Author Topic: Punk or Goth?  (Read 9046 times)

Offline RandomCosplay

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
Punk or Goth?
« on: February 16, 2009, 02:21:38 pm »
Im both mix with Visual Kei XD when I try to find things to put together anyways ^^
any takers lols

what do you like?

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
Re: Punk or Goth?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 03:08:27 pm »
Neither.

As for visual kei, I'd prefer to not end up on a certain LJ community that likes to make fun of people who screw up Japanese fashion.'
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline RandomCosplay

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 03:42:18 pm »
Neither.

As for visual kei, I'd prefer to not end up on a certain LJ community that likes to make fun of people who screw up Japanese fashion.'

lol I'm the type of person that if I'm being made fun of Laugh back at them

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 11:21:25 pm »
I dont have a Punk attitude but I wear plaid skirts cause they are fun
I dont have a Goth lifestyle but I love the fashion.

To me they are both different forms of fashion that I encourporate into my wardrobe. Im not angsty engough to be punk nor depressed enough to be goth. lol

And sometimes I wear polos and kakki pants.... :)
2008 Adult Content Coordinator
2009 Adult Content Coordinator
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 12:33:55 am »
CRAWLING IN MY SKIIIINNN, THESE WOUNDS THEY WILL NOT HEAL!
Actually, I'm a bit of an odd ball; you can't really stereotype me (my best friend got pissed once because he couldn't).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 08:47:56 am by Teasel »
"Yes, that's a gun in my pants. But that doesn't mean I'm not happy to see you."

Offline RandomCosplay

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 02:01:12 am »
lol me nether Im so an odd ball to

Offline ishpumalibu

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 04:00:16 am »

plaid skirts are hot, I know that wasn't needed but I can't help it.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 06:36:27 am »
I don't really understand your question, so I will just assume you are asking who is punk or goth?

Fashion-wise, if I feel like dressing myself up for an occasion, it would be much more on the goth-side of fashion than anything else, but those times are few and far between lately (just because I never have the time or find much reason to get dressed up). When I do get gothed up, though, I love big boots, lots of bizarre, dangerous-looking jewelry, and various other accessories and fun stuff, lol.

Personality and character-wise, though, I'm just a bizarro, haha. I love the Gothic lifestyle (which despite suppositions people may hold, is not about depression and angst), I love weird fashion, the Renaissance and various aesthetic periods of European history. Also, a great deal of how I act and the things I enjoy in life can be seen as influenced by what I read. I love to read classical literature and poetry, in particular, and authors like Edgar Allan Poe, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, H.P. Lovecraft, Alfred, Lord Tennyson, Lord Byron, Shakespeare, these are all people whose writing has impacted my life, and shaped my character into what it is today, what could be aligned with that of the Gothic, modern-Victorian, and so on.

Anyway, sorry for the rant and ramble, lol. It's a topic I like to dive into, I suppose.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 06:37:39 am by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline RandomCosplay

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 07:36:13 am »
I don't really understand your question, so I will just assume you are asking who is punk or goth?

Fashion-wise, if I feel like dressing myself up for an occasion, it would be much more on the goth-side of fashion than anything else, but those times are few and far between lately (just because I never have the time or find much reason to get dressed up). When I do get gothed up, though, I love big boots, lots of bizarre, dangerous-looking jewelry, and various other accessories and fun stuff, lol.

Personality and character-wise, though, I'm just a bizarro, haha. I love the Gothic lifestyle (which despite suppositions people may hold, is not about depression and angst), I love weird fashion, the Renaissance and various aesthetic periods of European history. Also, a great deal of how I act and the things I enjoy in life can be seen as influenced by what I read. I love to read classical literature and poetry, in particular, and authors like Edgar Allan Poe, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, H.P. Lovecraft, Alfred, Lord Tennyson, Lord Byron, Shakespeare, these are all people whose writing has impacted my life, and shaped my character into what it is today, what could be aligned with that of the Gothic, modern-Victorian, and so on.

Anyway, sorry for the rant and ramble, lol. It's a topic I like to dive into, I suppose.

good thing I made this topic I agree with you like 100% and beside the poetry I am the same way

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 01:36:23 pm »

plaid skirts are hot, I know that wasn't needed but I can't help it.

Lol. I realized I have one in every color except yellow. Im going to be "that mom." ha ha ha

Its ok, I have a few years untill baby will be old enough to be scarred for life. :)

As for lifestyle choices I guess Im somewhat goth-ish. I love candles, flowy dresses, History in general, and beautiful old catherdrals. I also love to study relgion. And I also read classical literature like Edgar Allan Poe and Lovecraft various other early horror novels. Oh....and I own many many reptiles. lol.

