Author Topic: I know people complain about unwanted glompers. I might have found a solution...  (Read 24139 times)

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
I read an article here about a MENSA gathering where people were able to get colored dots on their badge to indicate willingness of contact. It's pretty simple, and I will drive for Reg to do this if people like it:

Green: Hugs allowed.
Yellow: Ask first.
Red: Do not want.

What are people's thoughts on this? I am in LOVE with this idea.

Like Conventional Improv on Facebook!

Offline CyberIncision

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Facebook Page
THIS! ^

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
I think I've heard of something like this before...

It's not a bad idea, but sometimes people get hurt by glompings even if they weren't involved (an innocent victim who was in the wrong place at the wrong time...).
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline hikaru_maxwell

• Catgirl
And then there are the people who won't read the information given about the colored dots, and glomp anyone they please anyway. I like the idea, but not so sure how well it would go down in a con setting. *imagines mensa gatherings would be much calmer than anime conventions.....*

~*~Member of Cannot Unsee~*~

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
Those are very similar to two of the badge colors so maybe a different color scheme?
A good way to announce it would be at opening ceremonies and in the booklets given in swag bags.
But there is one issue...what is people change their minds with their cosplays? Some people don't want to be glomped in their $500 cosplay but when it comes to one of their cheaper or less complex cosplays, they might want hugs.
Maybe there should be another method so people can change depending on moods? Maybe a lanyard color or a slip of paper to go in the badge holder of a certain color instead of a sticker?

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
I agree with Gryff, maybe the info desk should have piece of paper to put in the badge holder for those who have strong feelings about being glomped/hugged.
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

• Bunnygirl
With paper you can also write on it words for those who didn't see the rules in the booklet or at OC.
So if you went with green, yellow, and red you could write (in order) GLOMP or HUGS, ASK or ASK 1st/FIRST, and NO in bold letters. Either print them or Sharpie them on at the desk. Then it's also listed there.

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
YES!!! I love this idea.

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
Those are very similar to two of the badge colors so maybe a different color scheme?
A good way to announce it would be at opening ceremonies and in the booklets given in swag bags.
But there is one issue...what is people change their minds with their cosplays? Some people don't want to be glomped in their $500 cosplay but when it comes to one of their cheaper or less complex cosplays, they might want hugs.
Maybe there should be another method so people can change depending on moods? Maybe a lanyard color or a slip of paper to go in the badge holder of a certain color instead of a sticker?

That's what yellow is for. Yellow = ask

Like Conventional Improv on Facebook!

• Bunnygirl
But that would get annoying.
People see you and want to hug you one day and you constantly say no. But people still ask you every time they get that urge.
Then another day you want people to glomp you and just do it. The surprise is the great things about glomps. But instead everyone keeps asking you. Even saying yes can get annoying.

More importantly, the no part would be annoying.
I think the Ask first is more for people who don't want to be touched by certain people, genders, or age groups.
I still think slips of paper would be better than stickers because it allows people to change their minds.
Also, people can reuse the slips every year or recycle them in baskets at the info booth or during closing ceremonies while stickers just get stuck once and they become useless.

Offline HalcyonFour

• Cabbit
    • Ulquihime Fanfic!
I think it's a good idea. You could have multiple sticker colors per badge, that way they can switch depending on what costume they are wearing.
"You may live bowing on your knees, but die standing on your feet."

-Tite Kubo

Offline cutthroatpixie

• Sailor Scout
    • LiveJournal
I think people should just always ask regardless, but that's just me.

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
Stickers and/or lanyards would be a good idea. With stickers you could peel them off or cover them with another sticker.

Another option is to have the badge be a neutral/yellow ask's by default and have stickers available for those who do have a preference. As long as there plenty of signs to explain it should work except for those who don't read or pay attention to signs all over a con. I don't think it would slow registration down much to ask if they want a sticker and explain if they need to either. I could be wrong though, but putting my 2 cents in.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
I think people should just always ask regardless, but that's just me.

This.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
Asking is probably the cheapest(free!) and easiest to get everyone on the same page method. It's been in the rules videos, the con book and should just be common sense to attendees.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

• Bunnygirl
But we all know how that has gone over the years...
Some people just don't care or don't listen.
Half the people at con don't go to opening ceremonies and half of them don't read the book.

Offline ishpumalibu

• Chibi
I at's good idea, even if only a few people follow it, it's better than none...

