Author Topic: Kumoricon '14 compared to '13  (Read 5367 times)

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
Kumoricon '14 compared to '13
« on: December 03, 2014, 12:53:53 am »
Since I didn't make Kumoricon this year, I wanted to ask what you thought of it as a four-day event.

1. How did it go overall compared to three days last year?
2. What was the fan panel scheduling like? Were there more than usual, or was it pretty much the same?
3. How was the convention's final day this compared to before?

I'm going to work on coming back next year, but I'd like to hear a little first on how it went in its new format.

Offline GreenBrownGirlSasori

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
Re: Kumoricon '14 compared to '13
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 01:26:07 am »
Everything was fantastic. There were more panels that were great, and the end of con was really great too.
see ya, space cowboy.
@greenbrowngirl is my Instagram if you are interested in seeing cosplay progress and my drawings.

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 03:04:00 am »
That's good to hear.
What was the last day like?

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 11:03:58 am »
Personally, 2013 was bad for me..A lot went wrong for me (nothing the con did, all me and my cosplays), but this year did seem better all around. The 4 days thing is awesome, much better than the norm. I think it was a big step up.

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 08:12:47 am »
I'm very likely going to be back next year.
I've been to a few four-day conventions before, and I agree that it's fun to have an extra day.
If I can make Kumoricon '15, it'll definitely bring me back to the times I attended Anime Expo and Fanime, which were both great.
Before this year, I noticed that the majority of fan and guest panels were scheduled on the first two days with very little on day three.
What were the approximate number of panels (both guest and fan) that were scheduled for days three and four this year?
Because I plan to submit some panels for next year, I'd like to get an impression of the times I'd like to do.
I like to schedule mine at times that don't conflict with voice actor panels and if there aren't as many of them on days three and four, I'd be comfortable doing them then.

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 11:04:32 pm »
I hope you are able to come next year. How was Fanime? Is it better than Sakuracon or Newcon?
see ya, space cowboy.
@greenbrowngirl is my Instagram if you are interested in seeing cosplay progress and my drawings.

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 12:06:53 am »
Thanks. I'd love to bring back my panels.
When I went there in '07 and '08, I enjoyed it, but since then, I've had to be careful with my budget.
I'd like to go back again someday, but my tentative con schedule for next year is Sakura Con and Kumoricon.

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 12:30:26 am »
As for the voice actor panels, they happen throughout con, usually in the afternoon for signings and the mornings are info panels/q&a about them and industry stuff. If I were you, I'd email programming@kumoricon directly, but if I had to say the best time for guest panels, I would say night time either an hour or two before the dances, or after the ball and late night cosplay chess are over. That is your best bet for getting lots of people who will be mostly calm and there to have fun without being to crazy, or having people leave to go catch an autograph panel or some contest.
see ya, space cowboy.

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 01:38:18 am »
Okay, thanks. I'll be sure to do that.

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 02:53:47 am »
ok Good luck! I hope it works out! ;D
see ya, space cowboy.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 02:58:39 am »
Personally, I felt like it was about the same between the two, except that this year was longer (obviously) with more things to do.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 10:43:24 pm »
1. How did it go overall compared to three days last year?
Four days was fun and fine. There was a band playing music in the park which was too loud for my own personal liking, but it wasn't bad. Attendance seemed lower on Day 1 compared to any other day since it was spread out, and the same can be said for day 4. The Dealer's Hall was seperated into 2 locations, one of which's location was poorly advertised.

2. What was the fan panel scheduling like? Were there more than usual, or was it pretty much the same?
Fan panels had a huge amount of gameshow or Q&A panels it felt like. There was mostly a larger variety, but yet it seemed limited like in years past where panels are limited to one or two fandoms. Overall not bad and pretty enjoyable, but the locating of the signatures for guests being upstairs in one of the panel rooms made traffic terrible and stressed out both attendees and staff.

3. How was the convention's final day this compared to before?
Lax in a quiet sort of way. While there was stuff to do, a lot of it was based around Cosplay Chess for main events, or get your last shopping done. The amount of new or interesting sounding panels seemed reduced on day4 as if it were just overflow from everything that didn't fit on day2 or 3.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline UptownOtaku

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 11:29:31 pm »
I personally absolutely LOVED the 4-day change!  It left more room for more panels, which means more variety so there's an even bigger likelihood that there's something for everyone.  I admit that I'm sort of biased, because '13 was only my second con and I only wore one cosplay all the days, whereas '14 was a huge change for me where I had a different cosplay for almost every day and hosted two panels, which was a blast!  But I think it's safe to say that there were a lot of improvements all around.  I'm so glad that they're keeping this 4-day format (although it is, as expected, making the price go up quite a bit)!
Find me on:

Facebook:  Uptown Otaku
Tumblr:  uptownotakucosplay
YouTube:  UptovvnOtaku
Instagram:  uptownotaku
Fanfiction.net:  UptownOtaku
DeviantART:  uptownotaku

Offline fairly_foxy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 01:11:25 pm »
I think the staff were even better. I loved the guest panels. Chuck Huber was a fantastic guest.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 11:45:41 pm »
I think the staff were even better.

I believe the appropriate reply would be...

My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline acton

• Sailor Scout
    • Acton's Hermitage
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 10:45:29 pm »
I liked it but being a work day I will not be able to take Friday off this year.