Author Topic: How soon do you start?  (Read 7063 times)

Offline Darkerlight

• Chibi
How soon do you start?
« on: September 06, 2007, 01:53:23 am »
How soon do you start making cosplay outfits before con? Do you use the whole year, a few months, or are you a night before the con seamster or seamstress?
Click me! Help me hatch!

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
Re: How soon do you start?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 07:51:53 am »
this year i was night before im using whole year now thoguh
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline Mei Long

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 11:47:11 am »
Hm, I plan the cosplay and get materials aaaall year through... and then I sew 5 days before the con in a frenzied panic of "WHYDIDN'TIDOTHISSOONER??". XD; Every year I say I'll start sewing earlier... and then I don't. I'm pretty predictable. e.e;;;;
Montez Bailey, 1988 - 2009, we miss you, rest in peace.

!~~~No Kumoricon for me. See ya'll at Akicon 2011~~~!

Akicon 2011 Costumes: Genderbent Kim Pine, Marshall Lee

2012: YoYo, Czeslaw, ???

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 11:48:48 am »
I tend to use the entire year to plan, prepare, gather materials, and create. I procrastinate with a lot of things, but cosplaying has never been one of them, oddly enough. This year I got my costuem done weeks in advance, then I found myself begging other people to give me things to work on, lol.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 12:00:15 pm »
i have a costume that is going to be a bit hard that i promised to make my younger brother and i got an idea for a super secret cosplay that will be short of a miracul to get done pluse what what ever kendo boyfriend and i deside to do for our cosplay mini wedding at next con
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Airika

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 12:07:14 pm »
I use the whole year, working part by part and then end up still being up at the night before the con doing last minute touch-ups ^^;
Sakura-con 05-07. Anime Expo 07. Anime Evolution 07. Penny Arcade Expo 07. What's next!?

Myspace YAY: www.myspace.com/ringytheperv

Offline Rikki

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 12:13:17 pm »
Hm, I plan the cosplay and get materials aaaall year through... and then I sew 5 days before the con in a frenzied panic of "WHYDIDN'TIDOTHISSOONER??". XD; Every year I say I'll start sewing earlier... and then I don't. I'm pretty predictable. e.e;;;;
Me too @__@;

But I swear, this year will be the year I actually start early! XD;

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 12:49:36 pm »

So it begins.. (just bought it today heh)

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline majinekochan

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 01:10:19 pm »
I usually plan throughout the year but inevitably some things get put off till the last minute. For next year I allready have my costume but I'm working on getting the rest of the gang, there for I'm making costumes I'll never wear myself ^.^

Offline LittleCodfish

• Cabbit
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 01:53:39 pm »
When ever I start thinking, 'Oh snap, now would probably be a good time to start <insert costume> now' is about when I begin getting my stuff together.

Generally though, I like start at least a couple months in advance so I'm not scurrying to finish. That way I have time to put finishing touches.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 02:09:58 pm »
my last minut frenzy this year was stalled by my machine died week before con grrrr so i'm going to really try to not wait till the last miniut but it might be awhile till i really want to start sewing so i can make use of all the nifty stiches on my new machine

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 03:44:24 pm »
Sometimes I start years ago... that is, I have already purchased material for various costumes that I haven't bothered to start making. So technically, the costume has been up to 4 years in the making. Perhaps this year I'll actually make those costumes of good intentions. sigh.

:D

Offline Ren+Pocky

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 05:59:17 pm »
I've already started planning my costume, but I haven't purchased anything yet, as there's still some stuff to figure out.

Offline Kotoumi

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • tumblr
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 06:06:56 pm »
I'm not planning to be Pharaoh (YuGiOh) until KumoriCon 2008, and I started on bits of it around SakuraCon 07.  If I procrastinate too much, I drop the complicated ones that aren't close to being done so I can finish the simpler ones.

I spent roughly two weeks on Yukina.  ^^;  ...Eventually finishing the night before KumoriCon.

Usually, it takes a month or two for all of my costumes (In summer, when I don't have school) to get done, but I'm trying to spend more time on them.
Umbrella Duelists - Oregon Captain ☂

KumoriCon 2014
Red Riding Hood Belgium | Maid Belgium | Myrmidon Olivia

Offline QElderHell

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 07:07:03 pm »
i made all of my costume in less then a week >.< This year, im already planning/getting stuff, and its been less then a week since con lol

Offline dakrum

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/daks_mind
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 08:19:25 pm »
ive already started thinking about what i will do and thinking of whats of the parts are... nothing beyond that though ^_^ (Spike Spiegel if anyone is wondering ^_^)
THE anime list
now known as dakiro

Offline Naleh

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 09:31:27 pm »
Lets see... I started thinking about what I'm going to do next year on the way back...okay on the last day of Kumoricon... >.> I bought the pattern I'll need the next day when I went out to get a pompom and fabric glue to fix my mom's moogle. for those of you I didn't mention it to I'll leave as a surprise right now, but this is something from the final fantasy series... those of you who know don't blab!