And I will always love spikes. And Spiders. ha ha
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline RandomCosplay

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 01:49:41 pm »
hey everything one im going to clackamas town center mall

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 03:07:17 pm »
hey everything one im going to clackamas town center mall
Have fun!

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 04:20:37 pm »
Hm. Well, classifying myself [although I hate to], I dress very goth, or what some would consider emo in public. I wear a lot of dark, baggy clothes, usually a very large zip up with dark jeans. o.o [/shrug] Don't get it. However, in PRIVACY, I have always wanted to have that kind of 'punk/goth' look. However, I don't have the body for it. xD

Offline RandomCosplay

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 06:55:53 pm »
I honistly am done with forums I keep useing this to meet people I want to met you all in person

Offline Stevie

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 07:01:01 pm »
Neither, Emo and Scene, ftw.

I want fake extentions just for the heck of it- BUT NO. Mom won't lemme.

:(

My friends emo, so ftw.

Offline RandomCosplay

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 07:05:27 pm »

My friends emo, so ftw.

theres nothing wrong with being Emo it all matters on what you do when you are if your a cutter there somthing wrong if you have strong feelings n stuff people get mad and say your emo and Im like so if your heart was broken you wont be sad?

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 07:06:14 pm »
Neither.

I don't try to mold myself into one type of thing, because it never usually works out for me. Now, I don't care what I'm wearing or how I look as long as I like it...it's my lifestyle and beliefs that define who I am, and not the clothes I wear. So mold me in whatever you want to believe, but it's not gonna change who I am.

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 07:08:02 pm »
There's a difference between being sad and just plain being a downer.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline RandomCosplay

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 07:10:13 pm »
Neither.

I don't try to mold myself into one type of thing, because it never usually works out for me. Now, I don't care what I'm wearing or how I look as long as I like it...it's my lifestyle and beliefs that define who I am, and not the clothes I wear. So mold me in whatever you want to believe, but it's not gonna change who I am.

same here I define my self with what I like to ware to I say im a punk goth just to define my tast in cloths

I am who I am a rocker with the love for anime and games

my tast in cloth basicly I like it so I say I like gothic cloths does not mean IM A GOTH I just like it ^^ I all ways smile at people who stair lol

Offline RandomCosplay

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 07:11:20 pm »
There's a difference between being sad and just plain being a downer.

im sad but have a need to talk about it I learnd that it helps me heal faster

Offline Stevie

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 07:13:41 pm »

My friends emo, so ftw.

theres nothing wrong with being Emo it all matters on what you do when you are if your a cutter there somthing wrong if you have strong feelings n stuff people get mad and say your emo and Im like so if your heart was broken you wont be sad?

That's the term 'cutters' stupid. I hate it when people stereotype things.
Emo is a style, a genre of music. Nothing more, nothing less.

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 07:15:27 pm »
Neither.

same here I define my self with what I like to ware to I say im a punk goth just to define my tast in cloths

my tast in cloth basicly I like it so I say I like gothic cloths does not mean IM A GOTH I just like it ^^ I all ways smile at people who stair lol

I couldn't help but notice that you say you're agreeing with me, but yet you just gave yourself a label haha. What gives?

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline RandomCosplay

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2009, 07:19:47 pm »
Neither.

same here I define my self with what I like to ware to I say I'm a punk goth just to define my taste in cloths

I couldn't help but notice that you say you're agreeing with me, but yet you just gave yourself a label haha. What gives?

I give what I wear a label so if people ask what kind of cloths do you wear I say Gothic its my comfy fashion lol

Offline RandomCosplay

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2009, 07:21:27 pm »

My friends emo, so ftw.

dude whats with the name calling
there are some people who say there emo and cut I was not meaning to have it come out in a stereotype way
and im sorry

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 07:24:15 pm »
She wasn't attacking you, relax.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Stevie

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 07:28:09 pm »

My friends emo, so ftw.

there are some people who say there emo and cut I was not meaning to have it come out in a stereotype way
and im sorry

Then their not emo. And you are very stereotypical, dear.

Tell me: Do you think SHE cuts herself:

Offline RandomCosplay

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2009, 07:33:15 pm »

My friends emo, so ftw.

and im sorry

Then their not emo. And you are very stereotypical, dear.

