Author Topic: 2008 Nominations for Board-appointed Directors  (Read 27857 times)

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
2008 Nominations for Board-appointed Directors
« on: September 20, 2007, 09:39:49 am »
The positions that will be appointed by the incoming board of directors, which is the directors elected by the membership at elections and the founders.

The nominees for each are still being compiled, but from one person's notes the nominees are:

Secretary
Ryan Stasel - accept
Tom Munkres - defer
David McCarley - accept
Sarah Bartash - accept
Morgan Holland - accept

Treasurer
Tara Fuller - accept
Eric Teitzel - (not present)
Ryan - (unknown)
Brownie - (unknown)
Tom - defer

Facilities
Rian Mueller - accept decline accept
David McCarley - accept
Steve Lewno - decline
Duncan Barth - defer

Corrections to this list may be made by nominating a person in this topic.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 09:57:12 pm by staze »
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Re: 2008 Nominations for Board-appointed Directors
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 01:31:15 pm »
I would like to specify that I defer on both the Secretary and the Treasurer nomination at this time.

though I would love to answer any question the board may have.  ;)
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 09:19:26 am »
I am also declining Facilities.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 09:24:21 am »
hrmm, david is gonna get stretched all over the place LOL. OPS, facalities, secretary.
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 09:31:26 am »
David is probably declining everything as well. I just haven't heard it from him myself to be able to record it, and he hasn't bothered to log in to tell us one way or the other himself.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 09:38:19 am »
hrmm, david is gonna get stretched all over the place LOL. OPS, facalities, secretary.

Gus says he is likely to decline..... however this brings to mind the bylaws and past problems with people holding multiple positions.

Is there an amendment being added to the next draft that prevents people holding additional positions on the board (other than Founder as a second position)? I am all for people helping the convention in as many positions as possible but I believe the scope of the board positions (both "assigned" and "elected") to require the undivided attention of the person holding that position.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 07:18:34 am »
I've just noticed that there are no nominees questions here since we don't technically know what electoral body would actually be voting for these positions. So since it will be the founders and a group of the nominees for the director positions... do any of these people have questions for future secretaries, treasurers, or liaison's?

I probably wouldn't bother except I'm the one who's been pushing for answers from everyone else and I wanted to make sure the door swung both ways.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline HellSap

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 06:59:11 pm »
Since there has been quite a sudden change in leadership, I thought I'd cast a vote in for secretary.
I believe Morgan has been gaming grunt / staff for as long as I, and basically this year anything to do with secretarial duties for gaming operations were done promptly and pretty much everything submitted was sketched up by her.  She was pretty invaluable this year for getting through all that sort of stuff, and she works as a secretary anyways.  lol.
Just my thoughts...
Always and forever... Conspiring with the devil, Conquering together.
D/L Star Control 2 - Ur-Quan Masters here http://sourceforge.net/projects/sc2/ !
PSU Video Game Club - http://randomselect.groups.pdx.edu/

Offline gemineye42

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 11:09:16 am »
I accept.

:D
I can has cheezburger?

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 01:29:52 pm »
what is being referred to as a quite sudden change in leadership??

also are there any positions that have term limits, or is it conceivable that someone could hold a position  in perpetuity?

also i love sarah tons, but is she thinking of being secretary until she moves? commuting once a month for meetings thereafter? or does her acceptance need to be changed in light of her moving? (or maybe that's a different sarah than antares?)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 01:31:53 pm by RemSaverem »
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline gemineye42

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 01:31:06 pm »
I think he means Meg stepping down for next year, and the plethora of directorship nominees.
I can has cheezburger?

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 01:33:23 pm »
I think he means Meg stepping down for next year, and the plethora of directorship nominees.

ok woah nellie i had no idea.....haven't logged in in a week or so......sheesh yowza yikes was not expecting that *sends loves to meg* we love you!!!! more power to you for taking care of yourself in whatever way you see fit but you're awesome!!! (kind sweet way beyond competent and impeccably dressed ;) )
love rem
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2007, 01:23:44 am »
also i love sarah tons, but is she thinking of being secretary until she moves? commuting once a month for meetings thereafter? or does her acceptance need to be changed in light of her moving? (or maybe that's a different sarah than antares?)

