of the few things she liked about the movie was how funny it was that the baby that was born in this movie was named "Rose," which is my sister's name.

YKWGMG?  Hang on, lemme think of something...

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #165 on: November 10, 2010, 06:42:32 pm »
Sorry to hear that, hon. Remember to randomly chat support people if you see us up late, it's way better than being mopey :)
Have you tried those all-spectrum lights?

No, but I know what you're talking about.I've looked into it, as well as Vit D supplementation but never gone beyond just sunlight and exercise.

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #166 on: November 10, 2010, 06:46:36 pm »
@Washougal Yeah hahaha

@Kiri thank you!

Lol I'm severely vitamin D deficient. XD I've had to take 500% the daily value every day for the last five months. I went up 14 points from where I was but my doctor's afraid it's gunna get a lot worse since it's Winter.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 06:55:18 pm by DemonSpawn »
I miss 2010.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #167 on: November 10, 2010, 07:09:16 pm »
YKWGMG? Inability to swallow pills...including the calcium / vit D they've been trying to get me to take for a year due to my own deficiency in D. So far instead I've been gardening (even in the cold/rain) and sometimes drink Emergen-C.

Good luck, all.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #168 on: November 10, 2010, 09:02:31 pm »
I thought most vit. D pills were really small?  And isn't there a liquid kind you can get? ^^

But I know what you mean .. I take these fish oil pills that are gigantic.

Offline KikiRisu

• Cabbit
« Reply #169 on: November 10, 2010, 09:13:43 pm »
#1(69) !!!
ahh i feel 12 ^^
but yeah >< ugh its like cant they just condense it some how?

Offline Chan_Highwind

• Chibi
    • Chan's Facebook
« Reply #170 on: November 10, 2010, 09:48:28 pm »
Gear grinder for today.... Age discrimination. I was told today by a coworker that I didn't know how to say things because I'm 24, and there or should go f-off. I'm sorry, but when you snap at a customer saying, "What do YOU want?"... that is unacceptable. And I told her hey; that was kinda snappy and everything is cool. And I got told off.

Maybe I'm just delusional with my "young age", but you shouldn't be a B to customers.
Part of DoNotWant and RPOD

Offline KikiRisu

• Cabbit
« Reply #171 on: November 10, 2010, 09:50:43 pm »
OMG I KNOW! its like...ugh I hate it when im expected to know weird things just because im18 ><

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #172 on: November 10, 2010, 10:02:07 pm »
Gear grinder for today.... Age discrimination. I was told today by a coworker that I didn't know how to say things because I'm 24, and there or should go f-off. I'm sorry, but when you snap at a customer saying, "What do YOU want?"... that is unacceptable. And I told her hey; that was kinda snappy and everything is cool. And I got told off.

Maybe I'm just delusional with my "young age", but you shouldn't be a B to customers.

Insubordination
Rude to customers
Use of obscenities

Those could all be grounds for termination.  I know it was when I used to work for Taco Bell, AM PM, & McDonald's; I think the first one is the only one that would most likely occur at my current job, thusly making it the one that would matter.

Offline Chan_Highwind

• Chibi
    • Chan's Facebook
« Reply #173 on: November 10, 2010, 10:10:06 pm »
If she wasn't on thin ice before, she is now. I called my manager and told him what happened, and down side for her is that he also is 24.

I understand that everyone is different, bit that is just... grrrrrrrrr...

At least I didn't hit her. Lord and Lady know I wanted to...

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #174 on: November 10, 2010, 10:11:55 pm »
^ He is?  OMG!!!  That's awesome!

Offline Chan_Highwind

• Chibi
    • Chan's Facebook
« Reply #175 on: November 10, 2010, 10:13:53 pm »
^ He is?  OMG!!!  That's awesome!

Oh you have no idea how awesome it is.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #176 on: November 10, 2010, 10:17:56 pm »
Don't forget to recommend me as a new hire once he fires her, okay?

