Author Topic: 21+ Events - Why?  (Read 9539 times)

Offline Teuvan

• Sailor Scout
    • Blogspot page.
21+ Events - Why?
« on: August 30, 2009, 08:23:46 pm »
I see several events marked "21+" in the schedule. While the restriction for the sake tasting panel is easy to understand, why does a Magic draft need an upgraded age restriction? As a 19-year-old who would very much like to participate in the late-night Magic events, this is very annoying to me, and I'd like to know the reasoning behind it.
You've been among winebibbers and riotous eaters of flesh, haven't you?
I admit I told you to sell your body, but I did only mean your organs. - Excel

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
Re: 21+ Events - Why?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 08:50:15 pm »
I asked the same question about the magic the gathering tournament... as it seems, alcohol is going to be at that event, so that's probably why... I might be wrong, but I think that's the only reason there are 21+ events, because of booze.

Offline Teuvan

• Sailor Scout
    • Blogspot page.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 08:52:39 pm »
I asked the same question about the magic the gathering tournament... as it seems, alcohol is going to be at that event, so that's probably why... I might be wrong, but I think that's the only reason there are 21+ events, because of booze.

Wow. Because people NEED to be liquored up to play Magic. I REALLY wish I could go now, so I could massacre all the people with alcohol-impaired judgment, heh. Still, if true, that's horrifically stupid, and whichever company is hosting the tournaments is going to lose out on some serious cash from me.

Offline Man of the Public

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 08:54:38 pm »
It's chaos draft, and If I remember correctly it's one half Drinking game one half magic.

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 08:56:11 pm »
It's chaos draft, and If I remember correctly it's one half Drinking game one half magic.

oh, well if that's the case, no wonder it's 21 and up... Now I know one thing to avoid at con, even tho it's going to be funny to see what happens.

Offline Teuvan

• Sailor Scout
    • Blogspot page.
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 08:58:32 pm »
That's not how chaos traditionally goes. Chaos is about strong randomly chosen effects making the game into something extremely unpredictable and fun. Nothing to do with alcohol whatsoever, unless they're making up their own format.

And there's also EDH, which CERTAINLY has nothing to do with alcohol traditionally.

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 09:00:02 pm »
well, if you look at the schedule, there's also a toarnament a couple of hours earlier which you could attend.

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 09:03:53 pm »
We have only so much space at the hotel, and as an overflow for some of the tabletop tournaments they are being played on the 23rd floor, which also has the karaoke lounge.  Since it was an old restaurant with a bar, we opted to try offering a bar in the lounge area... the unfortunate side effect to that is there are a couple of tournaments that will 21+ only.

We are simply trying to utilize the space the best we can.
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline Teuvan

• Sailor Scout
    • Blogspot page.
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 09:04:28 pm »
well, if you look at the schedule, there's also a toarnament a couple of hours earlier which you could attend.

Those tournaments are scheduled earlier, yes, which means they eat up more prime con-time. The standard tournament is out of the question for me since it conflicts with several events I want to attend. I'm considering the M2010 draft, but I've yet to decide whether I want to spend several hours drafting when it's the best time of the day for random socializing.

Also, they're not EDH and Chaos, which makes them far less interesting to me. I haven't played EDH or Chaos in years, and I very much want to do so again. They're very fun formats that I'm not regularly presented with the chance to experience.

Offline Teuvan

• Sailor Scout
    • Blogspot page.
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 09:09:07 pm »
We have only so much space at the hotel, and as an overflow for some of the tabletop tournaments they are being played on the 23rd floor, which also has the karaoke lounge.  Since it was an old restaurant with a bar, we opted to try offering a bar in the lounge area... the unfortunate side effect to that is there are a couple of tournaments that will 21+ only.

We are simply trying to utilize the space the best we can.

That's very interesting. Thanks for clearing that up. Still pisses me off that I don't get to go to two of the coolest-looking events at the con, but at least I know why now.

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 09:16:27 pm »
That's very interesting. Thanks for clearing that up. Still pisses me off that I don't get to go to two of the coolest-looking events at the con, but at least I know why now.

We do not deliberately try to exclude people from events... there is usually a reason why we plan things the way we do ;)
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 09:36:04 pm »
Ah I forgot about the bar, now I get why there's 21+ up karaoke.
*sigh*

I feel yah Teuvan, first it was getting to be 18 and staying out past 12am, now it's we need to be 21 for the booze, lol.
I still remember how horrible it was at 17. 2007 was the year the con rules changed to anyone under 18 has a curfew, no matter if they are with someone above 18 or not, when in 2004 at 14, I stayed out till 3am cause I stayed with my sister then. :D

Oh wells, only two more years right?

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Teuvan

• Sailor Scout
    • Blogspot page.
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 10:21:36 pm »
*sigh*

I feel yah Teuvan, first it was getting to be 18 and staying out past 12am, now it's we need to be 21 for the booze, lol.
I still remember how horrible it was at 17. 2007 was the year the con rules changed to anyone under 18 has a curfew, no matter if they are with someone above 18 or not, when in 2004 at 14, I stayed out till 3am cause I stayed with my sister then. :D

Yeah, I was frustrated being 17 during 2007 also. Especially because my birthday is less than a week after the convention. I missed out on buying so much hentai that year...greh...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 10:24:33 pm by Teuvan »

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 10:23:39 pm »

Wow. Because people NEED to be liquored up to play Magic. I REALLY wish I could go now, so I could massacre all the people with alcohol-impaired judgment, heh. Still, if true, that's horrifically stupid, and whichever company is hosting the tournaments is going to lose out on some serious cash from me.
its 21+ because it is going to be held in a bar. So no one under 21 can go in

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 10:55:37 pm »
*sigh*

Yeah, I was frustrated being 17 during 2007 also. Especially because my birthday is less than a week after the convention. I missed out on buying so much hentai that year...greh...

LOL
I have a friend who turned 18 the day right after the con ended.
He was not a happy camper.

And yaoi too! T.T I made my friend look for me, and payed her back :P

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 01:59:34 am »
I hope they're still doing this when I'm 21.  The only time I ever plan on drinking enough to get an effect is when I'm playing a drinking game.  That sounds incredibly fun. :D
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline ZakkKurama

• Sailor Scout
    • Animes Watching: I Need to UPDATE!
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 06:03:07 pm »
MMMM cant wait till im 21
Karaoke 21+
hahahahahaah that would be fun to be in

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 07:20:05 pm »
Dance Dance Revolution becmes Drunka Drunka Paradise
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 06:19:29 am »
You can surely guess what kind of DDR Tournaments GK will be holding when I turn 21 ;]

Offline wolfy2491

• Chibi
    • My facebook~
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2009, 03:29:08 pm »
I was so pissed when I found out the con is 24 hours this year, but only 18+. Because my birthday is just a few days after...

I HATE BEING 17. O.O

Plus I want to see the yaoi 18+ things. lol.

Next year will be a big year for me. X3

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009, 08:26:07 pm »
You can surely guess what kind of DDR Tournaments GK will be holding when I turn 21 ;]

I would love to see the outcome ddr with people drinking... all though, we're not supposed to get drunk, which does take a small amount of fun out of it, but non the less, it's still fun with a little booze in you.

Offline wolfy2491

• Chibi
    • My facebook~
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2009, 09:08:24 pm »
That'd be dangerous. XD

Like the cheetos commercials. Dangerously cheesey, only it's dangerously funny. lol.

Offline ZakkKurama

• Sailor Scout
    • Animes Watching: I Need to UPDATE!
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2009, 01:42:24 am »
I was so pissed when I found out the con is 24 hours this year, but only 18+. Because my birthday is just a few days after...

I HATE BEING 17. O.O

Plus I want to see the yaoi 18+ things. lol.

Next year will be a big year for me. X3

I know how you feeel

i turn 18 not that long after the con too... it sucks!

Offline wolfy2491

• Chibi
    • My facebook~
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2009, 02:25:19 am »
Well next year's gonna rock hard core for us then, won't it!!! lol. Yay for almost being 18!!!!!

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2009, 06:05:05 am »

I would love to see the outcome ddr with people drinking... all though, we're not supposed to get drunk, which does take a small amount of fun out of it, but non the less, it's still fun with a little booze in you.
Yeah, I suppose public drunkeness is a misdemeanor...

So I guess I'll just have to buy a DDR machine for my 21st ;D

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2009, 12:20:54 pm »
oh god, if I ran a bar, I would host drinking DDR, just to see how it would go..

Offline sever

• Oni
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2009, 12:57:28 pm »
Actually, the 21+ event, specifically the Karaoke bar on the 23rd floor was one of the few highlights for me and my many 21+ and over friends. As members of the "con scene" for many years, this was a nice segway from the standard con schedule, especially for those of us who enjoyed having a place that suited an older set of fans. I was also a vendor at KUM and although we did well in sales, the logistics were very upsetting. Or rather, the lack of logistical organization.

Anyway, back to topic:
Although I can understand the consternation of those under 21, I really appreciated having an event that catered to older fans, where we could relax, have a drink if we wanted to, and have access to a different atmosphere. Anime convention lounge, what have you. The staff both KUM and Hotel were wonderful and treated us like adults. The view was amazing and the ambience was laid back but fun.

For those who have not attended conventions for very long, it may be harder to understand.It is getting to the point where convention attendees are aging and therefore some tastes are, too. This was just the kind of event many of us old con fogies look forward to, away from the standard running and screaming of attendee fans. It's amazing how seeing/hearing that novelty wears off very quickly. By having events catered to the older fan base, a convention is showing that it understands it must also grow and evolve in order to maintain returning attendees.

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2009, 02:10:07 pm »
Yes that's generally correct.

After Midnight is the <18 curfew.

Events with 18+ are generally due to ecchi/hentai levels (or likely potential).
Events with 21+ indicate alcohol is a factor.

