Author Topic: Question regarding Hand Stamps  (Read 3810 times)

Offline Sandstormzach

• Oni
Question regarding Hand Stamps
« on: August 31, 2015, 08:33:03 am »
Hello everyone,

I plan on attending one of the 18+ panels at the convention, and the code of conduct says that hand stamps are required to attend. I'm going to be cosplaying during the convention and my costume has a pair of elbow-length gloves. I'm assuming there will be other cosplayers wearing gloves or other hand coverings for their costumes with varying levels of removability. How does the hand stamp rule work in these situations? Do we have to take the gloves/etc off? Can we put them back on after we get and present the hand stamp? Can we get a stamp on a piece of paper and just present that?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
Re: Question regarding Hand Stamps
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 10:49:28 am »
I'm gonna assume that the paper thing is not gonna happen. And I bet anything the reasoning I have for that IS the reason they will tell you. And that's, how do they (the person at the panel door) know that you got that paper stamped and were not given the paper by any other person?

Anyway, I don't know how Kumoricon does it, but when I was cosplaying Cloud from Final Fantasy VII Advent Children at Sakuracon 2012, they let me put it on my wrist. I was able to just push the wrist area of the glove up a little and you could see it. However, I would think you could easily just take off the glove part way and put it back on after.

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 01:53:53 pm »
Could it go somewhere else like an upper arm or even a forehead?

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 07:40:32 am »
Can we get a stamp on a piece of paper and just present that?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Not saying you would, but what's stopping someone with one of these slips to hand one of these to someone under 18?

Like Conventional Improv on Facebook!

Offline Sandstormzach

• Oni
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 06:43:19 pm »
Yeah, fair enough.

Actually, if they require ID to get the stamp, and someone could get a fake ID too (albeit with more difficulty), why not just require ID for the panel instead of a stamp? I dunno. Not like I have a say in the matter, I'll go along with it as long as I don't need a stamp ON my costume.

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 09:07:29 pm »
Yeah, fair enough.

Actually, if they require ID to get the stamp, and someone could get a fake ID too (albeit with more difficulty), why not just require ID for the panel instead of a stamp? I dunno. Not like I have a say in the matter, I'll go along with it as long as I don't need a stamp ON my costume.

I'm not staff so I can't this is a 100% for sure reason, but I can promise you it's ONE of the reasons..
Think of both things. Think of looking at someones ID to make sure they are over 18, then think of looking at a hand stamp. Have you ever seen anyone buy alcohol at the store before? The cashier has seen many IDs but it takes them a good 5-10 seconds to make sure they are of age right? Think of that at a con. It takes 1 second to see a stamp on a hand. They could get 10 people in the room in the same time it would take to check 1 ID card. Imaging there are 60 people. They have 1 minute to let everyone in the room (just a small example) that means they'd be able to get maybe 6 people in the room where if they looked at hand stamps that takes 1/10 the time, they would have all been able to get in. It's obviously not an example that's practical, but it gets the point across. It's that it's WAY WAY faster to check stamps because it takes FAR less time. And this is only assuming that every single attendee going to said panels are from one state where all the IDs are the same. Imaging how much longer it would take for out of state IDs where the person looking has no idea where the birth date is on it..That'd take forever and the panel would start with very few people in it.