Poll

Based on this Kumoricon, Would you attend next years at the same place?

Yes! Definitely
101 (48.1%)
Maybe, I would have to see some changes
76 (36.2%)
No! Definitely not!
21 (10%)
OTHER: PLEASE COMMENT!
12 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 207

Author Topic: Kumoricon 2010 Attendance  (Read 27800 times)

Offline altoidsyndrome

• Cabbit
    • LiveJournal
Kumoricon 2010 Attendance
« on: September 08, 2009, 09:49:28 am »
I know that this years convention at the Hilton was met with complaints, which were doubled when we discovered it's being held in the Hilton again next year. So, I want to see, based on this years convention, how many people plan on attending next year, if it promises to be the same sort of deal. Because the Hilton is not going to get any bigger. ;D
"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. . . but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it is more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly. . . timey-wimey. . . stuff."

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
Re: Kumoricon 2010 Attendance
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 09:58:59 am »
After getting used to how it was set up there wasn't a problem at all for me. It took about a day for things to settle down. I had a lot of fun this year. The only thing that bothered me were the elevators really. I will be going back next year even if it was in the same spot.

Offline kit2kit

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 10:02:38 am »
I had a blast this year. I will Definitely be coming next year.

I didnt really mind the hotel. Sure it was crowded and some things were confusing but you just have to get used to it and you're fine.
'16 Cosplay
Suzuya (Tokyo Ghoul) // Magic!Betty (Adventure Time)

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 10:05:22 am »
While I'm really not crazy about this hotel, and felt it was much too small for the amount of people there... Not to mention the confusing layout and all of the stairs (which were a royal pain to constantly walk up in my costume), I'm sure I'll be going next year... Though I might have a costume with shorter pants this time, so it's easier to walk up stairs... Heh. :P

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 10:16:39 am »
I agree with everyone else, negatives aside, Kumori-con is Oregons @ place for anime
convention going-ness and I intend to stick with is now that I have arrived, I do however
want to be more active in it's assembly and production because of this year. It felt like
they just needed more volunteers per guest and they just didn't have it. So maybe this
will encourage people to get involved!

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 10:31:58 am »
I think half the problems is despite the attendance projections, no one was quite ready to handle the amount (both hotel and staff alike). However, I think it was still a good turn this year and people had fun.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 10:53:53 am by Evaldas »

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 10:54:49 am »
I don't plan on coming back next year. Nothing personal, I'm still going to follow Kumoricon's progress on the forums, but I do not plan to pay for a similar experience next year. Everything I looked forward to about this weekend didn't happen. I just don't like that hotel, and I don't see a reason to pay for a weekend I won't even half-enjoy.

I do plan to return in the future, I'm sure of that. I just plan to take a year off. Hopefully a convention center will be in sight after that.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 11:25:27 am »
Currently I'm on the fence. I'd have to see what will change for next year before I decide. Worse comes to worse I'll go to Akicon or Mewcon, so w/e.
I'm just sad that I'm even considering not coming since I've been going since 2004. It will be weird, that's for sure.
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 11:28:18 am »
I am probably going to attend next years, just to see if it's going to be easier to deal with than this year... Because to me, I think the reason the staff was a little mean was do to lack of knowledge on this con... they probably didn't realize how many people would actually be attending and didn't ask a lot of questions.

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 12:01:07 pm »
I will most likely not attend Kcon until they find a different place. This hotel was a BAD decision. But I might consider going again next year if they fire all the staff and start over.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 12:05:46 pm »
I just wanted to add that my not attending was not a decision based on just one weekend. I've been attending Kumoricon since 2006, and I have always loved the community and what Kumoricon offers. I have just been going long enough to see the event's rise and fall. So, for a year, I want to sit back and not pay for what may very well be more on the "fall" side of the spectrum, rather than the "rise", does that make sense? When things pick back up, I will be glad to come back. I just know I wouldn't be satisfied with Kumoricon the way they very well may be next year, since so much of the issues are rooted in static things like hotel location and the like.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 12:09:21 pm »
I just wanted to add that my not attending was not a decision based on just one weekend. I've been attending Kumoricon since 2006, and I have always loved the community and what Kumoricon offers. I have just been going long enough to see the event's rise and fall. So, for a year, I want to sit back and not pay for what may very well be more on the "fall" side of the spectrum, rather than the "rise", does that make sense? When things pick back up, I will be glad to come back. I just know I wouldn't be satisfied with Kumoricon the way they very well may be next year, since so much of the issues are rooted in static things like hotel location and the like.

ya, that does make a lot of sense, to give you a break as it were and allow it to recharge in a way so that the next time you do go, it's exciting instead of a let down.

