Author Topic: Sakuracon prices make my eyes bleed.  (Read 13715 times)

Offline The Night Bringer

• Sailor Scout
Sakuracon prices make my eyes bleed.
« on: September 06, 2006, 02:10:35 am »
So, I just now looked at the pre-reg prices on the sakuracon site and figured, the earlier the better...but they are already at $40. I have decided that is isn't worth it. Why such rediculas prices? I have been to Sakuracon once and I have to say that Kumoricon was a thousand times better at a way more affordable price. I love you Kumoricon.

Offline Kouta

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/yukasumire
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 09:46:28 am »
now that it is at the convention center is actually pretty cool and not crowded (at least it wasn't last year).
It is a little expensive for the folks that don't pre-register at the con itself for next year... but *shrugs*
its not like anyone has to go to both cons, also kumoricon is growing at about the same rate as sakuracon is right now. :3

Offline kalark

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 09:50:41 am »
I really dont think that it's that expensive. Especially if you pre reg.

I mean yeah kumoricon is cheaper then sakuracon, but sakuracon is much larger, has a better facility, and has more going on then kumoricon does.

I love both cons and I'm glad I can goto both. I guess the point is that it's in the convention center so it's more expensive like kouta said, But they also tend to get bigger name people and entertainment.

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 09:56:01 am »
The way I see it? The admission price will be worth it. :P

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 10:50:41 am »
I fully intend on attending Sakura-con again as well. The price was well worth it last year and I paid the $45 last prereg price. Along with what the others have listed, you also have to remember it is a 24 hour con.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline The Night Bringer

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 03:37:00 am »
Its true, but I don't have alot of money as is, and travel prices and hotel prices are such a damaging blow to my poor wallet. T.T The year I went every one was very rude until I went arround with a sign that said "Sorcerer in desperation, I need hugs to restore MP." then I was being glomped from every which angle. Maybe I just went at a bad tim, I will save up and give it a second try, still forty dollars this early makes my eyes hurt.

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/leashychan
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 06:24:35 am »
Guys, what is Sakuracon like?  How does it compare to Kumoricon because I and trying to decide if I want to go to both next year

Offline pinkrandomattack

• Chibi
    • http://www.cosplaylab.com/search.asp?keyword=Lillian+Sullivan+&category=member&x=8&y=6
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 08:41:41 am »
i dunno, I at least havent decided yet if im going to be going to sakura con this year or not.  last year (even though it was all in the convention center and heuge).  if youve seen how much people have been complaining onthe forums here about panels getting moved/cancelled,  it was about 80 times worse at sakura last year.  everything was all spread out there were a million rooms and often nothing going on in them, wether it was scedualed or not.  

i talked to the s-con booth guy about it, HE said that there had been some issue with the convention space being moved halfway through the year, so alot of scedualing/staff problems which i can understand.  but...i dunno i had way more fun this past weekend then i have ever had up in seattle.
Commissioning again!
Props, wigs and costumes.
twilighsewmurai@gmail.com

custom Amigurumi also available. (etsy shop coming soon)

Offline Catgirl Rin Rin

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 10:33:11 am »
Urk, $40 is alot, but I'm going to try to get to it! ^^

Miss Ellen of the Creation Station has asked if I could go, and I'll get back to you on that ASAP, Ellen, but yar! She'd like me to have a workshop each day of the con, and increase the time so it's about a 3 hour workshop, plus, I'm not sure, but probably a bit more people!

WoW! *hugs to anyone who got that reference!*

Anyways, maybe panelists get a deduction ^^; If so, I'll gladly part with some monies, not alot, but some for a Sakura Con attendee hopeful, so their con dreams can be fulfilled!

Aww, I never saw that sign, Night-Chan! *Hugs* I would've stalked you for as long as I could, hugging you repeatedly! Heh, I hope you made it home alright!

