Author Topic: This year's convention is terrible... (Ideas to make it better in years to come?  (Read 102328 times)

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
Re: This year's convention is terrible...
« Reply #100 on: September 07, 2009, 07:48:23 pm »
Gladimus, seriously. Write them a formal and polite complaint. We need to get out of this contract. It's not just annoying for the attendees, it's flat out not safe to be tripping over people like we were.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

oslapedo

« Reply #101 on: September 07, 2009, 07:50:31 pm »
I can see things going one of two ways of it stays at the Hilton. Either less people show up so that the con loses revenue, etc, or more people show up so that it's even more crowded.

Offline XFD

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2009, 07:51:23 pm »

XFD: I dont quiet understand your idea. I doubt well be able to change but even if we dont im willing to be things will go smoother next year.

Very simple version: If too many people come for the content offered, cut the content into two halves. Serve the first half to Kumoricon A, serve the second half to Kumoricon B. Kumoricon A is hosted at this hotel. B at a different hotel.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 07:52:16 pm by XFD »

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #103 on: September 07, 2009, 07:53:13 pm »
XFD: that is a good idea : o it would make the other building more useful and get a smaller crowd in the main building and even the two out.

Lychee: we can hope, I heard from some one in the dealers hall thats what we need to do to even have a hope of getting out of it (why i told you today xD)
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline gladimus

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2009, 07:58:06 pm »
Don't worry, I'm planning to write up a nice long review and send it to the hilton as well. But it can't just be me, we all have to work together, so maybe if you guys are willing I can quote you guys in the complaint. And please, send your own complaints too! If they know we had a terrible time thanks to their staff, and if we show concern for the numbers growing larger, perhaps they will realize they need to let us out of this contract.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #105 on: September 07, 2009, 07:59:28 pm »
if not then the staff will more than likley at least improve their attitude towards us.

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #106 on: September 07, 2009, 08:01:19 pm »
XFD: that is a good idea : o it would make the other building more useful and get a smaller crowd in the main building and even the two out.

Lychee: we can hope, I heard from some one in the dealers hall thats what we need to do to even have a hope of getting out of it (why i told you today xD)

Hey, honestly, if both parties know clearly of the danger an the dissatisfaction perhaps they can break it. It was so clearly a pain for the hotel staff to deal with. At the very least if we can't they can better for next time.

Gladimus, I'm glad to hear it. And I agree! We all need to, and I will stress this: PLEASE BE POLITE. No "Your hotel was bullsh**" and the like. They won't want to read it.
At the very least they'll be far more aware of our needs and help accordingly I hope.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline gladimus

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2009, 08:14:55 pm »
And if we absolutely have to stay in the hilton next year, PLEASE, at least have signs and more clear directions. And instead of sending people away when they go down stairs to a door they can't pass through, have someone at the top to explain that and put a clear sign explaining that that particular way wont lead to 'insert location here'. That way people will have only themselves to blame if they go that way.

This area of portland is scary, and the building is very hectic inside, the small perimeter and the stairs and elevators in such locations makes it all the more confusing! The maps were unclear, it needs to be made VERY clear that there are separate buildings! Put the maps for each building on a different page, and put it in big bold letters at the top which building is what. And label the schedule like that too, split it off so it says something like Building A events and Building B.

And because photoshoot areas are further away, we might need a general map of that particular area in portland, and some advice about the homeless people or maybe some warnings. These people really can get very invasive and creepy, and when our safety feels threatened then the event has no right to take place if it puts us in such situations.

The idea people have about splitting the events more evenly between the building is a great idea, it would definitely cause less crowding. Panels and video viewing and even the AMV contest should be in the executive, while the masquerade and cosplay contest and anything requiring a stage stays in the ballroom.

I know I have a ton of ideas for making this work, but I wouldn't be able to join in the volunteer staff since I get stressed too easily XD All I can do is post as much input as I can and hope for the best.

I still feel terrible that I had to show THIS year's convention of all years to my boyfriend as a first impression. We're lucky to see eachother twice a year right now, and when he saved up and went through a lot to come here to experience the convention I'd been praising for 3 years, he didn't like it. And I had to feel ashamed that the one year I brought him was the worst one. And I don't know when he'll ever be able to come back for kumoricon, or if he even would want to take the risk of having another terrible experience.

Say as much as you want, but there is no excuse for this.

This isn't the first time the con was in a new building, so that excuse wont work, it was poorly planned, period.

Offline Yugure

• Cabbit
« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2009, 08:26:20 pm »
I do think if we have to use this location again than kumoricon is going to have to insist that the staff at the hilton have more training prior to the event on how to handle con goers.  Most of the interactions I saw between hotel staff and con-goers was negative.  The staff would yell and generally treat the con-goers as children and had inappropriate body language, facial expressions, and tone for dealing with guests.  I can understand that they were overwhelm by the numbers and the excitement and loudness of the con-goers, but they still need to polite.   Now sometimes their actions were appropriate, but still the manner in which it was done was not. 
Also: I'm betting that staff was not prepared at all for the type of convention we are, although we probably don't have as many drunks as some other types of cons.

On a positive note most of the con staff was great with exception of one for me.  Most of the con's staff were really considerate and helpful. Thanks guys! ^-^

Yes, there were some questionable types hanging outside the hotel, though I don't know what the hotel and con staff could do about it.  It was pretty upsetting to me because there are so many minors at the con and some of the costumes us ladies wear while fine within the con could cause some uncomfortable leering or comments outside the con (I know from the conversations inside the women's bathroom that some of the ladies had some encounters that made them uneasy or feel threatened). So yes I wasn't happy with those people hanging around the con space.

Escalators really need to be off during peak times, I saw too many near accidents. 

We can't really move back to a smaller venue as fond as I am of some of our previous sites.  The convention center is the best once we are done with the hilton contract.  I'll still be going next year in the hope that it will be better plus I have this little track record of have not missing a single kumoricon since the very first one in Eugene. ^-^

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #109 on: September 07, 2009, 08:29:37 pm »
All of the problems I had were with the hotel, staff (not our wonderful kumo staff) and the actual building.
The staff of the hotel was rude, and disrespectful. They thought for some strange reason that the normal hotel guests were more important than us. We paid too.
Another was that the building was just too hard to navigate. I had issues making it from point A to point B, and my timing (as always) would have been terrible without me getting lost.

My last thing is, my bag got stolen. I left the convention crying because in that bag was my Renge cosplay, wig, and a few chibi dolls. I put a lot of love in to those things, and it was not ok for whoever stole it to steal it. If it wasn't for my great friends (thanks Cloudy, Demony, Megan, Bri, Teddy, Ari, Konan, Mikki, Griff, Mini-man, Sahara, Coleen, my roomies, and anyone I forgot) I would never want to come back.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 07:42:36 pm by soundninja12 »
Next con: Kumoricon
Make sure to pop in to the Tiptoe Through the TARDIS panel this year.
It is going to be...

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #110 on: September 07, 2009, 08:35:05 pm »
I have to agree with everything in this thread. I was disappointed, and the hotel rooms were tiny.

@Gladimus - I actually spoke to hotel staff last night about how they were treating us. The two staff members that I spoke to seemed completely unaware that anything bad was going on, but had definitely heard plenty of stories coming from multiple sources. I also pointed out to them how I felt like we were being treated like cattle, as well as freaks, rather then their guests. They both apologized and said that they didn't know that's how we felt (Although I can't imagine how they couldn't have known that.) and that they would try working something out / discussing it in the meeting they were going to be holding after the convention ended.

I'm not really sure how much to heart they took my complaint, but I also stressed that I understood that they had never hosted something like this, and that there are con goers out there that are much more eccentric then others. They seemed to appreciate that I somewhat understood their side of the story, as well.

Still, that doesn't give them any reason to treat their guests--or anyone like how they treated us.
AX :
- Seras Victoria (Hellsing)
- Axel (Kingdom Hearts II)
- Debut Cosplay

Offline Lynx

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #111 on: September 07, 2009, 08:36:09 pm »
There was a lot of important debate and arguement that went on after everyone left the con. The rant and rave was actually very eye opening to me. I was about to leave the con with downed hopes and dislike towards the hotel and such but as time progressed and more information was revealed about the hotel and con situation, I left with a much better feeling and a sense of guilt towards being angry at the hotel people.

To be honest, I don't think I could be all that happy either with having myself going to be laid off from work due to lack of guests.

But beyond that, there was an entire 2 hour run of this Rant and Rave. It was amazing. There were discussions of what was going on with the sound sets, how registration was handled, line guidance, why people were being so uptight. And so many more things. I really wish everyone stayed for it. I mean it. It was a truly enlightening experience.