Offline Miyako

• Cabbit
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 12:09:34 pm »
I will go back next year. The staff, once they calmed down, were not that bad. Once I got used to the layout, it was fairly easy to get places. Overall, I did enjoy myself. I'm not going to be mean and say I won't come back. The hotel can't be changed, that's something that is going to have to take the work of the con-goers to fix. The hotel staff and security guards were fairly civil by the end of Saturday. Sunday I didn't see a problem at all.

I do think that next year there will be a ton of positive changes. Hotel staff will know what to expect and change accordingly. I just hope they have a lot more interesting panels. I only went to a couple because everything else looked...well...boring.

Offline Acheron

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 12:32:56 pm »
If I'm still in Portland come next year (aaah college aaaaaaaah), I'll definitely be going. Kumoricon is the only con I go to, so I look forward to it all year. Wild horses couldn't keep me away from K-con!
Kumoricon 2014:

Offline Ottery

• Cabbit
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 12:36:34 pm »
Even though next year is my first con, I know the Hilton pretty well. I'll definitely be going. :3
2014 Cosplay:
 Mio (k-on!)

Offline IrukaSensei

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 12:55:54 pm »
I will be returning, leave it at that.
2015 Cosplay Lineup
Female Martial Arts Turk - Nova Kurosaki - FFVII: Before Crisis/Crisis Core
Kaname Kururugi - Inuyasha: Juso no Kamen(Hakama and Normal)
Chika Kururugi - Naruto OC (Formal, and Normal)

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 05:26:19 pm »
I will be.

Not because it was super amazing this year, because it wasn't, but because it's one of the few cons I can actually go to and I won't have enough money for Sakura. Also, I did have fun- Just not as much as I was expecting.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 05:32:07 pm »
I have to go, it's Kumoricon after all.
I can't imagine sitting at home and not going.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline legoman60

• Sailor Scout
    • M.E.W.con
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 05:39:41 pm »
will be there, will be staffing, will not return if things dont change for the staff
2008-2010 MEWcon Staff

2008 Kumoricon Attendee
2009-2010 Kumoricon Staff
2012 Kumoricon Attendee

2010 Sakuracon Staff

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 05:42:12 pm »
How could I not return?

Frank West must rise again to get the scoop that will make his name known again.

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 05:44:47 pm »
My decision to go is not based on the hotel. I know a lot of people disliked it, but personally I didn't have that big of a problem and it is Kumoricon after all. I love K-con and it's such a disappointment to see all these people I am familiar with saying that they don't want to go if it's at the Hilton again. But I gotta hold my panels!~ :D
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline Minto

• Oni
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 06:25:03 pm »
Well at first I was considering not coming back next year because I didn't like the hotel, and for some reason this one just wasn't as exciting for me, but then I won the bucket, so I figured it'd be a waste of the free pass if I didn't go.
So I'm hoping that they'll choose a bigger hotel or something because I think that could help a good amount.

Offline Mykath

• Cabbit
    • dA Account
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 06:49:40 pm »
I'm going because I wanna see if they handle it better next time around.

oslapedo

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2009, 06:53:45 pm »
I picked other because I don't know for sure. But likely I won't since it's 99% staying at the Hilton again.

I'd love to come back for KCon '11 though~

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2009, 06:54:27 pm »
If they make it so minors can go to things later I wouldn't mind it being at the Hilton...

oslapedo

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2009, 06:55:54 pm »
^ Minors can easily sneak into viewing rooms, though they might beef up the security next year. On Sunday - Monday I didn't sleep and spent some of my free time with friends watching anime.

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2009, 06:57:34 pm »
As i said I will be back next year. I wouldn't miss Kumoricon for anything. The staff for me were quite helpful and friendly. My only complaint was the hotel staff, some of them seemed a trifle snippy towards us anime fans. The room was wonderfully comfortable and I had no problems falling asleep. But the air I thought waas a little on the dry side, The traffic was a bit of a hassle but I imagine that Kumoricon will get that fixed next year. I think what stymied the hotel and everyone was the amount of people who showed up. Also I heard the staff had a bit of a Youjimbo (security) shortage. I think if anyone out there would be willing to volunteer as a youjimbo next year the more they have the happier they'll be. It was definitely fun for me and some of my fellow Taekwondo students after our demonstration. They stayed and explored Kumoricon, and they loved the karaoke (Hope I spelled that right). Anyway As soon as my photos from Kumoricon are on my blog I'll make an annoucement concerning that. See you folks around.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 09:41:14 am by Animeman73 »
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2009, 06:58:00 pm »
For me, so much of this is a potential trend. 2009 was only a worsening of what we saw starting in 2008. So, given that focus, I really don't want to risk another year, especially since the problematic location doesn't change. As has been said, I'm completely willing to come back in '11, but not next year. I'd rather the kinks get worked out when I'm not paying for it, if that makes sense.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Nayamashii Koneko

• Cabbit
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2009, 06:59:26 pm »
I picked other not because of the hotel but I want to see significant changes with Kumoricon staff. I have done reg for three years and this year I stepped into the shoes of the Yojimbo..and what I have done and seen...there needs to be huge changes.

I love my Con family and I would love to stick with them...but like I said, there needs to be changes and they need to happen sooner than later.
K-Con Attendee 04 and 05
K-Con 06 Volunteer (Registration)
K-Con 07 Registration Staff (Pre-Reg)
K-Con 08 Registration Staff (At Door Reg)
K-Con 09 Yojimbo

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2009, 07:00:20 pm »
^ Minors can easily sneak into viewing rooms, though they might beef up the security next year. On Sunday - Monday I didn't sleep and spent some of my free time with friends watching anime.
Nah I meant for the dances..

Offline Nayamashii Koneko

• Cabbit
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2009, 07:02:32 pm »
If they make it so minors can go to things later I wouldn't mind it being at the Hilton...
The issue wasn't that minors couldn't attend things, the problem was the amount of space we had and the timing. In past years, minors could attend most of the panels/events. This one year just didn't work out.

We apologize for the minors not being able to go to the rave, but please understand that it takes time to set up events and equipment.
K-Con Attendee 04 and 05
K-Con 06 Volunteer (Registration)
K-Con 07 Registration Staff (Pre-Reg)
K-Con 08 Registration Staff (At Door Reg)
K-Con 09 Yojimbo

oslapedo

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2009, 07:08:02 pm »
True dat eve. Speaking of you, I think I might've been in an elevator with you one one of the days. There was an Aerith in it and I was like, "Woah, Aerith? b" and I think I kinda saw you out of the corner of my eye, but yeah :D

Minors in the dances would be nice.

I'm wondering, so long as minors are mature and behave themselves I think they should be allowed to have 24 hour priveledges too. Me and my friends were quiet in the late night viewing rooms and made sure not to disturb anyone.

I don't know exact figures but a large chunk of the attendee pie is comprised for minors so why not give them/us bang for their/our buck? There was barely anyone in the lobby during the wee hours and it would've been nice to see some more cosplayers and use the chill time as a photo oppurtunity.

Offline Man of the Public

• Catgirl
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2009, 07:10:44 pm »
I may or may not go.

But it's based more on money than hotel choices at this point.

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2009, 07:11:11 pm »
to Oslapedo-

Actually during the second night VERY late (as it suddenly struck me then) I did have a little deal like that going right outside the hotel, I think I will repeat that again next year as well as people seemed to enjoy having it done- including Spot our GREAT photo room guy!

Offline altoidsyndrome

• Cabbit
    • LiveJournal
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2009, 07:22:33 pm »
I'm wondering, so long as minors are mature and behave themselves I think they should be allowed to have 24 hour priveledges too. Me and my friends were quiet in the late night viewing rooms and made sure not to disturb anyone.

I'm sorry, but Portland actually has a city law, prohibiting minors from being out after midnight. I know this because my sister wanted to go to the late night stuff with me, and the staff said no, and the non-emergency number operator I spoke to also said no. I can't see the curfew changing.

Also: Thank you everyone who has voted so far, please feel free to post reasons why or why you're not going back to the K-Con next year.

:D
"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. . . but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it is more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly. . . timey-wimey. . . stuff."

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2009, 07:22:57 pm »
Now that I know where the hell everything is, I am perfectly fine with coming back to the Hilton.

Offline acton

• Sailor Scout
    • Acton's Hermitage
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2009, 07:57:26 pm »
While Kumoricon is dear to my heart, it has always been a diversion for the Labor Day weekend. I am a regular attendee to Rainfurrest and Orycon. Both have better panels and it seem Furry conventions have better art panels. Not just 18+ stuff. I been bother by int inconsistency of the panels and for two years been very disappointed with Creation Station. Please send one up to Rainfurrest and they can show how to run an art track.

I will not be attending 2010 because I will be attend another convention during the Labor day weekend, less I do decide to relocate out of Oregon, I may make Kunoricon my last Oregon hurrah.

PS. If my contract leads to a permanent job all bet are off and I still be attending Kumoricon, this time I will get a hotel room for the night.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 09:40:41 pm by acton »

Offline NickelZinc13

• Cabbit
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2009, 09:21:56 pm »
I love Kumoricon, I still want to go, despite my anger towards the hotel staff!

I heard a rumor after the final day that the hotel executives ACTUALLY want us to come back - If this IS true, then we should be able to expect a great deal of changes! However, it's only a rumor I picked up.

As for the raves, yeah, I was horribly annoyed that I couldn't go (I'm currently 17). However, since we'll be at the same hotel, then I could advise an all-ages nightclub where the law isn't enforced, but with some downsides to balance it.
LOOK! IT'S MY SIGNATURE! :D

I lost the game.

