Author Topic: Trying to get in shape for con?  (Read 4346 times)

Offline BrokenPsyche

• Sailor Scout
    • Tumblr
Trying to get in shape for con?
« on: June 05, 2014, 08:15:01 pm »
Alright, So I know lots of people who cosplay want to get in better shape and just don't know where to start!
So I have actually put together a plan that works really well. (I'm doing it myself.)

If you can, every other day, go to the gym and do 30 minutes cardio (Aka, get your heart pumping with the elliptical, tredmill, stair climb, ect.)
Then, for another 30 minutes, do weights. Don't do heavy weights, but lighter weights. Make it a work out but don't strain yourself. (You can do more time if you like but for beginners, an hour is good.)
If you can't go to a gym, go on a speed walk or for a run around the neighborhood or at your local track.
So do that every other day! Giving a day in between helps your muscles build back up and gives your body time to get itself ready for your next work out.
(Something to keep in mind, is after burn can last up to 48 hours. So, after your work out, your body is still burning fat and calories)

Now every single day, Before bed or whenever you want, do sit-ups. You can start out with doing 50 a night, then go up to 100, then to 150, 200, 250, ect.
You can do it on the floor or on your bed, whichever is less painful for your back. (If you have back problems make sure to do it on a soft surface)

So there you go!
If you want to go the extra mile, always eat a balanced breakfast, and through out the day, have small healthy snacks. Stay away from fast food and junk food 6 days a week, then give yourself one day where you can eat whatever you like to reward yourself for getting so far!!
So that means no chips, chocolates, soda, McD, BK, greasy foods.

It has been working wonderfully for me. Though my goal is to just tone my muscles.

Keeping this up for three for four months is ideal, but if you want to maintain your look and weight, keep at it and continue the routine.
Good luck!!

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
Re: Trying to get in shape for con?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 08:10:54 am »
Why only light weights instead of heavy weights? It has been proven that lifting heavy weights burns more calories and boots your matobolism more than cardio does. Even for women. In fact, women will get the toned look they want by lifting heavy weights over light weights.

When you lift heavy weights your muscle tares (it has to happen to get stronger), and when the muscles repair themselves they burn calories. it can take 24 hours or longer to repair so you are burning calories the whole time like you said. While working out and while they repair. When you do cardio you are only burning calories while your heart rate is elevated. Also, like I said, don't worry about getting huge if you are a woman. It wont happen. But if you want the nice shape to your arms and want that giggle to go away you will need to lift heavier weights. Lift as much as you can in order to do 3 sets of 8 reps.

As your goal to tone your muscles you will not see the results you want by what you are doing. All of these women lift heavy weights in order to get those bodies. Not 20 reps of 5lb (despite one of the pictures showing that, another stupid thing the media does to try to control and tell women how to be sexy),
http://www.fitnessbyandrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/killer-tricep-exercises-for-women.jpg
http://healthlob.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Get-a-Sculpted-Muscle-Toned-Body-a.jpg
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/1558341334_1/wholesale-For-Women-System-ABS-Female-Bottom-font-b-Toner-b-font-Tone-Firm-your-font.jpg

But other than the light weights everything is pretty sound advice. Here is my routine to help show
Monday: 15 minutes of cardio on bike
  • Legs, Back and Biceps:
  • Squats 3x8
  • Deadlifts 3x8
  • Leg Press 3x8
  • lunges 3x8
  • Pull ups (I need to do weight assisted) 3x8
  • Bent over rows 3x8
  • bicep curls 3x8
  • goblet squats 3x8
Tuesday: HIIT training on ellipical
  • Chest, Tri, and shoulders
  • Bench press with Bar
  • Inclined Bench Press with Bar
  • Chest Dips
  • Butterfly (either machine or dumb bells)
  • Tricep pull downs
  • Lateral Raise (Important for the nice curve on your shoulders)
  • Shoulder press (Important for the nice curve on your shoulders)
Wednesday: 30 minutes cardio

Thursday: 15 minutes of cardio on bike
  • Legs, Back and Bicep again
Friday: HIIT training on ellipical
  • Chest, tri, and shoulers
HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training): I do a total of 15 minutes on the elliptical, 2 minute warm up then 15 seconds as fast as I can go and 45 seconds recovery speed, repeat 12 times. Here is another example of HIIT http://www.12minuteathlete.com/high-intensity-interval-training/

Offline EmperorRemus

• Cabbit
Re: Trying to get in shape for con?
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 02:15:57 am »
MODS DELETE POST/DELETE ACCOUNT
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 07:05:35 pm by EmperorRemus »