Offline Chan_Highwind

• Chibi
    • Chan's Facebook
« Reply #177 on: November 10, 2010, 10:26:18 pm »
Not a problem. Lol!!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #178 on: November 10, 2010, 10:28:50 pm »
YAY!!!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #179 on: November 10, 2010, 10:39:16 pm »
YKWGMG? Washington is banning alcoholic energy drinks because 9 stupid college students, none of whom were 21 or older, died.  They were morons, and those of us who know how to drink these things have to lose something we enjoy.  grrrrrr.....

Okay, slight misunderstanding; they didn't even die.

Offline Chan_Highwind

• Chibi
    • Chan's Facebook
« Reply #180 on: November 10, 2010, 10:43:17 pm »

Okay, slight misunderstanding; they didn't even die.

They didn't? They where pulled almost imedately because it was said they died... hmmm... I blame the idiot's media. XD -last bit was scarcasim-

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #181 on: November 10, 2010, 10:46:35 pm »
I don't blame you; that's what I thought they said at first, too.  I also blame our politicians!  Stupid Gregoire...

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #182 on: November 11, 2010, 10:15:48 am »
If I recall, alcoholic energy drinks can be dangerous because the caffeine/whatever else they put it in it is an upper, and the alcohol is a downer. Mixing uppers and downers can be bad. O:

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #183 on: November 11, 2010, 10:29:37 am »
I'm a downer. Today anyway. Downers grind my gears.

Know what else does? Why is it that when someone starts doing nice things, small things, too, not even big things, everyone else just assumes they have an hidden agenda and they just want something out of it, it's super annoying.
I miss 2010.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #184 on: November 11, 2010, 10:33:50 am »
Well just keep on doing them and eventually they'll come to know it as how you always are.^^

Offline KikiRisu

• Cabbit
« Reply #185 on: November 11, 2010, 11:15:40 am »
Being forced to wake up early >< I hate being forced to wake up early...on a day off QQ

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #186 on: November 11, 2010, 11:30:44 am »
Early mornings are great, unless you've been depriving yourself of sleep, like I have been the past few days.

Offline KikiRisu

• Cabbit
« Reply #187 on: November 11, 2010, 11:37:26 am »
:< gah I should t be awake right now! I usually don't wait up till like one or two when I have the next day off

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #188 on: November 11, 2010, 12:57:05 pm »
I'm a downer. Today anyway. Downers grind my gears.

Know what else does? Why is it that when someone starts doing nice things, small things, too, not even big things, everyone else just assumes they have an hidden agenda and they just want something out of it, it's super annoying.

It's not just you - here, have a WSU study. YMMV on how this applies to a wide scope of human behavior, from politics to relationships.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #189 on: November 11, 2010, 01:08:59 pm »
^That. Sad.

YKWE(else)GMG?
Some of my favorite-tasting, favorite-consistency foods leave me feeling not perfect afterwards. Today: Awesome Greek yogurt with figs. My mom has lactose intolerance, I wonder if I might have a mild form thereof or something. Never had this as a kid, can it come on later? (Also I was ok with peanut butter as a kid and now my tummy can't have that either.)
Please forgive if this is TMI.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #190 on: November 11, 2010, 01:12:05 pm »
If I recall, alcoholic energy drinks can be dangerous because the caffeine/whatever else they put it in it is an upper, and the alcohol is a downer. Mixing uppers and downers can be bad. O:

Not really.  What makes it dangerous, like with any energy drink, is TAKING TOO MANY!!!  (Which the drinks have labelled on them, so, stupid people drinking, stupid people in office).

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #191 on: November 11, 2010, 01:20:12 pm »
Well, from what I've looked up, the main problem is that people who drink caffeinated alcoholic beverages think they're in much better condition than they actually are.