It might be nice if there were a better way of doing that at a glance next year.  Maybe a martini glass for alcohol enabled events.
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2009, 02:41:55 pm »
Yes that's generally correct.

After Midnight is the <18 curfew.

Events with 18+ are generally due to ecchi/hentai levels (or likely potential).
Events with 21+ indicate alcohol is a factor.

It might be nice if there were a better way of doing that at a glance next year.  Maybe a martini glass for alcohol enabled events.

Also, it's important to note that not all after-curfew events are 18+ in terms of it's content rating. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2009, 05:04:17 am »
Rules for next years magic.

Blue decks only.  Every time a counterspell type of card is played, you take a drink.
White decks only, every time you gain life, you take a drink
Black decks only, every time you make a player lose life from an instant or sorcery, you take a drink
red decks, every time you directly damage a player you take a drink
green decks, every time a creature is beefed up, you take a drink for every +1/+1 gained.

If you have a combination, get ready to drink for double the effects haha.
Hey ya'll I'll be starting school so time on these forums will me limited.  I will still respond to PM's so if you need to get a hold of me, PM me or send me a message on MySpace.

GGPO

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2009, 11:13:07 am »

Blue decks only.  Every time a counterspell type of card is played, you take a drink.
Black decks only, every time you make a player lose life from an instant or sorcery, you take a drink
green decks, every time a creature is beefed up, you take a drink for every +1/+1 gained.

Play it like that, and my Black deck'll get me snockered so quick I wont be able to play!

Sincerely, I am appreciative of the 21+ events, it gives us something interesting to do, distinctly
age-appropriate and also allows us to flaunt the fact that we like Anime/Manga and we aren't 7 years
old. Like some network stations would like me to believe. ^_^

I think though, we need to make sure people aren't sloughing off the rules because they don't
care, we could get in major trouble for this. I was in the AMV after hours, and it was 1am before
someone even mentioned the fact that the amv's were about to get dicey... and even then they
didn't really check ID/badges... awkward...
(granted, I pretty much left minutes after that, so I don't know if they checked after I left... cause it
was time for KAREOKE!!!)

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2009, 12:14:38 am »

Under these rules, my last game with my Saproling Deck would have netted me a few thousand gallons of hard liquor. :P (I gained a total of 3,500 life, gave my creatures a total of about +6,000,000/+6,000,000, dealt 90 points of direct damage to my opponent, and countered 6 spells)

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2009, 09:45:24 pm »
 Because getting old sucks and we deserve some perks for getting here. If you complain about it now it wont be around when you want to have fun. *Raises wine glass*

Offline babysugarbear28

• Chibi
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2009, 07:11:02 am »
I actually heard from someone that went that the 21+ magic tourny was quite fun and well... funny to watch... I can't wait to participate in 2 years since my birthday is almost 2 months after con. I don't mind not doing the 21+ stuff as long as I have my 18+ panels ^_^ HAND CHECK!!!

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2009, 02:09:06 pm »
I actually heard from someone that went that the 21+ magic tourny was quite fun and well... funny to watch... I can't wait to participate in 2 years since my birthday is almost 2 months after con. I don't mind not doing the 21+ stuff as long as I have my 18+ panels ^_^ HAND CHECK!!!

I don't play magic, but I play a game called "legend of the five rings' there are seven?? or so clans to play as and it is apparently tradition that the Crab clan ( the filthy 'rawr me smash morons' clan) show up to tournaments wasted. It does make things more interesting.

I couldnt find my ID for the 18+ stuff so i tried using the logic that " I'm slightly drunk so I must be at least 21, right?" Didn't work. WTH? That makes PERFECT sense!

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2009, 05:03:46 pm »

I don't play magic, but I play a game called "legend of the five rings' there are seven?? or so clans to play as and it is apparently tradition that the Crab clan ( the filthy 'rawr me smash morons' clan) show up to tournaments wasted. It does make things more interesting.

I couldnt find my ID for the 18+ stuff so i tried using the logic that " I'm slightly drunk so I must be at least 21, right?" Didn't work. WTH? That makes PERFECT sense!

OR, you could easily have been underage, breaking the law.

Assumptions lead to potential lawsuits
Hey ya'll I'll be starting school so time on these forums will me limited.  I will still respond to PM's so if you need to get a hold of me, PM me or send me a message on MySpace.

GGPO

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2009, 08:38:50 pm »

or MUCH more likely-I was being a smart ass and was in saying this on my way to retrieve my ID.  Bloody hell  >_<
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 08:39:45 pm by ThiefKingsHier »

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2009, 12:48:04 pm »

or MUCH more likely-I was being a smart ass and was in saying this on my way to retrieve my ID.  Bloody hell  >_<

No, I'm pretty sure you were an undercover cop trying to get the convention shut down for letting you into that Yaoi
bedtime story room without checking your ID... Yep... thats it.... undercover coppers... infiltrating the convention...
vewy vewy sneaky... ^_^

~Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair