Author Topic: What I learned at Kumoricon  (Read 59903 times)

Offline Chek

• Chibi
    • Cheklov's Stupidblog
Re: What I learned at Kumoricon
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2013, 04:37:05 pm »
 2004 - …Cosplay is AWESOME. Where has this been all my life? Also that my elder brother is NOT technically a sufficient guardian, even though staff let me in with his signature anyway.
2005 – I KNOW WHAT I AM DOING WHEN IT COMES TO SEWING (even though I am running a 103 fever). People in the lobby at one am are really friendly and will happily go to 7-11 with you!
2006 – If you give them cookies, they WILL come to the dark side.
2007 -  Nose divots in masks. Important. So very important.
2008 – No one else thinks fat Edward is funny. :c
2009 – Never paint yourself blue again. Also, people get… weird when you have tentacles. REALLY weird.
2010 – I am going to die of heatstroke in this mask, but I am going to die AWESOME.
2011 – Wow this is the last time I don’t line a skirt.
2012 – Stop wearing the mask if it is going to kill you of heatstroke. No matter how cool it looks. Death isn’t worth it. But it’s awesome that people still want pictures when you’ve only got half your cosplay on because of it.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 04:45:27 pm by Chek »

Offline Besieged.Infection

• Cabbit
    • Infection's Notebook
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2013, 10:41:33 am »
2008: The Melancholy of Being a Weaboo
2009: It's dangerous to go alone - take this! *Dun-na-na-na! Cell phone!* (Demonic voice: AND DON'T LOSE IT.)
2010: If people like you, and you have an obscure OTP that you aren't obnoxious about, they will indulge you.
2011: Huh - I can walk to Kumoricon, now. Also, bring twice as much food as you think you need if you have hypoglycemia and no money.
2012: Always always ALWAYS double-layer fabric and low-grade painkillers get me high. And not in a good way.
Sakuracon '13: 19th Century Xion (Kingdom Hearts), 18th Century-Style Humanoid Tonberry (Final Fantasy VII), Lilith (Blood Jew'l), and (Female?) Kyouya O. (Ouran.)

Offline Raveen92

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2013, 10:04:27 am »
2013: Don't go to your first room party with no idea your tolerence for such things involved.
Kumoricon 2016 Hopes
Human Creeper (Minecraft)- 100% Casual
Phi (Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward)- 95%
Musa (Winx Club: Season 1 Fairy) - 0%
Amy Wong (Futurama) - 0%
???

Offline MadMoai

• Sailor Scout
    • My deviantart
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2013, 11:38:59 am »
2013 -  Do not try to dance at 4:00 in the afternoon while wearing black when it is hotter than 80 degrees out. However, dancing at night can be really fun! And it doesn't get too hot.
Hmm.. gonna have to find out when I can next go to Kumoricon. Might not be until 2019.

Offline JaegerDarkness

• Catgirl
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2013, 12:58:51 pm »
2010 - THIS HOTEL SUCKS AND I ONLY GOT TO ATTEND TWO DAYS!!!!!!!!
2011 - Don't stay at the Red Lion. You miss out on lots of fun. Also, I LOVE THE CHAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2012 - NOTE TO SELF: Must pay for hotel room, myself, so I can choose the check-in date.

2013 - I DON'T WANNA GO HOME!!!!!!! *cries loudly*
~~Formerly Otaku_24~~

K-con '22 Cosplays
FOR SURE: Kirito, Tanjiro Kamado, & Genderbent Mori Calliope*
MAYBE: Who knows

*Please don’t call me Calvin, I prefer Morichi.

MEMBER OF CHAIR ARMY!
Please join my party!
In the Survey Corps
Deku x Uraraka

Offline Amezuki

• Cabbit
    • My no-frills SAO/fanfic/language-geek page
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2013, 01:10:23 pm »
This was my first Kumoricon, and my first con cosplaying in... about 12 years. So:

1. Next year, register early and get a room at the Hilton. Commuting from the Portlander Inn across the water sucks on Day 0 and so does paying for parking.
2. Spending half the weekend running around the park wearing a heavy suit is not recommended.
3. Which is unfortunate, because the park is where most of the fun is.
4. Awesome friends make con 1000x more awesome, even if you just met them.
5. Take more pictures. Take ALL the pictures.

I'll be back next year. ^_^

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2013, 01:11:59 pm »
2013 : Don't wear a leather jacket, even if it is part of your Ninth Doctor cosplay lol

Offline Sui Kune

• Cabbit
    • Sui-Kun.net
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2013, 02:24:41 pm »
2013 (first Kumoricon whoo!)

Day 1: Yes, this is a summer con. Wearing three layers of cotton and polyester sucks, but don't worry, you'll cool off inside.