So yush, Sakura Con is my next target!
- Sakura-Con-Goers-Click ^^

Offline Adell

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 01:41:18 pm »
It's only $13.33 per day. That ain't so bad. It's the motel prices though are kind of a pincher IMO. >_<

Offline Kouta

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/yukasumire
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 02:22:17 pm »
Last year sakuracon had alot of problems with some staff not doing anything, or just "quitting" half way through stuff. It was somewhat unorganized, but alot went on and it was a nice space to be in. Its just like alot of other things when you move to a new venue, confusing at first but then it gets ironed out as things go on.
its not really fair to compare it to kumoricon, since they are different cons, and in my opinion is your friends and people you meet that make a con good or not... that being said sakuracon and kumoricon 06 were worth everything.

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 02:26:37 pm »
Yeah, the prices make me want to not go since I am a broke college student... But, I'm Publicity staff, so it's cheaper for me. But, yeah. Sakura-Con is a bit different than Kumori-Con. Okay, it's loads different. Because Sakura is bigger, they do get more well known people. In 2006 we had Camino, Japanese Rock group, and they were awesome.

It's just what you prefer. I like both Sakura and Kumori. Sakura because it was my first con, and Kumori becuase I know so many people there.

But, ultimately it's a person's decision if they want to go or not. I say go to see if you like it or not. ^_^;

Sixteen Year Kumoricon Veteran
Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 05:38:39 pm »
I'm still trying to figure out if I should go or not.  I'd like to go at least once just so I can see what it's like.

My main concern right now is money but by April that shouldn't be a problem (I hope).

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 05:43:24 pm »
Quote from: "Negima"
I'm still trying to figure out if I should go or not.  I'd like to go at least once just so I can see what it's like.

My main concern right now is money but by April that shouldn't be a problem (I hope).

That's why I always find roommates for the hotel room. ^_^

Of course, I need to go make sure I have a hotel room for SC 07....

Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 06:03:10 pm »
still a hard one, with saving for k-con and the drive there in all i am like negima i would like to see what its like some time
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Chevi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2006, 06:35:07 pm »
This year's Kumori-Con felt like the older Sakura-Cons, which I totally loved.  But this years Sakura-Con being a bigger place felt more alienating.  I really love both cons, but found Kumori-Con more enjoyable this year than Sakura-Con.  I've been going to Sakura-Con for the last 5 years and I've loved it until it got bigger.  But since it was a new venue and all maybe I'm just not used to it.  It is a bit more to pay though, but I think it's worth it. :wink:

Offline Hell_Kitty

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2006, 08:27:31 pm »
I think sakura-con is awesome i had fun last year and i only knew 2 people and i don't think i'd have as much fun without people at kumoricon(does this make any sense?)
I Don't Write Words I Draw Letters O_o
Current Cosplay Idea's
~Albel Nox(Star Ocean:TOT)(Remaking)
~Testament(Guilty Gear)(Remaking)
~Aliot(Ragnarok Online)(Planning..Probably wont make its appearance at Kumori-con)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2006, 11:10:39 pm »
I wanna go, Never been.
It is only thanks to Kumoricon I have ever been to an anime convention.
The thing is, im 16, and live in Salem. And am BROKE after Kumoricon and have no job plus school.
I just dont see a way of getting money for the con, gas there, a hotel, and all that stuff all the way in washington. And a ride up there either.
Maybe Ill get to go to Sakura con 2010 ^^;;

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline EcchiSpice

• Chibi
    • www.dreamlandjapan.com
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2006, 07:56:01 am »
Sakuracon is kind of like our big sister. They mentor us, while enabling us to grow as our own "person".

Sak focuses on education and cultural exchange. They make sure that all of their content is family friendly, and late night programming must follow certain guidelines in order to be focused on adults. (My adult content in anime panel is adjusted accordingly, to no detriment.) They do a great job of spreading the anime goodness, without freaking out the noobs and norms.

Kumoricon focuses on fan creation and fan input. People who share the love of anime can share it in interesting, unusual, and sometimes ridiculous ways. We are a laid back sort of party, that endeavours to include people through the promise of fun and a say for all. In the meanwhile, attendees get to learn a bit more about anime and Japan.  

