Author Topic: first con ever  (Read 4285 times)

Offline {Die}Destroyer

• Sailor Scout
first con ever
« on: May 10, 2007, 10:12:13 pm »
this is going to be my first anime convention, so i hope to meet some intresting people and have a bunch of fun im going to be helping out as staff so look for me if u want to talk or whatever i also might be doing a cosplay skit i will be dressed as itachi uchiha.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
first con ever
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 11:06:59 pm »
remeber you need to want to have fun to have fun
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
first con ever
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 07:09:29 am »
Quote from: "superjaz3p"
remeber you need to want to have fun to have fun

It's true. Stalking and glomping does not = happiness or fun. Not always, heh

But, craziness aside, I look forward to seeing you there, and welcome!

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
first con ever
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 08:07:01 am »
oh my gosh, I was crazy surprised to get glomped at Sakuracon, I had no idea it was even called glomping.  I didn't even make it in the door before a girl came running at me Seshi!  

I hugged her back not wanting to be rude but it sure was surprising though fun, most everyone at cons are so friendly it is awesome I can't want to goto the next one (kumoricon)
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
first con ever
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 09:20:07 am »
Yeah, I'm pretty stoked too. This will only be my second year, but I already feel like an "old-timer" because of how long and how much time I've spent on here talking with my fellow otaku. I look forward to meeting you all, first-timers and everyone else too. ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
first con ever
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 11:35:15 am »
Welcome!

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
    • http://valliegirl.elite-otaku.net
first con ever
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 12:14:52 pm »
Awesome!   Well, I definitely hope you have a really fun time!
Take a chance 'cause you might grow
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://valliegirl.livejournal.com & http://www.myspace.com/valliegirl1013

Offline {Die}Destroyer

• Sailor Scout
first con ever
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 01:28:45 pm »
well thanks every oen here seems really nice, and i hope to meet some poeple have have some laughes :)

Offline dakrum

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/daks_mind
first con ever
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 03:34:37 am »
my first time to a kumoricon too this year and...

<-my cosplay hehe.

hope to have fun ^_^
THE anime list
now known as dakiro

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
first con ever
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 01:59:06 pm »
Quote from: "EveofAbyss"
Yeah, I'm pretty stoked too. This will only be my second year, but I already feel like an "old-timer" because of how long and how much time I've spent on here talking with my fellow otaku. I look forward to meeting you all, first-timers and everyone else too. ^_^

Old-timer? What does that make *me* and Guy??!?!??!???
Guy (the KumoriCon AMV coordinator, btw) went to his first convention in 1980... I went to my first convention in 1986.... :D

Offline xRIxKUx

• Bunnygirl
    • D.A
first con ever
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 02:37:47 pm »
That makes you ruins. lolx
and Welcome!!!! :3 I'm PrinCess. I will most definitly have to see you at the con ^_^
I like goats.

Offline Geirr

• Sailor Scout
first con ever
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 03:19:21 pm »
Quote from: "Runa"
but I already feel like an "old-timer" because of how long and how much time I've spent ... ^_^
Guy (the KumoriCon AMV coordinator, btw) went to his first convention in 1980...
Well, just to make EveofAbyss feel like a spry and callow youth, my first con was in 1978 - a couple of highlights were panels of SFX guys from ILM explaining how they created the effects in 'Star Wars,' (IV) which had just released the previous year. (May?) That and one of them had brought bloopers on 70mm film, carpet-taped together. This was perfect, because about every 3 - 5 scenes the tape would break, and the pause while the projectionist dug the baked and shriveled bits out of the projector allowed the rest of us to finish laughing. It went on for three hours, and my abdominals were SORE for about 2 days.

Anime characters from SF series were also welcome at SF cons, and two people of tall and lanky physique dressed up as Derek Wildstar and Starsha. Including the poofy moon-boots. Someone had also made a 3-ft model of the space cruiser Yamato, all scratch-built, for the art show.

Next bit of anime I can recall on the horizon of the past was watching 'Lensman' (released in sub about 1980,) at the first NJAC (Not Just Another Con.) One guy in the audience was flying on acid and his 'friends' made sure he watched CLOSE to the screen.

