Author Topic: good dub bad dub  (Read 7277 times)

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
good dub bad dub
« on: August 01, 2006, 01:58:59 am »
name 3 of the worst dubbed anime and 3 of the best. I'm interested to see people's opinions on good and bad... either that or... just really friggin' bored *spins in chair repeatedly* @___@
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
good dub bad dub
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 03:04:30 am »
>.> Black bible....
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
good dub bad dub
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 09:47:39 am »
Lodoss War
Trigun
X/1999 (Movie)

There's horror stories of the Love Hina dub but I haven't heard it myself

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
good dub bad dub
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 09:58:30 am »
Oh yeah, and three best:

Kare Kano / His & Her Circumstances
Excel Saga
Devilman (shamelessly bad, in the best way possible)

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
good dub bad dub
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 11:11:34 am »
Quote from: "Pie Row Maniac"
There's horror stories of the Love Hina dub but I haven't heard it myself

- It's true, so true.  It's my favorite manga and I still couldn't force myself to like the dub.  So there's one of my "bad dubs"
- Sailor Moon S
- One Piece

Good
- Kino's Journey
- IGPX
- Tenchi Muyo OAV

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
good dub bad dub
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 05:35:41 pm »
BAD DUB:
Sailor Moon *cries* DAMN DIC!
Cardcaptors
NARUTO

GOOD DUB:
Tenchi Muyo
Full Metal Alchemist
Trigun

(Bowboy bebop, Inuyahsa...)

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
good dub bad dub
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 05:45:40 pm »
Quote from: "kimiski"
Cardcaptors

Oh GAWD...
THe memories... make them stop...

*curls into a ball in the corner*

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
good dub bad dub
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 05:55:11 pm »
I've really only seen a few shows dubbed and the good of what I have seen outweighs the bad.

Bad:
One Piece
Naruto
Shaman King
Hellsing (only watched one episode dubbed..but I hated it)
Azumanga Daioh (I couldn't stand Osaka's voice..)

Good:
FLCL
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Lupin III
Most Ghibli movies are pretty good dubs IMO
GITS
Outlaw Star
Gundam Wing
Scrapped Princess
FMA
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
good dub bad dub
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 10:05:08 am »
Okay, I feel the need to update my bad dub list.

Love Hina
Cardcaptors
Negima

Yes, once again they slaughtered another anime by Ken Akamatsu.  They say Negi is from Wales but, seriously, it's like they're trying to hard with the accent.  Then they do what a lot of bad dubs do by adding in jokes that aren't there (nor funny).

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
good dub bad dub
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 06:30:11 pm »
Wow.  That's kinda hard to say for me.  I've seen a lot that have good and bad dubbing, plus a lot that I've only seen in Japanese.

Personally, I think some of the best dubbing I've ever seen was Blue Seed, which is a part of the reason why I love it so much.

I also thought the Slayers OVA's were done nicely, but they also had some of the worst in them; it just depended on where you're listening at.

That could also be said about the Ranma 1/2 series and OVA's.  (I can't say anything baout the movies because I've only seen one of them & it was in Japanese).

Naruto was done well, I suppose, but that "Believe it!" line gets really old really fast.

I've seen people comment on Sailor Moon; I've only seen one of the movies in Japanese, and didn't care for it, from any perspective.

I will agree with kimiski that Tenchi Muyo was done well.  I have no complaints.

Sister Princess, for the most part, was done pretty well, too.  Although, I didn't like the characters that attempted foreign accents.  One was obviously French & I didn't care for it (which is a shame, because it was Tiffany Grant, one of my favorite English dubbers), but I can't make out the other one, (I think it's suppose to be English).
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
good dub bad dub
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 06:57:52 pm »
Quote from: "Washougal_Otaku"
I also thought the Slayers OVA's were done nicely, but they also had some of the worst in them; it just depended on where you're listening at.

I totally agree with you.  I thought Slayers was very well done except for Amelia in the first season.  Her voice is literally one of the few voices I couldn't stand.  Then it changed in the second season and I had no problems with it.

Quote from: "Washougal_Otaku"
Naruto was done well, I suppose, but that "Believe it!" line gets really old really fast.

