Author Topic: Autistic Fans Get-together--what did you think?  (Read 5393 times)

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
Autistic Fans Get-together--what did you think?
« on: September 03, 2014, 02:11:21 pm »
What did everyone think? I know people seemed to enjoy it, but there also seemed to be very little exchange of contact info. We all had fun talking, but I was hoping people would be making links at it.

Would you all like it to be back next year?

Offline garfieldelric

• Chibi
    • Garfield's website
Re: Autistic Fans Get-together--what did you think?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 02:14:20 pm »
I was there. I thank everyone I met there......... it really made me feel better in a way. I was diagnosed with Asperger's (re-diagnosed, actually) in mid-March, and coming here made me feel good and better in so many ways. I hope I've made a good impression on those I met @ the panel.

A proud attendee of Kumoricon and SakuraCon.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 02:52:29 pm »
Yeah! Your stand up was great (although a little hard to hear).

I'm glad it made you feel better. I made it with a few specific people in mind (though one of them went to a different con this year), so it was pretty great to see that socialization.

I was diagnosed back in '96 and nobody knew what Asperger's was then, much less HFA, so it was a very difficult journey.

Offline Shiny Marshmallow

• Oni
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 04:04:16 pm »
I know I'm late to answer here, especially that this was posted like right after the con but I did attend that panel & I quite enjoyed it. I too have Asperger's & got diagnosed with it when I was in second grade which was 1999/2000. Somewhere around there. I remember that because that's when they started putting me into a special program that got me out of class for a while & I got to do projects with a teacher on the third floor of the school. She even helped me with my homework.

Anyways, I liked that I got to have a battle with one of the girls there because normally I'm too nervous to battle anyone, even people I know but I felt much more comfortable going up against her. Also, got to see a friend of mine who is a member of the Portland Bronies at this too so that helped improve my experience a lot.

Bringing this back for 2015, I fully support it. I've met many autistic people at cons & ran into others who I know because they are also in the Bronies group here in Portland & I would hope to see some of them again or meet new people. The way I pretty much make new friends now days is through the Portland Bronies & as much as I like that, it would be nice meeting more people outside of that group & getting to know others who probably had similar experiences to me & can understand.

If this is brought back, hopefully I can make it to that again. It was a good time & was quite relaxing compared to the other things I usually do at cons.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 07:41:25 pm »
I am happy to see a get together like this.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 10:21:48 pm by superjaz »
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 08:12:42 pm »
Yay! We're approved for this year again!

Please all come! I'd like to see more mingling too.

Offline AnimeEncyclopedia

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 09:45:52 pm »
no kidding i have asperger's and adhd.

Offline Besieged.Infection

• Cabbit
    • Infection's Notebook
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 12:21:03 am »
It was great, and everyone was so supportive. Especially when I burst into tears. The hugs were the greatest. It's hard to find that level of straight up acceptance elsewhere, and it was great to find a safe space where i could discuss it freely. Made a few friends there, too.
Sakuracon '13: 19th Century Xion (Kingdom Hearts), 18th Century-Style Humanoid Tonberry (Final Fantasy VII), Lilith (Blood Jew'l), and (Female?) Kyouya O. (Ouran.)

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 09:30:23 pm »
Awesome! That's what I want to hear.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 08:21:30 pm »
Not to bump my own thread, but I was wondering if anybody would like to have a further discussion either here or in another thread. I'd like to facilitate some meetups throughout the year as well.

Offline garfieldelric

• Chibi
    • Garfield's website
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 06:31:33 pm »
I really enjoyed this panel. Thank you for having me, BlackjackGabbiani, and I think I may do a panel like this @ SakuraCon.

A proud attendee of Kumoricon and SakuraCon.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 10:32:49 pm »
That'd be great!

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 01:59:36 pm »
I submitted it again for this year, asking for TWO hours this time! I hope it gets approved.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 10:35:57 pm »
...that's a bummer. It wasn't approved for this year and no one has told me why yet. I hope they have a good reason because I know how much it means to everyone.