Runa and I met at NJAC of a later year. The big thing then was Bubblegum Crisis and the original Gundam, which hadn't yet turned 10 years old. Some gamers had also cobbled together a paper-sheet type RPG based on Gundam, Battletech & Robotech. You filled in circles as your armor got damaged. Once all the circles were full then that limb or weapon was 'out.' One cheater decided to invent 'repairs in the field' by using a DISAPPEARING INK PEN. In about 20 minutes he'd have 50% of his hit points back.

Four years later she and I were living IN JAPAN and watching 'Lodoss War' which we rented on VHS tapes. But EVERYTHING there came in 'raw!' (like, really?)

- G

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
first con ever
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 03:25:14 pm »
Quote from: "Geirr"
Four years later she and I were living IN JAPAN and watching 'Lodoss War' which we rented on VHS tapes. But EVERYTHING there came in 'raw!' (like, really?)

Oh, I remember that......ask us about "a Nasty"...and we'll tell you those stories from the "early" days of anime.   ;)

(oh, and back then, the concept of a "forum" was something called a BBS)

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
    • NekoPan Maid Cafe and Bakery
first con ever
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 06:27:32 pm »
Welcome Welcome!!  I love cosplay, hope to see you there!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
first con ever
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2007, 08:42:26 pm »
but I already feel like an "old-timer" because of how long and how much time I've spent ... ^_^
Guy (the KumoriCon AMV coordinator, btw) went to his first convention in 1980...
Well, just to make EveofAbyss feel like a spry and callow youth, the first con was in 1978 - a couple of highlights were panels of SFX guys from ILM explaining how they created the effects in 'Star Wars,' (IV) which had just released the previous year. (May?) That and one of them had brought bloopers on 70mm film, carpet-taped together. This was perfect, because about every 3 - 5 scenes the tape would break, and the pause while the projectionins dug the baked and shrivelled bits out of the projector allowed the rest of us to finish laughing. It went on for three hours, and my abdominals were SORE for about 2 days.

Anime characters from SF series were also welcome at SF cons, and two people of tall and lanky physique dressed up as Derek Wildstar and Starsha. Including the poofy moon-boots. Someone had also made a 3-ft model of the space cruiser Yamato, all scratch-built, for the art show.

Next bit of anime I can recall on the horizon of the past was watching 'Lensman' (released in sub about 1980,) at the first NJAC (Not Just Another Con.) One guy in the audience was flying on acid and his 'friends' made sure he watched CLOSE to the screen.

Runa and I met at NJAC of a later year. The big thing then was Bubblegum Crisis and the original Gundam, which hadn't yet turned 10 years old. Some gamers had also cobbled together a paper-sheet type RPG based on Gundam, Battletech & Robotech. You filled in circles as your armor got damaged. Once all the circles were full then that limb or weapon was 'out.' One cheater decided to invent 'repairs in the field' by using a DISAPPEARING INK PEN. In about 20 minutes he'd have 50% of his hit points back.

- G

0_0
*enter wise-cracking leprechaun who shouts, "YOU JUST GOT SERVED!"*
heh, just kiddin
Wow, though, thanks for the brief history lesson. That was some good stuff to know.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline TheInsanePuck

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/djpuckjd
first con ever
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2007, 09:38:46 pm »
I am stilla newb to cons n stuff... my first con was like 2002 and the next year I was workin security at sakuracon so yeah.... although this is gonna be my first time ever like really cosplaying so I am lookin foward to it n stuff...

welcome and everything main thing about cons if you wanna have yourself a grand oll time. bring pockey....

pockey at cons = cigarettes in jail it can get you almost anything
Insert Whitty Comments here...

oh yeah and BOOOSH
Sakuracon Security Coord 7 years running

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
first con ever
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2007, 11:19:30 pm »
Well, just to make EveofAbyss feel like a spry and callow youth, the first con was in 1978 - a couple of highlights were panels of SFX guys from ILM explaining how they created the effects in 'Star Wars,' (IV) which had just released the previous year. (May?) That and one of them had brought bloopers on 70mm film, carpet-taped together. This was perfect, because about every 3 - 5 scenes the tape would break, and the pause while the projectionins dug the baked and shrivelled bits out of the projector allowed the rest of us to finish laughing. It went on for three hours, and my abdominals were SORE for about 2 days.

- G

Dood that was so Geekmantic, ware is the tear emoticon.  Meeting at an old school con and it's Nerdly every after for the last 50 years.
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com