Author Topic: A few questions about an anime con  (Read 3620 times)

Offline heavana

• Oni
A few questions about an anime con
« on: August 19, 2006, 05:21:02 pm »
I am planning to go with a friend (and my mom UHG!, cuz I'm only 14) to the anime con in Oregon next year. I have made all of my calculations (hotel, gas, cosplay costume, ect.) and I was wondering...

1. About how much should I expect to spend? I should have about $1,900 left to spend at the con. Will that be enough?

2. I'm going to pre-register. Do I have to pick up my badge the night b4 the con starts, or is that just a perk?

3.I have never been to a convention before, is there anything I REALLY need to know?
~Erin~

Offline Irate Beldam

• Chibi
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 05:27:05 pm »
Hm, well, I can't answer all of your questions, but I might be able to help a little!

1. You're probably going to find a whole lot of stuff you want to buy, so bring a big duffle bag and rent a hotel room to keep your crap in. But yes, nearly two grand is enough. o.O;

Probably too much. Set aside one grand for a RothIRA when you get a job, I'd say. :shock:

2. Nooo idea. Sorry. I'm paying at the door. [ So lazy of me. ]

3. Just ask people before you hug people. Or "glomp," rather. It irritates some of us to be touched. XD

I've never hugged anyone at a con before, but when people find out you're a boy with long hair, they will attack you.

I had a few people at the second Kumoricon kiss me against my will and it was kind of traumatizing. ;____;
[ Be glad your mother is there to protect you. ]

Prettyboys, beware. They're after you. I know first-hand. *Cries*

[/size]

Offline heavana

• Oni
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 05:37:46 pm »
RothIRA??
lol. some of that make me glad I'm not a guy, and thank you very much Bedlam!!
~Erin~

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 05:43:01 pm »
1. this is my third kcon and I have never brought more then 250 bucks with me, thats including room rent and for food all that stuff. so your monry amount should work.

2. you don't have to pick it up the night before it just saves you time.

3. um try to shower as much as you can. remember that some people get really into cosplaying....( at 04 I joked around about just going as a random character in the background of animes that wears a kimono, and a guy really got upset about it) also there will be tons of things to do so don't get stuck doing one thing, my first year I stayed mostly in the game room.

also have fun and well welcome to our slice of happiness
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline Irate Beldam

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 05:53:59 pm »
Quote from: "heavana"
RothIRA??
lol. some of that make me glad I'm not a guy, and thank you very much Bedlam!!

Oh, a RothIRA is just a type of retirement sort of fund thing. If you are employeed, you can sign up for one and it saves money for when you're old and no longer employeed. Not like you need to worry about that at the current moment, considering you're still young, but whenever I hear someone talking about a large sum of money, I can't help but spew "Get a Roth IRA!!"

It's habit. x3 [ But enough about boring stuff. ]

And yeah, you're welcome! I hope that helped in some way.

Haha, being a guy can be tough I think.
Just be glad they'll be after me screaming "BISHI!" and not you.

:[
[/size]

Offline heavana

• Oni
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 06:08:03 pm »
Thank you both (Waffles and Bedlam) so much!!! I have really wanted to do this for a while. I have this book full of cosplay outfits, details, expenses. So if u think of anything i can add, plz tell me!!
~Erin~

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 06:45:49 pm »
btw if anyone does something to you against your will, seek out a yojimbo or con staff right away, we will handle the situation, we dont want out guests to suffer.
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 06:46:49 pm »
true that!
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline Irate Beldam

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 07:12:04 pm »
Quote from: "kylite"
btw if anyone does something to you against your will, seek out a yojimbo or con staff right away, we will handle the situation, we dont want out guests to suffer.

Really? :'3

Well, I guess I didn't know that.

I was only like sixteen or something when this happened, and all these girls kept kissing me and I couldn't make them go away. D:

Some guys, too. >_>;

But like, I'm sure no one would have helped me.
Why would people believe that a guy getting a bunsh of kisses from girls didn't want them? ;_;

They'd have been like "LOL dude, you wanted it!"

Oh well. I'm almost twenty now, so I'm strong enough to tell the girlies to back off with the bishi-love. >:3

[ I hope. >_>; ]
[/size]

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Re: A few questions about an anime con
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 08:20:07 pm »
Quote from: "heavana"
1. About how much should I expect to spend? I should have about $1,900 left to spend at the con. Will that be enough?
 in
2. I'm going to pre-register. Do I have to pick up my badge the night b4 the con starts, or is that just a perk?

1. $1,900 should be MORE than enough for a convention.  The only way I think someone could spend all of that at the con is if they bought every DVD in the dealer's room.
I think a lot of people usually average around $500 total.

2. Wait, are you going to pre-reg. or have you already pre-reged?  I'm pretty sure the pre-reg. deadline has already passed.
If you already have pre-reged then you can pick up your badge the night before as a way to avoid lines the next morning.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 01:55:24 am »
Get in line EARLY for the cosplay and AMV contest.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 09:49:40 am »
1: I guarantee you won't need $1900 for the con. I only spent $400 at Sakura-con this year and I spent like $60 last year at Kumoricon :P (didn't stay in the hotel). Even with buying stuff in the dealers room you shouldn't need more than $400-500, unless you're buying a LOT of stuff.

I'm surprised no one else mentioned what Negima did.

2. Prereg is already closed so unless you are already preregged you have to stand in line on Saturday morning to pay/get your badge (be there early, reg starts at 8!).

3. Remember basic hygeine, everyone will love you for it. Take lots of pictures. Chat it up with people in costumes from animes you like or just characters you like. And I also agree, at least go see the Cosplay contest, it is a lot of fun to watch. If you're going to be there Monday as well, go see Piano Squall, his performance is awesome.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds