Author Topic: Music Gamin' Controllers  (Read 4356 times)

Offline Seluecos

• Bunnygirl
    • My Myspace Page ^_^
Music Gamin' Controllers
« on: October 15, 2009, 12:50:58 am »
I was wondering if anyone in this wide world happens to have a IIDX controller (Hopefully the awesome BA Arcade one), a KeyboardMania controller, or a Pop'n Music Controller (The super awesome big one) they'd be willing to part with. Looking high and low for em, can't find a keyboardmania controller for the life of me on the net T_T

Anyway, if anyone has one they'd be willing to part ways with for a fair amount of cash, PM me please, I'd much appreciate it ^^
THE POWER OF COMMUNISM!

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
Re: Music Gamin' Controllers
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 03:25:24 am »
I have a KBM controller I'd be willing to loan for collateral. Besides, it's really the kind of game you need to try before buying.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 03:29:37 am by ha~ma »

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 09:17:13 am »
Desktop Arcade's IIDX and Pop'n controllers are supposed to be pretty good if you're down with spending $300 on a game controller.  If I were more interested in either game, I would go for that.  Apparently DJ Dao controllers are pretty popular too?  Haven't really looked at the controller market in a while.  There are a few other garagecraft controller makers that are supposed to be pretty reliable, but I can't remember any other names.

DoReMi Mania seems to be a better option for KBM; all you need is a MIDI keyboard.  ha~ma would be a better source than me on that subject though.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 01:14:15 pm »
Desktop Arcade's
DoReMi Mania seems to be a better option for KBM; all you need is a MIDI keyboard.  ha~ma would be a better source than me on that subject though.
Yeah, official KBM has the problem of not having enough songs, especially First Mix. The learning curve is pretty stupid in both First Mix and Second/Third Mix so you'll find yourself clearing relatively hard songs , but there's nothing that help level you up to the point that you can beat (and more so FC) the HARD songs. DoReMi is a good option if you can tolerate GM sounds (probably can change this, I never mess with Windows GM soundset though) and if you want an unlimited variety of charts.

The issue here with DoReMi (and a MIDI controller) is MIDI lag / having a GOOD audio interface. You're going to need a NICE audio interface to run the game reliably with a MIDI controller (I've had problems with generic MIDI adapters such as random lag and dropped inputs). I've heard of people running it fine with generic adapters but your mileage WILL vary because everyone's computer setup is different. Overclocking your USB ports is a start if you're using a MIDI -> USB adapter though.

The other option with DoReMi is the KBM controller which is natively supported but....
You're going to need Windows 98 or 98SE to run DoReMi (with asian font pack of course) with a KBM controller. XP treats the KBM Controller as a Joystick instead of a Generic Gaming Controller, and no one has found a work around. If you're interested in writing drivers go ahead :)

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 03:09:20 pm »
I kind of want to try throwing DoReMi on a flash drive and see if I can get it running on the Macs at the MIDI lab at school.  That would a SWEET!  ha~ma, do you know if DoReMi works with Macs or has been converted to work with Macs?

It's not a huge deal; but it would be cool to be able to just go and play DoReMi on a weighted 88-key with a NICE MIDI interface all set up for me. :D
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 08:42:58 pm »
As long as it's non-Vista Windows you'll be fine (Modern Macintoshes are Windows compatibles, so I'm assuming you're planning on running this on a Windows Compatible Macintosh. If it's in WINE on Linux or natively on ReactOS or even being run on a Virtual Machine you'll have a ton of lag (I tried VMWARE on XP running 98SE in the Console if you're interested in details). I've tested a few different setups with different adapters and I get around 300ms lag. I can calculate this because I can output my MIDI data and compare it with the keychart, side by side. It's unplayable.

Offline Seluecos

• Bunnygirl
    • My Myspace Page ^_^
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 01:50:33 am »
I would love to try DoReMi, not sure where to dl it and the tracks though
Also unsure where to get a MIDI keyboard
I don't mind the learning curve at all, I play IIDX and can pass 10's, I know how to deal with a learning curve XD

DJ Dao is Desktop Arcade to my knowledge as well, correct me if I'm wrong though
THE POWER OF COMMUNISM!

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 02:30:05 am »
I would love to try DoReMi, not sure where to dl it and the tracks though
Also unsure where to get a MIDI keyboard
I don't mind the learning curve at all, I play IIDX and can pass 10's, I know how to deal with a learning curve XD

DJ Dao is Desktop Arcade to my knowledge as well, correct me if I'm wrong though
Google, get it quick because it's on geocities (which yahoo is shutting down). You can get a midi keyboard at any music shop. You can actually play with your qwerty keyboard if you are really hungry.

Offline Seluecos

• Bunnygirl
    • My Myspace Page ^_^
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 12:12:06 am »
kk thanks ha~ma ^^
THE POWER OF COMMUNISM!