Author Topic: Question about Kumoricon panels  (Read 3508 times)

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
Question about Kumoricon panels
« on: November 18, 2012, 06:18:10 pm »
For those who attend panels at Kumoricon, what do you think of the ones that have happened in recent years, what kinds do you enjoy the most, and what are some kinds that you'd like to see in the future?

In my opinion, I have no complaints with the ones that have been scheduled within the past few years, since it all depends on your taste and we never know what kinds of submissions that the con will get. However, I do think they've started to get repetitive. Even though I look forward to Kumoricon every year, recently there hasn't been very many panels to my liking, especially on the final day. The ones that excite me the most are usually on Saturday and Sunday. Like I said before, I have no complaints with what gets scheduled and I'm not requesting any changes because I knew different people have different things they like and cons have to take what they can get.
But I would like to see more people submit different ideas for the future. It'd be fun to see some more unique ideas and stuff that would appeal to a wider audience. Even though there's nothing wrong with Homestuck and Hetalia panels, I think a lot of people would agree that some different things would be nice, too. I plan to submit Anime Debate and Once Upon an Anime again next year and an thinking of bringing back Anime Christmas.
I'd also like whoever did the Soul Eater panel to do it again in '13 and I wouldn't mind seeing more people do ones that relate to certain anime series.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 04:40:36 pm by PaladinCecil79 »

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Re: Question about Kumoricon panels
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 10:34:29 am »
I would like to see less Hetalia and Homestuck panels; one of each is plenty enough. It would also be nice to see a more broad variety of adult panels that aren't just hentai related, roasts, or anime dating (though I have nothing against these panels).
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline prussia

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 11:26:59 am »
1- i have no problem with what panels people prefer and what panels there are but isn't it a bit of an overreaction to say you don't want many homestuck or hetalia panels- honestly there were only two of each (unless there was a homestuck panel i didnt know about) i think that there being 2 hetalia meeting panels was a bit much, that i could definatly do without.
i really REALLY enjoyed the hetastuck panel, that one was like shabam! here comes a sweet friendship baby! i think that one really opened people up to either fandom

2- im not much for panels but my FAVORITE panel was the plus sized panel! heather needs an award for that bro! that panel made everyone feel so much better about themselves, and i really understand what the messages were! i'm 6 ft tall and i may not be as meaty as others but im plus sized to you know, that panel was like a live message bro, that needs to come back! beautifully done!

3- if you want a soul eater panel that badly then make one bro! :) people like to base their panels off what they're interested in and whats popular- right now homestuck is REALLY popular, probably why there were 'so many' homestuck panels. (i still feel like tehre wasn't many dog there was only like 2 or 3)

if you have a good panel idea then submit it! anyone can do it, if you put together a bit of planning :)

4- panels you dont exactly want to go to shouldnt annoy you, unless they're offending you, which is why i keep bringing that up this one is a personal oppinion. like i dont give two fudgesickles of there's a panel with adventure time veiwing sometime in the weekend, i probably wouldn't go cause im not too interested but still it happens bro

5- panels are mostly a fan thing nearly anyone can submit one, dont be scared to if you got an idea guys!

i want to submit an anime improv panel next year but like i said before im one of those people who is more comfortable giving my panels a theme.

SUMMERY-
1- love and toleration bro
2-totally loved +size panel
3- if you got a panel idea you should work on making it happen bro! :3
4- again more love and toleration- dont go to a panel if you dont like it
5- dont be afraid to run a panel! X3 i've done it what 2-3 times now! it can be a bit nervewracking but its all worth it man!

im done here. i know its alot. sorry XD

Offline prussia

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 11:28:29 am »
oh and i think the q and a panels aren't very fun there's kinda alot (they can get fun if you have the right crowd)

i think there should be more game panels with audience participation! (bad example: duck duck goose panel)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 10:09:15 pm »
My reasons for saying less Hetalia and Homestuck is for three main reasons:

1) The way in which these various panels are run are the same, with insignificant differences.  There are plenty of other ideas that are worth having that get denied for the same reason, yet these fandoms are allowed to have multiple panels.  (Though I did appreciate the idea of having a "Let's get along" panel between the two fandoms; some of their members need to chill).

2) With less of these two types of panels occurring, there's more room for a wider variety of panels.  There's some talk about doing more panels that relate to Japanese culture some how.  (I'm thinking about covering some of Japan's top holidays and their references in anime titles).  These seem more "anime con" relevant than a webcomic or a single series, so I'd like to see less of them in order to make more room for these.

3) I'm not sure about the Homestuck crowd, but from what I've seen and heard from the Hetalians, a big reason (but not sole reason) for multiple panels has been because many of the fans want to do their own spin on things or they are having squabbles with their fellow fans.  I may love certain shows over the rest, but not enough to go "Fine!  I'll run my own Ranma 1/2 panel, and it will be better than what they're doing!"  In an indirect way, it feels like the programming department is pandering to their childish drama-fests that I find to be anti-con-like.

I don't care if there is a panel for each fandom.  However, two of each is pushing it, and three or more of each is insane, especially if at least two of them are the same thing but run by different panelists.  Other fandoms and ideas ought to be given some time, too; having the same restrictions on them that every other group has to abide by is only fair.

Slight note for you, prussia: I've actually ran at least one panel every year since '08.  With that, I've also had some ideas shot down, sometimes for the reasons that I've brought up.  (Others have had different reasons, too).  Not every idea gets approved; as I understand it, most submissions get shot down, and for various reasons.  Just submitting something doesn't guarantee that it will happen.