Sarah is great but yeah comuting is out of the question for her but she said she'd be back for my wedding
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 10:22:34 am by TomtheFanboy »
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 12:36:15 pm »

Sarah is great but yeah comuting is out of the question for her but she said she'd be back for my wedding

That's logical.
And congratulations.
And looks like David accepted after all :)

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 10:32:07 pm »
And looks like David accepted after all :)

I can't speak for David, but I don't think anything has actually changed since Rian said that David would probably decline. I am not certain, but I believe David was listed as "accept", not "defer", already at that time.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2007, 08:08:28 am »

Gus says he is likely to decline..... however this brings to mind the bylaws and past problems with people holding multiple positions.

Is there an amendment being added to the next draft that prevents people holding additional positions on the board (other than Founder as a second position)? I am all for people helping the convention in as many positions as possible but I believe the scope of the board positions (both "assigned" and "elected") to require the undivided attention of the person holding that position.

The current draft does prevent anyone from holding more than one director (ie board-level) position at a time. If they run for a second position they must resign their first one.

I've just noticed that there are no nominees questions here since we don't technically know what electoral body would actually be voting for these positions. So since it will be the founders and a group of the nominees for the director positions... do any of these people have questions for future secretaries, treasurers, or liaison's?

I probably wouldn't bother except I'm the one who's been pushing for answers from everyone else and I wanted to make sure the door swung both ways.

As I said above, the electing body for these positions is the incoming board of directors, who are the founders plus the directors who get elected by the staff.

Nobody gets elected into a permanent position except founders who, rather than being elected, would have to be added in by amendment to the bylaws.

I thought she would say so herself by now but Sarah has said if elected she would have Meg as her assistant and would recommend Meg to replace her when she moved.

David hasn't contacted Jeff or Ryan or me, and he hasn't logged in to say anything himself, so his status remains unchanged from rant and rave.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 08:10:21 am by guspasho »
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2007, 02:04:14 pm »
Thank you for the information. You are very detail oriented and thorough and very much appreciated.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2007, 09:32:41 am »
As I said above, the electing body for these positions is the incoming board of directors, who are the founders plus the directors who get elected by the staff.

Well......yeah.....and we won't know who they'll be. HOWEVER, some of them will be the nominees posting on the rest of this forum. SOME of them will be the founders who will always have those positions. Some of them might have had a question that they couldn't answer over drinks in the Space Needle lounge. :(
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2007, 02:47:09 pm »

Well......yeah.....and we won't know who they'll be. HOWEVER, some of them will be the nominees posting on the rest of this forum. SOME of them will be the founders who will always have those positions. Some of them might have had a question that they couldn't answer over drinks in the Space Needle lounge. :(

Then feel free to ask :P The questions were your idea, I believe, and the questions that ended up here originated with what you submitted. We just never got any from you for those positions.

And what are you insinuating with your last point? I don't rather appreciate the suggestion.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 02:51:57 pm by guspasho »
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
    • http://bellethecat.com
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2007, 05:15:49 pm »
I thought she would say so herself by now but Sarah has said if elected she would have Meg as her assistant and would recommend Meg to replace her when she moved.

If I am elected, yes - Meg has expressed interest in assistantship and if and when my move happens, I would recommend her as my replacement.

I can explain more at the meeting  :)

« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 05:24:49 pm by Antares »

My Photos KCON08: http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/wanderergone/Kcon08/

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2007, 12:39:20 am »

If I am elected, yes - Meg has expressed interest in assistantship and if and when my move happens, I would recommend her as my replacement.

That's great sweetie. Does that mean you're also still running for Relations? *hopes*

I can explain more at the meeting  :)

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://www.staze.org/
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2007, 12:26:30 pm »

I'm afraid I take issue with this statement.
-Staze
Founding Member, Altonimbus Entertainment
"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?"

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 09:49:01 am »
I am re-accepting the nomination for Facilities Liaison.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2007, 10:34:02 am »
Cool, I'm glad you're up for that position gus.