Day 2: Sunscreen. You're ginger, you know you burst into flames upon contact with the sun. And you NEED much better insoles for those damn boots, really regret not being able to be Super Sailor Saturn for more time.
✿ Messiah of Silence [Sailormoon S]
✿ Super Sailor Saturn [Sailormoon SailorStars]
✿ Tomoe Hotaru [Mugen Gakuen Junior High Winter Uniform]

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2013, 03:13:41 pm »
2013:
  • Even if my friend is usually the one to facilitate my interaction with fellow humans, it's okay to approach people I've met in the past and greet them. Hey, I might even get a really good hug or two...
  • Cosplaying something really small is cool, since I was the only Bee, but I also missed out on being part of a group. It was much more fun to double up on a character for the OFF photoshoot that be totally alone all of Sunday.
  • One consequence of being alone is that guys think that it's now okay to hit on you. I must basically stick to some other person or group at all times if I want to avoid this awkwardness.
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline KingOfSassgard

• Sailor Scout
    • Instagram
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2013, 03:24:57 pm »
~2013~

- Fandoms change, so don't judge them based on your first experience
- Bring eye drops next time so your eyes aren't blood shot
- Try to fix your horns so they don't break easily and slid down your face constantly during photos or just walking around
- Find where the lines are forming and go there as soon as you can
- Don't wear shoes that will end up being super uncomfortable
- Challenge yourself to be at least somewhat in character
- Drink tons of water even if you aren't that thirsty
- Try to get a room at the Hilton
- It's fun to be in a cosplay that little kids recognize and come up to you
Used to be DasDeutsch

Tumblr: http://the-king-of-sassgard.tumblr.com

Offline baka-imouto

• Chibi
    • Tumblr
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2013, 04:14:03 pm »

2012: Small conventions are awesome!!
Wear costumes that are made for warm weather (Damn you Bleach Shinigami uniforms)
Make sure you packed those extra wig caps BEFORE heading out of Seattle.

Seeing how last year was my first Kumoricon, this list is painfully short...

2013: Planning a group to go down to the con and share a couple of rooms is so stressful, but very worth it!!
I need to be more confident with my sewing and enter more contests!! (Entered my first on at this con and got an award for my applique, which I didn't think was very good looking.)
Make sure you know where that huge photoshoot is going to be meeting so you don't drag people around for 15 minutes in the midday sun.. Props to everyone who held with me during the Hetalia photoshoot.

Definitely going to con for all four days next year, hopefully in the Hilton!
Kumoricon 2016: (Days are undecided so far)

Halloween 2010 Prussia (In progress- prop and cosplay started)
Halloween 2011 slave Prussia (In progress- cosplay finished and props started)
Cardverse Prussia (Well.. I have the pattern. -shrugs-)

Offline TheWillRogers

• Cabbit
    • The Blog of The Will Rogers
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2013, 04:55:05 pm »
2010: Cons are fun, dont go without a cosplay
2011: raves are exhausting, drink lots of gatorade while in a closed helmet all day(daft punk)
2012: more people in the hotel room the marrier, don't go without a cosplay
2013: don't give yourself 2 weeks to build a full suit of armor, and get a room at a closer hotel.

Offline RoriLei

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2013, 05:14:10 pm »
2013:
  • Don't get your hopes up too high, sometimes things get canceled or messed up. But there's always more stuff to do.
  • Set up a plan ahead of time, but leave some room for spontaneity.
  • Be confident in your cosplaying skills. If you can dream it, you can make it! And if you can make it, you can compete in it!
  • Plan for the weather. Don't wear your black-pants cosplay on the hottest day and your white-shorts cosplay on the coldest night.
  • Start conversations. Everyone has an interesting tale they want to tell.
  • Bring a map!
Kumoricon 2014: Possibilities - Female Rock Lee (Naruto). Female Mako (LoK). Poison Shroom Toadette (Mario). Hawkeye (Marvel). Vaporeon (Pokemon). Izzy (TDI). Maskless Deadpool (Marvel). Jubilee (Marvel). Pacific Rim character.

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2013, 05:15:39 pm »
2004: If you're dressed as a generic character, and someone recognizes you as a specific character, go with it.
2005: Wear recognizable costumes, and don't bleach your hair.
2006: Wear a costume, not just crazy clothes.
2007: Be proud of your bada$$ costumes, and don't dye your hair black.
2008: Using the same wig for all of your costumes is very convenient!
2009: Be creative with costumes and don't be surprised if a lot of people like you for it.
2010: Go all out and get all of the details right (of your costume).
2011: Have someone to pal around with at con all the time (being alone sucks).
2012: Brainstorm a skit, practice for one night, perform at the cosplay contest; don't be surprised if you win an award. XD

Most of these are costume related because I have a great time pretty much all the time at Kumoricon (except 2011). lol

2013: BRING SUNSCREEN. Even if you're not planning to be outside... Also, if you are participating in pro-bending, getting in shape before hand would be nice so you can move your body after con without being in pain.
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)
-Cordelia (Fire Emblem Awakening)
-Marauder Ashe (League of Legends)
-??? Who knows what else. Probably a cosplay I can wear my glasses with.

Offline Citael

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2013, 05:45:09 pm »
2013: BRING SUNSCREEN. Even if you're not planning to be outside... Also, if you are participating in pro-bending, getting in shape before hand would be nice so you can move your body after con without being in pain.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS SUNSCREEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNN

Offline DSaturn

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2013, 10:06:13 am »
Unfortunately:

2013: The Cosplay Contest isn't always the best event that you've waited all year to see.
Kumoricon 2013 The Phoenix Down Slackers will be cosplaying:

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2013, 04:35:22 pm »
Unfortunately:

2013: The Cosplay Contest isn't always the best event that you've waited all year to see.

That's unfortunate indeed. I thought it was better this year than last year!
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)
-Cordelia (Fire Emblem Awakening)
-Marauder Ashe (League of Legends)
-??? Who knows what else. Probably a cosplay I can wear my glasses with.

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2013, 06:13:47 pm »
2007: Don't forget to eat and being a legally blind day tripper doesn't work.
2008: V.I.P. ROCKS!!!!
2009: Taekwondo and Kumoricon can work.
2010: I never realized how Similiar to Henry Townshend of SIlent hill 4 I look.
2011: There are anime fans older than 30!
2012: The vancouver Hilton and Red Lion on the Quay ROCK!!!! And Photoshoots are fun!
2013: When you've lost something Kumoricon goers when they find you and your lost item are some of the most AWESOME and honest people there are.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 06:15:51 pm by Animeman73 »
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline princess_of_zeal

• Catgirl
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2013, 08:22:23 pm »
2012:

-If you think you've had enough protein, no you haven't, easy more.

-Be staff next year for the coolness of helping out and the perks.

-the repair kit worked great and helped many others.  Repeat next year.

-glomp circles are kind of fun.

-get a room...any room...preferably at the hilton.

-find people to take pictures at photo shoots.

-being staff was just neat as I was hoping.

-People want me to do more individual shots when taking pictures of others.   (Might offer to do some shoots for people.)

-short skirts are awkward to wear around looks of people because I keep trying to pull the skirt down.  I apologize to anyone that might have seen too much.  x_x

-getting a room at the hilton was as awesome as I thought it was going to be.

-Next year, if I geta room at the hilton again, do more cosplays.  (I did one per day)

Meh.  I'll add more later.

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2013, 02:21:09 pm »
What I learned from Kumoricon 2013: 3DS Max is an awesome program for getting measurments and dimensions to scale with the human body. This is not what I got the program or the schooling for, but awesome none the less!
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline Tsukinya

• Chibi
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2013, 03:23:33 pm »
2007: Actually look at the schedule ahead of time and pick out some panels you'd like to attend
2009: Don't do the scavenger hunt; it eats up the entire weekend, and you get nothing from doing it (not the case anymore ;) ).  Don't expect to simply walk into an 18+ panel - get there EARLY.  Next year, plan ahead for a cosplay
2010: Con is so super amazing when you've made an awesome costume for your husband (who's never been into cosplay) and he's so loved at con that he vows to never go without a cosplay again.  (Also, be sure to cosplay with said husband so you can be loved too :D ).  Buy sake tickets as early as possible.
2011: Staying AT the hotel makes for a much more enjoyable experience!  Paper mache isn't very comfortable to sit on.  Yellow face paint wreaks utter havoc on your skin.
2012: Try not to cosplay such a new character.. no one recognizes you.  Staffing has its perks; do it again!  Take Day 4 off from work... :P

SOO glad I took Day 4 this year!  After 4 nights with 14hrs total sleep, it was entirely worth it!  (Plus, it meant I could chill with some awesome people after Dead Dog ;))

2013: Hire more photographers so you can delegate more and actually see some of the awesome cosplays at Con.  Find a way to coerce convince husband to staff - it's such an awesome side of Kumo with which to be involved!  Stay in one of the Publicity rooms.  Pranks with (not on) the guests are FUN!  Plan more ahead of time to ensure they can partake.  I'm due for another epic cosplay - start NOW.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2013, 06:50:28 pm »
2013 red Lyon rooms may be cheaper then the Hilton, but you get what you pay for.
Sadly it was the worst hotel experience I have ever had. Which says a lot, I am 31 and have been to every single k-con, and stayed at con hotels at all but one (red lion on the water had a room at  Oxford suites)
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline alxreaper

• Cabbit
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2013, 10:28:50 pm »
- I really should look into doing a cosplay that doesn't impair vision and makes my hands useless.
- foam helmets get heavy after awhile.
- in fact, foam helmets and hot doesn't mix.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 10:34:48 pm by alxreaper »

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2013, 11:41:47 pm »
2013:
- Do not tempt Fate. She'll beat you up.
- Bring the fan, always.
- Murder all the spiders in the hotel room.
- Pack more Ibuprophen and Arnica cream
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2013, 02:06:48 am »
2010: Make sure you register for the con in advance and have a plan. (This was my first time and I had NO CLUE what to expect!)
2011: Spend more time picking out/assembling a costume, don't just throw something together. Also, it's better to stay at a hotel.
2012: If you plan on going to the photobooth, pick one day to go-the wait is murder and wastes time you could be spending hanging out.
Key Tip: You go to have fun, so have fun! Wear a costume (trust me, you'll feel awkward and uncomfortable walking around without one), and go to the events/play games (you'll have lots of fun and make new friends!).  ;)

2013: Bring more than one costume for variety and to have something else to wear when one gets soaked with sweat. When meeting for a photoshoot, meet somewhere that isn't outside. Voice actors are fun and friendly, so try to meet more next time! On the month of the con, try to stay calm. (I had horrible stomach pains due to stress five days before con started, not fun!) Make sure your cosplay is completely functional - my boots were a size smaller and killed my feet and the shoulder strap on my backpack sometimes came undone. Keep a folding fan and bottle of water with you at all times! (I kept water at my room and a fan in my bag; it would've been nice to have both with me)  :P
-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

Message me if you're doing similar cosplays and want to meet for photos!

Offline Phoenixewolf

• Oni
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2013, 10:52:46 pm »
So having just found this fantastic thread. I haven't posted anything yet...though my cousin has and pretty much summed up con the last couple of years. Loved all my con experience but these are the things that stand out.
2008: Avoid giant props, lest you get squashed.
2009: Avoid double booking hotels, chaos. absolute chaos. ( A wedding during con?! Really!?)
2010: Don't attend with people who aren't really your friends, just puts a damper on things.
2011: Cosplaying- not that hard and really fun
2012: Bring a newbie, making their con amazing makes con 10 times more amazing for you
2013: People are idiots sometime, just accept it an move on. Oh and Cards Against Humanity best game ever!
Kumoricon 2014
Medusa (Soul Eater)
Death the Kid (Soul Eater)
Midna- Human Form (Twilight Princess)
?????

Phoenix Down Slackers
"Eh We'll Revive You Later!"

Offline Raveen92

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2014, 08:46:36 pm »
2014: Room Parties can be fun and people can be very supportive.
Kumoricon 2016 Hopes
Human Creeper (Minecraft)- 100% Casual
Phi (Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward)- 95%
Musa (Winx Club: Season 1 Fairy) - 0%
Amy Wong (Futurama) - 0%
???

Offline Hillopurkki

• Cabbit
    • My Art Blog
« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2014, 09:20:04 pm »
2011: Avoid elitist dicks. Play it cool. Don't automatically assume everyone is touchy feely.
2013: Comfort trumps cosplay, don't be afraid to take a break if the heat is too tough.
2014: Buy gel insoles for your shoes!!

Terve, Maria, armoitettu,  Herra sinun kanssasi.
I literally can only remember the Hail Mary in Finnish, nothing else hahaha.

Offline princess_of_zeal

• Catgirl
« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2014, 10:39:37 pm »
-Attack on Link really confuses me when it's day 4.  (Link wearing an attack on titan cape thingy.)  I blame it on the sun.  <.< >.>

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2014, 01:10:40 am »
2014 - Room closer to con. If not Hilton.

Offline Woodrat

• Cabbit
« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2014, 01:30:51 am »

- Black gear plus evil day star equals heat. Consider avoiding all black gear in the future or hide in the shade.
-- Consider lighter and thinner material in general in the future, least during the day.

- Invest in better footwear for the walkings.

- Invest in a better camera.

Offline fairly_foxy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2014, 04:42:20 am »

Things I learned in 2012.
1. Having friends that are cosplaying from the same anime might make your character more recognizable.
2. Have friends that aren't also working the con be your con buddies.
3. Think of more than one pose for pictures.
4. OMGA THERE ARE PANELS UPSTAIRS? xD (seriously happened on day 2.)
5. Wow... that "lucky bag" had NOTHING anime in it. There was a 2Pac poster in it and a diary of the wimpy kid bobblehead. Pretty much learned to only get lucky bags that might actually be remotely lucky.

Things I learned in 2013.
1. Having friends who actually want to hang with you for most of the con is better than simply having your friends hang out with you a couple hours. :)
2. Lucky bags at Kumoricon aren't ever lucky.
3. That Jason Thompson needs to come back to Kumoricon every year so I can go to his panels that made me so happy.
4. That there really needs to be a yaoi panel for those of us who want consent in our yaoi or for consent to be taken seriously in our yaoi.
5. Some yaoi fans are total nutjobs.
Things I learned in 2014
1. As a disabled person I am supposed to get an ADA sticker to get extra help with staying in line.
2. Not buying a lucky back was a good thing to do this year. Got more things I actually wanted.
3. I need rubber insoles.
4. The hotel has wheelchairs in case my condition acts up!
5. My service dog needs more work before she can make it through Kumori and sometimes it is OK to rely on a good service person who knows what they are doing and where they are going.
6. Chuck Huber is one of my favorite voice actors because he is nice.
7. Don't be afraid to talk to yoji about your disability. They are pretty awesome people.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2014, 12:50:12 pm »
2013:
- Do not tempt Fate. She'll beat you up.
- Bring the fan, always.
- Murder all the spiders in the hotel room.
- Pack more Ibuprophen and Arnica cream
2014:
- Actually use the Arnica cream at con
- Don't opt out carrying the water-bottle
- Let people know that you need to eat between your panels even though it's fun talking to them
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline TardisPants

• Cabbit
« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2014, 04:05:28 pm »
2014: Don't choose a cosplay next year with a long black coat. Or at least something that doesn't have you covered head to toe in black.

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2014, 06:13:05 pm »
2014: Get my hotel room sooner to avoid any hassles.
 - All that stuff I learned from how to talk to anyone, anywhere, anytime really works.
- Having friends i know at Kumoricon helps a lot.
- Really need to work on my Sub-Zero costume for next year.
- V.I.P. is a lifesaver when it comes to lines.
- There are a lot of good panels but I'm thinking I'd like to do some panels of my oown next year..(maybe).
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline MadMoai

• Sailor Scout
    • My deviantart
« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2014, 06:17:13 pm »
Let's see, here are some things I learned for 2014:

-Participating in the cosplay contest is really time consuming but really fun.
-Don't try to sing in the karaoke room when you lost your voice because of a cold.
-Finding new anime through its music is even better than I thought.
-It's way more meaningful when someone compliments a cosplay you made than a cosplay you bought.
-Have to be careful not to sit on my tail when I have one.
-Being the only Gakupo at the Vocaloid photoshoot isn't always easy!

One more, after looking at pictures:
-The friends I've met at KumoriCon are really awesome people and I wish I could hang out with them more than once or twice a year.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 06:31:30 pm by MadMoai »
Hmm.. gonna have to find out when I can next go to Kumoricon. Might not be until 2019.

Offline marissaofunderground

• Cabbit
    • The Peculiar Pink Pixie
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2014, 09:02:30 pm »
2007: Pre-register for the convention next time...and stay for more than one day!
2008: Don't bring a plushie of a character you like that nobody else likes. You're only displaying that you have something wrong with you.
2009. Stay for all 3 days next year - and be a different character each day!
2010: Go to more panels, and while generic costumes are fun, cosplaying characters are even more fun.
2011: Save more money to go next year because you know you'll regret skipping this year.
2012: Keep yourself under control and whatever you do do not listen to salespeople or else you'll end up losing all of your budget you had saved for souvenirs.
2013: Get a hotel next year. Also don't be a scatterbrain and leave your stuff everywhere. Keep making sure you have EVERYTHING you're carrying with you and be sure not to leave anything anywhere.
2014: Book your hotel reservations ASAP, know when reservations are open and get somebody to register with you so you know when they are available as rooms book out faster than San Diego Comic Con tickets, try joining a cosplay group, and DO NOT COSPLAY AS PRINCESS ANNA EVER AGAIN or as any character on the Bingo list for that manner with the exception of Pinkie Pie. Nobody will leave you alone if you do. Sure, being asked for pictures is fine, but every 3 minutes is not okay. Especially when you have a backpack you have to carry and take off and set aside to pose for a picture after you just put it on after having another picture taken, are trying to find and get to your panel, just want lunch, just want to text a friend or use a bathroom, and nobody, NOBODY will leave you alone. Now I know how it feels to be a celebrity and the paparazzi are constantly stalking you. I honestly felt terrible that evening saying "no" to picture requests but I had had enough and was getting really sick of it. I had to wear a sign telling people to stop! That's how bad it got.
Oh, and don't drink anything too strong. Being drunk at a con is not okay. There are kids present! (Good thing it was very late in the night when that happened to me.)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 09:12:06 pm by marissaofunderground »
Kumoricon 2015 cosplays:
Day 1-2: Lapis Lazuli (Steven Universe)
Day 2-3: Vivi (Mystery Skulls Animated - Ghost)
Day 4: Undecided

Offline princess_of_zeal

• Catgirl
« Reply #87 on: September 04, 2014, 12:38:23 am »
2014: Book your hotel reservations ASAP, know when reservations are open and get somebody to register with you so you know when they are available as rooms book out faster than San Diego Comic Con tickets, try joining a cosplay group, and DO NOT COSPLAY AS PRINCESS ANNA EVER AGAIN or as any character on the Bingo list for that manner with the exception of Pinkie Pie. Nobody will leave you alone if you do. Sure, being asked for pictures is fine, but every 3 minutes is not okay. Especially when you have a backpack you have to carry and take off and set aside to pose for a picture after you just put it on after having another picture taken, are trying to find and get to your panel, just want lunch, just want to text a friend or use a bathroom, and nobody, NOBODY will leave you alone. Now I know how it feels to be a celebrity and the paparazzi are constantly stalking you. I honestly felt terrible that evening saying "no" to picture requests but I had had enough and was getting really sick of it.

I was a bingo character once so I know what you're talking about.  Lol.  I didn't know at the time I was either.  I was thinking "I knew I would get pictures taken but this is ridiculous!"

Offline Pumpkinziggy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2014, 05:35:05 pm »
I learned from 2014: Make SURE that you preregister. I thought I had preregistered back in December, but it turns out it didn't go through, and I hadn't bothered to double check my e-mail for a receipt or confirmation until two or three days before the con. It ended up being okay, but it was a silly mistake. XD

Also, I am continuing to unintentionally learn the ways of "Cosplay a character that everyone knows about but nobody cosplays, and you will be noticed!"

Third, going to conventions with friends you don't get to see as much is a lot more fun than just going with your family!

Lastly, sleep gets priority. I really wanted to go to the Cosplay Improv Show because I went two years ago and loved it, but missed last year. But it was at 9:30 at night, and I was already tired on the first day. I opted to sleep instead, and in hindsight that was a good idea, because I don't want to get sick from lack of sleep, or be too tired to really enjoy anything.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 05:36:39 pm by Pumpkinziggy »
Welp, can't come to Kumoricon for the next four years... See you all in 2019 hopefully ;w;

Offline Kleptostopheles

• Oni
« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2014, 09:04:30 pm »
This is a compilation of three cosplayers:
Shego, Drakken,  and Killigan

'04  Cosplaying is not a crime.

'05  Everything is HOT HOT HOT. Literally...so hot.
   First convention. I was terrified and oh so very hot.

'06 The parting of the crocodile hunter.
Do NOT enter the girls restroom as Sasuke. So many awkward pics...There was a hoard..a line if you will.

'07 Death from above.
Don't drop pennies from the balcony in the lobby on a guy you like.. --Sorry Mike aka Zabuza
Just say "Hi" to them.
If you are blind or vision impaired while wearing a costume, do not allow people to sign you without supervision--drawing poo isn't nice.

'08 AH OLD VENUE! Feels like home.
Don't stroll through the park by Lloyd center. Just stay away. If you hear gunfire it is NOT apart of the main events.
If you see a guy with a gun and it has no zip tye; its not peace bonded I promise.
ITS PEACE BONDED I SWEAR  ;)
Don't let their appearances fool you. Some sweet lolita's are really mean. Especially when they try to light you on fire.

'09 CLAUSTROPHOBIA!!

'10 CLAUSTROPHOBIA THE SEQUEL!!

'11 WEWWWWW BIGGER PLACE!
Wait...we have to walk to buy swag?! LAAAAMMEEE

'12 OHH it's the Hilton again!!!
More walking to get swag...
Riding fish is couture.
Its okay to ride the fish like a bucking bronco.

'13 YAAAAYY don't have to walk to buy swag

'14 CLAUSTROPHOBIA 3 : THE RECKONING.
These are not the shuttles you are looking for.
The staff always lies.
Unisex bathrooms....WHY?
As organized as a kinder garden classroom.
If you do not see the shuttle...just wait longer! SAID NO COSPLAYER EVER!
Where did the swag go? IN THE OTHER HOTEL!?
Bootleggers...WATCH WHAT YOU BUY.
Hotel discount is a LIE. DON'T believe everything you read on the website.

Offline TheWillRogers

• Cabbit
    • The Blog of The Will Rogers
« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2014, 10:11:43 pm »
this is fun
2010:

• Cons are fun
  • bring people for cheaper hotel next year.
2011:Cosplay:
Cosplay: Daft Punk(Guy)
  • Don't assume you know how to make electronics, you'll catch another helmet on fire.
  • Pre-Register
  • Don't buy a costume and assume all the parts are the same size.
  • the rave is a blast!
  • The Chair was fun until people weren't able to do their skits without chair chanting...
2012:
  • The rave is pretty fun.
  • Things happened this year, why do I not remember them?
2013:
Cosplay: Iron Man
  • Don't spend 2 weeks on your cosplay, everyone will say it's awesome but you will hate it.
  • Make cosplay that doesn't take 2 other people 5 minutes to assemble onto you.
  • Drink Water.
  • Photo shoots are chaotic, and when you have no idea whats going on it's very overwhelming.
  • The Chair can burn.
  • The rave is over rated
2014:
Cosplay: Solaire of Astora
  • Don't spend 2 weeks on your cosplay, everyone will say it's awesome but you will hate it.
  • Don't go to panel's that could include a guests views on the universe-- you're a physicist what were you thinking
  • The rave music is too loud, for real tho, 132 dB in the front of the dancing pack is almost attempted murder
  • The Chair has superseded my mortal hatred and has become a folk legend and old god.
  • You will never have a cosplay better than Black Satan.
I think i just chronologed myself getting older...
Also i don't know why tags are showing up I've deleted them several times already...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 10:46:46 pm by TheWillRogers »

Offline JaegerDarkness

• Catgirl
« Reply #91 on: September 06, 2014, 06:10:32 pm »
2010 - THIS HOTEL SUCKS AND I ONLY GOT TO ATTEND TWO DAYS!!!!!!!!
2011 - Don't stay at the Red Lion. You miss out on lots of fun. Also, I LOVE THE CHAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2012 - NOTE TO SELF: Must pay for hotel room, myself, so I can choose the check-in date.

2013 - I DON'T WANNA GO HOME!!!!!!! *cries loudly*

2014 - This is gonna a lengthy list;
1. FOUR DAYS IS AWESOME!!!!
2. Book a hotel room, as soon as reservations open.
3. Bring a fan, when obligations prevent you from going to your hotel room.
4. Don't annoy congoers, who happen to be forum members.
5. Getting kicked in the face, isn't as easy in real life, as it is in anime.
6. I REALLY WANT THE COMPLETE "EREN JÄGER SURVEY CORPS" COSPLAY, FOR NEXT YEAR!!!!!!
7. Have fun, but don't overdo it, unless you enjoy being sick.
8. SEID IHR DAS ESSEN?! NEIN, WIR SIND DIE JÄGER!!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 12:13:41 am by Otaku_24 »
~~Formerly Otaku_24~~

K-con '22 Cosplays
FOR SURE: Kirito, Tanjiro Kamado, & Genderbent Mori Calliope*
MAYBE: Who knows

*Please don’t call me Calvin, I prefer Morichi.

MEMBER OF CHAIR ARMY!
Please join my party!
In the Survey Corps
Deku x Uraraka

Offline KingOfAutumn

• Cabbit
    • RMD
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2014, 09:13:56 pm »
2011 (Amu Hinamori - Shugo Chara!)
- Going as a minor isn't all that fun since your mom has to be with you at all times.
- Plan your cosplays more than a week ahead of time.
- Watch more anime so you don't feel lost and don't know what anyone is cosplaying.
- Don't be shy.
- Greasy dirty blonde hair is not sufficient for a pink haired character.
- Don't wear your nerdy glasses with your cosplay.
2012 (Elizabeth Midford - Kuroshitsuji)
- Going with your best friend is fun.
- Minimal parental supervision is good (but now that I look back, I was a really obnoxious 13 year old *coughweaboocough* and it probably would've been better because they would've kept me quiet).
- Waking up at 6am isn't worth it (You'll just be tired the rest of the day).
- Your greasy dirty blonde hair is nasty. Stop. Buy a goddamn wig.
- Maybe being shy is a good idea (I regret most of this year, I was really annoying)
2013 (Rin Kagamine - Alluring Secret ~Black Vow~, Honey-senpai - OHSHC, Badō Nails - Dogs: Bullet & Carnage)
- Waking up at 6am isn't worth it. Ever. Why do you do this? It's a bad idea.
- Being without parental supervision is great (I was better this year, no longer a weaboo by then).
- Having a wig is great. The fact that you fixed your nasty hair grants you permission to use is for cosplay.
- Feel confident to correct people about your gender when they get it wrong (I constantly got called "miss")
- Bringing more friends is a good idea.
- Taking pictures is a good idea.
- Don't be too trusting of shifty people from con (bad experience).
2014 (Nagisa Hazuki - Free!, Guro Lolita Zipper Face, Monokuma - Dangan Ronpa, Honey-senpai - OHSHC)
- Don't make a big cosplay group consisting of people you don't really like.
- Stop being so nice. Seriously. You'll just end up regretting it (had some annoying kid follow my group around for Day 1-2)
- Meeting up with friends from last year is a good idea and can make lasting, yearlong friendships.
- Don't be so goddamn shy, seriously, why'd you do a 180? From "weaboo" loud to "don't-talk-to-me" quiet? Seriously? Stop it.
- Yaoi photoshoots are always worth it (DRAMAtical Murder photoshoot photographer).
- Don't bother planning panels, you will 99% of the time blow them off.
- Stop being such an old person.
- Starbucks is life (Vanilla Latté was my best friend).
- Going on Day 0 to pick up your badge is probably your best idea all year.
- Buying things from the Merchants Hall is a good idea.
- Cosplaying a gory character frightens other people. Must do again one day.
- Dances are so much fun (KumoriProm).

Yea . _ . I already have 2015 planned out.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 09:52:59 pm by KingOfAutumn »
IG - @xiao.sama
Tumblr - all-u-ken-eat-ravioli.tumblr.com
--
KumoriCon 2016
{Still Unplanned}

Offline Chromophobic

• Catgirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2014, 09:50:52 pm »
2008: PRE-REGISTER NEXT TIME, YOU FOOL!!
2009: Cosplay? I think I'll do that next year.
2010: Ohkay. Lets try comfortable cosplays next year...
2011: HOTEL ROOM NEXT YEAR, PLEASE.
2012: No more fakeblood on skin, especially on the first day. So. Many. Stains. On. Face.

(Haha I'm a loser and forgot to type out for 2013)

2013:
-Next time, cheaper hotel room.
-Go to more events. It's not "Hotel-Room-Con".
-Don't cosplay something that is overly done (it wasn't fun hearing through the grapevine that I was the "ugliest" compared to the others).
-Don't be afraid to meet new people and socialize.

2014:
-V.I.P is soooooo worth it. Lets doooo eettt again!
-So this is what it feels like to not be stressed at a con.
-Book at Econolodge again (I don't care what people say, my stay there was awesome. No problems whatsoever)
-If you don't finish a cosplay, no worries. One cosplay is enough.
-Sometimes wearing street clothing is the best when you want to enjoy events.
-Don't attempt to do cosplays that have ridiculous contacts.

Offline Ashok

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2014, 12:20:43 am »
2013: Zacharie (Off), Vanellope (Wreck-it Ralph), Karkat (Homestuck)
-First convention
-Homestuck cosplay is easy, you see it everywhere
-A little pathetic being 15 and having my mother's friend as a chaperone who wouldn't let me leave their sights.
-Spend more time making cosplay, two weeks in advanced just doesn't work

2014: Beta Noiz (DRAMAtical Murder), Kuroha (Kagepro), Konoha (Kagepro), Ruby (Pokemon)
-Attend photoshoots and meetups, its a great way to make friends with similar interests
-The DRAMAtical Murder photoshoot was the best, cosplaying from Yaoi is worth it
-Stop trying to make cosplays in under a month, 4 was really ridiculous
-Friends are great to room with and have fun with but stuff can get a little aggravating
-Get a hotel room, so much easier compared to without
-Picking up your badge on day 0 is fun, felt bad having to skip to the front of the line because father is disabled even though people have been waiting forever.
-I learned I had put a word on my badge that was not appropriate so it was removed (tumblr url) a little sad but I understood, I told four people what the name was going to be and no one even realized that it can be used in a bad way since no one was raised to think that.

I don't feel like I have learned as much as others have, I have been reading about going to conventions since I was 13 so I learned what not to do and completely skipped that weaboo phase at a con, thank goodness. I am already planning for 2015 now.

