Author Topic: Kumoricon is Working on a Silent Auction Fundraiser for Japan  (Read 10704 times)

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
Friday, April 8th!  6:00PM tp 9:00PM at Clark College!  
It's in the Gaiser Student Center.
Clark is a good fit for this event because we will have lots of space and we can have some food for those attending.  
(Note: Prepackaged food only, so please no bringing homemade goods)

Proceeds will benefit the Japan fund at Mercy Corps!
Mercy Corps is local, has been doing very direct food/water/shelter aid, plans to help long term and most importantly, they have a specific fund where all the donations will go to Japan and not anywhere else.  

We are going to limit what sort of items we take, as we are planning on doing just 20-30 lots of nice items.  
So, we will NOT accept:
*VHS tapes
*Well-loved items like worn and dirty plushies
*Manga sets that are incomplete or don't start with #1
*Quick 15 minute sketches

I will personally be donating some items like a new-in-packaging Love Prize In Viewfinder clearfile I bought in Japan, still-in-packaging Utena cards from Japan and some other items including art books.  We are hoping that people will donate some really amazing items and art to this.   As soon as we are ready to formally announce this event, please be ready to help spread the word.  

So people don't need to stay for three long hours just to win an item, I am likely going to run this as a series of 3 mini-auctions.  Also, I will now be looking into trying to get some additional entertainment for the event.  

For donations, I will be tracking each item, so in case something does not sell, I will have your instructions on whether or not to give it back to you or to send it on to the at-con charity auction.  

If you want to help out, let me know.  I am especially interesting in knowing if people are willing to help as 'hosts' of the event by dressing up in Japanese fashion or as maids etc, and being available to answer questions about the items.  

Now I am off to send out a bunch of emails.  I hope that lots of you will be able to help me promote this.  Thanks!

Much thanks to Uwajimaya, Blue Moon Anime, Epic Gaming, Todd Haberkorn and Jason Thompson for their donations!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 09:50:08 pm by Rathany »
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
Re: Kumoricon is Working on a Silent Auction Fundraiser for Japan
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 08:08:00 pm »
Way cool.

I only have one all the way through manga series, and I am not giving it up until Superjaz signs her pic in it. lol So I guess I'll have to try to buy a series.

Have Fun

Jay

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 08:42:56 pm »
It doesn't need to be the *entire* run of a manga.  1-5 is fine, just no random #53s or broken sequences.  Though, entire runs would be awesome :)

For the at-con auction we take pretty much everything, but this will be more limited.  Thanks. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Fuyuko

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 08:59:13 pm »
This is a lovely idea. I'm definitely willing to part with some barely used manga and anime, as well as some of my plushie collection for the sake of this. :'3

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 09:15:39 pm »
Yay!  Have to think of something
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 12:36:15 pm »
I actually have some things that I was going to bring for the auction, anyways, that I think would be great for this.  I'm not going to be able to make this next meeting, but if someone wants to meet up with me beforehand, that'd be helpful.

As for a charity, it may be possible (and logical) to set something up with the American Red Cross.  Lots of organizations are doing it through the Red Cross, so that's what I'd like to recommend.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 12:39:51 pm by Washougal_Otaku »
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 03:42:29 pm »
I am (having someone else) working very hard on venue space.  While details are pulled together, here is a picture of my donations to hopefully inspire people to put aside some money for this event:

The original art is by mangaka Yamada Botan.  You might recognize her style and those characters from the mascot artwork for 801-Media and the 4-komi she does that appear in 801-Media titles. 

The object in the center is a little artbook for Nodame Cantibile with a CD featuring the music the characters play in the series. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 03:42:37 am »
There will be a silent auction, but will up-front donations be accepted as well apart from the auction itself?

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 11:24:28 am »
^This. Great idea.
Please also see the front page of the website, which has information about how to add your donations to those ANCEA is coordinating.

I'll see what I have, and I'll ask the Copic distributors (for whom I now work) if they'd contribute. (It might be that since Copic is based on Japan, they've taken too big a hit personally to donate right now.)

How about putting an announcement in the thread about the Eugene meeting, that people can bring donations there for this (if that's okay)?
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 11:55:05 am »
There will be a silent auction, but will up-front donations be accepted as well apart from the auction itself?

Yes, there will be a place to donate when you come in. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 11:59:59 am »
^This. Great idea.
Please also see the front page of the website, which has information about how to add your donations to those ANCEA is coordinating.

I'll see what I have, and I'll ask the Copic distributors (for whom I now work) if they'd contribute. (It might be that since Copic is based on Japan, they've taken too big a hit personally to donate right now.)

How about putting an announcement in the thread about the Eugene meeting, that people can bring donations there for this (if that's okay)?

If Copic would be willing to help us spread the word, that would also be a huge help.  I am holding off on announcing this anywhere else until I have the venue 100% confirmed.  We are pretty much confirmed, it's just that the location ran out of the paperwork that needs to be filled out. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 12:30:40 pm »
I'll see what I can do.

We are having another book release party for the book I edited for Copic's distributor, as part of the First Friday Art Walk. If you have promotional materials for the auction by that time, that would be a great place for me to put them out, because artists and patrons of the arts will be coming by (like close to 200 of them).