Now everybody settle down about my comment. the sad face was because I was disappointed that nobody was quizzing the nominees. I don't disapprove of you guys meeting and talking over drinks. I also wasn't implying anything regarding the alcohol intake of board members, it was just a reference to a place where adults would gather to hang out. It wasn't supposed to be anything sleazy.

If you had a problem with the Space Needle thing, well, I had the impression more people had moved up to the Seattle area. Now that I've reviewed the evidence I take it back. I chose that specifically because I liked the imagery of board members chatting with a potential Secretary high above the city. I thought it was kind of classy.

The general intent of the comment was to imply that the board members and potential board members ( the directors and chair we just elected) might not know the nominees or see them on a regular basis. Since they might not be able to arrange a meeting in person (over coffee, pizza, or drinks) they could use this forum as a place to get answers.

Was there a different issue you were referring to?

Oh, and as for why I don't have any questions for these nominees, I'm not voting for any of them so I hadn't given it much thought. I'll try and brainstorm a couple and get back to you though. I'm sure I can think of some for the Treasurers and Facilities Liaisons since I dealt with both this last year.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline rictheron

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.geocities.com/dark_star0
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2007, 11:05:27 am »
To Secretary
   1) What experience do you have in business style organization of records
   2) What do you feel is your biggest desire for policy renovation or update during the 2008 year?
   3) As you will be in charge of Organizational correspondence, how well do you see yourself as being both the professional and social face of the board towards the rest of the Organization?
   4) What plans do you have towards creating private and public records of staff?

To Treasurer
   1) What experince do you have in dealing with financial statements and large sum deposits/withdrawls/records?
   2) What means do you expect to use to ensure that all members have paid their dues?
   3) Do you have any plans for facilitating money withdrawls for expenses, both preplanned and immediate?

To Facilities
   1) What system do you plan to implement for Hotel/Altonimbus communications?
   2) What are you plans so far as the space that we shall be renting?
   3) What sort of services and arrangements do you plan to make with the hotel?
   4) Do you have any hopes for the 2009 Hotel? (specifics not necessary)
Jess Shelton
2008 Operations Director
2007 Assist. Operations Manager/Yojimbo Manager
2006 Assist. Yojimbo Manager
2005 Yojimbo Manager
2003-2004 Security
Credentials: senior Physics Major at PSU,Edu minor, Store Manager, Instructor, Security

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2007, 11:10:53 am »
So what were the results for the election?  I had to go and wasn't a voting person but that's not to say I wasn't interested.

oh wait is it on the other thread oops
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline Mr_Phelps

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2007, 11:18:14 am »
Yes, there are actually new board members watching this thread.   :P

I felt that my focus over the last couple of weeks has been on my part of the election and that I have not fully reviewed the candidates for each position.  Now that the main elections are finished we can turn to these.  I will be working closely with the rest of the elected board, with input from the founders, on getting these positions filled as soon as possible. 

Tom, your questions are always insightful and welcomed.  We need your fire to keep our toes warmed, but hopefully not too well roasted.  ;D
Avatar is "Othar Tryggvassen" from GirlGeniusOnline.net

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2007, 11:22:50 am »
Now everybody settle down about my comment. the sad face was because I was disappointed that nobody was quizzing the nominees. I don't disapprove of you guys meeting and talking over drinks. I also wasn't implying anything regarding the alcohol intake of board members, it was just a reference to a place where adults would gather to hang out. It wasn't supposed to be anything sleazy.

If you had a problem with the Space Needle thing, well, I had the impression more people had moved up to the Seattle area. Now that I've reviewed the evidence I take it back. I chose that specifically because I liked the imagery of board members chatting with a potential Secretary high above the city. I thought it was kind of classy.

The general intent of the comment was to imply that the board members and potential board members ( the directors and chair we just elected) might not know the nominees or see them on a regular basis. Since they might not be able to arrange a meeting in person (over coffee, pizza, or drinks) they could use this forum as a place to get answers.

Well, I guess apology accepted.

