Author Topic: 2013 Cosplay Contest NEEDS MORE SKITS! (Walkon/costume nearly full)  (Read 5169 times)

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
Woza, I received a TON of applications this week. Here are the counts as they stand today (8/6)

34 Entries (62 people)

Costume judging:
        Groups    /    Individuals
youth        0    /    1
Novice        3    /    14
Intermediate    2    /    4
Journeyman    0    /    0
Master        1    /    2

Total: 27 !!!!! <-- filling up too fast :o

Performances:
        Dance     /    Regular    /     Walk-on
Youth        1    /    1    /    1
Novice        4    /    2    /    12
Intermediate    3    /    3    /    4
Journeyman    0    /    0    /    0
Master        0    /    1    /    2

8 Dance skits
7 Regular Skits
19 Walk-ons

There's PLENTY of room for skit entries!
Remember: there are NO restrictions on costumes for skits! Skit entries are eligible to win free tickets to Kumoricon 2014!

Walk-on entries are "walk on, take a bow, leave stage". They do NOT have music or talking or anything beyond  "walk on, take a bow, leave stage". Anything that is beyond  "walk on, take a bow, leave stage", is a SKIT and should be entered as such. Skits are NOT hollywood productions - they can be very short (as short as =a walk-on, in fact). So consider "upgrading" from walk-on to skit!! More chances to win.

Also, given the distribution, if there are any people entered as novice who have had some experience (entered in previous year) I'd recommend trying Intermediate division since there is far less competition in that division.  :)

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
Re: 2013 Cosplay Contest NEEDS MORE SKITS! (Walkon/costume nearly full)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 07:16:11 am »
got one more novice costume walk-on entry today...
That makes it:
8 Dance skits
7 Regular Skits
20 Walk-ons

Remember: there are NO restrictions on costumes for skits! Skit entries are eligible to win free tickets to Kumoricon 2014!

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 04:41:07 pm »
I'm working on a skit right now, so that'll be in to you when I decide how the lighting cues will work. Unless, of course, lighting cues aren't as important as having the thing submitted.

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 08:23:25 am »
You've got plenty of time to figure out lighting cues...

There's a "Tech Form" on the Contests page (https://www.kumoricon.org/files/forms/2013/cosplay_2013_tech_form.docx or PDF = https://www.kumoricon.org/files/forms/2013/cosplay_2013_tech_form_fillable.pdf ) - enter your lighting cue information in that and bring it to the Tech rehearsal along with your soundtrack (I don't handle the tech stuff, and I'm an expert as mis-placing papers so don't hand it to me  :o )  I bet they'd be thrilled if you filled it out electronically and printed it (avoids the "I can't read your handwriting" issue)

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 06:03:58 pm »
Holy cow! This is the largest set of Pre-Convention entries I've seen....

It's highly probable that I may have to tell anyone who wants to sign up for costume workmanship at convention that they'll be on standby (skits still have some "breathing" room, but WOW :o we've got a good number of great entries so far)

45 Entries (84 people)

Costume judging:
        Groups    /    Individuals
youth        0    /    1
Novice        3    /    16
Intermediate    2    /    3
Journeyman    0    /    1
Master        1    /    3

Total: 30 !!!!! <-- VERY close to the cap :o if I allow too many more, we'll have to shorten judging time.

Performances:
               Dance     /    Regular    /     Walk-on
Youth              1    /    2    /    1
Novice            4    /    5    /    13
Intermediate  4    /    8    /    4
Journeyman    0    /    0    /    0
Master            0    /    1    /    2

09 Dance skits  ;D
16 Regular Skits  ;D
20 Walk-ons  ;D

What's this? We FINALLY have skits outnumbering walk-ons.   

Offline Spontaneous

• Sailor Scout
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 12:59:49 pm »
I was wondering if you could clarify the judging criteria. Are regular skits judged against dance skits and walk-ons or do they each have their own set of awards?
Day 1: Natalia Lanvaldear
Day 2: Mikasa Ackerman
Day 3: Maya Fey

tumblr
deviantart

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 05:21:35 pm »
IIRC dance skits and regular skits are judged separately, hence the distinction between the two categories.

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 02:57:17 pm »
I was wondering if you could clarify the judging criteria. Are regular skits judged against dance skits and walk-ons or do they each have their own set of awards?

Walk-ons are NOT judged (for "performance"). Costume entries not associated with a skit are judged during the costume construction judging & winners will have been decided (and list sent up to Programming) just before anyone actually goes on stage.

Dance skits are judges based upon dance criteria such as choreography, and regular skits are judged on acting criteria such as cleverness of dialogue. We separated them because people complained that they believed they should be judged differently (which they always were, but this puts a marker in the sand for anyone who's wondering). Judging is separate from prizes - that is we judge/score entries based exactly upon the category  (regular vs dance) and level (Youth, novice, intermediate, journeyman, master). Prizes are awarded based upon the judges' decisions and logic - no one gets an "automatic win" just because that group is the only entrant in a particular category. Last year, the judges tossed out the traditional level groupings and fabricated a series of awards that best fit the set of entries we received. It's very fluid since we don't know what the entries will be until after we've seen them all. The same method will be used this year - you will be judged based upon the dance vs regular performance criteria while factoring in your entry level (youth, novice, intermediate, journeyman, master). The prizes will be determined after all the scores have been tallied and the judges have picked a set of winning candidates.

Offline Spontaneous

• Sailor Scout
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 12:20:31 am »
Thank you for clarifying! Also, I have another question ^^;

On the rules it says skits cannot exceed 3 minutes and 30 seconds, but I'm pretty sure that last year there were skits that went over that time limit. How strictly enforced is this rule? Right now our skit is about 3 minutes and 40 seconds so will we have to shorten it down even further in order to preform?
Day 1: Natalia Lanvaldear
Day 2: Mikasa Ackerman
Day 3: Maya Fey

tumblr
deviantart

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 08:27:24 am »
Actually, none of the skits exceeded the time limit....but some went on much longer than they should have.

We do occasionally allow a skit to be slightly longer, and we won't kick you out for going over the time limit but doing so will lower your score and likely prevent your skit from winning anything.

Careful editing makes a great skit - so do your best to keep the length well within the time limit. I'm sure you can tighten it up.

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 09:31:24 am »
I'm not going to do the breakdown by level this time, but as of Friday (Day 0) we have:

91 people; 50 total entries   :o
----
11 Dance skits
18 Regular skits
21 Walkons
----
8 Group costume
25 Individual Costume