A MESSEGE TO ALL STAFF HELPING DEALING WITH ELEVATORS

Thank you. So much for all your help. You've spent countless trips, up and down the elevator from hell. Contending with the heat, dealing with angry cosplayers and guests alike, and sorting people out to try and keep things flowing. i'm grateful you were there to ensure that there were less instances where there were jackass cosplayers who decided to push all the buttons for each level postponing travel for everyone.
[Insert Snazzy Signature Here]

Offline Asylymescapeie

• Cabbit
« Reply #112 on: September 07, 2009, 08:42:00 pm »
Hey I counted the people from con that were kicked out of the executive tower on the second night and uhh...48 people were kicked out for just about nothing. The hotel staff completely didn't care. There was a couple haveing s@$ on the dance floor at the mascarade ball and they didn't even do anything to syop it and I heard that the sakura con chair for next year left the con early because of the managements treatment of con members. :(
KUMORICON 2010

Kikyo (Inuyasha)= 100%
Female Pantyraid ninja= 60%
Diedara Iwa (Naruto Shippudan)= 100%
Finf me at con to find out who my 4th cosplay is!

Offline Memoryless

• Cabbit
    • DeviantART
« Reply #113 on: September 07, 2009, 08:49:15 pm »
This was my first convention, and I was really disappointed. It was very difficult to get where we needed to go. I'd prefer a few large floors than twenty-three, it was just too much. It was almost impossible to get an elevator, and when one did arrive, a couple times the staff said there wasn't any more room, despite there being a nice chunk of empty space in the middle. I can understand hotel policy, but the weight limit was three-thousand pounds, and with so many people needing to get somewhere...
People also got in the way a lot, so I can see why staff of Kumoricon and the Hilton itself would be irritated. Constantly they had to ask people to move out of the walkway. Shouldn't that be common sense? I also disliked people walking between me and the person I was trying to get a picture of, very rude. Speaking of pictures, I hate it when you request one, and the person or group just sort of ignores you. It's cool if they don't want a picture to be taken of them, but they could at least say they're busy or something. I followed a group all the way up the stairs because they said they had more members, and then they just left me there. ._. ;;
That's...more of an issue with random people, though.

Back to the location itself, I don't think I really like the downtown area very much. There were a lot of panhandlers and smokers roaming around. I don't dislike bums themselves, but some were very pushy and sort of creepy when they asked for money. My grandmother threw out an unpleasant scenario, and it happened today, exactly as she said. An old lady called me "cutie-pie", and then asked for spare change.

The map was also confusing for me, but that may just be a personal issue.

Overall, I wasn't impressed. I did have fun, but there was a little too much stress for something that's supposed to be amazingly fun. I don't think I want to attend next year if the Hilton is going to be the location, unless the panel placement and the like could be made easier to get to.

EDIT: I also felt that everything was jammed into Saturday, which left a lot of empty blocks on the rest of the days.

[I'm worn out, so I apologize if anything in this doesn't make sense and the like.]
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 08:54:37 pm by Memoryless »

Well...
When tweetle beetles fight, it's called a tweetle beetle battle.
And when they battle in a puddle, it's called a tweetle beetle puddle battle.

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #114 on: September 07, 2009, 08:55:10 pm »
There was a couple haveing s@$ on the dance floor at the mascarade ball and they didn't even do anything to syop it

Aw, can't believe I missed that.

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #115 on: September 07, 2009, 09:04:01 pm »
My complaints are the standard ones that everyone else has, terrible hotel, terrible (hotel) staff.

Everything else was pretty shiny.

Offline sabata

• Chibi
« Reply #116 on: September 07, 2009, 09:15:12 pm »
This was my first con, and i was looking forward to it........i didn't sleep at all untila bout 6 am the night before.........and frankly, it was a lot of fun for randomness, like i was with a group just yelling, I GOT A JAR OF DIIIRT and then the rick roll conga line. that was all fun. but the lines (like the elevators) took about 20 minutes just to get to one. and since i was a /\/008 i had no clue what was going on, what to do, and where to go for this. it was a lot of fun in the end. i got a lot of pimp stuff. (entered with 140 came out with 11....dollars) but it was really hectic. the cosplayers were nice, some of the staff i had fun with (i gave away about 4 boxes worth of pocky to staff) but there were some really mean people...........>< i know it's kinda whiney, but still. and the layout of the whole thing was a little weird. i thought the panels were all in one building ( the one accross the street) and i got lost multiple times. the map didn't make much sense, and a lot of the times, the panels went off topic (of course it was still fun) the majority of the time i was in the vendor area, just walking back and forth trying to entertain myself and my friend. but oh well, i think i will most likely go back next year. as long as it isn't at the hilton. and if it is sunny. my akatsuki shoes i made got soaked and contained more water then a water bottle. (i checked it out. it was scary) in the end i just bought some from a vendor for 20 bucks. one of the seams is already ripping. T.T