Oh, something else for Paladin's original question: in the event that panels (or events) require lines, it would be nice if the Yojimbo that are watching the door know what they're doing and aren't jerks about it.  I know that a lot of the previous year's problems are going to be addressed for '13, but some of the issues shouldn't have even been issues to begin with.  Hopefully they'll be better this year...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 07:43:46 am by Washougal_Otaku »

Offline prussia

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 11:28:42 pm »
i know alot of the hetalia fans are crazy as heck, but do keep in mind alot of them are minors around 12-13 and these tend to be the ones who give fandoms a bad name, same goes for homestuck alot of younger kids are into it this is why the fandom is 'bad' i try to keep my distance from most fans at cons for these reasons.

and where some people's panels are denyed this is where i wonder what did you put on your submission?
-this is not at you specifically this is mostly to people who're new at panels but it applys where most peoples ideas get shot down-
-did they state what the panel was about
-HOW they would run it
-personal policies on who needs to be controled in a crowd and how certain situations should be handled.
-is this your first panel?
-how big do you think the room should be (it should be kept small if you're a beginner panelist)

i was honestly surprised at how many people at the hetalia world meeting panels weren't kicked out of the panel room. there were a few fans in there (each of which i later learned was a 12-13 yr old minor) who were really kinda crazy, making things above pg-13 rating etc.

i know that this is turning off point of the thread but even if you do think there should be more or less of certain kinds of panels its not really anyones place to base an entire fandom off of a couple buttheads who ruin their name and rep.

i personally don't like doing q and a panels (which is most of the panels run by fandoms at most cons for some reason) because its so commonly done. i like to do something that jazz's it up a bit.

of course not everyone is creative and not everyone comes up with ideas that suit others fancy and alot of people dont even have the courage to submit a panel when they get a good idea.

its not so much 'my panel didn't happen im upset' how people should think about it is 'oh maby i'll rething my ideas get it all restraightened in a way it works in my head and the convention bord thinks it works.' the people who run conventions dont like to pick too far fetched ideas- things they dont think people will be interested- and common panels. >at least at most conventions< this is what i've learned as i've tryed to run my panels.

i know its not too great to have too much of one thing/fandom (trust me the first time i saw someone with a tardis and dalek designed dress's i was blown away but then at kcon for some reason everyone was doing this) but really its not bothering hurting anyone until it becomes a problem and when that happens con staff will keep it from happening again.
-here i go on and on i think i'll just stop here before i make myself sound like more of an ass :I  
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 11:30:20 pm by prussia »

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 07:42:43 am »
i know alot of the hetalia fans are crazy as heck, but do keep in mind alot of them are minors around 12-13 and these tend to be the ones who give fandoms a bad name, same goes for homestuck alot of younger kids are into it this is why the fandom is 'bad' i try to keep my distance from most fans at cons for these reasons.

Most of the types of fans that you're referring to that I'm aware of are 16-25. This may be due to our age differences, as well.

and where some people's panels are denyed this is where i wonder what did you put on your submission?

its not so much 'my panel didn't happen im upset' how people should think about it is 'oh maby i'll rething my ideas get it all restraightened in a way it works in my head and the convention bord thinks it works.' the people who run conventions dont like to pick too far fetched ideas- things they dont think people will be interested- and common panels. >at least at most conventions< this is what i've learned as i've tryed to run my panels.

Trust me, these have nothing to do with it.  I know the head of the programming department,, and have for years, now.  I've heard her explain to groups, individuals, and me personally the various reasons how she, and her department, justifies rejections.  Most of the time, it's due to a perceived idea on what will have plenty of people.  As of late, a big part of it is due to higher application counts.

i know that this is turning off point of the thread but even if you do think there should be more or less of certain kinds of panels its not really anyones place to base an entire fandom off of a couple buttheads who ruin their name and rep.

Indeed, but this is not what I was saying.  Too many of the same panels gets boring and restrictive for the con attendees as a whole.  I like Hetalia, as well, but I still believe that there doesn't need to be four panels for one fanbase.  I would say the same thing if the con was packed full of my favorite shows (though an entire con dedicated to The Slayers would be pretty bad ass...).

This is another something that I've never liked about panels or events at cons in general, but I'm sure isn't going to change any time soon: room names.  What's wrong with calling the room "Oak" or "Jefferson," as the original sites would indicate?  Why the need to modify the names?  "Where's the manga library?"  "In the room called 'Library'."  Why not just say "It's in Hemlock."?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 07:43:15 am by Washougal_Otaku »

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 03:13:06 pm »
This is another something that I've never liked about panels or events at cons in general, but I'm sure isn't going to change any time soon: room names.  What's wrong with calling the room "Oak" or "Jefferson," as the original sites would indicate?  Why the need to modify the names?  "Where's the manga library?"  "In the room called 'Library'."  Why not just say "It's in Hemlock."?

Continuity between years where different con rooms are in different hotel rooms (or even in different hotels), ability to swap rooms in the layout without changing the schedule or plan the schedule in advance of the layout, and because the con room name is more useful in most cases (example: "The concert will be in Heritage" vs "The concert will be in Main Events"). The map is labeled with the con names, and the schedule gives both names, so it shouldn't be much of an issue.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 05:47:17 pm »
It's not so much an "issue" as it is an annoyance.  I can live with it, I've just never really seen the logic in it.