Tell me: Do you think SHE cuts herself:

Im not the one to say becouse I dont know

like I said sorry did not mean for it to sound that way
I'm still learning my wording to not offend people I am not from here in Vegas we have a difrent Lingo (sorry I really am)

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2009, 08:20:26 pm »
My random selection of neo-Korean and Japanese clothing has a label too, apparently.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2009, 09:35:13 pm »
May I go on a bit of a tangent here?

Okay, let's address and analyze the term "Emo". Is this, or is it not, a totally meaningless label and form of categorization? For someone to say "well, I'm not this or that, but I am emo"...that doesn't make any sense. I'm a human, I have emotions, I am thus emotional. Everyone on the planet has emotions. To declare yourself as one who prides him or herself by the presence of emotions when all have the exact same trait...it's just egotistical and rather silly. Find a new way to classify yourself, because there are all these people who call themselves "Emo", and it is a faulty definition. Be a thinker, be a writer, be an  enjoyer of the arts, whatever you are. But, come on, don't be defined by your capacity for emotion. That's like a fish calling itself "scaly", you follow?

It's a useless term.

And if you seriously justify calling yourself "emo" because you somehow feel that your emotions are more important, or you are more prone to crying than others...that isn't being emo, that's being human. Everyone has problems. Don't think you're the first to discover the negative effects of disappointment.

(And this wasn't addressed at anyone, it wasn't an attack, just a plea for a higher degree of conscientiousness in regard to individual thought and categorization.)

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline RandomCosplay

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2009, 09:38:56 pm »

Okay, let's address and analyze the term "Emo". Is this, or is it not, a totally meaningless label and form of categorization? For someone to say "well, I'm not this or that, but I am emo"...that doesn't make any sense. I'm a human, I have emotions, I am thus emotional. Everyone on the planet has emotions. To declare yourself as one who prides him or herself by the presence of emotions when all have the exact same trait...it's just egotistical and rather silly. Find a new way to classify yourself, because there are all these people who call themselves "Emo", and it is a faulty definition. Be a thinker, be a writer, be an  enjoyer of the arts, whatever you are. But, come on, don't be defined by your capacity for emotion. That's like a fish calling itself "scaly", you follow?

It's a useless term.

And if you seriously justify calling yourself "emo" because you somehow feel that your emotions are more important, or you are more prone to crying than others...that isn't being emo, that's being human. Everyone has problems. Don't think you're the first to discover the negative effects of disappointment.

(And this wasn't addressed at anyone, it wasn't an attack, just a plea for a higher degree of conscientiousness in regard to individual thought and categorization.)

and that is what I was trying to say all along
but like I said befor I am still learning on how to word things

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2009, 09:41:08 pm »
This thread is in danger of being locked.

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2009, 09:52:19 pm »
I can remember this really ignorant kid in my Japanese class.
He kept asking me if I was punk.
"Are you a punk? She's probably a punk kid."
9__9
I wasn't even wearing "punk" clothes lol. I don't like those socially constructed labels T,T

"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline RandomCosplay

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2009, 10:02:07 pm »
9__9
I wasn't even wearing "punk" clothes lol. I don't like those socially constructed labels T,T

once labels are no more the would will be a better place

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2009, 10:04:57 pm »
9__9

once labels are no more the would will be a confusing place

Fix'd.

Labels include names. Names of people, names of streets, names of towns. Names of clothes, all proper nouns. How do we label something a "tomato"? How do we label something a "truck"? How do we label someone male, female, anything in between?

By applying and using them.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2009, 10:10:20 pm »
I'm sure he means labels that apply to character pigeonholing and stereotyping. And I agree that labels can lead to misinterpretations, presuppositions and just be problematic, but without them, like Tanis said, there would be problems as well. The way to resolve the issue lies in how people handle labels. If people can act responsibly and understand that a name or a label is not all to a person, that would remedy a great deal of the situation right there.

But that may be a long time coming. Oh well. Nothing terribly destructive.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2009, 10:16:23 pm »
Back when I was in high school and senior class president, for Spirit Week, I had us do Punk ROck/New Wave day, instead of 50s day. I thought it was time to move on. I was dressed more in New Wave attire. lol Most people looked like clowns, because we were a mill town, and had serious blue collar roots. Fact, I still dress more or less as in high school, jeans and a t-shirt. I do wear suit and tie if the occasion calls for such.

I don't know if ever I will work in an environment where suit and tie is normal dress. Be nice, if I don't hjave to take a pay cut to do so.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2009, 10:18:57 pm »
:/ Hm. Well, labels are always going to exist. Whether we want them to or not. We have to deal with it, though. It's a part of life.