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2009, 09:23:51 pm »

I heard a rumor after the final day that the hotel executives ACTUALLY want us to come back - If this IS true, then we should be able to expect a great deal of changes! However, it's only a rumor I picked up.

It is true- they mentioned such at the Rant/Rave and that one of the top people running that hotel has handled events like this before in California but something must have gotten lost in translation for this one or something.

Offline NickelZinc13

• Cabbit
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2009, 09:26:58 pm »

It is true- they mentioned such at the Rant/Rave and that one of the top people running that hotel has handled events like this before in California but something must have gotten lost in translation for this one or something.

That actually raises my hopes for this coming year. Thanks for the confirmation!  ;D
LOOK! IT'S MY SIGNATURE! :D

I lost the game.

Offline catboy-trades

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2009, 09:31:34 pm »
I will not be returning.  If they have it at the same place I will not return.  The hotel staff treated me like utter crap.  When I complained they treated me like it was no big deal.  Even the head of security said it was alright that it happened.  He even said that his people did the same thing to a previous group that attended their convention... same complaints and everything.  However they were not a minority group.. they were a subculture group.

So then I asked if we would of been treated the same way if we were a minority group.  He then said no.  I asked why.  No comment.  Why?  because minority groups are protected... if this was a gathering of little people and not anime fans and they were called "freaks" and were forced to walk up to the 23rd floor on those stairs they could sue the hotel and own it within the weekend.

No I will not return.  If the con is held somewhere else... then yes I will return.  But not if it is in the same place.
I don't want to spend all that money just to be told I am a ****ing freak for a weekend and to be pushed an treated like I mean nothing.

Offline Himeno

• Cabbit
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2009, 10:00:28 pm »
I have no idea if I'll be back next year. It depends on dates of other events, transport/flight timings, who else I know is going, available funds, exchange rates and if I can get the time off work.

Offline Shingami_lover

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Facebook
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2009, 10:04:55 pm »
I going to go... because I love the staff and the people who come!

Also if it is bad attended they do not get money and we get stuck in a bad spot again in 2011, just remember it will come around to bite if u are not careful!
~2016~
Sasuke Uchiha, Kanda Yuu
Touka, Michiru,
and Haha

~Panels~
Anime Court 16, 14, 13 - Chess Master 2014

DicePanda Cosplay, Cosplayers of Oregon, Brothers United Productions

Offline catboy-trades

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2009, 10:14:25 pm »
I going to go... because I love the staff and the people who come!

Also if it is bad attended they do not get money and we get stuck in a bad spot again in 2011, just remember it will come around to bite if u are not careful!

HA!  I will believe it when it happens...
The hilton shouldn't get our money anyways.

oslapedo

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2009, 10:18:31 pm »
No they shouldn't b

If I could drive I'd just stay at another hotel and commute to KCon but since I can't I just won't go.

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2009, 10:23:45 pm »
I already know that I will be there and I am sure staffing again.

I personally did not have any issues with the hotel staff (but the only staff I really dealt with was the two guys in charge of security).
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Kahlan4

• Catgirl
    • myspace
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2009, 10:39:14 pm »
so, i am with eve in that i will most likely not go next year, but would love to go in 2011. i pretty much agree with what eve had to say and what some others said about hotel issues (mainly that it was small, i didn't have problems with the staff, but i am surprised at how poorly some con-goers were treated, not cool), and organization/panel issues (seems we could never get to anything on time, or early enough to actually get in, and all the panels/events we wanted to go to seemed to all be scheduled on saturday, meaning we couldn't go to most, and then we had nothing really to do on the other days). but all this has been said by others...

anyway, though we most likely won't be attending the con, eve and i still want to make our planned cosplays for next year and just hang out outside the hotel (assuming weather permits) so we can meet up with friends and get some photos.

just hope k-con 2011 can be held in a better location and more of the kinks get worked out ^.^

let's all meet at icicle inn!

Offline Himeno

• Cabbit
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2009, 10:49:03 pm »
No they shouldn't b

If I could drive I'd just stay at another hotel and commute to KCon but since I can't I just won't go.
You could stay at the Double Tree and get the Max to the con. Both stops are in the 'fareless square'.

oslapedo

« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2009, 10:56:49 pm »
Actually, maybe we'll do that and just hang around the Hilton for photoshoots. I love cosplaying and it kills me to miss such a great oppurtunity.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2009, 10:59:29 pm »
Yeah, same with us. I love cosplaying, that is the main reason I attend Kumoricon, and since cosplaying is not directly related to any official indoor (money-requiring) events, I don't see why I should miss out on that aspect if I don't go. Cosplay is phuuuun. ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!