But, I do want to stress that this isn't some big insiders thing. The President has decided to hold off on election of the VP, Secretary, and Treasurer until the next meeting, so that the board can get to know the people. Ultimately, Jeff and John are the Seattle boys. Mike, and Jaki are "Portland Metro", and Jess is Salem. Aside from the founders, and of those, the two that are currently active board members, this might be the first year we don't have anyone in Eugene holding a Managing Director position. wow.

Don't get me wrong... there will probably be some bar chattery... and alcohol will be consumed at some point, no doubt. My only issue with the statement was that there was some secret cabal or skull and bones type thing going on. While we love to talk about how that used to be the case, it was never really the case... it's more of a joke than anything.

So yeah, thanks for explaining... it's not so offensive now. =P *gets back to work*
-Staze
"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?"

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2007, 11:32:16 am »
To Secretary
   1) What experience do you have in business style organization of records
   2) What do you feel is your biggest desire for policy renovation or update during the 2008 year?
   3) As you will be in charge of Organizational correspondence, how well do you see yourself as being both the professional and social face of the board towards the rest of the Organization?
   4) What plans do you have towards creating private and public records of staff?

To Treasurer
   1) What experince do you have in dealing with financial statements and large sum deposits/withdrawls/records?
   2) What means do you expect to use to ensure that all members have paid their dues?
   3) Do you have any plans for facilitating money withdrawls for expenses, both preplanned and immediate?

To Facilities
   1) What system do you plan to implement for Hotel/Altonimbus communications?
   2) What are you plans so far as the space that we shall be renting?
   3) What sort of services and arrangements do you plan to make with the hotel?
   4) Do you have any hopes for the 2009 Hotel? (specifics not necessary)

Can anyone think of a good way to have this discussion within the board, yet in the process not eliminate those not currently not serving on the board from the discussion (e.g. how can the board have this discussion while still keeping Eric, Morgan, Sarah, etc in the loop since they are running for said positions)?

This is mainly so we can keep the discussion going and on topic, and also so some of us might be able to discuss specifics without opening them up to the public (actual amount of cash in the account at the moment, staff record retention policies, hotel negotiation, etc). Unfortunately, it does place those currently holding offices at a disadvantage if they cannot discuss these things as qualifications, while incoming blood can discuss just about anything because they don't have that specific knowledge to begin with. Does that make sense? If that's just the reality, then cool. More specific stuff can be discussed at a later date at the actual board meeting.

Thanks!

-Staze

Offline rictheron

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.geocities.com/dark_star0
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2007, 11:40:28 am »
  Well I was just composing a mailing list of the 2007 and 2008 board members.  Could we add all of them to a email router along with the candidate emails?  Answers and discussion could then be emailed directly to the router, all board and nominees would get the info, discussion could be held in the email then final answers (with things like policy or hotel info blanked) can be posted back in the forums so that we can maintain an open view of the board only elections.
Jess Shelton
2008 Operations Director
2007 Assist. Operations Manager/Yojimbo Manager
2006 Assist. Yojimbo Manager
2005 Yojimbo Manager
2003-2004 Security
Credentials: senior Physics Major at PSU,Edu minor, Store Manager, Instructor, Security

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2007, 11:52:15 am »
I actually have two questions.  What are the responsibilities and qualifications that are desirable for each position?  (Aside from attending the meetings.)  If there is a position for the elected board members that remains which I feel does not have sufficient competition between worthy candidates, is it too late for me or others to nominate others for those positions? (Probably asked/answered elsewhere, sorry.)
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2007, 11:53:05 am »
  Well I was just composing a mailing list of the 2007 and 2008 board members.  Could we add all of them to a email router along with the candidate emails?  Answers and discussion could then be emailed directly to the router, all board and nominees would get the info, discussion could be held in the email then final answers (with things like policy or hotel info blanked) can be posted back in the forums so that we can maintain an open view of the board only elections.

Not bad. I guess we could also just create a new area of the forums locked down to those same people... guess it just depends on what people would prefer.
-Staze

Offline kalira

• Chibi
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2007, 11:56:56 am »
As of now I am still in the running for board apointed positions and I have not declined.  I have been away from the forums since the convention but this has been to evaluate my standing within this convention and what and how best I can help this convention move forward.  More to follow later, I just wanted people to know that I am still alive. 

