Author Topic: In need of some sewing advice  (Read 3397 times)

Offline Rushifa

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Sewing Madness
In need of some sewing advice
« on: July 21, 2006, 12:43:26 am »
I'm planning to make this outfit for a con in the future (doubt I'll have it anywhere near done for this upcoming Kumoricon, but we'll see), and I'm having not sure how to aproach a few details.  I'm making the outfit with my mom, and have some minor sewing experience myself.  Most of the outfit we plan to make by converting patterns.  The part of unsure about is the trim which runs the bottom of the skirt and parts of the sleeves: the gold with the blue squares along it.  One of my friends suggested painting the squares on the gold fabric, but that sounds a little tacky to me.  My current plan is to individually sew squares together with gold cloth as a border, but that sounds tedius and easy to mess up.  Any advice from you pros out there?

Offline pinkrandomattack

• Chibi
    • http://www.cosplaylab.com/search.asp?keyword=Lillian+Sullivan+&category=member&x=8&y=6
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 01:08:09 pm »
actually painting wouldent be that bad, IF you did it with gold paint on a blue backround. not the otherway arround.  just be sure that you use fabric paint and not acylic everyday paint. they have it in little tubs at fabric depot and i wouldent be surprized if michals or crafty type places had it.  ive used it before for details and it works nicely if you have a steady hand and a good brush.
Commissioning again!
Props, wigs and costumes.
twilighsewmurai@gmail.com

custom Amigurumi also available. (etsy shop coming soon)

Offline Ayaroki

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/z0mbiie
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 01:15:55 pm »
Going off of what pinkrandomattack said, I'd go with painting gold on a blue background.
Except, it might be easier if you put down squares of paint tape (I'm thinking, like, the blue Scotch room tape. xD  Not sure if that effects fabric though. I don't think so.) and then just paint over those and the fabric. Once all dry, you should be able to lift them up and have your perfect little squares of blue.
:]

Kumoricon 2008 Cosplay Schedule -

Konan -- Naruto -- 100%

☆⌒(*^∇゜)v

Offline Rushifa

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Sewing Madness
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 08:39:13 pm »
Thanks for the advie guys, painting is sounding more and more like the best choice.  I was thinking maybe using a stencil or something, with a rectangle hole is a sheet of cardboard, and using a spungle to apply the paint.

Offline kalagei

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 09:58:57 pm »
what I would consider...is maybe getting some gold ribbon and cutting slits in it and weaving a smaller blue ribbon through the slits.
2004 - 2007 Kumoricon Attendee
2008 - Operations Office Staff
2009 - Assistant Ops Director
2010 - Director of Operations
2011 - Registration Manager
2012 - Vice Chair
2013 - I can safely say that I'm not running for a board position :D

Offline Angi-Kate

• Oni
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 11:21:44 pm »
Quote from: "kalagei"
what I would consider...is maybe getting some gold ribbon and cutting slits in it and weaving a smaller blue ribbon through the slits.

I'd have to second this idea. Just finish the slits, via buttonholes if it's faster, so that you don't have those annoying threads that snag and unravel. Applique may take longer, but the effect is very nice when it's done. (And maybe I'm just speaking out of always having a shaking hand when I try to paint...)

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 06:42:38 pm »
curious, when/where you think you will wear that cosplay?  I'm planning on doing a suikoden cosplay so it would be cool to meet up.
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline Rushifa

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Sewing Madness
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 07:51:10 pm »
Quote from: "Seraph"
curious, when/where you think you will wear that cosplay?  I'm planning on doing a suikoden cosplay so it would be cool to meet up.

With in any luck I'll have it ready for nest SakuraCon, depending on how much time I have to spend on it during the year.  If I don't make it for that, I'm aiming for Kumoricon07.  I was hoping to make it this summer, but I just don't have enough time.  

I'm going with a small group, ideally consisting of Jeane, Yuber, and Luc, all Suikoden III versions.  We'd love to meet up with other Suikoden cosplayers, there are never very many.

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 09:33:51 pm »
@Rushifa
My time table is pretty much the same as your so I should be able to meet up with your group.

I'm hoping to do the Prince from Suikoden 5, but there are others I'm considering of doing instead.
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline Rushifa

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Sewing Madness
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 11:53:22 pm »
Quote from: "Seraph"
@Rushifa
My time table is pretty much the same as your so I should be able to meet up with your group.

I'm hoping to do the Prince from Suikoden 5, but there are others I'm considering of doing instead.

Awesome, it'd be cool to meet up at some point.  

I know we've also thought of doing a group of main-character cosplay.  As in, the main characters from each game.  I don't know if that would actually work out, though.  Personally, I plan to someday do a Chris costume, 'cause she's so awesome!