Author Topic: Interest in a How to panel? (sewing & wigs)  (Read 2113 times)

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
Interest in a How to panel? (sewing & wigs)
« on: October 31, 2014, 02:23:05 am »
This was an idea I've been wondering about for a while if someone wants to make happen. I have several ideas in regard to it. Feedback and input is requested since I most likely won't be the one hosting the panel(s). In the past, Kumoricon did host a Wig Styling panel that had over-capacity attendance. I've personally been wanting to bring the Wig Styling panel back, but everyone styles wigs differently and they're done depending on the person, the wig and the character-- I know a girl who prefers to work with armatures inside her spiked-character wigs, and another who is famously known for having a wire base inside of her Jessie (Pokémon) wig, and another who had an accurately long wig for Rapunzel by use of tulle and sewing extensions.

1. How to Sew
The basic idea is that without a sewing machine present (as I'm not able to lug my temperamental machine to con), instructing people on how to sew various things. I thought this might be an interesting idea since everyone sews differently, and if it's a panel conversation between 2-4 people with some manner of sewing experience talking about how they'd make something, that'd be pretty enlightening.
I was looking at the first costume I made (before that I had only made a single pleated skirt with no machine to sew it with), and looking at the construction of it, I see where I didn't know what I was doing with several points and yet at the same time, it all seems pretty clever.
Another idea is that I don't use patterns. I understand how seams work on my own clothes and in a sense, make my own patterns through geometry and algebra (I never thought I'd use it after 9th grade). The two times I've tried to follow a pattern, have left me feeling like I'm translating from Greek to English here and something is always lost in translation.
Perhaps a segment on what the guests at the Cosplay Costume Contests are looking for that can qualify you as a winner. Another thing, regarding where to buy fabrics- JoAnn's might be someone's only option, but how does buying fabric online work, and where is the price fair, including shipping & handling?

2. How to Style A Wig

Wigs are very important to a costume, but do we really need to buy $60 wigs? I say no, but that's because I've never had a need for an expensive wig. Explaining the prices of wigs, where to buy (including actual sellers on ebay with over 9000 purchase records), what to buy and what prices are fair. What's the difference between a wig meant for theater, Halloween, spun-plastic, lace-front, heat-resistant, why does knowing what you're buying matter?
Now that you've got your wig, how do you style and take care of it? Again, this might be an interesting conversation held between 2-4 people.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
Re: Interest in a How to panel? (sewing & wigs)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 03:36:01 pm »
Jaki has asked me to propose a bunch of sewing panels for various skill levels.  I've been sewing for 40 years and I've taught some sewing classes here and there. I was thinking of teaching some of the things that I've learned at Sew Expo & in classes through the American Sewing Guild over the past 15 years or so... The only problem I have is that I'm not certain what people want to be taught. So, please share all suggestions as soon as you can so I can create step by step samples to help illustrate the steps.

I am planning to bring along a sewing machine (it's not my main machine - it's a cheapo beginner machine I picked up especially for bringing to conventions and doing sewing demos. The main requirements for it were mechanical, low cost, minimal bells & whistles, and less than 10 lbs...), and maybe my "beater" serger (yes, I have two, don't ask). They're also arranging to have a camera / webcam rig to put next to the machine so that we can project on a screen a clear closeup of the machine's needle / foot area so people can see how I'm doing certain techniques. I've done that before when doing a sewing demo class at Radcon, and the audience loved it because everyone could clearly see the techniques (words can only say so much about how to do something, but actually watching someone do a technique gives you a really good idea of how exactly to do something).

I also plan to create a panel about patterns since those tend to be confusing or extremely difficult for people to work with.....

I'd also be happy to be on panel with others to talk about various techniques.

IM me if you've got suggestions, or questions you want answered in a panel...

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 02:23:59 am »
Wooooot! That'd be great to see Runa! :D

I personally would love to see how to finish/seal up seams. Everyone tells me to zigzag my straight stitch seams if you don't have a serger, and another person told me those zigzag crimping scissors are a must, and I'm like..  but what if I need to let it down, then it's not a straight line???
Kumori'15

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 07:07:36 pm »
Ask and you shall receive...   :)   I can show the options for those seams... and (what the heck) make another sample of various seam finishes and toss the samples in the washer several times to see what survives (relatively) unscathed and what doesn't (you may be surprised). The "zig-zag crimping scissors" are called "Pinking shears". They're named after a flower called "Pink" which resembles a carnation but has zig zag petals. Traditionally, pinking shears are what most seamstresses used if they didn't use any of the other techniques. (Don't want to "steal my own thunder" for the panel  ;)  )

Oh, and Veraca, if your machine is having tension issues, take it in for service. Show the technician something you've sewn where the tension was wonky, and - if you still have some - give the technician some scraps from the project so that he can test the adjustments to prove that the tension issues are resolved. Be sure to ask what he did to fix it!   

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 08:32:50 pm »
You're getting me so excited for this panel! I really look forward to it :D

I don't know where a tech is for the Brother machines nearby... I live no where near a big city sadly. I messed around with it a lot and it turns out that re-threading it (taking out the bottom bobbin several times too) is what's needed, besides dropping it down to 0.5 or 1 tension. Totally confused me cause the instruction book said that tension should be 3~5 in most cases.
Kumori'15