Author Topic: So I really liked the con space, how about y'all?  (Read 5362 times)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
So I really liked the con space, how about y'all?
« on: September 05, 2011, 05:41:25 pm »
With the park, and the market going on, the 2 hotels to spread about, I think it worked well together, and made thing really mello, and less crowed.

I esp liked going to the farmers market getting lunch and having a little nosh in the park

What did you like about the lay out?

*Note walk between the two hotels space still :p but not terrible, and yes I know we all want a bigger dealers room this is about how it worked for you what did you like?*
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 05:58:19 pm by superjaz »
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
Re: So I really liked the con space, how about y'all?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 06:03:36 pm »
i LOVED the con space this year. the park was amazing, the layout of both hotels were easy to navigate, and the staff of the hotels were nice! I really REALLY want the con to be there again. I actually expected the walk between the hotels to be longer but it wasn't bad! [except in the heels i was wearing for Raichu XD] My best con yet!!!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 06:13:54 pm by Tanuki19 »

Offline sinnickson

• Cabbit
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 06:05:07 pm »
I LOVED IT.

Offline childofthemoor

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 06:06:09 pm »
I really liked it, too (for all the same reasons the original post stated). However, I wish there had been a big, centralized lobby like at the Portland Hilton or the Doubletree.
'09 Yuna (Songstress), Lust
'10 Toph (Fire Nation)
'11 Suki (Kyoshi Warrior)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 06:07:23 pm »
^ True

Also so yes about the hotel staff!! They were so nice and helpful! Also market had cotton candy!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 06:07:59 pm by superjaz »

Offline ScrumYummy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 06:07:40 pm »
I liked the space for the most part, but I was really disappointed in the size of the dealer's room and the artist's alley. A con this large should have bigger space for such things. Especially the artist alley; I always look forward to getting fanart and buttons there, but it was such a small selection, and very crowded/hard to move in most of the time. The dealer's room also had major congestion issues.

The hilton was nice, and the layout was easy enough to navigate. I liked the size of the event rooms, although some of the panel rooms were kind of small and/or crowded. The hilton staff was super-nice.

So I guess I wouldn't mind the con being there again, but I hope that they do something different with the AA and dealer's room.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 06:09:19 pm »
It was perfect! I loved the conspace, the way things were spread between two hotels really helped cut down on crowding. The Hilton is nice and spacious, there was always somewhere to go, there was breathing room. The park also being so close was wonderful. The area was also a cosplayer's dream, with an array of photo shoot locations spread all around the con space. Also, I myself didn't mind the walk between the two hotels. I thought they were actually closer together than I was expecting. Though of course I can understand how for some it would still be a little undesirable.

I just loved everything. I said it in 2007 and I'll repeat it now. I love the Vancouver conspace. This year was the best for me personally. Everything just worked. Really, really well.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 06:16:13 pm »
Just made a review thread that covered it slightly

but yeah I really liked it. I had a lot of fun. 07 was my second Con so it brought back memories and I knew the area well already. I had a lot of fun and really enjoyed myself and the park was PERFECT. It's my second favorite location we've been to (Double tree being first)
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline april_22

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 06:22:22 pm »
It was alright.

The only complaint I have is that they didn't schedule some of the big events right and with lines starting for three different panels/raves starting within 30 mins of it's self...  That hallways was dangerously packed.

But yes, overall it was a very nice location.

I do however like the overall feel of last years hotel more.  More casual, more comforting just more...  Cozy. This one didn't feel like that.
http://moongazer22.deviantart.com
|| Kumoricon '11 - Fai Flowright || Kumoricon '12 - Unknown ||

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 07:12:06 pm »

I adore this spot and hope they never leave. The first time the convention was held there was the most fun I have ever had at a con. This year was even better.

The hotel rooms were no where near the top of my list but the lobby is very nice, the hotel had the foresight to create a cheap menu for us and with such a wonderful park and the farmers market, the hotel is of very little consequence anyway.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 07:27:59 pm »
It was alright.

The only complaint I have is that they didn't schedule some of the big events right and with lines starting for three different panels/raves starting within 30 mins of it's self...  That hallways was dangerously packed.

But yes, overall it was a very nice location.

I do however like the overall feel of last years hotel more.  More casual, more comforting just more...  Cozy. This one didn't feel like that.
I've never heard that opinion about the last hotel before. Huh, interesting. I actually felt more comforted and homey in this hotel as opposed to the last Hilton were staff were always bugging me to move along.

TheifKingsHier: I agree with this post. Last K con I went to I spent nearly all my time in my room since I was not enjoying the rest of the con as much. This time I think I just crashed in there to sleep and would be gone all day, though I thought the rooms were comfortable and I really enjoyed myself. I like that the hotel seemed to accommodate for us and the farmers market was really great. That shaved ice!

Offline EmAino

• Chibi
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 07:32:54 pm »
First of all, thank GOD the waiter at the Hilton restaurant didn't know what he was talking about when he said that we'd be back at the downtown Portland Hilton next year due to the hotels flip-flopping every other year. I was hoping against hope that he was misinformed. LOL.

I REALLY liked the layout this year (even though, in some of my cosplay shoes, the walk back and forth was a pain in the butt).  The park more than made up for it as it was fun to just chill there and people watch.

The only thing I would change is to move the dealer's room into a bigger facility. Felt a little claustrophobic in there at times.
Sakuracon 2014
Kyoko Sakura - Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Yugito Nii - Naruto Shippuden
Sailor Jupiter - Sailor Moon

Kumoricon
God Tier Jane Crocker - Homestuck
Sailor Jupiter - Sailor Moon
Kyoko Sakura - Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Komachi Onozuka - Touhou

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 07:38:26 pm »
I REALLY liked the layout this year (even though, in some of my cosplay shoes, the walk back and forth was a pain in the butt).  The park more than made up for it as it was fun to just chill there and people watch.

I seriously loved how you could just chill and the park and people watch to your heart's desire when you wanted down time from walking everywhere. I am forever in love with that park. I love how it had so many different elements for pictures like the trees, playground, fountain, clock tower, etc.

Offline GaaraoftheFunk

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 07:54:22 pm »
Yep. Keep it here.
The park is amazing for several reasons.
Its better then being cooped up in hotels or on unfamiliar roads just..walking.

Offline Zensuke

• Chibi
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 08:00:33 pm »
Yeah I also really liked this location. The farmers market and park were great and the hotel felt MUCH less crowded.

I recall the last couple years there being complaints about the hotel staff and this year my personal experience with the staff was excellent. I even got talking to one of them and he commented on how most groups they get are all stiff shirts and he wished they could all be like us, which i think says volumes about both the staff there and our group as a whole.

My only real complaint was, like some others here, the size of the dealers hall and artist alley.  

Offline Okitaru

• Oni
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 08:16:26 pm »
I really liked it, but this is only my second year, so I can't say much in comparison.

The great weather and the park being just across the street made the weekend wonderful.
I'll be looking forward to the next year to be there once again.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 09:04:57 pm »
To be honest, I don't really like this location. I don't hate it, it's just not my favorite. The con seemed so much smaller to me than last year, like I was seeing the same cosplayers over and over again as opposed to running into new people. I was personally hoping and excited to hear about being somewhere new.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 10:02:52 pm »
Kimiski, I agree. It did seem smaller, but I've got to say, this was WAY better than the PDX Hilton. That place was snooty-booty. I hated it. This, while spread out, had so many people in a very wide area. There was a lot of great, easy places to eat (Little Italy's and O Shanskys were so delicious and affordable), and the only complaint I have is that Uwajimaya and Kinokuniya's location near the exit was a bad idea. It bottled necked the exit in a way that was most annoying and extremely difficult to leave. I'm thinking that if it's placed in the front where Funimation was, that would give it more space. At the very least, Uwajimaya could spread out along a wall rather than being crammed at the very end.

Over all: Loved it loved it loved it. I can't wait for next year.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 10:31:05 pm »
I wish there was more food around, but the special menu for con was a godsend. So much cheaper than the normal menu!

This was the only time I've ever walked across the street and realized that it smelled WORSE outside the convention than inside. Bravo Hilton HVAC technology!

Looking forward to next year. Thinking about getting a 3rd floor suit so I can have a pimpin' balcony.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 11:14:03 pm »
I love seeing how many people enjoyed the con this year. Glad to know I wasn't the only one having a ball and living it up.

That said...anyone have any OxFest horror stories to share? (OxFest was that hick-plague that descended on Esther Short Park on Monday.)

All I know is what I experienced, and what I experienced was group after group of these boonie-born "normal people" muttering "freaks" and other expletive, derogatory cliches as they passed by my few friends in the park.

