Author Topic: Friendship Group Ideas  (Read 4386 times)

Offline BloodyBuTtTerFly

• Cabbit
Friendship Group Ideas
« on: August 11, 2015, 10:43:39 am »
I have read/heard a lot about how people come to con and sadly there friends at last minuet cant make it so there alone, or in a smaller group then normal. Or how there nice to that one person who then hangs out with them all of con, and there is no nice way to ask them to leave because you want to have some you time or something.

I was just thinking if like the photo shoots there was a time and place set up, maybe everyday of con people could go to try and make friends. Find someone who wants to go to the panel you want to go to, someone to walk around the park with, someone to go play board games with, ect. Might be a good idea.

Thoughts?

Offline Penguin4478

• Cabbit
Re: Friendship Group Ideas
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 12:27:03 pm »
I think you normally meet new friends at panels and stuff anyways, so I don't know if this would really fly.
2013 Smash Bros. Brawl Champion
2014 League of Legends Top 4 Team
2015 League of Legends 3rd Place Team

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 01:19:14 pm »
Bouncing off what Penguin said, that's kinda what the point of the events ARE..Things like fan interaction panels (like sometimes there's late night PJ panels for a series, or other panels where the whole room interacts). And photoshoots are HUGE interactions. Like, that's literally a bunch of people hanging out together, that's the one thing needed in order to make new friends: to actually interact with them, and you can't get any more interacting than physically being right next to the other person/people.

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 08:32:48 pm »
Well, I'm going to be hosting a get together for attendees on the autistic spectrum and I know that's not really general but there are a lot of people who are.

Other than that, yeah I'd say striking up conversations is a good way to meet people.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 04:22:08 pm »
Well, I'm going to be hosting a get together for attendees on the autistic spectrum and I know that's not really general but there are a lot of people who are.

Other than that, yeah I'd say striking up conversations is a good way to meet people.

Do you have a time/date/location for that?  I would love to share the info with my autism mom group. 
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 07:24:07 pm »
Last I heard it was 12:30 Saturday in Heritage E but I don't know if the schedule has been finalized.

Offline BloodyBuTtTerFly

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 10:06:46 am »
I totally agree best way to meet people is to chat with them. But with the few photo shoots, panels, ect, I have been to/ask my friend about (he showed me cosplay so he has done more then me) everyone is super nice and chatty but after the event is over everyone goes there own way. Most people have there group set up, friends already to hang out with, or are social butterflies who can make friends anywhere they go.

I’m talking about a group that is set up just for making friends for con. Finding someone who wants to do all the same things you want to do.  For example finding someone who has the same plans for day 1, yall can hang out all day and have a blast together instead of going to the panels alone and trying to make friends that way. Maybe I’m just a bit more shy then everyone else, but there have been times I had wanted to go do something but passed because I had no one to go hang out with.

I just thought it might be a good idea for people who are coming to con alone or in a very small group to go hang out where the goal is to make friends. So there is no awkward feeling when you think someone might be cool to hang out with, you can just ask as that is the whole point.

Just clearing up what I think. But if no one else agrees, I shall just work on my social skills and try chatting with people more around con =)

Offline Penguin4478

• Cabbit
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 10:06:09 pm »
I just live in the video game section and meet lots of new people despite the fact that I am normally pretty introverted.

Try and find an activity that you can engage yourself with other people, such as competitions or just some types of games. I think I have already a handful of people who I've shared contact info with just from playing smash bros. with them.
2013 Smash Bros. Brawl Champion
2014 League of Legends Top 4 Team
2015 League of Legends 3rd Place Team

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 10:13:29 am »
I meet lots of interesting people in the video/board game room, too.

For instance, I met some folks at the Rock Band game and we had a blast!
Every so often, I might share my phone number or ask if anyone wants to go to a panel or game and just hang out. It works really well, especially with an ice breaker activity.

Also, I've met some very nice people while waiting in lines, as well.

The atmosphere is so open and friendly during the con; if you see someone nearby, try to say hello and start up a conversation.

As a person who has anxiety, I know how hard it is to just dive in and try starting games and conversations, but I've improved a lot over the years because of the practice.

I feel as though there's been a lot of panels and meet-ups having to do with dating and friends, but then there's a whole lot of people standing in a room too shy to initiate with anyone...That's why I do think it is a little bit easier to meet people by attending other things; that way you CAN meet someone who likes the same things as you.

It's hard, it can be awkward, but it can get easier with practice and patience.

Be kind to yourself, and just try your best! ^^
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 10:14:46 am by Valkyrie542 »
-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

Message me if you're doing similar cosplays and want to meet for photos!

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 06:22:01 pm »
How about this--at the restaurants, both on site and things like Subway that get a lot of business, when you're seated, tell the server that you're open to having other people seated at your table. And when you come in looking for a seat, say that you'd like to be seated with someone.

I think that'd be a fun way to meet people! And if you don't get along, you at least have food.