Author Topic: Ask the Moderators  (Read 17253 times)

Offline EcchiSpice

• Chibi
    • www.dreamlandjapan.com
Ask the Moderators
« on: November 04, 2005, 07:13:02 pm »
So maybe you are wondering why we moderators do things the way we do - why the Avatars have to be a certain size, why the posts need to have content, etc. A lot of this stuff is technical, as in the process of moderation requires certain things to happen. Some of it is political, like making sure the content is all ages. And some things are just, to put it bluntly, annoying to us and other posters (like bumping, or thread resurrection, without additional input).

If you would like to know some of the technical details of moderation, how the forums actually work, what some of the terms mean (as we are not all fluent in forum) or what ever, post here and ask. We'll do our best to answer your questions.
You'll be loved, you'll be loved, like you never have known. When memories of me will seem more like bad dreams. Just a series of blurs, like I never occurred. Someday, you will be loved.

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
Ask the Moderators
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 04:30:16 am »
Not really a question, more of a suggestion.

I think this should be stickied, so first timers can easily see it at the top of the page. :D

Offline EcchiSpice

• Chibi
    • www.dreamlandjapan.com
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 07:11:51 am »
We are stickied.

Everyone should also view the Code of Conduct, which should be up by Wednesday. It is already written, just needs to be uploaded. It will be cool.
(You'll see what I mean, soon :) )
You'll be loved, you'll be loved, like you never have known. When memories of me will seem more like bad dreams. Just a series of blurs, like I never occurred. Someday, you will be loved.

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Ask the Moderators
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 07:34:54 pm »
No questions? Everybody's clear?
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
aaaaaargh!!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 10:33:37 pm »
ok so. i go to sign in. this has happened the past half dozen times in a row or more. i put in my login and password. and what happens is that it does not log me in. or rather it lists me as logged in, at the bottom of the page, where it lists who's online; but my computer i'm using at the moment is not logged in and i can't access messages or staff sections or anything. then i try a second time and i manage to log in, but can't use the view posts since last login function, because it says no posts meet your criteria, because as far as it knows, i was already logged in......aaaaaargh!

on a previous (non-anime) forum where this happened, someone had told me it was because i was not checking the box to log in automatically each visit. something about cookies. so i tried tonight with checking that box, and that didn't prevent the problem.
aaaaargh!

that view posts since last login function saves me so much time.....please help fix things so that i can log in right the first time and use that function!

thanks,
seriously computer-skill-deficient rem.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Ask the Moderators
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 07:07:35 pm »
No, it's something else about cookies. You do not have to check the auto-login box.

The forum hates the fact that you are logging in from kumoricon.org, which redirects to the domain where our site lives, kumoricon.com. I'm guessing this is what is happening to you. It happened to me just a few nights ago. Just remember to use Kumoricon.com to come to the website and the forums.

I will try to change the redirect method so it actually changes the address instead of pretends you are browsing kumoricon.org. That should help.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline PezCat

• Catgirl
Ask the Moderators
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 07:30:59 pm »
New prob... when I type in www.kumoricon.com/forums, it redirects me to www.kumoricon.comforums, not including the slash - which causes a page that doesn't exist to pop up.  Can we fix this?

PezCat
Sixty pounds lighter, just as awesome.
2K3-2K7: Various staff, primarily RPGs and Registration
2K12: God only knows...

=^..^=

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Ask the Moderators
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 07:34:20 pm »
If I could replicate that error I might. However, everything seems fine for me. Sorry. :?
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline PezCat

• Catgirl
Ask the Moderators
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 08:13:43 pm »
ahh, HERE'S why... I misspoke (mistyped?)  I said kumoricon.com/forums, but I meant kumoricon.org/forums

Me stupid.  Me not check for bees.

PezCat
Sixty pounds lighter, just as awesome.
2K3-2K7: Various staff, primarily RPGs and Registration
2K12: God only knows...

=^..^=

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Ask the Moderators
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 08:48:21 pm »
okies, i'll try to remember
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Ask the Moderators
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 09:51:09 pm »
Quote from: "PezCat"
ahh, HERE'S why... I misspoke (mistyped?)  I said kumoricon.com/forums, but I meant kumoricon.org/forums

Me stupid.  Me not check for bees.