Now, I'm no n00b to criticism and stupid hate, but I just thought it was really...disgusting. The entire festival...thing...whatever it was that basically drove the majority of con attendees indoors, was really unpleasant. In a matter of minutes the park was filled with cigarette smoke and leering disdain.

I actually came to the realization that it was OxFest's type of people that I come to con to get away from, lol.

So, yeah...whatever that crap was...no sir, I didn't like it.

But that is in no way related to the con or even the con space, really. I had a blast this weekend and love the the venue. But that festival made the park about as pleasant to be around as an overflowing septic tank.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 11:14:37 pm by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Trimble

• Oni
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2011, 11:18:44 pm »
This is my second year at kumoricon, but I gotta say I was more fond of this place then I was at the Portland location. I liked the trip between the hotels because it felt like we saw more cosplayers. Still I think I spent more time around the park and the hilton then I did in the Red Lion. The artist alley was super cramped and I remember being afraid I was going to knock over things because I couldn't manuever in Taokaka. It seemed like the parking garage at the hilton had space to spare, but I guess with the registration there, it'd be hard to make sure people didn't sneak in? Anyway, the park really won it for me. The only thing I'd be worried about is if it rained super hard next year and the park was too muddy--it might overcrowed the smaller hotel lobbies here. The music festival kind of showed what happened if the park was offlimits for any reason.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2011, 11:20:21 pm »
I love seeing how many people enjoyed the con this year. Glad to know I wasn't the only one having a ball and living it up.

That said...anyone have any OxFest horror stories to share? (OxFest was that hick-plague that descended on Esther Short Park on Monday.)

All I know is what I experienced, and what I experienced was group after group of these boonie-born "normal people" muttering "freaks" and other expletive, derogatory cliches as they passed by my few friends in the park.

Now, I'm no n00b to criticism and stupid hate, but I just thought it was really...disgusting. The entire festival...thing...whatever it was that basically drove the majority of con attendees indoors, was really unpleasant. In a matter of minutes the park was filled with cigarette smoke and leering disdain.

I actually came to the realization that it was OxFest's type of people that I come to con to get away from, lol.

So, yeah...whatever that crap was...no sir, I didn't like it.

But that is in no way related to the con or even the con space, really. I had a blast this weekend and love the the venue. But that festival made the park about as pleasant to be around as an overflowing septic tank.

I had to leave at around noon, mondays always just check out day for me, mind me asking for more details? I saw the thing as I was leaving but I had no idea what was going on.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2011, 11:34:05 pm »
I checked out about 2:00pm, but the nature of the event is as much a mystery to me as it is to you, heh. I am assuming it was some sort of music festival. There were bands playing on the gazebo/stage, and tents and booths spread around the grassy area, complete with what looked like a motorcycle show (a bunch of motorcycles collected in an area on display).

It was just a pretty rude crowd that the event seemed to pull out of the woodwork.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Spontaneous

• Sailor Scout
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2011, 11:40:42 pm »
I checked out about 2:00pm, but the nature of the event is as much a mystery to me as it is to you, heh. I am assuming it was some sort of music festival. There were bands playing on the gazebo/stage, and tents and booths spread around the grassy area, complete with what looked like a motorcycle show (a bunch of motorcycles collected in an area on display).

It was just a pretty rude crowd that the event seemed to pull out of the woodwork.

I looked it up, Oxfest is apparently a celebration for people who overcame addictions (I'm assuming to drugs)
Day 1: Natalia Lanvaldear
Day 2: Mikasa Ackerman
Day 3: Maya Fey

tumblr
deviantart

Offline Ichi_Kagetora

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2011, 11:48:46 pm »
Coolest hotel staff ever. They made Kumo ten times more enjoyable by being the best bros ever...the guy at check in at the red lion put up with so much crap from us at night...
When I am chasing my tail and catch my back leg instead, I will not bite down on my foot. This hurts, and my scream scares my human.

"Princess Yue doesn't need Appa: she's the moon, she can fly by herself."

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2011, 11:49:13 pm »
Hey everyone I'm safelyt home from the con. And I personally give the hotel and convention this year a VERY BIG thumbs up. The dealer room was kind of cramped but overall it was a wonderful con and will definitely be getting aroom at the Hilton next year at the first oppurtunity. And the bistro Grey's at the Park was delicious. I actually had a cheesburger and fries there and it was very tasty. So this year the con space was excellent and I look forward excitedly to next year.
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline Ichi_Kagetora

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2011, 11:50:23 pm »
I really liked it, too (for all the same reasons the original post stated). However, I wish there had been a big, centralized lobby like at the Portland Hilton or the Doubletree.