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #117 on: September 07, 2009, 09:19:44 pm »
Yeeaaaahhh, so... overall, I'm disappointed in the hotel. If it's going to be there again, my group and I might not be attending, which is unfortunate because we've been attending since 2004.
I don't want to even think about how crowded it will be and, to be honest, it's in a scary public area filled with homeless people who are constantly claiming certain areas as their own (which is horrible for photo shoots). I also witnessed something that I thought I'd share with everyone.
When a friend and I went to locate her missing glasses in the lost and found section a masked cosplayer was yanked into the room by a very rude hotel staff member. The way he gripped him looked as if he had stolen something, so I figured that there must have been foul play but I wasn't sure. Then the staff guy rudely said aloud, "I was told that there were to be no masks in the hotel! Is this true?" With which the con staff replied, "only on the main floor is that prohibited." So the man insultingly shoved the cosplayer out the door and said the the con staff, "I'm sorry I'm such a dick. I'm just tired!"

WTF?
SRSLY? NOT OKAY. AT. ALL.
We may have unique interests but we're still human beings and paying customers. I don't want any part in supporting the Portland Hilton. Not now, not ever.

I love my fellow cosplayers and look forward to this event every year. It's not the con's fault that my group had a difficult time, but it will be a big mistake if it's happening here again. I don't want to even imagine it next year. Thank God for con friends and new faces or else I wouldn't have enjoyed myself.
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #118 on: September 07, 2009, 09:22:36 pm »
I went to kcon last year on Monday only, and so this was technically my first con.

I feel like a minority here, but I rarely saw hotel staff, and when I did, they weren't rude to me. I tried to be quiet and out of the way, and for the most part, people were nice to me.
There are two situations in particular that stick in my mind:
Pre-reg day- I was chilling in line with LtCommanderRichie, and the line suddenly starts to move very rapidly. As we're getting to the front of the line, this staff guy suddenly runs out and yells "EVERYONE IN LINE FOLLOW ME," only to literally run us around the entire hotel. So the two of us run around the hotel, only to be greeted by more con staff in the lobby, who tell us, rather rudely, to go back upstairs and get in line. We go back upstairs and are told that the line is closed, and the end is now wrapping all the way around the hotel. The two of us complained and demanded answers from several staff members, only to get "lol this is what we do" and "I have no clue", until they told the door guard to let the two of us in but no one else.
Sunday- My friends and I met up at around 9 or 10, and were trying to find a place for us to talk and decide what to do. We were downstairs, near the women's bathroom, only to be yelled at that they were clearing the area and we had to move. We moved upstairs, where it was less crowded, only to be told, again, that they were clearing the area and we had to move. This left only the main lobby, which was crammed full of people because no one could go anywhere else. We ended up just leaving the hotel.

I agree that the Hilton was a bad choice of a venue, but I'll be returning next year.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline IchigoBunny

• Sailor Scout
    • Ichigobunny's deviant art
« Reply #119 on: September 07, 2009, 09:23:28 pm »
The first day was terrible for my boyfriend and I. We were being pushed around by the hotel staff and they were being so rude trying to get us to move out of the way. Even the Kumoricon staff didnt know what was going on with the Rave the first night. we were in the front of the line on accident because we thought it was the back and no one told us!! we didnt even attend the dance. My boyfriend and i are debating on going to it next year. we need a new venue that isnt level after level in a tall complicated hotel. i loved the red lion on the river front that was awesome!!

Offline IchigoBunny

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #120 on: September 07, 2009, 09:23:59 pm »
The first day was terrible for my boyfriend and I. We were being pushed around by the hotel staff and they were being so rude trying to get us to move out of the way. Even the Kumoricon staff didnt know what was going on with the Rave the first night. we were in the front of the line on accident because we thought it was the back and no one told us!! we didnt even attend the dance. My boyfriend and i are debating on going to it next year. we need a new venue that isnt level after level in a tall complicated hotel. i loved the red lion on the river front that was awesome!!

Offline sabata

• Chibi
« Reply #121 on: September 07, 2009, 09:26:04 pm »
I was kinda of freaked out about the number of homeless people congregating around the hilton. i think that all the benches in the back entrance was covered in homeless.....ness....thing-word-that-would-finish-this and they were a little rude about it. i know they are just trying to get some money, but it's a little annoying trying to get through fellow cospalyers, only to again try to get through homelesss people.

Offline misamisa

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #122 on: September 07, 2009, 09:28:55 pm »
I'm glad nobody got hurt though.
If you think about it, even walking to get dinner at night in Portland is kind of dangerous. O.O;;

My friends and I put up with our share of weirdos when wandering outside of the convention space (I was asked to make somebody's hentai dreams come true, ogled by many strange men, screamed at by cars driving by, among other things), and that was one thing.

But I am glad that the hotel guest who screamed at us, called us f***ing freaks (about 10 times), threatened to beat us, and after exiting the elevator, lunged back in and gestured like he was going to reach for a weapon did not hurt anybody.

