Author Topic: Filk (Song Parody) Panel  (Read 3252 times)

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
Filk (Song Parody) Panel
« on: May 20, 2011, 12:18:59 pm »
Did anyone here attend the filk panel last year (2010)?  What were your impressions?  And who would be interested in hitting one this year, too?

(For those who weren't there, I explained what filking is and the basics of how to do it, performed three of my own filks, and then the audience got to collectively write a song parody of a well-known nursery rhyme and performed it together.)

KUMORICON 2014: BEST. CON. EVER! LET'S DO IT ALL AGAIN IN 2015!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Re: Filk (Song Parody) Panel
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 03:41:48 pm »
Having been the one to beg you to offer it, I can honestly say (a) it was my favorite panel that I attended last year (other than those for which I was a panelist); (b) it was delightful & clearly appreciated by those attending, who participated avidly; (c) knowing you were returning to KC inspired my own filking, leading to my performing one of my Doctor Who filks at Bedtime Stories.

Here's hoping you'll be back -- and for a longer timeslot!
Perhaps you could add a half-hour or so for an open mic for filks?
(I've actually composed a couple additional DW filks, & even some in the Supernatural fandoms, inspired by you & your panel!)

Please keep me posted; I'd plan my schedule around it.

Fangirlishly yours,
Rem. :)
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 11:18:05 am »
YOU KNOW I WILL BE THERE!!!!

*day dreams about being as cool as you*

Okay, fangirl moment over, but you know dang straight that I am gonna be there this year, I was sad I missed it last year!

For anyone who doesn't know, Filk is AWESOME and anime deserves TONS of it! :)
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 07:25:38 pm »
^ What she said :)
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 06:41:21 am »
Hahaha... ♥ I still don't know what I did to earn you guys' support, but I thank my lucky stars for you both.    :D

I wonder.  Do you think we could do two panels?  Maybe expand last year's panel into a full hour, so that we could do two audience-participation filks instead of just one, to give more people a chance to participate in the writing process, and I could perform a few more songs than last year?  And at the end we could announce that there would be another hour-long, open-mic panel in a few hours for anybody who wants to perform their own stuff, so I could get completely out of the way except as MC and let people fly their freak filk flags at center stage?   ;D

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 06:55:51 pm »
Send a message to programming@kumoricon.org asking about the karaoke room.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 09:23:49 pm »
I love your ideas, sweetie, but I hope you turned in your panel forms already. I believe the deadline was the 4th. Perhaps you can write programming@kumoricon.org and panels@kumoricon.org ASAP & see what you can work out. I love you!

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 04:51:49 am »
...oh, cripes!   :o   Last year it was just part of the Creation Station...I didn't even think of turning in forms.  (In retrospect, I may have let myself get a little spoiled.  D'oh.)  I've been so busy getting settled in Osaka that I haven't even been checking the forums.

Do you think there's any point in asking about the karaoke room or turning in forms by now?  Darn it, darn it, darn it.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 09:50:38 am »
There definitely is, and please do... I can't promise that this still holds true, but at the last meeting we were told that it's still possible for people to turn in forms. (And I suspect that would go double or triple for experienced kickarse panelists. ;))
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 10:49:50 am »
...oh, cripes!   :o   Last year it was just part of the Creation Station...I didn't even think of turning in forms.  (In retrospect, I may have let myself get a little spoiled.  D'oh.)  I've been so busy getting settled in Osaka that I haven't even been checking the forums.

Do you think there's any point in asking about the karaoke room or turning in forms by now?  Darn it, darn it, darn it.

*I* will tell you also to turn in your forms.... please do so quickly... but... I think it's worth doing... if you know what I mean. ;)

*glances at her position in the convention* Because I am sure there are people who've been expecting your forms.... :) :) :)
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 11:02:47 pm »
.....   ;D

You guys are lovely.  Will do!

Offline Tacosu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 02:10:43 pm »
I adored it. I adored it.

Also, this Karaoke staffer wants to see it in the Karaoke room.

HELLO, PLEASE CALL ME TACO. C:

COSPLAYS FOR 2013:
Tales of Xillia - Leia Rolando

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 11:30:49 pm »
Oh, gosh.   ;D  Thank you so much!  Isn't the karaoke room usually on open mike, though?  It would make sense to have the general performance workshop there, since that's another form of open-mic performance, but I'd feel bad using up open mic time for a panel.  I suppose you could talk to the head of programming about it, if you think that would work.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 10:53:22 am »
I really hope you've worked everything out. Believe me, sweetie, we would have loved to have had you, if we had another Creation Station at KC this year. But fan creation prog has been absorbed as a mainstay of the overall con (which was our initial goal back in 2003, in the kumoricon_fanfiction yahoo group that lead to the Beta Station that was the predecessor of Creation Station, if you recall). We do have a Creation Station at the sci-fi / fantasy con, OryCon, in Portland in mid-November, if you happen to be around and interested....However, that con actually already has its own full-on Filking wing! An entire area of the hotel dedicated full-time to filking....Come if you can! Love you!
...Oh and if you have a filk open mic, yeah, I'm ready :)

Offline the_resident_chibi

• Cabbit
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 03:49:14 pm »
I AM ALL FOR FILK OPEN MIC.

I wasn't able to go to the panel last year, but how popular would a filk open mic be? No one seems to ever enter the filk category of the karaoke contest so...

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 08:32:23 am »
Well, I know at least four people who have said they're interested in performing, and that's just among my personal acquaintances.  Ideally the first panel (Filking 101) will take place anywhere from hours before to the day before the second one (the performance workshop), so we might have some new folks, too.

(If we have the internet, then I can cue up YouTube karaoke tracks on my laptop and run 'em through the speakers for rudimentary backup for any new, spontaneous at-con filks.)