I agree, it made people a LOT easier to find...I'M LOOKING AT YOU CHILD OF THE MOOR.
When I am chasing my tail and catch my back leg instead, I will not bite down on my foot. This hurts, and my scream scares my human.

"Princess Yue doesn't need Appa: she's the moon, she can fly by herself."

izamor

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2011, 03:48:19 am »
This is my first ever con, so I completely understand if you skip my post. :P

Overall I loved the layout. Never felt too rushed or crowded - except the dealers hall like some of you guys already mentioned.
Having the con in 2 hotels was both great, and a bit of a downer. If you didn't notice, I walked around the con a ton. (That dude in the white military uniform)
Took a lot of pictures and was relieved that I didn't have to stay in the same area all day. Every time I walked to the Red Lion, I found some new cosplayers.
But on the flip side, there were a handful of cosplayers I never saw since they spent all day playing card games or something.

With Oxfest, I talked to a handful of people while they were setting up. A group asked me if they had the right spot and what was going on.
Had a nice chat, went on our way. But a couple hours later there was cigarettes everywhere - so the park was suddenly off-limits for me.
Any idea if they're having it again next year? Is it an annual event?

Offline mayora-13

• Cabbit
    • Bakaiser deviantART Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2011, 04:11:49 am »
I agree with most of what everyone is saying.
The con was quite small compared to last year's, especially the vendor's room!! I didn't find anything I wanted to buy. I guess I got spoiled by the massive Fanime-con down in San Jose lol. The staff was a lot more friendly though!! The hotel staff at last year's Kumoricon in Portland were really strict.

Offline Havilah

• Cabbit
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2011, 09:13:52 am »
Vendor's room was extremely tiny. We walked in there and said, "whoa, this is it?" I bought a few little trinkets at the jewelry booth, but there wasn't anything special overall, really, and it was difficult to shop in such crowded areas in a costume. We spent about thirty minutes in there on Sunday and did not feel compelled to return. We actually didn't even visit the Artist's Alley because we figured it was tiny as well. :P

That being said, I absolutely LOVE the venue! I loved that most of the cosplayers who were outdoors could be found at Esther Short, rather than at the Portland Hilton where everyone is spread out over several parks and memorials in the area. The park was a fantastic place to have lunch and relax, especially with the farmer's market going on next door because food was readily available as well. There were a variety of locations for photoshoots very close to the con, and finding parking wasn't bad for us either (which was important because we stayed at the Comfort Inn and had to drive back and forth.)

Lines for various events were really not bad. The staff did a pretty good job directing people, keeping them out of the way and especially out of the sun even when the lines were outside. Once the event actually opened the lines moved very quickly. I also really appreciated the water stations placed inside the hotel and in the parking garage! That was a fantastic thing that took a lot of stress out of it for us. (Let's face it, it was hot, and readily available water kept us from having to carry a ton of water bottles.)

Mmm... Oxfest was irritating to me, but not a deal-breaker. We walked around through their setup about noon and got some looks, but no rude comments or anything. The cigarettes were the worst part of it. Folks sitting around smoking chased me out of several areas because I was wearing an antique kimono and was terrified it would get ruined.

We had a bit of a bother with random drunk hobos, but they were friendly random drunk hobos and we had a laugh about them later, even though one of them was trying to hit on my mother. Best advice I have ever received from a hobo: "You gotta be who you are!"
Overall the atmosphere was relaxed and we felt safe and welcome. We are already looking forward to Kumoricon 2012!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2011, 10:02:37 am »
Wow now I feel a little stupid, my mom mentioned something about this like Saturday when she called to wish me a happy birthday, but I was in con staff blitz mode.

It was 2 events the hands across the bridge, which my mom mentioned another celebrate being drug free, and it partnered with ox-fest.

But yeah that would have been something nice to know ahead of time, I was at closing event, did they say we are coming back here next year?  If so maybe we can get a listing of park events ahead of time.