First things first though...I need a sewing machine... this will be the first costume I'll make most of from scape. ^_^0 If I get a sewing machine on time...and my mom is able to help me...and I can purchease the material... TT__TT *feels broke just thinking about it*
K-con 08-
ANBU! (Rawr!)
Tobi :D

Remember kids! An apple a day, keeps the Shinigami sane!

Also please don't hate the plantman....Zetsu's a people person. (nomnomnom XD)

Offline Bundyangel

• Sailor Scout
    • Bundyangel15's Deviantart
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 09:53:05 pm »
ive already planned most of mine and i sketched out 2 costumes already, but i wont acutally start getting things together till i get a definate loacation and date for the next Kumoricon.
Cosplay of Kcon '07:
Naminé - KHII
Cosplay for Kcon '08:
Cosplay for Kcon '09

Didn't Happen

Cosplay for Kcon '10
Sakura Kinomoto - 10%
Pokemon Gijinka - 0%

Offline Ryu-chan

• Chibi
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2007, 12:38:15 am »
lol my ryuichi shirt took me a total of 3 days to make <<;; note the crappyness of it cause i made it last minute xD i was lik eomgomgomg i need a costume @@ didnt wanna use my kyo outfit cause i had no orange hair dye ;o;

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2007, 08:05:42 am »
ag!!!! i was looking up pics for a refernce or the cosplay i'm planing and i came acrosst the most disturbing piture of bowser and yoshi..i think i can finaly say scarred for life i am now totaly scarred for life
bowser stop get off of yoshi!!! no nononononn ooooo nyowww .....
grampa?

Offline Rude

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2007, 12:35:24 pm »
I guess it doesn't count really but with Rude I have to start getting into character over a week ahead of time. I have to start shaving my head that far out to prevent a shaving rash from doing it everyday at con. and since I am shaving my head that much I have to use a sunless tanner to assist on keeping the scalp from looking to white...or grey rather.

The piercings have taken about a half year to do so far... about 8 months til I have all of them in final jewery status. *pout* the one down side is I will never be allowed to work in a lumber yard again. *tear*

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2007, 12:46:27 pm »
I don't sew! ;D Plus I promised myself only one new Cosplay each year so I don't murder my bank account again! XP But I am gonna buy my new one early on in the year and buy some blonde wigs cause I don't wanna bleach my hair again!
Secrety secrets!

Offline Izeekial

• Cabbit
    • Cosplay.com
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2007, 01:28:55 pm »
I never stop working on the cosplays.  Each year I want to keep coming in bigger so I am always getting ready for the next con XD.
* "Do you doubt the integrity of a man who's muscles can do this?" - Maj. Alex Louis Armstrong *

Costumes:
Astaroth - Soul Calibur 2
Potemkin - GGXX
Armstrong - FMA

Offline LittleCodfish

• Cabbit
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2007, 10:18:48 pm »
I guess it doesn't count really but with Rude I have to start getting into character over a week ahead of time. I have to start shaving my head that far out to prevent a shaving rash from doing it everyday at con. and since I am shaving my head that much I have to use a sunless tanner to assist on keeping the scalp from looking to white...or grey rather.

The piercings have taken about a half year to do so far... about 8 months til I have all of them in final jewery status. *pout* the one down side is I will never be allowed to work in a lumber yard again. *tear*
You could always do fake piercings.

Offline Rude

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2007, 10:23:45 pm »

Pshhh Where is the fun in that? And when I saw AC and the facial similarites I finally knew what piercings I wanted to get.

Offline majinekochan

• Catgirl
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2007, 10:25:26 pm »

Heck I wear my Martel hair year round. At least the girls at SuperCuts don't question it anymore.
I just got my hair cut today, I should have done it before con, oh well.

Offline Rushifa

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Sewing Madness
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2007, 01:01:29 am »
For me, the planning stage can last awhile.  I might have a project kicking around in my head for years before I actually get down to making it. It seems that I acutally latch on to projects only a month or two before the con, however, and always end up finishing last minute things at the convention, the night before the costumes debut, lol...

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2007, 10:13:26 am »
I'm currently in planning stage. I have about 15 costumes I need to get done between now and next Kumori-Con, that is... If I get my ass into gear. But, I have several complicated costumes to do for Sakura-Con and one to do for Kumori-Con '08.

Regardless.... I'm starting now, and will be working throughout the year.

Sixteen Year Kumoricon Veteran
Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline LittleCodfish

• Cabbit
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2007, 01:07:38 pm »

Pshhh Where is the fun in that? And when I saw AC and the facial similarites I finally knew what piercings I wanted to get.
Well that makes sense XD

Offline Naleh

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2007, 01:40:17 pm »

You were awesome as Rude, oh and thanks again for the coffee! Haven't used it yet since I don't know where the coffee grinder is. TT__TT
So are you doing Rude again next year? ^_^
K-con 08-
ANBU! (Rawr!)
Tobi :D

Remember kids! An apple a day, keeps the Shinigami sane!