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
I personally think having a change to the system could be good. If someone makes it open that they are willing to have glomps and hugs then that is a little more freedom for them and if someone wants a sticker that says no touchie then that can remove a lot of awkwardness of rejecting someone (or asking and being rejected). Perhaps it could be an opportunity for k-con to sell stickers for that purpose too. **shrug**

If anything a neutral badge like I proposed would still mean ask. The stickers are optional.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

• Bunnygirl
Badges are colored for a reason.
Red = Child who needs an adult at all times
Yellow/Green = Minor who needs an adult at con
Blue = Adult

This also gets rid of problems with people hitting on underage children. A blue badge guy can look at a girl and be all, "she's so hot!" And then the girl turns around and BOOM! Yellow badge! It tells him to stay away so nothing illegal happens and parents don't get angry about how unsafe the con is.

Offline Teddy_Bearxx

• Bunnygirl
Like.
Like.
Love.

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
Badges are colored for a reason.
Red = Child who needs an adult at all times
Yellow/Green = Minor who needs an adult at con
Blue = Adult

This also gets rid of problems with people hitting on underage children. A blue badge guy can look at a girl and be all, "she's so hot!" And then the girl turns around and BOOM! Yellow badge! It tells him to stay away so nothing illegal happens and parents don't get angry about how unsafe the con is.

Yep, and I know that system works because I have read other posts here where situations like that have happened. My only thought on the disadvantage of using a sticker or something is that it might confuse people between badge colors and sticker colors, but it shouldn't be that bad really...
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline cutthroatpixie

• Sailor Scout
    • LiveJournal
But we all know how that has gone over the years...
Some people just don't care or don't listen.
Half the people at con don't go to opening ceremonies and half of them don't read the book.

If they don't read the book or just don't care to follow the rule, those same people are probably not going to read the rules about the stickers or care about those rules either. Having the extra expense of stickers, plus the extra time it would take to get the stickers to people/explain the system in the check-in line/etc. just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
I think the paper idea. I think it would be a good idea that when people go to get their badges, the people handling them can ask if they want the colored paper or not. Then they dont have to read in the booklet or anything.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
I suppose if you really, really wanted to stop unwanted glomping . . you could cosplay as a cactus or something.

"Who are you?"

"I'm man-with-a-bunch-of-razor-sharp-spikes-protuding-from-his-body."

I think this is a good idea, even if there would still be some people that would not listen.

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
The rule about no lining up 30 minutes before an event that was started at opening ceremonies and was in the booklet spared around pretty fast, just saying. >.>

I had no idea that year. I was all prepped for the usual 4 hour wait in line and when I got there I was like, >.> <.< WHERE THE LINE?? Then someone told me and I saw signs posted. That was the first con I found myself wondering hallways going... >.> So. Much. Free. Time.. ARGRHGR!!! *head explode* and got to do new things!

So while the word can't get out to EVERYONE. I think opening ceremonies, signs, and the guide/program books do a very good job.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 04:50:38 pm by kimiski »

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline RozenMaiden_Girl

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviantart
I really like this idea... But what about people, who run and tackle/hug you. Its one thing when your okay with 'just hugs'

But I have people run up to me and... tackle.... >.<

edit: But with the paper idea... I like too. Because depending on your mood you can chage them out as well... With a sticker you can't.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 07:37:25 pm by RozenMaiden_Girl »
Lolita and "lolita cosplay" are not the same thing, and ever will be. Period.

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
vote yes for this idea

Offline Rofflz

• Sailor Scout
I like the paper idea, but maybe neon coloured papers? Like pink, yellow, and orange? They would be pretty visible and wouldn't cause confusion with badge colours. Just an idea :d
& I've always had people asking me before touching, but I've seen people get hurt from unexpected glomping/tackle hugs.
I WILL NOT BE ATTENDING THE CON! I'M MOVING OUT OF STATE! AND IT IS THE SAME WEEKEND AS SABOTEN IN AZ. SORRY EVERYONE~!

Offline Sui Fong

• Chibi
Glomping has never really been a problem for me (no one glomps Soi Fon.... no one.), but there have been a few awkward moments for my sister (everyone loves Sakura.... everyone.). I think the paper idea is a pretty cool one. While I don't think that it'll completely solve the problem (b/c there are always those who don't care or are too hyper to pay attention), I think it might help. Though, I'm just saying, the death stare helps too, just saying.
2013 (in the works): Soi Fong (Bleach), Faith (Mirrors Edge), Agito/Akito (Air Gear)
Stay tuned for more information at a later date.

