Author Topic: LET'S MAKE OVER 9000 CRANES FOR JAPAN!  (Read 5909 times)

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
LET'S MAKE OVER 9000 CRANES FOR JAPAN!
« on: April 11, 2011, 06:24:40 pm »
So me and my friend (Envy-Chan) were talking and she mentioned this program her heard about at school that donates about $2 for every paper crane they get.
I then thought about the idea about 1000 paper cranes, and how it would be Cooler to make OVER 9000!!!1
Of course we couldn't do it just to two of us so we thought it would be fun to make an event were a bunch of nerds get together and work to help Japan.
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
Re: LET'S MAKE OVER 9000 CRANES FOR JAPAN!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 06:30:33 pm »
You do realize that your friend's school's program most likely doesn't have $18,000, right?  :-\
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 06:34:38 pm »
Probably, but there's a good chance we won't reach the goal. I just chose that number because of the Internet Meme
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 06:44:43 pm »
I don't mean to come off as rude, but why don't you donate your own money? Schools are losing a lot- My school is getting rid of ALL English electives at the end of this year, and laying off seven teachers.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 06:52:22 pm »
Because I have none, Both my parents are artists and I don't have a job yet

Also I don't believe it's with the school, she just heard about it at school

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 10:08:16 pm »
If an organization along these lines had that kind of money, it would be a cool way to raise the funds.  Add the money to a message, since the crane means long life, happiness, and/or prosperity.

I don't mean to come off as rude, but why don't you donate your own money? Schools are losing a lot- My school is getting rid of ALL English electives at the end of this year, and laying off seven teachers.

That's crap!  Let me guess, they're keeping the football and basketball programs...
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 10:12:52 pm »
As much as I am a massive, MASSIVE supporter of art programs in school (creative and psychological benefits ftw), I will defend football and basketball because those are popular sports that people like to watch. They charge money for tickets and it brings in revenue for the school. Besides, once you get all the equipment, it's relatively cheap to keep up the program.

Maintaining art classes and supplies, however, can be enormously expensive. :/ Now that I have to buy all these supplies for my degree, I can see why they would get cut, sadly. Luckily there are programs like ArtsBridge that will teach art in schools for free or a very small price. I taught third graders when I participated in that program.  It was great!
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 10:18:41 pm »
As much as I am a massive, MASSIVE supporter of art programs in school (creative and psychological benefits ftw), I will defend football and basketball because those are popular sports that people like to watch. They charge money for tickets and it brings in revenue for the school. Besides, once you get all the equipment, it's relatively cheap to keep up the program.

Not really... what if the teams are good enough to make State?  They need to travel, ya know?  They also don't make that much money, since most of the spectators are students, and students get in for free, assuming that they have ID.

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 10:24:55 pm »
The $2 per crane thing was through http://studentsrebuild.org/japan/ and the Bezos Family Foundation. They were going to donate $2 per crane up to $200,000. The goal has already been reached. But you can still send cranes in and they will become part of some art installation as long as you get it postmarked by April 15th.
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 10:26:59 pm »
So, they're already over 9,000?  Awesome!

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 10:40:07 pm »

Not really... what if the teams are good enough to make State?  They need to travel, ya know?  They also don't make that much money, since most of the spectators are students, and students get in for free, assuming that they have ID.

From my experience watching my brother play Varsity football, most of the spectators are parents, and tickets were $10 each. Most travelling can be done by car individually, too. It doesn't have to be a bus.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 07:19:07 am »
From my experience watching my brother play Varsity football, most of the spectators are parents, and tickets were $10 each. Most travelling can be done by car individually, too. It doesn't have to be a bus.

Huh...

Well, I know that for here teams that travel for competitions had to do so together, unless there was some written note from a guardian.  This rule was heavily enforced for my school's wrestling, soccer, and basketball teams (I used these examples because they were the constant making any State-bound trips; I can't even remember the last time Washougal's football team made it to State).

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 09:49:12 am »
I didn't want that conversation to turn into a debate.  :-\

well thanks for telling me Cassiopeia.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 03:56:33 pm »
Sorry, Wrath...

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 04:41:01 pm »
I have 400 paper cranes.... Let me find them and you can have them !

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 04:43:07 pm »

Maintaining art classes and supplies, however, can be enormously expensive. :/ Now that I have to buy all these supplies for my degree, I can see why they would get cut, sadly. Luckily there are programs like ArtsBridge that will teach art in schools for free or a very small price. I taught third graders when I participated in that program.  It was great!
They're keeping the arts program- In fact, they're expanding it. However, they're cutting creative writing, the MOST POPULAR elective, and also cutting forensics (and our team makes it to state every year). I understand that basketball and football make a lot of money, but how much money do tennis and bowling make? Not very much, I imagine.

Of course, my school sucks at budgeting. =\
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 10:45:04 pm »
Yeah, I kind of wonder where priorities lie with that. At least there's some sort of artistic expression. I was just talking about how important it is that people have a psychological outlet at lunch today.

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 07:34:49 am »
It's ok Wa-kun

Thank's Titus!

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 12:42:24 pm »
It's ok Wa-kun

Thank's Titus!

I foudn 800 o.o i have to find the rest

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 01:40:32 pm »
how many did you fold?

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 01:53:37 pm »
how many did you fold?

i folder over 2,000 last year for some reson i cant rember. so i have like baggies of them i jsut need to find them all

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2011, 11:14:38 am »
o-o
that is a lot!

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 04:23:00 pm »
yeah. i rember what i used them for senior prank to fill the teachers class room withs paper cranes in hope she come back to the school since she got deported back to japan for some reson

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 08:02:36 pm »
That was nice!
I hope she comes back too

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2011, 08:26:23 pm »
That was nice!
I hope she comes back too
she did

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2011, 09:42:29 pm »
yeah. i rember what i used them for senior prank to fill the teachers class room withs paper cranes in hope she come back to the school since she got deported back to japan for some reson

...interesting idea.

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2011, 09:48:16 pm »

...interesting idea.

We had to clean it up in the end we made so many >< we filled up 4 big trash bins they ende up beign recicled but that day she walked into the school and we showed her all the photos

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2011, 09:40:13 am »

...interesting idea.

We had to clean it up in the end we made so many >< we filled up 4 big trash bins they ende up beign recicled but that day she walked into the school and we showed her all the photos