Offline RandomCosplay

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2009, 10:19:55 pm »
Back when I was in high school and senior class president, for Spirit Week, I had us do Punk ROck/New Wave day, instead of 50s day. I thought it was time to move on. I was dressed more in New Wave attire. lol Most people looked like clowns, because we were a mill town, and had serious blue collar roots. Fact, I still dress more or less as in high school, jeans and a t-shirt. I do wear suit and tie if the occasion calls for such.

I don't know if ever I will work in an environment where suit and tie is normal dress. Be nice, if I don't hjave to take a pay cut to do so.

lol I was wearing a blue shirt and kakis today I was like ..... >< im way out of my norm I feel naked T_T lol

Offline Prince Nori

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2009, 06:48:49 pm »
I could never fit myself under a label, I go through phases quick lol
Music wise, I love punk, ska, goth rock, death rock, new wave, rockabilly, psychobilly, other stuffs
Fashion wise...I dunno. I love diy punk and I love gothic lolita. Most of the time I wear a lot of black and greys lol. I think black looks good on me. :D Usually I'm in a t-shirt and jeans. Skinny jeans cuz they make my legs look longer lol

No one's ever called me goth or punk because most people don't know what to label me under haha, I mostly just get labeled as "rebel". haha
One guy I met said he thought I might be a skanker and I guess I could fit in that category. I love ska music, I feel like it's all about havin a good time :]

and just a random fact, I have a greaser fetish. XD

Offline BangBangNeko

• Chibi
    • BangBangNeko Cosplay
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2009, 08:56:00 pm »
I'm a old man ( around when punk started )  Went from church dork to stoner, punk to disco ( Chicks like to dance )
Went to Rocky Horror over 30 years ago and now corrupt my girls every Halloween.
 Likes all styles, older daughter showed me psychobilly, rockabilly (Nekromantix, Meteors, Social Distortion )
Younger daughter turn me on to anime. ( Cowboy bepop best of all time )
Nephews showed me the comic side (Batman, Spiderman, Marvel, DC )
I showed them all the comic side (Benny Hill, SNL, Monty Pthyon, Kids In the Hall, SCTV, Pryor (RIP), Carlin( RIP )
I'm a mood ring, changes all the time, Cure sometimes Patsy Cline others
6000 songs on Ipod from Dido to X-ray spex, Ramones to Chris Isaak, Led Zeppelin to Yoko Kanno, Trance Music to Enya
And everyone of you will change also :
Embrace what you like now, Look forward to what you become next, Reflect fondly on what you where.
Life goes bye fast

Offline uraharafreak

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2009, 09:02:11 pm »
I swing toward the "goth" side if I want to dress up. I would LOVE to call myself Steampunk, but don't have the wardrobe or the life style just yet. My friends just plain and simple call me Japanime.

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2009, 07:49:37 pm »
LOL I have no clue what Steampunk is....
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2009, 08:03:03 pm »
It's the world and fashion therein of what could be called the alternate reality of the Victorian era and Industrial Revolution. Steampunk involves said era but with very very advanced technology, all originated in steam-power instead of electricity. This fashion tends to involve goggles, gloves, lots of gold and brass instruments and accessories, very industrial revolution-esque, but with more fantasy.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2009, 08:19:54 pm »
I adore steampunk when done right. It's so pretty~!  :)
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Stevie

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2009, 08:24:23 pm »
Scene & Emo are cool... if their done right. Like 'Scene' has HUUUUGE hair- which is annoying- but looks cool.

Yes?

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2009, 08:25:38 pm »
Wow, I had no clue that was an actual style. Interesting
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2009, 08:36:05 pm »
Scene & Emo are cool... if their done right. Like 'Scene' has HUUUUGE hair- which is annoying- but looks cool.

Yes?

I have to disagree, but that's just me. Besides the problems I have with the mere name "emo", I really have never been able to stand either fashion trend's tendencies.

*shrug*

I just really can't stand them. And the fact that so many people lump that whole lot in with the Gothic subculture is just as terrible in my opinion.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Stevie

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2009, 08:53:06 pm »
Emo isn't cutting yourself.

Emo is a style, and a genre of music.

Standing for Emotional Hardcore. Sort of like not-human emotional.

XD

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2009, 08:56:59 pm »
I never said it was cutting yourself. Let me refer to my earlier post to clarify why "Emo" is an insufficient subgroup, subculture, label, and way of thinking.

It's a useless term.

So, with that in mind, I'll say again, despite all of this, I don't like the style either. The fashion of it is not much to me, nor is the genre of music. It's just not for me.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Prince Nori

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2009, 11:47:49 pm »
haha, I cannot tolerate most emo and scene kids.