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2007, 11:59:27 am »
I actually have two questions.  What are the responsibilities and qualifications that are desirable for each position?  (Aside from attending the meetings.)  If there is a position for the elected board members that remains which I feel does not have sufficient competition between worthy candidates, is it too late for me or others to nominate others for those positions? (Probably asked/answered elsewhere, sorry.)

Check out the bylaws for the answer to the first question (and Jess's questions are pretty inline with actual responsibilities). And it's up to Mike to close nominations for board elected/appointed positions.

Ultimately, the jobs are fairly different than those elected by the membership. They're more handling stuff that everyone else just takes for granted (paperwork with the state, staff record tracking, taxes, accounting, general budgets, equipment purchasing and tracking, hotel room block expansion, getting the hotel build outs for stage, power, seating, etc). And ultimately, they answer mainly to the board, and don't really manage anyone beneath them directly. A good/bad way to put it is (at least in the case of the treasurer): a bad programming or ops director ruins a years con. A bad treasurer kills the con completely.

So yeah... if you want more info, certainly ask...
-Staze

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2007, 12:00:26 pm »
...I am still alive. 

Riiiiiiight....
-Staze

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2007, 12:04:28 pm »
When I spoke with David at the meeting he told me that he was declining all the nominations. Did that apply to these as well?
(edit: in the 10 posts that were made while I typed this, this question was answered. ^_^ )

In case you're unfamiliar with the nominees, here's what the forums can tell you.

Secretary
Ryan Stasel - accept (recent posts)
Tom Munkres - defer (recent posts)
David McCarley - accept (recent posts)
Sarah Bartash - accept (recent posts)
Morgan Holland - accept (recent posts)

Treasurer
Tara Stasel - accept (recent posts)
Eric Teitzel - (not present) (recent posts)
Ryan Stasel - (unknown) (recent posts)
Brownie - (unknown) (recent posts)
Tom - defer (recent posts)

Facilities
Rian Mueller - accept decline accept (recent posts)
David McCarley - accept (recent posts)
Steve Lewno - decline (I couldn't find contact information, but then again, he declined)
Duncan Barth - defer (recent posts)

Just to deflect what happened last time, this is to show you things the person has said and how recently they said it. the links for each person's name will also give you details on contact information (like those little icons next to their username when they post).

Re: the previous posts- Glad it's all cleared up now. I expected the board members to be discussing this amongst themselves on private forum or email list. It's their job after all. Most of the stuff mentioned before the election is moot now that the board* has been formed.

So how about some questions?

Treasurers:
When would you like the first draft of the department budgets?
How many stages (drafts and revision periods) do you think you'll schedule before the convention? As in, "first second, final, and post-con".
Will you make any designations/requests for expenditures made quarterly? Such as parts of the budget that should be spent 6 months before the con, amounts to be spent 3 months before the con, at the con, after the con, etc.

Secretary:
How fast can you type? As in, how fast can you record the information at meetings without asking for a pause in discussion?
Do you plan on talking with Publicity about distributing your information through the newsletter?
Have you ever been in charge of a mailing list? If so, how many people were on it?

Facilities Liaison:
Miles from the hotel can be deceptive, how easy is it for you to go to the hotel and speak with them in person?
Do you have a reservation at the hotel yet?
What experience do you have with contract negotiation and "legalese"?
What are some things you'd like from the hotel that we might not have had before?
Do you have any ideas for making parking easier?
(I have more, but I think they should be sent once you're elected.  ;) )

*board referring to the newly elected directors and the incumbent AN personnel.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2007, 12:06:06 pm »
Here's my two cents on the discussion... if this isn't something that can be moved to the staff forum and handled there, I would prefer forum access to a mailing list.  Discussion is just easier to track in forum threads, imo.  :)
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2007, 12:14:26 pm »
Here's my two cents on the discussion... if this isn't something that can be moved to the staff forum and handled there, I would prefer forum access to a mailing list.  Discussion is just easier to track in forum threads, imo.  :)

Good to know. Oh, and update your signature. =P
-Staze

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2007, 12:17:41 pm »

Do you have a reservation at the hotel yet?