Now, this is not to say that Kumori isn't educational, nor that Sak isn't fan created. We just have different approaches.

As you can see, we are very different from each other. Viva la differance! I like to think of Sak and Kumori as compliments to eachother, each offering a different perspective on the culture of anime. Each one is fun and wonderful for its own reasons. I wouldn't want to miss either. *shamless plug* lol!
You'll be loved, you'll be loved, like you never have known. When memories of me will seem more like bad dreams. Just a series of blurs, like I never occurred. Someday, you will be loved.

Offline pieisexactlythree

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2006, 09:44:52 am »
Hey Ecchi, were you the taco?

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2006, 09:47:42 am »
where is sakura gonna be this year?
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2006, 10:37:19 am »
Quote from: "pieisexactlythree"
Hey Ecchi, were you the taco?

Nope, that's Brian's (bakazoku) wife (don't know if she's on the forums) I believe. Ecchi (Meg) was the one at closing ceremonies doing most of the talking.

Jaz: The Washington State Convention center.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Brack

• Cabbit
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2006, 03:14:44 am »
Sakuracon is pretty cool. I would say they mentor Kumoricon well... except for the whole message boards(if they had control of this board, 2/3s of everything would be deleted).

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2006, 05:24:09 pm »
Quote from: "Brack"
... except for the whole message boards(if they had control of this board, 2/3s of everything would be deleted).

That's not saying much.  Standards seem to be pretty low up there too.  I haven't seen so many basic grammar and/or punctuation errors and ommissions since I was in third grade.

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2006, 07:59:27 pm »
That's not saying much.  Standards seem to be pretty low up there too.  I haven't seen so many basic grammar and/or punctuation errors and ommissions since I was in third grade.

Welcome to the internet?

Offline corpsic beauty

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2006, 08:45:00 pm »
^ haha...*cough cough* sorry...

kimiski and i have alot in common.......except i'm not 16! i honestly think i't will be a miricle if i'm able to go at all. especially since i just learned about sakuracon this year.......lol yea i'm kinda new to this ....kinda! XP

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2006, 10:21:42 pm »
I will if nothing goes wrong be heading to sakuracon maybe sporting a special outfit, yes the price is gonna break me but I shall find a way to survive it.
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2006, 10:33:53 pm »
Quote from: "Pie Row Maniac"

Welcome to the internet?

Been to the ANN forums lately?  Some of those people can actually communicate in english. lol

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2006, 01:25:49 pm »
Quote from: "Brack"
... except for the whole message boards(if they had control of this board, 2/3s of everything would be deleted).

I haven't noticed that on the threads I visit most often there. But, I do tend to hang around the Fanfic threads. So... But, when I do venture away from my usual threads, I do notice that some people do not use proper grammar. It makes me twitch in agony.

Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Yuki-cyan77

• Cabbit
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2006, 02:11:24 am »
I have been to SC for 3 yrs, and I totally will be there (already committed) for SC'07...for it will be their 10th year anniversary.

It's VERY worth every bit of the fee...
SOME reasons include....
There's always cool guests from Japan who you get to see in panels, take pictures & autographs, and concerts.

They have dances every night (Fri-Sat, Sat-Sun) dances run till 4am  (Which we WILL be having ANIME MUSIC for the dances for 2007)...
Arcade room stays open till 2am...
Karaoke can run up to 5am if there's enough ppl, but it will last till the designated time or longer...
All video rooms run 24-hrs....
LITERALLY, there is always SOMETHING to do at ANY hour...
That is, unless you're waiting in-line to get into a major event or concert.  ^-^=

You should pre-reg, because the prices WILL go up later and it'll be that much less to spend in the awsome dealer's room.