On lelola.net, the web-mistress writes reviews of the Naruto episodes and includes a "Believe it" counter for each episode.  It's kinda funny. ^_^

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
good dub bad dub
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 07:06:39 pm »
Well, actually, I was talking about the OVA's.  I've never seen the series dubbed in English, so I wouldn't know.  If the person who did Amelia was the same person for Slayers Premium, then yea, I liked her; she did a pretty good job.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
good dub bad dub
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2006, 02:01:50 am »
Lets see, some good:

Full Metal Alchemist

Excel Saga

X TV

Cowboy Bebop

Inuyasha

Tenchi Muyo

Rurouni Kenshin (Ok, this is debatable. However, I get it MAJOR credit for keeping the japanese names for techniques, even in the english version, thats how I thought Naruto should have been done. Which leads me to....)

Bad:
Naruto (I can't believe it's not Naruto!)

One Piece (Everytime Sanji talks like a surfer, god kills a kitten)

Cardcaptors (I'm glad they never relesed this fully onto DVD, uncut subtitled only dvds are the way to go. Now to find them all....)

Dragonball Z (To their credit, they DID get better with this)

Azumanga Daioh (As much as I laugh at this, the dub is horrid to me)

Love Hina (Ok, so, Mitsune is has a japanese accent, that DOESN'T give you the right to dub her voice with a Southern accent. She's NOT from Mississippi!!)

Thats all I got for now.

Offline Writer

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1065989/
good dub bad dub
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2006, 10:59:25 am »
I just have to mention evangelion here, with the three different dubbings for one scene.

the unfortunate death of Sephiroth

Offline XCrashCardX

• Cabbit
good dub bad dub
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2006, 01:40:11 pm »
I thought that the Dubed version of Gungrave was very well done. Actualy, I kinda liked the dubed version better infact. (Don't hurt me!)
Saturday Cosplay:      FFT White Mage
Sunday Cosplay:     Brandon Heat

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
good dub bad dub
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2006, 06:01:02 pm »
Quote from: "Dustin"
Love Hina (Ok, so, Mitsune is has a japanese accent, that DOESN'T give you the right to dub her voice with a Southern accent. She's NOT from Mississippi!!)

I KNOW.  Seriously, where on Earth did that idea come from?

And wait until you hear Negi on the Negima dub.  It's literally one of those O.o moments.

Cardcaptors (I'm glad they never relesed this fully onto DVD, uncut subtitled only dvds are the way to go. Now to find them all....)

I think they brought out the uncut DVDs again.  I remember seeing a box set of them in the thin cases at Suncoast awhile ago.

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
good dub bad dub
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2006, 11:00:34 pm »
I don't plan to watch the dub of Negima, ever in my life. I stopped watching Negima because they deviated quite a bit from the manga's original plot, and that really annoys me, unless I see the anime first, then I just probably wind up liking the manga more.

Alot of anime actually does that, but it really bothers me when they go WAY off the plot, such as everything after the Kyoto arc in Rurouni Kenshin. Manga was WAY better. Enishi's story was sad and deserved to be told in more than just a freakin' OVA.

Once Negima started going off the manga heavily, I seriously stopped watching, so, yeah. Love Hina wasn't perfect, either, but thats because at that point the manga hadn't finished.

I wish there was some sort of rule that if an anime caught up the manga, production would hault for awhile. This would be very helpful in stopping bad things from happening, such as crappy filler plots (Example: Naruto).

Bah, sorry for the topic hijacking for rant space. >_>;

Offline Writer

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1065989/
good dub bad dub
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2006, 10:35:48 am »
Bad dub: One piece.

I have only watched two episodes, but I know that I would never be able to listen to Sanji like that and enjoy the rest of the show.

the unfortunate death of Sephiroth

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
good dub bad dub
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2006, 11:12:28 am »
I wish there was some sort of rule that if an anime caught up the manga, production would hault for awhile. This would be very helpful in stopping bad things from happening, such as crappy filler plots (Example: Naruto).

I can imagine that being a huge hassle for the studio unfortunately. Basically the studio has to stretch for a whole other season in hopes that the manga catches up to the anime in that timespan. In Kenshin's case, it didn't happen and it cost them potential for the rest of the manga to be fully animated (compared to the Reflection OVA).