BTW, this is probably moot. They would have a room provided to them by the con, so as to be on site during the con. But, I guess it shows interest. =P

Thanks Tom.
-Staze

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2007, 12:42:36 pm »
Cool, I'm glad you're up for that position gus.

Was there a different issue you were referring to?

I appreciate your response. I didn't appreciate the original comment because it appeared to be based in an unfriendly and unfair mischaractarization. You seemed to be suggesting that the board is some kind of elite ivory (steel?) tower, and that by extension I myself must be an elitist. This strikes me as a surreptitious personal insult.

Altonimbus and Kumoricon is a volunteer organization. As you may know we do not have a workplace, we don't get paid for what we do, this isn't our day job. We do this for fun, and we make friends of the people we work with as we go. So yeah, as a board member I work with other board members in social situations, including in my own home or at a restaurant or a bar, and to the same extent that I do with non-board staffers and volunteers, and even rogue agents such as yourself, Tom. Sometimes, when we get a lot of work done, or (to address an unrelated point) when we want to reward volunteers for putting in long hours of hard work, we can justify putting the meal on the con tab, but we don't abuse the privilege for simply going out and socializing.

I've tried to include you specifically on at least a few occasions where I saw you were willing to contribute and where I thought you might excel as a staffer, but every time I see you say something unfair such as the original comment I regret ever having attempted to include you. Why should I, when you seem to turn around with some accusation or another that I'm elitist, unconcerned with the staff or volunteers or attendees, that I'm using the con for personal benefit, or that I have anything less than the best interests of the convention in mind?

I've interacted a lot with everybody in this organization, from the founders right down to the attendees, and absorb and process their concerns. After two years of working with Meg, we have pushed hard to open doors to the staff on the decision-making process, and we finally made sure the staff would have a say in any attempt to dissolve the con, which was the fear that initially motivated Meg to run for chair.

I've also done a lot of work for Kumoricon, and I've learned that every decision can't be made via a forum discussion. I have to do a lot of my work on my own, and a lot of the things I do aren't of any interest and aren't the concern of the people on the forums. Are you really interested in me posting the hotel contract on the forum, or all my conversations with the hotel's staff? How would that help me as Facilities Liaison? How could you or any of the forumites help me in my job that way? My experience has taught me that involving people who don't need to be there ends ups slowing the process to a grinding halt. Things get done when it's done by a small group of related individuals. And yeah, since I've been a board member, oftentimes that involves just other board members, but oftentimes enough that's involved staffers and you yourself, Tom.

We are extremely responsive to the concerns brought to us by anyone. Sometimes those concerns are withheld from us (*ahem* No confidence?), and sometimes we may outright disagree with those concerns, and sometimes we simply do not have the capability to respond to concerns (ie nearly every time someone suggests that we include programming that they do not want to run themselves.) Those are the breaks. But whenever we can, haven't we been responsive? If we aren't, please say so. Otherwise, aren't you being unfair?

Please, tell us what you really think, so we can respond to it and improve. But stop making surreptitious accusations, stop making innuendo, and stop creating conflict with this crap. It serves no useful purpose except making me (and a good deal of others) pissed off with you. And if you actually enjoy manipulation, generating conflict and drama among others, and spreading conspiracy theories when a plain answer has always been a simple question away, if you enjoy all that more than you enjoy making Kumoricon a better convention, then I would ask you to evaluate whether your participation is overall more worthwhile to the convention or damaging to it, and I would ask you to stop participating altogether.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2007, 12:46:31 pm »
*announcer voice*

And now back to our regularly scheduled program, already in progress... =P

-Staze

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2007, 01:03:03 pm »
gus, wow. The perceived hostility you see in me is mostly me playing the jester (or fool if you prefer). I just give people a hard time on the forums when I think they take something too seriously. I refuse to take the blame for a misunderstood comment if I have actually gone to the length of explaining my intention. tone of voice is hard to gauge on the internet, I know and you should see some of the things I haven't posted because they're far too inflammatory. I just ask that everyone roll with the punches and remember that as much as us forum people value this place, it is still the internet. You gotta read the web with a grain of salt.

