Author Topic: Monthly Otaku Outings in Portland/Vancouver  (Read 5285 times)

Offline Oniurufu

• Sailor Scout
Monthly Otaku Outings in Portland/Vancouver
« on: January 31, 2012, 01:15:10 pm »
I've noticed lately that there's not enough meet-ups where Otakus can get together and hang-out, do stuff, and possibly make some new friends. So I've been thinking of starting a once a month meet-up in the Portland/Vancouver area. We could work out near the beginning of the month when would be a good day to do it that month and what to do, as while as deciding the location for that month.

So it's not really a for sure thing but I wanted to post this on here to see how many people would be interested in this. I know that I personally wish there was more times when I could hang out with all the cool people I only get to see for a few days at con.  :D

So anyway what are everybody's thoughts on this?

Offline Manganix78

• Catgirl
Re: Monthly Otaku Outings in Portland/Vancouver
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 01:45:58 pm »
Well, I need somewhere where I can actually try and sell some of my anime merchandise. It also depends on where, what time and what day these meetings take place.

Offline Tsukinya

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 02:24:26 pm »
I'd be interested in hanging out.  I'm also game for the more mature gatherings (Ground Kontrol, happy hours, etc).  I'm always looking for more ways to sate my anime hunger! :)

Offline Oniurufu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 05:15:59 pm »
Well, I need somewhere where I can actually try and sell some of my anime merchandise. It also depends on where, what time and what day these meetings take place.
I think that it would be nice to let people who want to swap anime gear or sell it do it at the meet-ups, I've seen stuff that I've wanted to buy that people have been selling in the manga swap meet thread but time and location has always been a problem. So I think it's a great idea  :D. And as for the day and place I figured that having it be flexible and just figuring out each month when would be a good time for the majority of the people interested.

I'd be interested in hanging out.  I'm also game for the more mature gatherings (Ground Kontrol, happy hours, etc).  I'm always looking for more ways to sate my anime hunger! :)
Well I hope that this would be a way to get more of your otaku fill  ;D. Unfortunately I personally am not old enough to go to bars(only going to be 18 in may), but I think that a lot of people would like a mature group of people to hang with and talk about all things anime   ;D

Offline Manganix78

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 07:30:26 pm »
I think that it would be nice to let people who want to swap anime gear or sell it do it at the meet-ups, I've seen stuff that I've wanted to buy that people have been selling in the manga swap meet thread but time and location has always been a problem. So I think it's a great idea  :D. And as for the day and place I figured that having it be flexible and just figuring out each month when would be a good time for the majority of the people interested.

Well I hope that this would be a way to get more of your otaku fill  ;D. Unfortunately I personally am not old enough to go to bars(only going to be 18 in may), but I think that a lot of people would like a mature group of people to hang with and talk about all things anime   ;D

YAY!!  ;D Let me know what happens!!

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 07:33:55 pm »
We have been doing monthly photo shoots for a few months now. We have two planed in Feb. One is Feb 11 http://www.facebook.com/#!/events/172713356167158/
and we are also going to Mt Hood for pictures at the end of the month.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 07:34:08 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline Oniurufu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 12:13:40 pm »
We have been doing monthly photo shoots for a few months now. We have two planed in Feb. One is Feb 11 http://www.facebook.com/#!/events/172713356167158/
and we are also going to Mt Hood for pictures at the end of the month.
I like the idea of photo shoots(never been able to go one myself), what else do you end up doing there besides the shoot, if you don't mind me asking?

Offline nekovamp13

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 12:34:29 pm »
We just kinda hang out. I mean a lot of us are just good friends so we do some photos and just have fun. And after sometimes we go to eat or just hang at the mall or something.
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline Oniurufu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 01:08:02 pm »
We just kinda hang out. I mean a lot of us are just good friends so we do some photos and just have fun. And after sometimes we go to eat or just hang at the mall or something.
Ahh I see, I was thinking more along the lines of group events, so not exclusive to just photo shoots. I was thinks of things like picnics, cosplay chess, going to the movies, hanging out at the mall, and photo shoots as while. Have you guys posted about the photo shoot on the forum? Cause I know a lot of people want more stuff to do in between cons. On a side not I do love your guys photo shoot and I'd like to come if I have the time  :D

Offline DSaturn

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 10:43:20 am »
I would love a day where we all just hangout. I like the photoshoot ideas that others have been doing, but I don't have Cosplays available at the moment, so it would be a bust for me. Doing something where it's just a bunch of us hanging out would be awesome. Besides, then maybe I could get more of my book filled out.
Kumoricon 2013 The Phoenix Down Slackers will be cosplaying:

Offline maydrock

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 09:03:09 pm »
big als is a great place to hang out

Offline LittleKarasu

• Sailor Scout
    • facebook
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 07:55:38 am »
i think it would be fun to hang out, i am always looking for more anime friends, we can go to the mall and geek out.  We can even go to craft stores and help each other with cosplaying ideas and problems.   
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Offline Pixie

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 08:26:31 am »
i think it would be fun to hang out, i am always looking for more anime friends, we can go to the mall and geek out.  We can even go to craft stores and help each other with cosplaying ideas and problems.   
I like that Idea, especially since there are those who do not know their way around a sewing machine very well.
*puts sunglasses on*
It's up to us, the sewing savvy, to teach them!  For the greater good... of of COSPLAY!
HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME OF BEING NORMAL!!!!
I am weird and proud of it. The concept of "blending in" scares me.

Kumoricon 2013 Cosplays:
Dragonite (Pokemon)
Medusa (Soul Eater)
Fluttershy (My Little Pony)

Offline DSaturn

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 11:05:59 am »
Lmao... the one skill i'm most grateful for my great grandma giving me before I ever even knew what anime meant is the ability to sew.

It's really too bad we lost Anime Asylum. That place would have been perfect for this.
Kumoricon 2013 The Phoenix Down Slackers will be cosplaying:

Offline Oniurufu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 08:43:16 pm »
Well I think that enough people are interested in this to actually try and make the first meet-up happen, so When is everybody free for a March meet up?  ;D

Offline Manganix78

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 09:12:34 pm »
Well I think that enough people are interested in this to actually try and make the first meet-up happen, so When is everybody free for a March meet up?  ;D

Let me see here, the only day that I believe some people may be free could be the March monthly meeting, other than that I don't know.

Offline Spontaneous

• Sailor Scout
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 10:41:00 pm »
I love this idea, I honestly feel a little isolated at my school (in regards to anime/manga)
I think a lot of schools have spring break at the end of March (mine starts on the last week) so somewhere in the middle perhaps?
Day 1: Natalia Lanvaldear
Day 2: Mikasa Ackerman
Day 3: Maya Fey

tumblr
deviantart

Offline Oniurufu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 10:37:06 pm »
Ok so I'm pumped from the cosplay meet-up I went to today, I met some pretty awesome people. Now when is everybody who like to go available for March's meet-up?

Offline Manganix78

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 10:42:54 pm »
Ok so I'm pumped from the cosplay meet-up I went to today, I met some pretty awesome people. Now when is everybody who like to go available for March's meet-up?

Depends on the day and the time. Are u saying that you went with us to our meetup? If so, who were you?

Offline Oniurufu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 10:51:18 pm »
I wasn't cosplaying I had the FLCL shirt on and the kingdom hearts necklace and bag