Alcohol functions in your body pretty much the same, whether you mix it with caffeine or not: you will be impaired. The problem is, you may not feel as impaired if caffeine is present. A 2006 study published in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research found that people who drank energy drinks with alcohol felt better than those who drank only alcohol — the former group had significantly less dry mouth and headache. They also perceived their motor coordination to be better, even though it wasn't.
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1810802,00.html

The article also elaborates how several states feel the drinks are marketed specifically towards teens.

You know what grinds my gears?  Marketing alcohol to kids. D:

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #192 on: November 11, 2010, 01:21:42 pm »
Well, from what I've looked up, the main problem is that people who drink caffeinated alcoholic beverages think they're in much better condition than they actually are.

Because they're STUPID!!!

...but they shouldn't be available for kids, though; I'll agreee with that.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 01:22:42 pm by Washougal_Otaku »

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #193 on: November 11, 2010, 01:25:19 pm »
YKWE(else)GMG?
Some of my favorite-tasting, favorite-consistency foods leave me feeling not perfect afterwards. Today: Awesome Greek yogurt with figs. My mom has lactose intolerance, I wonder if I might have a mild form thereof or something. Never had this as a kid, can it come on later? (Also I was ok with peanut butter as a kid and now my tummy can't have that either.)
Please forgive if this is TMI.

I personally refuse to believe something a person would have to sit down and analyze at length could actually be TMI. But that could just be me.

This is a country, after all, where someone took the time to figure out how to play record after record backwards in search of alleged hidden Satanist messages ("backmasking") to be offended by. (^_~)
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #194 on: November 11, 2010, 02:39:56 pm »
The ironic thing is that if people hadn't already been looking at them, rock bands might not have sarcastically added backwards masking messages just for fun.

So the moment's YKWGMG: Self-fulfilling prophecies.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #195 on: November 11, 2010, 03:15:08 pm »
I remember once my friend was telling me she was listening to a Marilyn Manson song backwards to unmask a hidden message.  I said, "Why?  All of his messages can be heard by playing the song forwards.."

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #196 on: November 11, 2010, 03:19:47 pm »
Not all of his songs are like that; in fact, my favorite songs that he did were: a remake of "Sweet Dreams are made of These," and a song about a doctor name Gunn.  (Yeah, I actually researched it; that was his name, Dr. Gunn).

Oh, I forgot about "Beautiful People"!  That's a great song!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 03:20:30 pm by Washougal_Otaku »

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #197 on: November 11, 2010, 03:39:51 pm »
Speaking of "Sweet Dreams", I had a tshirt of the Eurythmics' Annie Lennox looking very butch with an orange crew cut, a bondage mask, making a fist, with the album title, "Touch" listed under her photo. I was told if I didn't turn it inside out I would have to leave school or be suspended. I refused. I said I would either go topless or proceed to band class. Needless to say I went to band class (this being freshman year of high school). Director Elton Eisele asked me why I was late to class. I informed the class. The cute senior fellow-clarinetist girl I had a crush on actually cheered for me. Highlight of that month for me.
So:
YKWGMG? Overly-protective censorship attempts upon kids' freedom of expression.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #198 on: November 11, 2010, 03:49:15 pm »
Did you hear about all those kids that got in trouble for wearing Sex Pistols t-shirt?  They did it in support of a kid that got in trouble for wearing a Sex Pistols t-shirt .. in high school.  I dunno.  I don't see the issue.  Then again, I wear shirts that say "Goatwhore" (a band) on them and stuff.  (Of course, having said that, I wouldn't wear a shirt like that to say, my nieces' school or something.. hehe..)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #199 on: November 11, 2010, 03:50:37 pm »

Kids need limits, though.  Some limits are ridiculous (such as high schoolers who can't wear Sex Pistol t-shirts), but I think some are essential, and missing.

YKWGMG? Hearing people say that the Jackie Chan version of The Karate Kid shouldn't have been called by that name since it isn't even karate, even though it keeps the same message and is part of the franchise.