Author Topic: Rants? A few. Raves? A lot!  (Read 4166 times)

Offline FizzTheCarbonated

• Sailor Scout
    • http://aimeeevilpixie.deviantart.com
Rants? A few. Raves? A lot!
« on: September 07, 2005, 06:03:30 pm »
Ahoy.  I said most of this at the actual Rant and Rave on Monday, but I'll go ahead and post it again so it's all in writing and stuff.

The Bad:

This isn't really the con's fault, but there really weren't that many panels to go to.  There were some, but I suppose I mostly just wasn't interested in them.  For the record, by next year I hope to be working in the video game industry, and would be willing to do a panel or two relating to that subject.

This has been said and I'm sure will be fixed next year, but the schedules were hard to read.  Everyone already knows, so I won't say any more.

A map of the hotel on the back of the schedule would have been good, as well as more signage in the hotel itself (something already mentioned).

The Good:

The dance was great!  Maybe a little teeny bit more anime music, and a slightly larger dance floor would have made it better, but taking requests and allowing people to bring their own music was AWESOME.  I thought the lights were cool, too.  I don't usually notice them, to be honest.

Having the Artist's Alley in the dealer's room was a great idea, because it does get a lot of traffic, and people have their money right there with them if they want to buy a print or a button.

Speaking of the dealers room, it was huge!  And spacious!  There was actually room to move in there.  It got really hot, because there was no AC, but the fact that it was really big helped to keep it cooler than it might have gotten.

The hotel was fabulous.  I heard that we probably won't have it for next year becausde the date was already taken, but maybe for 2007 if we want to think ahead that far?

Having two karaoke contests was a great idea.  That way people get to compete against  their peers (the people just doing it for fun with the others like them, and the serious singers against the other serious singers).  Plus, both contests are shorter that way and there's more time for people to do open mic.

Security was really nice and friendly, and pretty laid-back as well.  (Much as I love Sakura Con, the security people there can get really stressed really fast and that makes them meaner.)

The cosplay ran really smoothly, even though I know there was a mix-up with seating.  It also didn't run super-late, which is always nice.

I think that's about it.  Great con, overall!

FizzTheCarbonated
Your Darwin fish will not protect you from my wrath!

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 10:17:35 pm »
There was a hotel map inside the program guide thingy.

I just was annoyed that the hotel said it was okay to peacebond our weapons and then decided we couldn't have them afterall.
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 01:18:37 am »
we needed more signage, apparently.
there was a message in my inbox today from someone who had intended to turn in fanfic and couldn't find the room.
i couldn't even count the number of folks who came by our room looking for roosevelt.
etc.

we should've done more publicity.

the hotel and its staff were great.

it would have been helpful to know to ask for the parking certificate and which elevators went to which floors, but that took only a few seconds to figure out.

it would have been helpful if the restaurants in the hotel were open later.

i would like to be able to know in advance, at least what schwag i can give away for the top prizes in art and fanfic contests, so that i can advertise them, and thereby increase participation even further.

everyone on staff was very helpful and compassionate around my health needs (i was hospitalized with asthma the weds and thurs of con week). congoers were also very understanding about this. it was cute when people offered to be my voice during my laryngitis.

when one of my panelists no-showed, two audience members, who had much more info on the subject (dating sims/ren'ai) than i, simply took over and provided fascinating info! yay for sassy lassy and brien b.!

antonia levi was brilliant, as usual. and had  standing room only at her events!

the hotel rooms were HUGE. definite bonus.

there was actual produce and juice and not just junk available on occasion for staff! and vitamins! good choice.

everything i asked for was provided promptly....from help moving tables to even cough drops! great going, both programming and ops.

love to all! can't wait for next year!
rem.

ps it was disappointing to many for fanfic and fanart winners to be omitted from closing ceremonies. i understand the lack of time, but perhaps in the future, departments whose winners won't be announced could be informed ahead of time, so we could do something such as create a posterboard listing winners that we could place on an easel outside of the room in which closing ceremonies is being held. that way, folks on their way in could choose to take a moment to read the list of winners, if it was something in which they were interested, and folks who won could feel recognized, without adding stress to the host.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline PezCat

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 09:53:41 pm »
More signage is a DEFINITE need.  This was brought up at rant & rave, by congoers, by staffers, and would clearly help in any programming changes or news that congoers will need to be aware of.

Simply put, more white board budget needed.

PezCat
Sixty pounds lighter, just as awesome.
2K3-2K7: Various staff, primarily RPGs and Registration
2K12: God only knows...

=^..^=

Offline Kyuubi

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 12:06:45 am »
Game Suggestions -
1. Get more Naruto 3 games if possible.
2. Get Time Crisis 3, it isnt tournament able i don't think, but i have the game, and gun
3. Burnout revenge, and take down - awesome racing games, tournament capable.

Random suggestion - BRING THE MECHA RPG BACK...that was really fun and this time maybe more people will come.

Offline PezCat

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 05:54:56 pm »
Quote from: "Kyuubi"
Random suggestion - BRING THE MECHA RPG BACK...that was really fun and this time maybe more people will come.

Don't be surprised if it shows up next year.  I was indeed planning on running mecha based on the one I ran at K-con 2004

PezCat
Sixty pounds lighter, just as awesome.
2K3-2K7: Various staff, primarily RPGs and Registration
2K12: God only knows...

=^..^=

Offline Kyuubi

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 07:10:44 pm »
Quote from: "PezCat"
Quote from: "Kyuubi"

Don't be surprised if it shows up next year.  I was indeed planning on running mecha based on the one I ran at K-con 2004

PezCat

i liked the sniper one ^_^ I had the character sheet until the demonic bird in my house made my mom throw it away  :cry:

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 11:13:13 pm »
yeah i really liked this convention alot more then k con 04 even though i loved it!
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.