Author Topic: from beta station to fan creation station  (Read 18524 times)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
from beta station to fan creation station
« on: April 11, 2005, 09:25:29 pm »
having just run the artists' den at sakuracon, which held both art contests and fanfic contests, i've decided (pending approval by the programming coordinator) that i'd like to change the room i run from being called the beta station (entirely focussed on fanfic) to the fan creation station (allowing room for visual art as well as word art). one of the reasons was the successful crosspollination of themes at SC. another is that i'd like to have a manga creation contest at kumoricon.

what do folks think of this idea?

love
ellen/rem.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Panda0_0

• Catgirl
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 09:40:21 pm »
MANGA CREATION!

so if we plan out a manga, sketch it, print it out, then make it into a full cover book we can enter it into a contest?

(thinks) so cool!

Who are you? Whats your name? SUPER BROTHERS!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 01:39:19 pm »
absolutely, yes!!

i plan (pending permission from my director, which is likely):

(a) a manga contest, as part of the overall fanfic contest: something that is worked on before the con, and turned in before the con or no later than the first night of the con:

(b) on-site collaboration:
(1) artists pick a fanfic from among those authors submit for this purpose...perhaps those written onsite at a contest held earlier that day...and have to illustrate it;

(2) maybe also the reverse: artists draw an original character, and authors have to write a story about what that character might be experiencing!

(3) an author and an artist who share a fandom have to create something onsite in the form of a manga.

i'm thrilled at the possibilities!
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 04:24:44 pm »
That so rocks Ellen! I'll most defiantly be there to read and stuff...

I'm hopping my artist for Starlight Memories will be able to come to Kumori... That would be so fun... ^_^

Sixteen Year Kumoricon Veteran
Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 05:29:30 pm »
I still like number 3, Ellen.

I am a VERY poor drawer, but if there is one thing I am good at, its knowing things, especially about my fandoms.

I think number three would be awesome to try out at this upcoming Kumoricon.

It seems every con, fanfiction keeps making jumps and leaps into the mainstream con scene. Hopefully we will eventually help it get national recognition, and cons will realize that people love fanfiction, wheather its writing it, or reading it.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 07:17:26 pm »
Ooooh, I would participate in the manga contest (if I can get a move on my idea and finish planning a chapter)

Options 2 and 3 sound nice too.

Offline Panda0_0

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 09:20:32 pm »
im going to start today!

do you mind droping me a PM by with all the rules and info about the manga contest!

i can probably turn it in at 8:00am of Kumoricon! im pre registering for this 3 munths befor! i need 2 munths for outfits!

dmstudios3

ME TOO!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 01:35:50 pm »
do you mind droping me a PM by with all the rules and info about the manga contest?

Me too!! I would love to do this!  I always create new characters and stuff!  

At the moment I am trying to get caught up in Naruto, so I can make a fan-manga of it with an original character I made up!  

email - dmstudios@hotmail.com

hurray for art! :P

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 03:06:28 pm »
amanda: i would love to meet your artist. your story intrigues me, and i can't wait to see these lovely ladies looking longingly at each other :)

dustin: i can't draw to save my life, either. but i agree, you do tend to retain a lot of detail about your fandoms, so you would be good as a collaborator, in terms of keeping things in sync with the canon.

negima, panda, dmstudios:
wow! yay! i'm thrilled to have you aboard, and can't wait to see your work!!! :)

number 3 seems to have a lot of support, so i definitely plan to run it next kc. (unless for some odd reason nathan, programming coordinator, rejects it---which would shock me; he's low-key and has a lot of faith in me; i just talked to him and he'd heard how our ff crew rocked sc.)

as of this point in time, i'm planning both a contest for       turned in ahead of the con, and a contest for       created at the con. within each, i would probably have one award for best       for which both artist and author were the same, and best       done by collaboration. for those collected prior to the con, there could also be the opportunity for each creator to say whether or not they would also want their work peer-juried. those who agree to have their work peer-juried could then have it on display in our fan creation station, on the first day and night of the con (which would also draw folks into the station), and then the winners would be announced at closing ceremonies with the rest of the awards. (note: i always try to let constituents know who won ahead of closing ceremonies, since many folks' travel plans dictate leaving before that.)

we are *definitely* among the driving forces moving fanfic into the national limelight.

i've agreed to help some of the talents who came through the artists' den at sakuracon try to set up their own, fan creation centered, con in spokane. my best newbie of sakuracon, who has agreed to help start fanfic theatre, came with a big posse from red bluff, california (other members of which also won awards from me at sc). and within 24 hours of SC, word of ffbs at sc had reached antonia levi, the professor, and author published on fanfic and fandoms, who was one of kcon's keynote speakers last year. she's encouraging me to write for national journals on the event!

(see separate thread.)

once i come up with exact rules for the various fanfic and art contests, including the       specific contests,  i promise to post them in threads both in the fan creation forum, and the fanfic-specific forum. (to which, i think, access might be restricted to staff and volunteers?). i haven't devised the rules yet, so i won't be pm'g folks with them at this time. stay tuned, though!

(i want to be sure the idea is approved, before i define the nitty gritty.)

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005, 06:58:56 pm »
Ellen, the girl with glasses that was sitting next to me at SC Fanfiction bedtime stories, that was my artist... ^_^ She does a lovely job.

Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Panda0_0

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2005, 09:33:32 pm »
plz send a pm all about it cuz i keep lusing this thread -.-'

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 01:29:12 am »
Quote from: "RemSaverem"
negima, panda, dmstudios:
wow! yay! i'm thrilled to have you aboard, and can't wait to see your work!!! :)

Would you like a kind of short story, intro story, or perhaps an exert out of a story for the manga?

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2005, 05:41:52 pm »
any of those that you wish, would be fine.

i'm very easy going. i try to have as few rules for my contests as possible, to be as inclusive of and encouraging of, as much creative expression as possible.

i also always make up extra award categories as i go along, based on whatever most impresses me in the moment! in addition to whatever categories are announced ahead of time :)

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2005, 11:13:42 pm »
Quote from: "RemSaverem"
any of those that you wish, would be fine.

i'm very easy going. i try to have as few rules for my contests as possible, to be as inclusive of and encouraging of, as much creative expression as possible.

i also always make up extra award categories as i go along, based on whatever most impresses me in the moment! in addition to whatever categories are announced ahead of time :)

I better get started with some of my ideas then.  Thank you. ^_^

Offline Panda0_0

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2005, 09:55:51 am »
iv started charicter planing and story bace!

woot :D

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2005, 12:42:21 pm »
excellent!!!!!!!!!

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2005, 09:26:33 am »
I've been working rapidly since Sakura-Con to get Starlight Memories done and the rest shipped off to you. But, my artist, I'm not quite sure where she is in the artwork. But, since she is 10th grade, she has WASL (Washington State Assement of Student Learning) testing the next two weeks, so I'm not going to talk to her until our practice the last day of April. So, I should have updates soon. ^_^

Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2005, 02:00:41 pm »
that's cool sweetie, i'm still behind from all the time off i took for surgery  and the con.
oh, and i just beta'd a like 12+ page academic paper on werewolves in anime and manga for a professor!

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2005, 08:46:17 am »
Wow! That's so cool! ^_^ Just get back to me when you can about that contest. I'm at school at the moment, or I would be there posting. But, the site is blocked on the server. x.X

Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