Offline Bopie98

• Cabbit
I think the glomping should stay in the glomp circles in the park.  I personally don't mind it, but if people want to hug others, they should ask.  Random glomping could very well hurt someone or damage someone's cosplay.  Plus looking for dots on badges would get annoying after a while
Jeremiah - Code Geass
Naesala - Fire Emblem
Emperor Peony - Tales of the Abyss

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
^ I agree with every single point in this post.

Offline BlackHat

• Cabbit
    • Tumblr
What people need to do is understandboundaries. We are at a convention, which is in public. Common sense states you don't jump on people. There are those with touching issues, and I hear con horror stories every now and then from people absolutely scared stiff when someone just jumped onto them.
Just because we're all being a little outside of societal norm, running around in cosplay, does not mean we get to toss common sense out the window. Ask permission. I don't want to have to explain to people that I know my badge sticker says NONONO, but its okay right now. Or that my badge sticker says its fine, but I'm really not in a good mood and will probably retaliate in violence if you tackle me. What if one day, I was wearing a super delicate costume, and the next I was in something very sturdy? I thought it would be fine, glomps, but suddenly my body is aching really bad? Don't forget people that simply take glomps too far, and actually cause harm.
Currently working on: Rose Lalonde
No set day order yet for Kumoricon, but tentative cosplay is:
fem!Scout, Rose, Quote
Always open for reworking. Only issues I'm concerned about is Quote's gun and fem!Scout's gun; Never worked with props.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
I think glompers (the ones that are disrespectful) should be kicked out of the con altogether.  This kind of thing should be common sense, but many people lack the ability to have this.

Offline kalagei

• Chibi
I generally dislike anything that adds time to the registration process.
2004 - 2007 Kumoricon Attendee
2008 - Operations Office Staff
2009 - Assistant Ops Director
2010 - Director of Operations
2011 - Registration Manager
2012 - Vice Chair
2013 - I can safely say that I'm not running for a board position :D

Offline CaptnPoptart

• Sailor Scout
I think the lanyard idea is a GREAT idea, since some people get lanyards for their badges anyways at conventions. To me, it shows a bit more if you want hugged or not, rather than just a sticker. And it's much better just to ask for a hug rather than a surprise, because you may cause an injury if you glomp a certain person. Which is what glomp circles are for.
Good News and Bad News.
Bad news is I can't go to Kumoricon the whole weekend because of costs and drivers ed.

GOOD NEWS is that if I can raise enough money I can go for Saturday all day as Espurr (Pokemon X/Y)
Hope to see you all then! <3

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
(snip, emphasis added)...Ask permission. I don't want to have to explain to people that I know my badge sticker says NONONO, but its okay right now. Or that my badge sticker says its fine, but I'm really not in a good mood and will probably retaliate in violence if you tackle me. What if one day, I was wearing a super delicate costume, and the next I was in something very sturdy? I thought it would be fine, glomps, but suddenly my body is aching really bad? Don't forget people that simply take glomps too far, and actually cause harm.

This raises a really good point about stickers - they can't be changed if the wearer changes their mind, or simply does/doesn't want to be hugged by a specific person.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline kalagei

• Chibi
(snip, emphasis added)...Ask permission. I don't want to have to explain to people that I know my badge sticker says NONONO, but its okay right now. Or that my badge sticker says its fine, but I'm really not in a good mood and will probably retaliate in violence if you tackle me. What if one day, I was wearing a super delicate costume, and the next I was in something very sturdy? I thought it would be fine, glomps, but suddenly my body is aching really bad? Don't forget people that simply take glomps too far, and actually cause harm.

This raises a really good point about stickers - they can't be changed if the wearer changes their mind, or simply does/doesn't want to be hugged by a specific person.

