Author Topic: Candidate Q&A - 2014 Director of Publicity  (Read 3056 times)

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
Candidate Q&A - 2014 Director of Publicity
« on: September 03, 2013, 09:11:18 pm »
This thread is for questions and answers for the candidates for the 2014 Director of Publicity.

Please remember the following when participating in the Q&A threads. The normal forum code of conduct applies, except:

There is a partial exemption to the rule that forum discussion cannot be about a person. You may incorporate personal comments, including praise or criticism, into your election questions and answers, and ensuing discussion, but only regarding candidates who are running for a position, or about another person if it is directly entangled with an issue germane to the outcome of the election. In so doing, you must still exercise standard courtesy, and refrain from profanity, disruption of the discussion, excessive vitriol, and irrelevant comments. Please keep in mind that there will be an opportunity for spoken comments at the elections meeting.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Re: Candidate Q&A - 2014 Director of Publicity
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 08:20:55 am »
Do you have any plans for expanding Kumoricon's name for drawing in more attendees, guests, and businesses?
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline yelloweyedowl

• Sailor Scout
Re: Candidate Q&A - 2014 Director of Publicity
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 09:25:47 pm »
Do you have any plans for expanding Kumoricon's name for drawing in more attendees, guests, and businesses?

We had an increase of over 1000 attendees this year, which is fantastic! It also puts us in an interesting position. As many people are quick to note, we’re close to outgrowing our space. I don’t think our current location could manage another large attendance increase in 2014.

So that brings up the question: what is publicity’s purpose as a department for the 2014 convention year? Well, just because we aren't aiming for another huge increase in attendees this year doesn't mean I plan to scale black or cut out outreach events. Quite the contrary. Last year we had booths at 10 events, and this year I have identified even more local and out-of-town events that I want us to attend.

That being said, I think the publicity department needs to have another focus for outreach events this year: getting more staff. We had a huge attendee increase this year, but roughly the same number of staff as last year. Needless to say, that left us stretched thin and stressed out. With the move to 4 days next year it’s more important than ever to expand our staff base. And recruiting staff from other events is a great way to do just that. I can’t count the number of times I had volunteers from other events ask me about getting involved with Kumoricon, and I’m sure there are many more out there. We need to focus on reaching out to them and growing our staff base if we are going to survive Kumoricon 2014 with our sanity (mostly) intact.

Now, to address the other parts of your question I want to take a step back and look at what the publicity department’s general focus is.  Simply put, publicity is focused on communicating with the attendees; we’re the mouth piece for the con. Publicity goes to events, answers questions and makes announcements via social media, manages the website, puts together the con books and is charge of media coverage by our staff and outside press. We also work very closely with the relations department, whose job includes getting guests and industry to attend Kumoricon. We attend a lot of the same events and conventions as relations, but we have different focuses. Apart from continuing to do what we're doing and make connections, I defer to the relations department on the specifics of getting guests and businesses to attend Kumoricon. While we work closely together, it’s important to understand where the lines are drawn and be there to support the other department in their vision.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 11:08:06 pm by yelloweyedowl »