I've been to AX, and it's more costly there, but they have bigger Japanese guests (ei: CLAMP this year), but their staff aren't as helpful, and they closed their video rooms when they were scheduled to show anime I wanted to see.  Somehow I felt SC made more efforts to keep the Con a "for the Con-goers/attendees" and trys to keep events always running.  ^-^=
Yuki-cyan77
KC'06: Staff - on call Sign Language Interpreter
SC'06: Wendy (GUNxSWORD), Aerith (FF7), Inuyasha
Staff - Translator

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2006, 02:01:04 pm »
*looks at calendar* NNNOOOOOO WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE ON SENIOR DISPLAY PROJECTS DAY D:<
*shakes fist*  stupid senior projects grr! Maybe I'll still go, but only after I drop my poster board off >.>
I've really been wanting to go... it'd be my first time... *cries on the inside*
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2006, 04:31:44 pm »
Quote from: "makichan"
*looks at calendar* NNNOOOOOO WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE ON SENIOR DISPLAY PROJECTS DAY D:<
*shakes fist*  stupid senior projects grr! Maybe I'll still go, but only after I drop my poster board off >.>
I've really been wanting to go... it'd be my first time... *cries on the inside*

The Friday of Sakura-Con a few years ago was on WASL testing for me. My parents refused to let me go that day. Which made me sad. But, I dealt with it, and went right after school. Now I'm in college and can do what I please.

As Yuki-cyan said, Sakura-Con is worth it. There is ALWAYS something going on, and someone to talk to. Hell, I could go down to Sakura-Con at two in the morning and strike up conversation with someone in the Kareoke Room or just in a random hallway.

Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2006, 04:35:59 pm »
*grins* gotta love the late night con goers and the never sleeping yojimbo :)

Slogan: Have you hugged a yojimbo today?
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2006, 08:53:48 pm »
Quote from: "the_wind_the_sea"

The Friday of Sakura-Con a few years ago was on WASL testing for me. My parents refused to let me go that day. Which made me sad. But, I dealt with it, and went right after school. Now I'm in college and can do what I please.

As Yuki-cyan said, Sakura-Con is worth it. There is ALWAYS something going on, and someone to talk to. Hell, I could go down to Sakura-Con at two in the morning and strike up conversation with someone in the Kareoke Room or just in a random hallway.

looks like I'll be at school until I'm free of senior projects, then skip the rest of the day with fellow cosplayer friends heheh... I wanna go so badly, but I thought it was during spring break... gyar!... if it's at all possible, I WILL be there... oh yeah... there's no mistaking that, my friend.
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2006, 07:14:07 am »
Quote from: "the_wind_the_sea"

looks like I'll be at school until I'm free of senior projects, then skip the rest of the day with fellow cosplayer friends heheh... I wanna go so badly, but I thought it was during spring break... gyar!... if it's at all possible, I WILL be there... oh yeah... there's no mistaking that, my friend.

That's good, hope to see you there.

Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2006, 05:33:29 pm »
GAAAAH!  I'm still trying to figure out if I should go or not.  >.<

I want to go but I'm still trying to figure out how things will go money-wise.  The Kumoricon-weekend kinda cleaned me out since rent was pretty much due the following day as well.  I think if I cut down on a few things like manga I should be okay.
Yeah, I know, cutting down on manga may not sound like much but to give you an idea how many I buy, my first bookcase is overflowing.

But I know it would be fun to see what SakuraCon is like and to see everyone again.  Plus I'm a fan of Megatokyo and I really want to see that panel one of these days.

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2006, 09:26:22 pm »
Quote from: "Negima"
GAAAAH!  I'm still trying to figure out if I should go or not.  >.<

I want to go but I'm still trying to figure out how things will go money-wise.  The Kumoricon-weekend kinda cleaned me out since rent was pretty much due the following day as well.  I think if I cut down on a few things like manga I should be okay.
Yeah, I know, cutting down on manga may not sound like much but to give you an idea how many I buy, my first bookcase is overflowing.

But I know it would be fun to see what SakuraCon is like and to see everyone again.  Plus I'm a fan of Megatokyo and I really want to see that panel one of these days.

COME! You know you want to! You gotta come! Just once. Please Negi! *pouts*

Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