I have wandered the downtown Portland area many times, and am used to the people to be encountered (and aware that things like pink wigs attract attention), so those experiences were taken with a grain of salt, but I never expected to be threatened in the con hotel.

Awesome.
k-con '09: Creed (Black Cat); Euphemia (Code Geass); Ichimaru (Bleach); Takano (Higurashi no Naku koro Ni)

Offline IchigoBunny

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #123 on: September 07, 2009, 09:32:01 pm »
I was kinda of freaked out about the number of homeless people congregating around the hilton. i think that all the benches in the back entrance was covered in homeless.....ness....thing-word-that-would-finish-this and they were a little rude about it. i know they are just trying to get some money, but it's a little annoying trying to get through fellow cospalyers, only to again try to get through homelesss people.
i know my boyfriend and i had the same issues we were freaked out actually. another issue we had was some religious guys handing out fliers and they wouldnt take no for an answer.

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #124 on: September 07, 2009, 09:34:51 pm »
There was a lot of important debate and arguement that went on after everyone left the con. The rant and rave was actually very eye opening to me. I was about to leave the con with downed hopes and dislike towards the hotel and such but as time progressed and more information was revealed about the hotel and con situation, I left with a much better feeling and a sense of guilt towards being angry at the hotel people.

To be honest, I don't think I could be all that happy either with having myself going to be laid off from work due to lack of guests.

But beyond that, there was an entire 2 hour run of this Rant and Rave. It was amazing. There were discussions of what was going on with the sound sets, how registration was handled, line guidance, why people were being so uptight. And so many more things. I really wish everyone stayed for it. I mean it. It was a truly enlightening experience.

I really wanted to attend but had to leave. I hope it'll get up on youtube soon. :T

Offline sabata

• Chibi
« Reply #125 on: September 07, 2009, 09:35:43 pm »
i know my boyfriend and i had the same issues we were freaked out actually. another issue we had was some religious guys handing out fliers and they wouldnt take no for an answer.
I had a problem with how the people in the gaming area seemed to hog all the systems. i got to play rockband twice, some weird fighting game where it was all girls (which were all very slow. and not cool besides the one with the gel thing. i kept yelling at my opponent saying THE GLOB WINS) and the computer for a while. i decided to leave at about 3 today because i was so tired of walking around the con with nothing to do

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #126 on: September 07, 2009, 09:36:25 pm »
But I am glad that the hotel guest who screamed at us, called us f***ing freaks (about 10 times), threatened to beat us, and after exiting the elevator, lunged back in and gestured like he was going to reach for a weapon did not hurt anybody.

Seriously? That's really not good; that's downright frightening.

I also had a problem with the religious guys in the square on pre-reg day. Now, I have nothing against religion in any way... but seriously, a no means a goddamn NO. There was this guy passing out flowers and we all for the most part either told him no or took the flier and threw it out. He came back and tried to pass out more fliers and tried to convert some of us(I remember one of us saying they were Wiccan and the guy still didn't leave us alone).
KumoriCon 2012

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #127 on: September 07, 2009, 09:40:05 pm »

I had a problem with how the people in the gaming area seemed to hog all the systems. i got to play rockband twice, some weird fighting game where it was all girls (which were all very slow. and not cool besides the one with the gel thing. i kept yelling at my opponent saying THE GLOB WINS) and the computer for a while. i decided to leave at about 3 today because i was so tired of walking around the con with nothing to do
That is Arcana Heart if you were curious ;D
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline sabata

• Chibi
« Reply #128 on: September 07, 2009, 09:40:13 pm »

I also had a problem with the religious guys in the square on pre-reg day. Now, I have nothing against religion in any way... but seriously, a no means a goddamn NO. There was this guy passing out flowers and we all for the most part either told him no or took the flier and threw it out. He came back and tried to pass out more fliers and tried to convert some of us(I remember one of us saying they were Wiccan and the guy still didn't leave us alone).

I REALLY have a problem with people trying to convert others. sure, you might want to spread an amazing religion, (or so YOU think) but it really doesn't help anyone if you just won't take no for an answer. I had to go to a theater on saturday to get some change, and had a problem with someone passing out fliers. i just wanted to go get my some pockys. OM NOM NOM and she wouldn't leve me awone

Offline IchigoBunny

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #129 on: September 07, 2009, 09:40:51 pm »
oh i know. i got to the con this morning around i would say 10-1030ish and we shopped for a while and then ran upstairs to see what was going on and we felt bored and were ready for the real world again. we left at 12 today. and basically only shopped. im feeling a bit depressed about this years con. i was trying to change my boyfriends mind about cons and this didnt do any justice. this was my 5th year and i havent ever had it this bad.

Offline IchigoBunny

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #130 on: September 07, 2009, 09:41:47 pm »

my boyfriend was ganna get really mean with them because they wouldnt quit.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #131 on: September 07, 2009, 09:44:29 pm »

Really? I was extremely uncomfortable(I was in PJ Garnet at the time. xD for 50s/60s lingerie) with what they were doing. It just didn't have the guts to get really pissed at them(I did tell them to just back the hell off, however).
KumoriCon 2012

Offline sabata

• Chibi
« Reply #132 on: September 07, 2009, 09:45:33 pm »
I really want to say that this was the best con i ever went to. (which it's the only one so i can't really back it up) but i think the only good panel i went to was the randomness panel. we got to tell pick-up lines
(mine was: hey baby, your so hot your hotness level, IT'S OVER 9000!!!)
which was a lot of fun to watch and hang out. i saw all the cool cosplays, and today saw the one i was looking for all day, HASEO FROM .HACK//ROOTS, and also saw a medic and kept yelling MEDIC whenever he went by. and i saw him alot

Offline IchigoBunny

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #133 on: September 07, 2009, 09:46:35 pm »

Really? I was extremely uncomfortable(I was in PJ Garnet at the time. xD for 50s/60s lingerie) with what they were doing. It just didn't have the guts to get really pissed at them(I did tell them to just back the hell off, however).
lol my boyfriend was ichigo from bleach with a boken sword on him so he was being protective.

Offline misamisa

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #134 on: September 07, 2009, 09:47:33 pm »
I have to admit I had a bit issue with the sheer amount of out-of-control and just plain RUDE unaccompanied minors.  No offense to those in the under-18 crowd who know how to act like civil human beings,  but a lot of the younger crowd seemed to be doing absoutely EVERYTHING they could to give us all a bad name.  It got so frustrating that I found myself muttering "fricking Yellow Badges..." with disdain.

A few things witnessed:

- Young kids making out and exploring their sexuality on the sidewalks in front to the hotel.
- Young kids sprawled out on the sidewalk like beached whales.  My friend politely said, "excuse me, we're walking here..." and they rudely said "yeah, you DO that", did not care AT ALL that they were blocking the way on the already crowded sidewalks.
- Young kids screaming obscenities at other con-goers as well as people in public
- Young kids riding the elevators, pushing every button and snapping pictures of people whenever the doors opened on a floor.
- Young kids running around asking for hugs and dancing on people (when asked to stop, they did not)
- Young kids screaming about rape in public in front of non-convention goers.

Did anyone else feel like this year's con was over-run with out-of-control preteens with no consideration for others?  It was very frustrating.
k-con '09: Creed (Black Cat); Euphemia (Code Geass); Ichimaru (Bleach); Takano (Higurashi no Naku koro Ni)

Offline IchigoBunny

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #135 on: September 07, 2009, 09:47:43 pm »
I really want to say that this was the best con i ever went to. (which it's the only one so i can't really back it up) but i think the only good panel i went to was the randomness panel. we got to tell pick-up lines
which was a lot of fun to watch and hang out. i saw all the cool cosplays, and today saw the one i was looking for all day, HASEO FROM .HACK//ROOTS, and also saw a medic and kept yelling MEDIC whenever he went by. and i saw him alot
unfortunately i was part of the panel and i didnt make it to it because i couldnt find it. TT.TT

Offline sabata

• Chibi
« Reply #136 on: September 07, 2009, 09:50:34 pm »

- Young kids making out and exploring their sexuality on the sidewalks in front to the hotel.
- Young kids sprawled out on the sidewalk like beached whales.  My friend politely said, "excuse me, we're walking here..." and they rudely said "yeah, you DO that", did not care AT ALL that they were blocking the way on the already crowded sidewalks.
- Young kids screaming obscenities at other con-goers as well as people in public
- Young kids riding the elevators, pushing every button and snapping pictures of people whenever the doors opened on a floor.
- Young kids running around asking for hugs and dancing on people (when asked to stop, they did not)
eheheh. sorry about that. that was only one time i said that. and my friend was doing some anime reference dance i didn't know that popped my "don't get too close to me" bubble

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #137 on: September 07, 2009, 09:50:38 pm »
RECOMMENDATIONS
Definitely different hotel, since the Hilton was absolutely terrible (and if you haven't found that out, seriously read all the previous posts...)
I would suggest doing at one of these past hotels, since for me and my friends were were the BEST experiences of Kumoricon we had (out of the 6 years we have gone) I'm going to suggest WHY as well, that Kumoricon should be here.
Because if it is at the Hilton next year....a lot of con-goers will not attend (I will be one of them)

Double Tree (Portland, OR)
This was a nice location, it had food nearby, and a park. It seemed like everyone had a good time last year there, and it was very nice location. It had shade, and it was slightly secluded from "normal people".
Unfortunately I hear we're too big for them now

Red Lion Hotel (Janzen Beach, OR)
I know this was a very hard hotel for the staff, but it was the best BEST Kumoricon I had ever attended. The locating was AMAZING, beautiful scenery, amazing rooms and spaces. And I never once had to deal with anyone who was rude, or packed rooms/hallways. It was a very large convention space. It also was a great location. It was literally the best Kumoricon, ever *(all my friends agreed)
It was amazing, because it was friendly, and just perfect. If you have it here, I will definitely attend in less than a heartbeat.
Nooooooooo nononononononono
They double-booked us with a wedding and changed some of the agreements DURING the convention.

Hilton (Vancouver, WA)
I know the downtown Hilton was a pain, but this one was again, a wonderful location. It was VERY SPACIOUS outside, to the point where it was so large that people could roam off and do their own thing. We didn't disturb others with or antics, and they appreciated our efforts and cosplays. It was friendly, and very nice. Though there were some hiccups, it was a very nice convention. Though it is out of the way, it was worth it because it was very spacious and friendly.
I wasn't there so I can't say anything about this.

Offline IchigoBunny

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #138 on: September 07, 2009, 09:50:41 pm »
I have to admit I had a bit issue with the sheer amount of out-of-control and just plain RUDE unaccompanied minors.  No offense to those in the under-18 crowd who know how to act like civil human beings,  but a lot of the younger crowd seemed to be doing absoutely EVERYTHING they could to give us all a bad name.  It got so frustrating that I found myself muttering "fricking Yellow Badges..." with disdain.

A few things witnessed:

- Young kids sprawled out on the sidewalk like beached whales.  My friend politely said, "excuse me, we're walking here..." and they rudely said "yeah, you DO that", did not care AT ALL that they were blocking the way on the already crowded sidewalks.

Did anyone else feel like this year's con was over-run with out-of-control preteens with no consideration for others?  It was very frustrating.

YES YES YES!!!! This was a huge prob this year and its only been getting worse. unfortunately they think they can get away with it because their parents aren't here and they are in public. ... sometimes things like that are funny but there is a point where they need to stop its only funny when the people know how to stop. and the elevator thing was ****. that isnt funny when its that packed. no wonder it took so long!

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #139 on: September 07, 2009, 09:53:02 pm »
Mustash was butt-hurt.

Offline IchigoBunny

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #140 on: September 07, 2009, 09:53:39 pm »
RECOMMENDATIONS
Definitely different hotel, since the Hilton was absolutely terrible (and if you haven't found that out, seriously read all the previous posts...)
I would suggest doing at one of these past hotels, since for me and my friends were were the BEST experiences of Kumoricon we had (out of the 6 years we have gone) I'm going to suggest WHY as well, that Kumoricon should be here.
Because if it is at the Hilton next year....a lot of con-goers will not attend (I will be one of them)

Double Tree (Portland, OR)
This was a nice location, it had food nearby, and a park. It seemed like everyone had a good time last year there, and it was very nice location. It had shade, and it was slightly secluded from "normal people".
Unfortunately I hear we're too big for them now

Red Lion Hotel (Janzen Beach, OR)
I know this was a very hard hotel for the staff, but it was the best BEST Kumoricon I had ever attended. The locating was AMAZING, beautiful scenery, amazing rooms and spaces. And I never once had to deal with anyone who was rude, or packed rooms/hallways. It was a very large convention space. It also was a great location. It was literally the best Kumoricon, ever *(all my friends agreed)
It was amazing, because it was friendly, and just perfect. If you have it here, I will definitely attend in less than a heartbeat.
Nooooooooo nononononononono
They double-booked us with a wedding and changed some of the agreements DURING the convention.

Hilton (Vancouver, WA)
I know the downtown Hilton was a pain, but this one was again, a wonderful location. It was VERY SPACIOUS outside, to the point where it was so large that people could roam off and do their own thing. We didn't disturb others with or antics, and they appreciated our efforts and cosplays. It was friendly, and very nice. Though there were some hiccups, it was a very nice convention. Though it is out of the way, it was worth it because it was very spacious and friendly.
I wasn't there so I can't say anything about this.

I agree with the first one! find a better venue. and i honestly didnt know about the janzen beach. i gotta say the vancouver place was nice. i was also in the hotel so i dont know about other arrangements.
I wonder if an area with not as many buildings would be nice and somewhere not so "downtown." That area attracts hobos and people you dont want to be around.

Offline sabata

• Chibi
« Reply #141 on: September 07, 2009, 09:54:30 pm »
i was on the 3rd floor (after i left the how to: weapons panel) and waiting for the elevator. and some teens were pushing buttons and i clearly head "GUYS, lets crowd around the front of the elevator when it comes up so no one can get out!"

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #142 on: September 07, 2009, 09:55:15 pm »
Misa Misa:

as an underage I take no offense to any of that whatsoever ._.
I did joke about sex and rape a bit with my friends but we didnt YELL rape at the top of our lungs xD I honestly didnt see much of what you described, and I'm VERY sorry you did : / My group snot really into that stuff i guess? when we comence in general fagotry its ussualy just us playing around and joking with each other, more than often when were alone in our hotel room.

it is sad that a lot of the younger crowd are so disrespectful towards others, and I am very sorry again ) : I dont think I took part in much if any of what you said above but Im pretty positive it was there even if I didnt see it.

Offline misamisa

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #143 on: September 07, 2009, 09:59:06 pm »
YES YES YES!!!! This was a huge prob this year and its only been getting worse. unfortunately they think they can get away with it because their parents aren't here and they are in public. ... sometimes things like that are funny but there is a point where they need to stop its only funny when the people know how to stop. and the elevator thing was ****. that isnt funny when its that packed. no wonder it took so long!

I think most of these kids' parents would be horrified if they witnessed what their children were doing in a public setting.  At least, I would hope so.

Something needs to be done to regulate the out-of-line underage attendees.  I didn't feel like it was my place, but there were times when I felt it was necessary to make it known that what they were doing was NOT okay, like telling them that they really needed to stop playing in the elevators so other guests could get around easily.  Some friends were told by kids in the elevator that they should take the stairs, because the elevators were going to be stopping on every floor.

Offline sabata

• Chibi
« Reply #144 on: September 07, 2009, 09:59:54 pm »
I really do need to have gotten a group, i had one planned, we saw each other, but never actually did anything. i still has some fun. and i'm sure it would have been more if i had done panels, it's just the good ones were really early, or really late. and i'm pretty sure i can't just stall for 8 hours to make a teddy bear

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #145 on: September 07, 2009, 10:00:54 pm »
About the Red Lion... we were double booked with a wedding THIS year.(Well, part of one anyway) Some people heard that there was a wedding, and I was getting congradulations >.>(probably the giant white wedding dress and veil for Yuna? xD)

By the way, my pick-up lines were "Will you be my guardian?", "I have an airship; wanna ride?", and another I can't remember. xD

Back on topic, I am seventeen, eighteen in January, so am techinically a minor, but I know what you're saying. Way too much rudeness in some of the younger congoers; though that's not saying they all were. I knew some pretty awesome litt;e cosplayers myself ^^(I so want a picture of that little Zidane*Game one, not the Amano one with gold trim. I have a bunch iof her. xD*)
KumoriCon 2012

Offline sabata

• Chibi
« Reply #146 on: September 07, 2009, 10:02:27 pm »
OMG i remember seeing you in the random panel. you kept standing up, and some staff peep kept fixing your dress. LOL

Offline IchigoBunny

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #147 on: September 07, 2009, 10:02:52 pm »
About the Red Lion... we were double booked with a wedding THIS year.(Well, part of one anyway) Some people heard that there was a wedding, and I was getting congradulations >.>(probably the giant white wedding dress and veil for Yuna? xD)

By the way, my pick-up lines were "Will you be my guardian?", "I have an airship; wanna ride?", and another I can't remember. xD

Back on topic, I am seventeen, eighteen in January, so am techinically a minor, but I know what you're saying. Way too much rudeness in some of the younger congoers; though that's not saying they all were. I knew some pretty awesome litt;e cosplayers myself ^^(I so want a picture of that little Zidane*Game one, not the Amano one with gold trim. I have a bunch iof her. xD*)
the little ones were darling but the early teens were a pain.

Offline sabata

• Chibi
« Reply #148 on: September 07, 2009, 10:04:24 pm »
i saw the cutest wittle guy. he was dressed up as gin and he kept squinting his eyes. it was SOOOO KAWAII

Offline Yugure

• Cabbit
« Reply #149 on: September 07, 2009, 10:09:16 pm »

A few things witnessed:

Oh good lord, yes.. I saw some of this stuff.  Particularly the kids making out, which I saw in the line for the vendors area.  -_- honestly not appropriate.  There was also a lot of unnecessary shouting and screaming which sometimes disrupted the panels.