Also please don't hate the plantman....Zetsu's a people person. (nomnomnom XD)

Offline risotto

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2007, 03:17:06 pm »
I plan in my head some ideas of what costumes I want to do, and wait for a couple months to thoroughly think of the materials and time needed. I don't start sewing until it's the last few months before the con~ By then, things get mixed around and I might trash some ideas o_o;

Offline pencil

• Sailor Scout
    • http://users.livejournal.com/_pencil_/profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2007, 04:10:38 pm »
I usually do about a 5 months of planning, and then a week of sewing right before the con XD
But this has never turned out well for me, so Im going to try and change my ways this year!
I'm already pretty far into one of my costumes for Sakuracon :D
K-con 09!
Maetel - Galaxy Express 999
Sanji - Shabondy, Regular, Okama
Mamori - EyeSheild 21 - cheerleader

possibly Allen walker?

Offline Darkerlight

• Chibi
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2007, 05:03:08 am »

So it begins.. (just bought it today heh)

Ohhhhh.... Pretty! :)
Click me! Help me hatch!

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2007, 10:01:52 am »
I'm going to start ordering and looking for stuff asap. I probably won't start making my costumes for K-con until summer. Sakuracon I'm going to start January.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline Soubi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2007, 04:47:25 pm »
I tend to get things done at different speeds. My costume for this past year was mostly done a month leading up to the convention.
However. I'm nearly done with my next costume. (Although I think it'll be used at SakuraCon, rather than K-Con. I haven't the faintest what I'm doing for that. It really depends on what the rest of my group manages.)
SakuraCon '08: Touma (Gravitation) & Zexion (KH:CoM)
KumoriCon '08: Zexion (KH:CoM) & Tatsumi (Yami no Matsuei)
AkiCon '08: Zexion (KH:CoM)
SakuraCon '09: Miku (Vocaloid)

Offline shadow_shrine

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2007, 10:04:03 am »
im already started on my nexy costume! ^o^ going as yusura from himawari! i doubt anyone will recognise me when the time comes ^w^ i already have all my plans done, i just need to start working on the stuff~
a balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.

Offline Mirithespazz

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2007, 07:42:41 pm »
My friends and I are meeting tomorrow to start brainstorming/planning my Yuffie costume for next year
(they don't want to cosplay but they want to make me a costume)
((strange kids  ::) ))
Oh! and on that note if anyone knows of a good place to get a yuffie style wig please inform me ^^
I could use my real hair but its too light and my mom is not all that keen on dye even temporary 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 07:56:20 pm by Mirithespazz »
Kumoricon 08
- AC Yuffie

Offline Kotoumi

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • tumblr
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2007, 07:55:27 pm »
As of tomorrow, I will have fabric for my SakuraCon costume.

...One I'm wearing to KumoriCon next year.  <3
Umbrella Duelists - Oregon Captain ☂

KumoriCon 2014
Red Riding Hood Belgium | Maid Belgium | Myrmidon Olivia

Offline Rikki

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2007, 10:06:17 pm »
Whoo-hoo! I have proved to be less predictable than usual! I have already finished up one costume for the most part and have all the supplies for the next one. :0

Offline megchan

• Sailor Scout
    • An LJ that DOESN'T have locked entries?!
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2007, 10:35:04 am »
I start planning out costumes right away. And I usually get the supplies for them pretty quickly. But I always wait on making the actual thing. I'm planning on losing a decent amount of weight before Sakura-con so it'd be silly to make everything now and then re-fit it later ^_^;;
Anakin, you're breaking my heart if you don't come to "I'd Just as Soon Kiss a Wookiee: A Star Wars Panel" at Kumoricon!

Offline TsukikoAiko

• Chibi
    • The Guilty Brigade
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2007, 06:40:47 pm »
Being the leader of a cosplay group I get the group together and we plan out what we're doing way ahead of time. As far as when I start work on costumes...well, I started working on Shana for Sakuracon the weekend after Kumoricon. Due to college and making/helping with everyone elses costumes it pays off in the end though.
Sakuracon 09- A.B.A or S-ko, Subaru, & Sophitia
Kumoricon 09- Guilty Gear, Who knows, & SECRET!!!

THE GUILTY BRIGADE COSPLAY GROUP!
http://www.myspace.com/guilty_brigade

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2007, 04:07:21 pm »
I'm going to try to modify some Goodwill stuff first, but I've been starting to plan my costume since about... June? Something like that? Lots of thinking on my next one. If it doesn't work for Sakuracon, hopefully it will for Kumoricon. I draw it out on paper, buy the stuff, then get to work :) Listing what I need will be an uber necessity for this costume. Six months to go, roughly!
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"