And sorry smokers but yuck, I hate cig smoke, and I know people gotta smoke some where but I guess I am oregonian enough to think it shouldn't be in the park? *yes I know I sound crazy* I do love the fact I live in a smoke free apartment complex.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2011, 10:50:58 am »
I really enjoyed being back at the same place we were at in 2007. It was a nice refresher location. I also liked how the Artist's Alley was set up and the main Hilton. I only wish they had been able to put the dealers room in a bigger room or had rearranged the halls because even though they were wide when no one was in there, it was very hard getting through the booths to get to the tiny exit in that back corner.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2011, 11:18:25 am »
I'm going to play Devil's Advocate for a bit. Please seriously consider this.

While I also hate cigarettes, I know that sometimes people use this to battling cravings for other addictions. Basically fighting an addiction with an addiction. The biggest difference is that you can live a normal life with cigarettes that you can't with drugs and alcohol. I think it's awesome that that fest was about overcoming addiction. It might explain why they were so cranky about cosplayers, too. When you're finally getting your life back on track, things that pop up and remind you of your addiction can cause extremely negative reactions. Besides, if they booked the park in advance, I would be a bit irritated to find that it was taken over by something else, too. Not all cosplayers have good behavior, either. I don't like screaming so it's tough to be in certain places when it's nothing but squeals. We haven't been in this location since '07, and they could have started the event at that park since '08. Three years would be a long time to get established at a location and think it a calm venue.

I say as best you can, let it fall like water off your back and hold your head up high. This is your life, and you express yourself the way you want and move on from anyone who looks at you cockeyed or mutters insults. Focusing on it ruins the event. Also realize that a park is a public place, and while you are public, so are the parents with their children in the fountain, the couples on shopping trips at Starbucks, and the people celebrating their victories in their struggle over addiction.

Maybe next year it would be easier to move the Vendors hall into the ballroom where Artist Alley was, move Artist Alley to the Vendor's Hall location, and then separate the gaming rooms near the lobby? I loved how the events were at the Hilton and the Vendors and sit down things were at the Red Lion. I think that worked out REALLY well, but maybe some rearranging would help next year.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2011, 11:55:30 am »
Oh yeah, I have to mention that one day I got back to my room at the Hilton as the maid was cleaning. We chatted a bit and I found out that she was a recovering WoW addict! Now that is a whole different kind of geeky maid!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2011, 11:58:48 am »
Oh yeah, I have to mention that one day I got back to my room at the Hilton as the maid was cleaning. We chatted a bit and I found out that she was a recovering WoW addict! Now that is a whole different kind of geeky maid!

Pfffftttt. That's amazing. The nice barista at Starbucks was a total nerd, too. I don't know if any of you got to talk to him, but he wanted to be at the con so bad. Instead he was ringing up people as baristas furiously blended coffees on one blender behind him. The other blender broke :( You guys broke a Starbucks blender and caused them to run out of ice.

As a Starbucks employee, that is really hard to imagine and therefore incredibly impressive XD

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2011, 12:10:58 pm »
@lychee-twist I totally understand and get it.  I know its just really easy for me to slip into cig-smoke hatin, too many of my parents ex boyfriend and girlfriend were really rude smokers growing up.  The type if they acted mean it wasn't their fault because they were out of cigs.

I have known plenty of smokers who are really considerate of others when they smoke.  But yeah childhood memories are strong.

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2011, 06:08:57 pm »
I have to say that I thought the Red Lion location was sub-par. Not only was it far too small for our purposes, but it wasn't ADA-compliant by any means. The door that was marked handicap accessable wasn't automatic, necessitating people in wheelchairs wait for people who could open the door for them. And in both the dealer hall and artist alley, there was no room to move around.

Also in the Hilton, I got an ADA room but it didn't have an automatic door either, so my roomate had to have someone get the door for her all the time too. I changed rooms because of her needs, and then I find out it doesn't even meet that basic one! They can have all the bars in the bath they want but none of that does any good if you can't even open the damn door.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2011, 04:46:08 pm »
Besides, if they booked the park in advance, I would be a bit irritated to find that it was taken over by something else, too.

Even though they booked the park, it doesn't mean that the area is completely off limits to the entire public, unless the area is completely barricaded off.  I saw no barricades, that I can recall, so they shouldn't be too uppity about people from a nearby different event hanging out there, too.  I know it sounds somewhat harsh, considering what they were representing and that they paid to be there.  However, I've seen other events, and have been part of other events, that have had outsiders "crashing" the events so that they can do whatever they want in the park area.  If they're not disruptive, I say "Let them be."  I also find it funny that there were a couple of drunk people that I saw at an AA event.  If they were upset about us being there, then they should have been irate about the drunks. 
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh