Author Topic: AMV Judging - Initial remarks  (Read 6215 times)

Anonymous

AMV Judging - Initial remarks
« on: August 14, 2005, 10:19:48 pm »
Wow - is all I can say.

I just got the decisions back from the judges. First of all, I was expecting this to go a lot more smoothly and quicker - but it took about SEVEN HOURS of deliberation, rewatching, discussion, and sorting.

Results:

- The show has been pared down to 55 min of total AMV time, which works just right for a quick announcement, press 'GO' on some computer, voting, and ballot collection.

- A total of NINETEEN videos have been selected from anomgn the 32 received. There were a lot of very good quality submissions this year, I can tell you - I was impressed. (I will be keeping about 14 for my personal collection, compared to just two last year.) The decisions were rough and harsh in some cases, but at other times, the criteria to eliminate were points like: left fansub subtitles in, series too old for a 'new' category, etc.

- Five categories will show. The judges broadened the 'Comedy' definition into a new category called 'Fun.'

- Last time, I selected the order of the categories and used a randomizer to order AMVs within each category. But this time, the judges have suggested an order of category showings, and they also selected the order in which AMV's will show in each category. (This is a first for me.)  I am surprised at the order of showings, and I hope it will work out welll - if not, then I guess we all learn something about audience dynamics. I for one will be watching the effects closely, and it is my first and foremost hope that folks feel entertained and satisfied.

-  The judges have determined a "Judge's Choice" entry, and personally it's a 'keeper' for me too! I hope you like it when it shows!

- G

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 12:35:26 pm »
i'm thrilled with the tremendous accomplishments. it's just a bummer for me that the event is no longer on monday afternoon, because i'll be running programming on saturday evening.

best of luck with it!

will it be possible for staff or others who are working during the contest per se, to view the amv's at another time?
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 04:08:36 pm »
I'm paranoid whether mine got in or not

Either way I'm looking forward to the contest. :P Only a few weeks away!

Offline Densha_Rockstar

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 04:40:40 pm »
Quote from: "Pie Row Maniac"

Lil Slugger's gonna get ya!  :mrgreen:

*Kuh-WHACK!*

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 09:57:49 pm »
Quote from: "Densha_Rockstar"

Lil Slugger's gonna get ya!  :mrgreen:

*Kuh-WHACK!*

"WE'RE GOING TO SPLIT THE KOREAN BARBEQUE!!"
".... uh?"

Offline Densha_Rockstar

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 01:59:11 am »
".... uh?"

"You won't tell anyone...?"
"Of course not! Of course not!"

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005, 03:35:12 am »
So is the actual voting on the AMVs going to be the first hour of the show or the last hour of the show? The LARP guys are planning on breaking for the actual contest part.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 09:10:20 am »
Quote from: "TomtheFanboy"
So is the actual voting on the AMVs going to be the first hour of the show or the last hour of the show?
They gave me a 3-hour block.

The contest entries will show during the first hour, followed by voting by ballots. (No hanging chads, please...)

Then follows one hour of parody trailers (the "AMV trailer park?") and another hour of general AMV's released within the past year or two.

- G

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2005, 02:49:15 am »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
So is the actual voting on the AMVs going to be the first hour of the show or the last hour of the show?
They gave me a 3-hour block.

The contest entries will show during the first hour, followed by voting by ballots. (No hanging chads, please...)

Then follows one hour of parody trailers (the "AMV trailer park?") and another hour of general AMV's released within the past year or two.

- G

It sounds like it'll be a blast. *thumbs up*

Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 10:11:23 am »
The LARP guys are planning on breaking for the actual contest part.

Be sure to catch the last 10 - 15m of the General show, 'cuz I'll be finishing off with a couple of FUNNIEST ones I collected, plus one or two real WOWZERS (digital eye candy ...)

- G

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 11:31:50 pm »
Quote from: "Densha_Rockstar"
".... uh?"

"You won't tell anyone...?"
"Of course not! Of course not!"

Is that Max Station in your sig Old Town/China Town? :P

Offline Densha_Rockstar

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2005, 12:40:25 am »
Is that Max Station in your sig Old Town/China Town? :P

Yep. The view is from the Burnside Bridge; there are the curves toward the Steel Bridge in the background.