Also, I really like how thorough and honest you are in these sorts of discussions. You're here, conversing, pointing out flaws in my arguments. proving me wrong and showing the logic of the situation. That's GREAT. When I poke someone with a joke, a response showing why I'm wrong shows EVERYONE how you're right. That's a good thing.

*announcer voice*

And now back to our regularly scheduled program, already in progress... =P

Yeah, what he said!  :D

I knew that the Directors all got free rooms but I guess I'd forgotten about the rest of the board. I am kind of curious if anybody made a reservation before the elections (when their position wasn't guaranteeing them a room you see).

I'm with Jaki in making it a staff forum discussion (or, like I said, a Board forum discussion), I'd say leave most of this thread here (if a split post is done) just in case the attendees/volunteers have questions or curiosities. After all, even if they're not voting, panelists still submit budgets and everybody needs a hotel room. ;)
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2007, 01:24:08 pm »
I'm going to evade Ryan a little longer and thank Tom for replying again and actually appreciating my last post rather than anything else. Jesters and fools play on double meanings all the time; that's what they're famous for. Tom, my only real request is that you do actually say what you think rather than the innuendo like what started this. Kthx. I've said all I can and now I am fulfilled. :)

Getting back on topic...

Directors get free hotel rooms because the con can afford them and the directors really, really (really!) need to be on-site during the con (as opposed to the only three reallys without an exclamation mark that the managers get.) We're all cognizant of the cost that our staffers pay to be staff. I see us being able to afford to pay for more staff hotel rooms as we grow, but until then the best we can do is a staff rate block, which I promise to administer in a much more effective manner than Sean did!

My answers for the questions might have to wait until this afternoon (what, it's already 1 PM? Holy crap!) or tomorrow, but I'll respond.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2007, 01:55:53 pm »
In tom's defense I just want to say of all the staff members he's been the most friendly / outgoing / approachable one I've met. 
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2007, 02:02:38 pm »
In tom's defense I just want to say of all the staff members he's been the most friendly / outgoing / approachable one I've met. 

:-[ Shush Paulos, I'm not signed up for 2008 staff yet. ;)
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2007, 03:52:35 pm »
yet!?!

the first shoe has dropped.

And yeah, let's investigate moving this elsewhere. Rian, Jeff, want to make a forum area that's available to the 2007 board, and 2008 board, as well as Morgan, Eric, Sarah and all the others in consideration? I'm all for splitting it, and leaving what's here, here.

-Staze

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2007, 04:43:04 pm »
Ideally, to emulate the private interview format, it should be a board the Board should be able to see everything but the candidates should be unable to see the Board discussion. Should the candidates be unable to see each others' responses to questions? Otherwise I could create a subforum for them.

As a candidate I don't mind public discussion, I plan to ask the public to help me in some aspects of Facilities Liaison, and Tom's maps will continue to be helpful...

Would the board potentially have any questions they would prefer were asked privately?
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2007, 10:52:31 am »
Would the board potentially have any questions they would prefer were asked privately?

No clue. As I probably won't be asking myself any questions, being both a founder, and a candidate. =P

Though, I will have questions for FL and Treasurer. Which raises the question of order of elections. (thanks Jeff. =P)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 10:55:43 am by staze »
-Staze

Offline Mr_Phelps

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2007, 07:55:55 pm »
Thanks to all the nominees for thier open responses and candor on the forums.  It was a great help in choosing the new members.

As Convention Chair I would like to announce the new members to the board:

Vice-chair:   Dawn Hewitt

Treasurer:    Eric Teitzel

Secretary:    Ryan Stasel

Facilities:      Rian Mueller

For those that ran but were not elected, we are still going to need your input and participation as staff going into the new planning year.  One of MY mantras for the next year will be making sure that all positions are training up assistants and spreading the knowledge of how Kumoricon is run year to year to the new members.  We are growing and becoming better each year because of your efforts and ideas!

The front page of the website will show these results in a day or two.   ;D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 08:10:47 pm by Mr_Phelps »
Avatar is "Othar Tryggvassen" from GirlGeniusOnline.net

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2007, 09:16:10 am »
Wow, thanks for the quick response!

Congratulations to all of the election winners.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!