PezCat

That is the trade-off, unfortunately. I couldn't get it both ways. People can no longer access the Kumoricon forums through kumoricon.org/forums/ and will have to update their bookmarks. The upshot is this prevents them from accessing the forums from a place that breaks their cookies (which some people actually prefer to use. Gasp!)
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Dustin H

• Cabbit
    • http://www.myspace.com/dustinph
Ask the Moderators
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 09:43:00 pm »
when i access threads that contain many pages, such as 20 or more, the last three pages or so always say "no topic exists" or something to that effect. so i usually end up scrolling through all 30 some pages one by one to get to the last page with posts. have you come across this before?

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
Ask the Moderators
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 09:53:07 pm »
Quote from: "Dustin H"
when i access threads that contain many pages, such as 20 or more, the last three pages or so always say "no topic exists" or something to that effect. so i usually end up scrolling through all 30 some pages one by one to get to the last page with posts. have you come across this before?

I get that all the time and had ASSumed it was commen and some one must have asked before.  Yeah Sysops whats up with that "no topic exists" error
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Ask the Moderators
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 07:53:15 pm »
Quote from: "Vondan"
Quote from: "Dustin H"

I get that all the time and had ASSumed it was commen and some one must have asked before.  Yeah Sysops whats up with that "no topic exists" error

Actually I think I might be able to fill that one in.
My theory is that when there was a hiccup in the forum, it deleted some accounts and their posts but the forum still thinks those posts exist.  Because of this, it created a sort of "extra empty space."  It isn't just on threads that have about 30 pages, it's on any thread that was made before Jan. (?) 2006 and where a deleted user posted in.

(Warning: Weird analogy ahead)
Think of a thread as a container filled with water, the water being posts.  Next the "hiccup in the system" happens and drains some of the water.  The size of the container (thread) hasn't changed but the amount of water (posts) has so if you check on the very end, you notice nothing's there.

Sorry for the really bad analogy.  I have a tendency of doing that.

Offline Dustin H

• Cabbit
    • http://www.myspace.com/dustinph
Ask the Moderators
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 11:11:36 am »
hehe,

yeah, i get it. i figured it had something to do with deleted posts.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Ask the Moderators
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2006, 12:42:17 pm »
poor negima you would know
but yeah, i had posted reponces to some pic negima had posted and when they disapeared my post didn't make sence anymore
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Ask the Moderators
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2006, 07:01:58 pm »
I would have used the word "brainfart" but yeah, Negima knows, as it deleted his account and all his posts along with it, along with a few other users'. I have no idea how or why it happened but it appeared to be a database bug that I don't know how to repair (and therefore probably is impossible to repair.) But the reason for what you are encountering is that the forum did not recalculate the post and page numbers in the threads when it deleted the users, which is why you see the error you do.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline lucrezia03

• Cabbit
    • http://home.graffiti.net/nimue1540:graffiti.net/
Ask the Moderators
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2006, 07:17:14 pm »
I got an email notifying me that I had a new private message, and I was expecting I would be getting one, but when I followed the link there was no new message. I thought I'd just check back today, however, there's still nothing there. Has it just been eaten by cyberspace?

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Ask the Moderators
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2006, 08:54:17 pm »
Quote from: "lucrezia03"
I got an email notifying me that I had a new private message, and I was expecting I would be getting one, but when I followed the link there was no new message. I thought I'd just check back today, however, there's still nothing there. Has it just been eaten by cyberspace?

Your private message was probably recalled by whoever sent it. They probably thought better of sending whatever it was to you and decided not to.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline gemineye42

• Sailor Scout
Uhm...
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2007, 02:05:22 pm »
Okay now I'm no longer a moderator and can't view the staff forums. Someone fix please? Thanks!
I can has cheezburger?

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Ask the Moderators
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2007, 09:16:33 am »
Fixed. The admin who promoted you didn't inform me so I didn't know what was going on. Mea culpa.

Also, make sure you understand what the Moderators' forum (as well as the other staff forums) are for. Your previous topic there led me to believe something was seriously wrong rather than you were simply posting in the wrong place.
2008 Facilities Liaison