Author Topic: Minorities in Cosplay Panel!  (Read 2596 times)

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
Minorities in Cosplay Panel!
« on: December 16, 2012, 10:10:57 am »
Even though this is a very loving and accepting culture I sometimes feel odd in the world of cosplay.
This would be a panel for those who feel out of place due to their race, sexuality, gender identity, beliefs or any other reasons.
I don't really know what to do though, so I need your guy's help.
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
Re: Minorities in Cosplay Panel!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 04:49:45 pm »
Does shy count as a reason? It's hard for me to go up and just say "Hi" so I get left out..Both Akicon and Sakuracon this year it was like that..Not many people asked for my picture in the shoots (it all happened outside of shoots basically lol) but like no one said, for example, "Hey you're the ONLY Cloud at this photoshoot, can I get a pic with you?"....This was how I felt at Sakuracon durring the Final Fantasy shoot..So, this count?

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 07:10:15 pm »
....honestly, and I mean this in the most respectful of ways...no, I don't think that's quite what Wrath-Chan meant.  A panel for shy otaku would be great!  But being shy, while it is a problem for many of us, isn't really the same as feeling out of place because of minority status.

After all, both majorities and minorities can feel frightened and crippled by shyness, and that's a very real problem - but shy majority otaku are fairly likely to be accepted if they're able to overcome the hurdle of their shyness, whereas shy minority otaku have two hurdles to overcome: their own shyness and the (frightening) possibility that those around them might reject them before they know anything about them.

There's a difference between feeling left out because feelings of shyness are preventing you from engaging more actively with a group, and feeling left out because you were making every effort to engage with a group and people rejected you for not being "the right race/sex/etc. for that character".  Which, for the record, I have seen online.  It's freaking hard to find inspiring and fun characters of color to cosplay in anime - why harsh on somebody for deciding to say "screw it!" and cosplay Sailor Moon or Gai-Sensei instead?  And yet...people still do, even when the resulting costume is breathtakingly beautiful.  =_=

tl;dr - Doing a "shy otaku" panel would be awesome!  But I don't think a "minority otaku" panel is quiiite the right forum for dealing with that particular issue.

KUMORICON 2014: BEST. CON. EVER! LET'S DO IT ALL AGAIN IN 2015!

Offline TheVampireLeigh

• Sailor Scout
    • My tumblr
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 11:37:13 pm »
I'm a transgender-guy... so I suppose that kind of makes me a minority in a way. x3 I've always been pretty androgynous and I certainly don't fit into the typical gender ideas...

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 09:10:56 am »
Well since the theme of this panel is acceptance I would say you are welcome to come! I would want this to also be a panel to make people aware of these problems in the world of cosplay.

Leigh you are welcome to come, Trans is one of the themes I want to talk about since I am a trans male myself as well.
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 12:24:32 pm »
Wrath, this is an awesome idea for a panel!  You should definitely file the paperwork as soon as it becomes available.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 10:20:22 pm »
Thanks Wa-kun!

After some thought I was thinking about making this a discussion panel. Where we sit in a circle and talk about our experiences, what kind of change one can bring, and if anyone has a question or just wishes to learn more.

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 01:33:34 pm »
Panel submission forms are up!
I got one printed out and am filling it out right now!