Author Topic: Fanfiction Bedtime Stories 2012 [Approved!]  (Read 2546 times)

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
Fanfiction Bedtime Stories 2012 [Approved!]
« on: August 24, 2012, 05:54:02 pm »
For those not aware (especially those who don't usually haunt the Fan Creation subforums), one of the longest-running panels in Kumoricon history will be celebrating its ninth year at Kumoricon 2012!

The Fanfiction Bedtime Stories were created by the lovely Rem Saverem and myself all the way back in 2004, in response to a claim from a friend that fanfiction would "never" have its own following at cons because "you can't enjoy it in large groups the way you can watch an AMV or a cosplay skit".  We begged to differ, and came up with a late-night panel where sleepy congoers could relax and listen to live dramatic readings of the best fanfiction in the Pacific Northwest!

So, how does it work?  It's simple enough - just a panel room, some comfy chairs, a microphone, and a karaoke-style signup list.  Anyone can sign up to read their work, or the work of a friend, aloud to the other attendees. (In the past, we have sometimes been able to connect a staff laptop to the hotel wireless to enable story lookup, but - alas - this is never guaranteed.   We recommend Being Prepared and bringing your own readable resource, just in case.) And with a maximum time limit in place, no story will outstay its welcome and everyone will have a chance to shine.  Of course, all authors are welcome to write links to their stories on our whiteboard, so that hooked listeners can find the rest of the tale!  "To Be Continued...!"

So if you love a good bedtime story, and/or great fanfic, don't forget to swing through our panel on Sunday night after the cosplay skits are done!  And if you're a writer yourself, bring along your laptop, smartphone, or a printout, and wow the world with your literary prowess!  Pajamas, blankets, and pillows are optional, but definitely encouraged.

So, who can we look forward to seeing there?   ;)

KUMORICON 2014: BEST. CON. EVER! LET'S DO IT ALL AGAIN IN 2015!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Re: Fanfiction Bedtime Stories 2012 [Approved!]
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 10:26:07 pm »
I'm planning on coming to this!  I aim to write a quick little something between now and then, so that I can contribute once again.  (I have yet to pick what to write about, though...)
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 11:17:01 pm »
A lot of the best readings we've ever had were stories written right there at the FFBS, so there's really no limit on how new a work can be.  ♥  Can't wait to see you there!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 02:25:19 pm »
Yay! I love that every year, we have a fond mix of event veterans and those new to the event. Couldn't be more excited! <3 Love to all.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 07:18:54 am »
Sorry that I couldn't stick around.  A lack of sleep, plus the mother of my baby not feeling well, led me to wish to go home.  Oh, and not having something to contribute this year...  (I'm gonna be busting some stories out like crazy for this next con; TENTH ANNIVERSARY NEXT YEAR!!!)

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 12:21:39 pm »
No worries!  ♥  We missed you, but sleep and moms are very important.  It was great to see you at Filk It Up!   ;D

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 04:33:03 pm »
Thanks! That was actually my first ever filk-related panel, so it was a splendid experience. I'll try to write something more in depth next time, and hopefully (at least) one story for this one!

Offline tipsyGnostalgic

• Oni
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 06:03:05 pm »
I went to this my first year at con! It was so much fun, i will definitely be there this year! Can't wait!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 08:26:05 pm »
YAY! That makes me happy to read. FilkAeris, are you intending Saturday night again, for FFBS's decade anniversary?
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).