Offline princess_of_zeal

• Catgirl
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2014, 10:11:06 pm »
Thought of more!  2014:

-Planning photoshoots is fun.
-Provide more structure for photoshoots.
-Do not get in a car accident that destroys con funds/amount of time at said con.  (Never getting in a car accident is a better idea. )
-Aerial pictures are fun to take and generally positive reactions are had.
-Look into doing photography FOR kumoricon.  (Hint hint to anyone that may direct me that way...I'm an amateur but people seem happy with my pictures. )
-Not having a hotel room wasn't as bad as I remembered.
-Having a hotel room still might be a better idea. (Easier to do cosplay swaps and not miss out on fun stuff.)
-Pose for one person and a swarm of people will join in to take pictures.   (Not an issue but amusing for certain. )
-Do NOT rely on rechargeable batteries for camera.
-Double check memory cards for camera to make sure they don't need formatted.   One check is not enough.   Bring lots of backups.

I'll add more when my phone battery isn't dying. ..as long as I remember to.  X_x

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2014, 10:37:08 pm »
Oh I got one..If you are going to wear any kind of shoe that you haven't worn before, get more practice than you think you need before hand..I thought I had enough practice with heels..Yea, nope..

Offline KingOfSassgard

• Sailor Scout
    • Instagram
« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2014, 06:26:05 pm »
2014:

-It's really really nice to have a hotel room at the Hilton. It's easy to go back and forth to, and rest if you're tired.
-How to clean towels on the last night at 12 in the morning
-Bring your own towels
-Rain makes spots on Snazaroo (My friends learned that the hard way.)
-Horns are annoying, no matter how cool they look
-Walking around in a heavy blazer coat in the summer, is actually not that bad if it's for cosplay
-It's really uncomfortable arriving out of cosplay on Day 1, my friends and I are not used to it, and we felt awkward. XD
-Elevators take forever when you don't want them too
-Don't wait till the last minute to finish up a cosplay, it only adds stress. and stress=no fun for anyone
-When going/planning on going to the Dealer's hall or Artist Alley, don't wear a cosplay that restricts your movement or eyesight, you'll just want to get out of there
-Even though you'll feel dead on the last day, you can still have fun
-Get more sleep
-Just because having more cosplays than the next person sounds impressive, doesn't mean you'll do them all. Though, it is nice to have clean clothes when you are super tired on the last night.
-Make smaller horns for Lady Loki, so they don't break...
-Learn to accept the fact that even though a ton of photos were taken, only a few will be uploaded
-Smaller photoshoots can create the most memories
-It's really cool to meet new people
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 06:27:24 pm by DasDeutsch »
Used to be DasDeutsch

Tumblr: http://the-king-of-sassgard.tumblr.com

Offline baka-imouto

• Chibi
    • Tumblr
« Reply #98 on: December 22, 2014, 03:13:50 am »
2014:

-It's really really nice to have a hotel room at the Hilton. It's easy to go back and forth to, and rest if you're tired.
-How to clean towels on the last night at 12 in the morning
-Bring your own towels
-Rain makes spots on Snazaroo (My friends learned that the hard way.)
-Horns are annoying, no matter how cool they look
-Walking around in a heavy blazer coat in the summer, is actually not that bad if it's for cosplay
-It's really uncomfortable arriving out of cosplay on Day 1, my friends and I are not used to it, and we felt awkward. XD
-Elevators take forever when you don't want them too
-Don't wait till the last minute to finish up a cosplay, it only adds stress. and stress=no fun for anyone
-When going/planning on going to the Dealer's hall or Artist Alley, don't wear a cosplay that restricts your movement or eyesight, you'll just want to get out of there
-Even though you'll feel dead on the last day, you can still have fun
-Get more sleep
-Just because having more cosplays than the next person sounds impressive, doesn't mean you'll do them all. Though, it is nice to have clean clothes when you are super tired on the last night.
-Make smaller horns for Lady Loki, so they don't break...
-Learn to accept the fact that even though a ton of photos were taken, only a few will be uploaded
-Smaller photoshoots can create the most memories
-It's really cool to meet new people

I have a couple of pictures of you. I can send them to an email if you'd like. :) -Plague Prussia
Kumoricon 2016: (Days are undecided so far)

Halloween 2010 Prussia (In progress- prop and cosplay started)
Halloween 2011 slave Prussia (In progress- cosplay finished and props started)
Cardverse Prussia (Well.. I have the pattern. -shrugs-)

Offline GreenBrownGirlSasori

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2015, 01:07:09 am »
2009: Going to a con and not staffing is boring.
2010: I made sure my boss slept!
2011: Whose Line at this con is WAY more fun!
2012: Waking me up at 2am causes me so much rage, it burns abandoned hotels down.
I know right? I was surprised how bored I was last time I went, when I decided not to staff and to not go with a big group. There just weren't a lot of panels during the daytime that I cared about, and I couldn't go to the late night ones because I was babysitting my cousin. I missed out on most of my favorite panels because of it. But the panels and events that I did go to were awesome!
see ya, space cowboy.
@greenbrowngirl is my Instagram if you are interested in seeing cosplay progress and my drawings.