Offline miaki

• Cabbit
good dub bad dub
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2006, 12:01:46 pm »
good:
Twin Signal <---the only anime i prefer the dubbed over the Japanese :shock:
Tenchi Muyou ...... "Why don;t you have some teeea Tenchi?"
Gundam Wing
Trigun

Bad:
Digimon
Sailor Moon *major SOB*
Cardcaptor
Saiyuki (urks me to know end) *sob*
Kenshin
One Piece
Naruto
i could go on forever :twisted:
visit My Deviant Art Account

Kumoricon 06:
Day 1 - Killua (HunterXHunter)
Day 2 - Haruhi (Ouran Host Club)
Day 3 - Shinsengumi person (my traditional K-con outfit, ever since 03) or Tetsu (Peacemaker Kurogane)

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
good dub bad dub
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2006, 05:08:30 pm »

I wonder if that's what happened to Yugioh during the Noah's Arc arc (most pointless side quest I have ever seen in my life)

And I feel kinda weird because, unlike a lot of people apparently, I liked the dubbed Naruto.  I don't think it's perfect but there are a lot of things I liked about it.  Here's some of the reasons why I think this:
- Some of the voices I thought were pretty close or perfect (ex: Haku.  That was exactly what I imagined).  There are a number of voices I do think they could've done better with though.
- They actually include the words "death" "kill" "die" and a few other things.  It just seems like a lot of cartoons and anime these days won't say anything relating to those topics.  (Hey Zorro, your girlfriend fell down the stairs.  Oh no, she's fine, she's just resting but you won't ever see her again.)
- They don't try to include a bunch of jokes that aren't there nor funny.  Again, a lot of televised anime seem to be doing that lately.

Offline miaki

• Cabbit
good dub bad dub
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2006, 05:43:21 pm »
it's because they are finally getting the picture that this is not what the people want, now that anime has grown so huge.
visit My Deviant Art Account

Kumoricon 06:
Day 1 - Killua (HunterXHunter)
Day 2 - Haruhi (Ouran Host Club)
Day 3 - Shinsengumi person (my traditional K-con outfit, ever since 03) or Tetsu (Peacemaker Kurogane)

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
good dub bad dub
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2006, 08:32:57 am »
It is widely known that people who are shot, stabbed, disentegrated or blown-up are sent to what is known as "the next dimension". To threaten an opponent's life, simply state that you intend to send them there.

No one will question you.

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
good dub bad dub
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2006, 05:11:35 pm »
It is widely known that people who are shot, stabbed, disentegrated or blown-up are sent to what is known as "the next dimension". To threaten an opponent's life, simply state that you intend to send them there.

Hey, don't piss off the god of love!

Ah, bad quotes and story vices from the old dubbed DBZ. Those days provided alot of comedy for me because I laughed at horrible dubs. :D

Offline EcchiSpice

• Chibi
    • www.dreamlandjapan.com
good dub bad dub
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2006, 06:17:17 pm »
Good
Puni Puni Poemy - The dub is FAR better than the sub, and in this case, the added in jokes actually made the show.

Metropolis - No annoying kiddie voices, and if you turn on the sub and dub similtanously, they are almost a perfect match.

I'll second anything Studio Ghibli, and if we can include video games, Kingdom Hearts I and II.

Bad
Spiral.....ewwwww (though it's not much better in the sub...)

I know there are others that I've crawled under the seat from, but I don't usually watch dub any more, unless Gus insists.

On another note, when Sailor Moon was first released in Japan, the manga and the show were timed such that one never surpassed the other. It was part of a marketing campaign aimed at young girls. (You can read about this in Dreamland Japan, by Fred Schodt.)
You'll be loved, you'll be loved, like you never have known. When memories of me will seem more like bad dreams. Just a series of blurs, like I never occurred. Someday, you will be loved.

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
good dub bad dub
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2006, 12:39:51 am »

Hey, don't piss off the god of love!

Ah, bad quotes and story vices from the old dubbed DBZ. Those days provided alot of comedy for me because I laughed at horrible dubs. :D

And then there's the timeless:
"Look, I can see their parachutes! They're okay."

Man, I should go buy a VCR just to watch the old tapes again...