Author Topic: What should I expect?  (Read 6154 times)

Offline ishpumalibu

• Chibi
What should I expect?
« on: August 24, 2010, 06:30:49 pm »
I know this may seem like a strange question, but i've been thinking about the massive number of people going to kumoricon, 2886 pre registered I believe, and it seems a bit overwhelming. I know there are organized activities and probably merchandise but does everyone just wander around shoulder to shoulder.? Sorry, I know this is probably silly, but I haven't been to a con, much less anything this big.

Offline thesirensings

• Catgirl
Re: What should I expect?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 06:44:14 pm »
It does get a bit cramped, yes, but people aren't all smashed together all the time. If you're going with friends, and need to get ahold of them to find out where they are, I'd suggest texting. If you call, neither of you will be able to hear anything.

Every breath you take and every move you make, every bond you break, every step you take, I'LL BE WATCHING YOU.

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 06:56:22 pm »
That implies anyone gets service in the con center.

There are events to go to and plan your days around, and the dealer's hall is always a fun thing to walk around to see if you can find anything worth buying during down-time between events.

Offline ishpumalibu

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 07:02:08 pm »
Hrm, well hopefully I can navigate alright.  :)

Offline thesirensings

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 07:48:14 pm »
That implies anyone gets service in the con center.

There are events to go to and plan your days around, and the dealer's hall is always a fun thing to walk around to see if you can find anything worth buying during down-time between events.

I got service just fine.

Every breath you take and every move you make, every bond you break, every step you take, I'LL BE WATCHING YOU.

Offline LexManos

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 11:29:54 pm »
For the majority of the con space my AT&T phone works fine. The exhibitors hall and exec tower kill it for all but texts.
As for the room, it's not TO bad if you don't loiter. And if you do loiter I get to shoo you away :P
Hop on Youtube and type in Kumoricon 2009 and you can see in general how it'll be.

The schedule is also up so you can see where people are most of the time, if there isn't something you want to see going on find some place to chill out (NOT in the hallways) there are quite a few places.

But yes, 4000 insane anime nerds, it'll be crazy!

Offline taz77

• Oni
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 08:25:34 am »
If you are being dropped off or picked up at the hotel it would be a good idea to park a few blocks away and walk in.  With the trains and busses working on 6th Ave people can not park or block traffic in front of the hotel on 6th Ave. the city will issue citations. Trimet is the best option, Pioneer Square is less than a block away from the hotel.  If you are comming by car Salmon St, Taylor St., and Broadway are the cross streets around the hotel that would work best for drop off and pickup.

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 03:28:25 pm »
Everyone, the topic poster asked about what to expect at con, cell usage is not really on topic.

So on topic, expect people in cosplay. Panels and events to go to. Viewing rooms showing anime, AMV's and people just milling around talking and taking pictures.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 07:11:51 pm »
I was showing the convention to my friend via a youtube video that has me walking through the hotel plaza (upper lobby.)  Here is a link on what you will see at the con.  (sorry the quality is not so great)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnDDq-Csw1Y

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 07:19:40 pm »
I've split off the cell phone reception topic into its own thread:

http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=13626.0
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 07:59:48 pm »
I was showing the convention to my friend via a youtube video that has me walking through the hotel plaza (upper lobby.)  Here is a link on what you will see at the con.  (sorry the quality is not so great)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnDDq-Csw1Y

Lol, I actually just made a walkthrough of the entire hotel based off last years info during the last meeting. I will post it up tonight should I remember.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 09:22:18 pm »
I was so excited to post something to show off the convention and everyone seems to 1up me :(

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 11:11:44 pm »
dont worry camname- I love you still *pats back*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sJw_6h_Ae4 (hates my voice so much...)

if anyone wants to update where areas are, please PM me or something, I would love to update it for the new year!

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 03:59:50 am »
I was so excited to post something to show off the convention and everyone seems to 1up me :(

You still rule for putting two and two together and coming up with the answer of a video to demonstrate. A picture is worth ten thousand words in this case. (^_^)
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 06:16:30 am »
I would expect a lot of people cosplaying without pants - I know I am.

Like Conventional Improv on Facebook!

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 01:27:11 pm »
Expect to have fun!!

With the reg cap, it should be less crowded at the hotel. Last year we were sardines. You'll still see and meet tons of people! Expect: tons of cosplayers, to spend money in the dealer's room/artist alley, waiting in lines, and having a great time. There's always something to do, things to see, and people to meet.

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 05:41:22 pm »
Can we pleeaaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee expect that the escalators will be on this time around? My back and legs were SHOT during the convention (15 pound armor is never fun to walk up and down in)

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 06:06:14 pm »
Can we pleeaaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee expect that the escalators will be on this time around? My back and legs were SHOT during the convention (15 pound armor is never fun to walk up and down in)

Sorry, but IIRC they will be off due to the risk of someone getting hurt if their oversized or floor-length costume gets snagged.  :-[

Personally, I hope that we find some way to keep the escalator up from the ballroom to the main floor on, and leave the rest off... but I wouldn't count on it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 06:07:10 pm by randompvg »
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline LexManos

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 06:15:45 pm »
According to Patrick at the last meeting, they will ALL be off for the ENTIRE con due to risks. Sorry guys.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 06:16:18 pm by LexManos »

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 06:33:30 pm »

Sorry, but IIRC they will be off due to the risk of someone getting hurt if their oversized or floor-length costume gets snagged.  :-[

I don't get the whole safety issue thing.
They have to lift their cosplays anyway to walk up them. Rather than focus on holding their outfits up, props, etc and just riding on up, they have to hold all their stuff and focus on keeping balance while walking up and down, I know I almost fell backward a couple times, and during the main events when were were rushed in, I was trying to keep all my stuff together so I could walk up and down it, ended up dropping everything, falling, and losing my spot in line....
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 07:31:25 pm by kimiski »

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 09:09:02 pm »
from what I heard someone got their cosplay stuck on there which caused both a dangerous situation and a massive wardrobe indecency issue. *shrugs* (the grapevine tends to exagurate things, but not by too much)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 09:26:15 pm by kylite »
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2010, 09:11:05 pm »

:'( They have to lift their cosplays anyway to walk up them

You're right, but if someone steps on their own cos and falls, the hotel bears no liability. Likewise if someone's back or knees get sore from climbing stairs. But if someone's cos gets snagged by a device the hotel operates, the hotel could be perceived as liable.

Yaaaaay litigation. Unfortunately, the risks they have to worry about are less of a safety issue than they are a "keeping their butts covered" issue.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 09:20:28 pm by randompvg »

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2010, 09:39:10 pm »

:'( They have to lift their cosplays anyway to walk up them

You're right, but if someone steps on their own cos and falls, the hotel bears no liability. Likewise if someone's back or knees get sore from climbing stairs. But if someone's cos gets snagged by a device the hotel operates, the hotel could be perceived as liable.

Yaaaaay litigation. Unfortunately, the risks they have to worry about are less of a safety issue than they are a "keeping their butts covered" issue.

That sucks, but makes sense.

Offline Sui Fong

• Chibi
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2010, 10:23:29 pm »
You should expect to have fun. Went last year for the first time (cause I had just moved to Oregon), and it takes a bit to get...acclimated.  :D Not in a bad way though. Its just a bit overwhelming seeing so many people "from" so many different animes that you like. Also expect to spend a bit of time waiting in line. Now it's not to terribly annoying to have to wait in line, because you meet all kinds of people while you do. Make sure you come expecting noise. If you're the type of person who gets headaches easily, then bring something for it. I find it the most fun if you just let the con happen, don't try and plan too much  :) it ruins it a bit.
2013 (in the works): Soi Fong (Bleach), Faith (Mirrors Edge), Agito/Akito (Air Gear)
Stay tuned for more information at a later date.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2010, 11:23:12 am »
You should expect to have fun. Went last year for the first time (cause I had just moved to Oregon), and it takes a bit to get...acclimated.  :D Not in a bad way though. Its just a bit overwhelming seeing so many people "from" so many different animes that you like. Also expect to spend a bit of time waiting in line. Now it's not to terribly annoying to have to wait in line, because you meet all kinds of people while you do. Make sure you come expecting noise. If you're the type of person who gets headaches easily, then bring something for it. I find it the most fun if you just let the con happen, don't try and plan too much  :) it ruins it a bit.

I love these comments about meeting people and letting the con happen. :)  They remind me of one of my favorite sayings - at a con like Kumori, almost everyone you meet is just a conversation away from being a lifelong friend. Corny, but true.

That might be one of the most important things to keep in mind. In the outside world, anime is "weird Japanese cartoons for kids", and your favorite meme about Ed and Winry will just get you weird looks. At Kumori, that's something that most of the people around you have been dealing with themselves, and they not only understand what you mean about Ed and Winry, they have some interesting points about Al and Xiao Mei to boot.

Last but not least: It's quite true that you should expect noise. But as staff, we will be cracking down on extreme cases this year - you'll still have to deal with people screaming embarrassingly-outdated memes about "the game", but you won't have to deal with anything loud enough to cause pain. Or if you do, expect the person who causes it to find out in no uncertain terms that they will NOT be doing so again. (See your bag stuffers at the con for more details.)

Offline Ritsu-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2010, 03:21:10 pm »
expect a lot of waiting in lines and talking to random people, you'll make new friends fast^^ Pictures will be taken, don't be alarmed lol it just means you're lookin good ;D
Kumoricon 2012: Princess Bubblegum.. 90%.. I just need to style my wig XC

Offline 7bijou7

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2010, 07:30:33 pm »
Well last year was a bit crowded(2009:4558 people Vs. 2010 probably 3600 people) and we don't have as many people this year because of the cap correct? Also, I never remember being shoulder to shoulder to anyone, sure sometimes there wasn't a place to rest, but thats how it goes I guess. I think This year will be alot better, if you look at the videos of the lobby and stuff, it'll (hopefully) be a bit less then that. I do know that elavators were a pain for some people, But I took the stairs since I wasn't staying at the hotel and it was perfectly fine, if you don't need to use the elavator I wouldn't use it(This year may be diffrent).  Talk to some people with similar interest too. I'm sure you'll have a blast!
Planned Cosplays for Kumo 2015:
BB Hood - Darkstalkers
Umi Sonoda (Yume no Tobira ver.) - Love Live!
Bunny Maid TV Head - Original
Princess Bubblegum (Tart Dress) - Adventure Time

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2010, 11:54:58 pm »
Elevators were a long wait last year.  If you could, it was better to walk up 2 floors on the fire stairs (ether side of the building, north and south) to get to the workshop area level 3.  Might be the same this year, might not.  If you want to go to lvl 23 I might suggest doing the same thing, but going to the 4th floor and hitting the elevator up.  Most people should be getting off on 2-3 and there will be room to go to the top floor or the floor of your room.