Yeah, that is quite true. I'm quite a hugger, but sometimes I'm just not feeling it. But feel free to ask me, just be like "Hey Brandon, can I have a hug?" Chances are I'll say yes :3
2004 - 2007 Kumoricon Attendee
2008 - Operations Office Staff
2009 - Assistant Ops Director
2010 - Director of Operations
2011 - Registration Manager
2012 - Vice Chair
2013 - I can safely say that I'm not running for a board position :D

Offline Haru Hanson

• Cabbit
    • RMD
This actually might work, my friend has a thing about hugging, I think she would like this~!
2014 cosplay list:
Sweet Guro Lolita Twin - 60% finished
Hunny Senpai (OHSHC) - 100% finished
MonoKuma (Dangan Ronpa) - 100% finished
Nagisa (Free!) - ?? finished

Offline KingOfSassgard

• Sailor Scout
    • Instagram
I love this idea of the stickers!
Though I agree with the people who say "just ask first" and "It'll take to long trying to find them."
The stickers could be part of those bags, you know like the ones they had last year (my first year). If they have them this year of course  :P
Used to be DasDeutsch

Tumblr: http://the-king-of-sassgard.tumblr.com

Offline princess_of_zeal

• Catgirl
Normally I highly dislike hugs unless they're from a significant other or something...but at a convention (as long as my cosplay allows it) I don't mind.  Generally it just means they like my character or my outfit.  I don't have any overly delicate cosplay outfits this year so it shouldn't be an issue.  (I don't want hurt either...I'm not the largest person and be easily squished/trampled/knocked over)

On the original topic, I would go along with it.  If people have a dot on their badge, I will pay attention to it. (As long as I can see it)  The color code makes sense to me.  People don't have to worry about me because I don't make a habit of glomping...I'm a little too shy for that.

Offline Titamus

• Oni
This sounds like a great idea. Test it out this year and if it work keep using it. But everyone knows how I feel about hugs....COME AT ME, SEE IF YOU CAN BRING THE BIG SHOT DOWN!!!!!

Offline DSaturn

• Sailor Scout
^Does that mean we're going to have our epic Black Star again???

On topic: It would be a cool idea to put them in the swag bags, and let people who want to use them use them so that they can see if it works out, but on the other hand, that seems like a lot of extra work and cost that isn't really necessary because of the 'ask first' rule.
Kumoricon 2013 The Phoenix Down Slackers will be cosplaying:

Offline Nasina123

• Oni
!
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2012, 08:58:02 pm »
I think this is an absolutely BEAUTIFUL idea!  I think cons should start doing this.  This is brilliant.  Pure genius~!

Offline Himura Kenshin

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
    • Google+

Current Cosplay:
-Sebastian Michaelis (Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler)

Possible Future Cosplay Plans:
-Castiel (Supernatural)
-Assassin Link

Offline sk_chan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Rekkazor (Rekka's Cosplay Page)
Love this idea...please go through with it somehow!! =]
KUMORICON 2015 COSPLAYS!

Kageyama (Haikyuu!)
Tuxedo Mask (Sailor Moon)
Karma (AssClass)
Ryuuko ep. 1 ver. (KLK)
Others...

Offline RobinOfLocksley

• Cabbit
    • Cosplay CONfidential Youtube Channel
Asking is probably the cheapest(free!) and easiest to get everyone on the same page method. It's been in the rules videos, the con book and should just be common sense to attendees.
Of course. Have you seen what paper goes for these days? Not to mention colored paper. Charging people only $45 dollars for their con passes, there's simply no way K-con could afford this.

(please don't kill me for being a smartass.  Yay Kumoricon Staff!

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
Unfortunately, I'm not seeing the need for such a convoluted system to be put in place to make up for any perceived social deficits, when a question would work all the same. Plus, having an extra badge color on top of the truly important one, age, would make things even worse.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Just throwing in my two cents, from what I saw at con this year, glompers will most definitely not stop mid glomp to check a badge. The glomp circle was sicking glompers on people from 30 yards away, lol. I don't think a sticker or any sort of badge-tethered indicator will hinder a wild glomper's approach, unfortunately.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline RobinOfLocksley

• Cabbit
    • Cosplay CONfidential Youtube Channel
Well they're supposed to ask these days anyhow, Eve. My buddy was standing near the glomp circle and was about ready to drop them with his guitar if they rushed at him. They did not. Probably because he was holding a guitar.
With the badge colors though, NORMALLY the whole badge is one color, and it's something obvious. This year they screwed up the at-con registration badges so they had to throw stickers on there.
I know! Everyone who doesn't want to be hugged or glomped can wear parachute pants, which stand for, "Can't Touch This."

Offline princess_of_zeal

• Catgirl
Just throwing in my two cents, from what I saw at con this year, glompers will most definitely not stop mid glomp to check a badge. The glomp circle was sicking glompers on people from 30 yards away, lol. I don't think a sticker or any sort of badge-tethered indicator will hinder a wild glomper's approach, unfortunately.

I wore a sticker and, yup, didn't help.  Lol.  (I didn't mind glomps though)