Also I have recently started volunteering on behalf of the local Japanese immersion K-5 school. If you authorize me to I'm glad to bring it up there as well. I've been invited to their movie night for the kids, which is April 1st.

Please let me know. Thank you. Love you. Rem.

**************** <<<< EDIT >>>> ***************

My Copic supervisor is on board with coming up with some donation or other. Stay tuned. I don't know whether I can get it before Saturday, however, as there are some official channels to go through.

Even if promo materials don't list date or venue, I'd love to have them for April 1st, along with more Kumoricon promo cards, as again I have both the book release/ art walk with Copic, and the Yujin Gakuen school event, that day. Thanks! <3 Rem.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 01:16:10 pm by RemSaverem »
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 07:56:47 pm »

Well, I know what I'm bidding on!

Just for clarification, auctions winners need to pay via cash or check only, correct?

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 10:17:02 pm »
When will this take place?

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 11:46:17 am »
Okay still looking for a specific thing, but did find this

This poster is signed by Yoshitoshi ABe, I got it from Kinokuniya its in good condition. The art on the poster is from his art book Gaisokyu
Would this work for the auction?

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 04:59:22 pm »

This poster is signed by Yoshitoshi ABe, I got it from Kinokuniya its in good condition. The art on the poster is from his art book Gaisokyu
Would this work for the auction?

Thank would be awesome.

Also, every please read the main post for updates! 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 05:05:12 pm »
If fliers are made for it, in addition to beta-reading them I'd be glad to put them up / hand them out around Eugene.

Most likely, though I won't be able to afford to attend.

When Copic's donation is ready, I'll see if Beau will let me deliver it via him.

Love, Rem.

P.S. Thanks for your work. And for being selective, amongst potential beneficiaries, with a mind to what will actually be delivered to/offered in Japan.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 05:06:59 pm by RemSaverem »

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 06:15:01 pm »
Cool, also I would like to help out as a host , I have a yukata, Or cooking mama cosplay which is kinda maid like...

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 06:20:55 pm »
Er... I need to check the room name but it's that really big cafeteria space we've had before. 

It's called the Gaiser Student Center.

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 08:14:50 pm »
P.S. Thanks for your work. And for being selective, amongst potential beneficiaries, with a mind to what will actually be delivered to/offered in Japan.

Thanks :)  I am very uptight critical careful when it comes to choosing charities. 

@Jaz A yukata would be great

@Washougal Noted, thanks. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 09:37:47 am »
This is going to be paired with something that I WILL FIND!!! This parts not really anime-ish but more so now that tales from earth sea is out in the US

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_from_Earthsea_(film)

The book is a little worn, When I got it I picked it because I liked the cover art better then the newer copies

But its signed

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 04:05:29 pm »

Thanks :)  I am very uptight critical careful when it comes to choosing charities.  

There are many which siphon too much off the top to be worth the investment, so being selective is crucial.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 03:05:04 pm by RemSaverem »

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 03:12:33 pm »
Hi, Dawn. I finalized the Copic donation on Friday and brought it to Beau. I tried to photograph the items myself, but only had my inexpensive phone with which to do so, which did not suffice. So I asked Beau, and he generously offered to photograph them as well as to transport them to the event for me. Here is a list of the items and the prices for them were they sold as retail:
--Two copies of the book I edited for Copic, Shadows & Shading: A Guide to Lighting Placement, @ $14.95 each.
--Two Copic Gift Packs. Each consists of a fancy Copic Marker carrying case and four markers, of different colors, each of which would sell individually for $6; each gift set @ $45.

Hope they sell. I haven't asked Copic whether they want them back if they don't. I can speak for the books, so if they don't sell, keep them for the next auction. Normally I'd imagine such as well for the marker sets; but given that Copic itself is in Japan and that workers had to take refuge in the warehouse and product supply may be at a minimum, if those are leftover after Friday, please let me know, and I'll ask the company.

<EDIT> Just a thought: If you think you could get more $ by selling the carrying cases and/or each marker separately, I'm sure that would be fine with Copic.

Thanks, love, appreciation, and luck,
Rem.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 03:14:06 pm by RemSaverem »

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 10:25:34 am »
Hm, I can't make it to this...

What about having a place at the actual convention where people can donate to help Japan? Maybe a table off to the side/near registration tables?

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 04:12:02 pm »

What about having a place at the actual convention where people can donate to help Japan? Maybe a table off to the side/near registration tables?

That will be up to our Relations Director.  We also need to keep in mind the commitment we have to our at-con auction.  Even if you can't make it, I deeply and hugely appreciate anyone who takes the time to help promote this by letting their friends know about it, or posting about it in places I would not think or, or inviting people to the Facebook event. 

@Rem:  Gotcha.  Maybe we'll do one full set and one set in parts to try and maximize it?  Jeff added mention of the Copic donation to the article on our site and I mentioned it on the FB event page. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2011, 10:40:10 am »

I think that's a great idea.

@Rem:  Gotcha.  Maybe we'll do one full set and one set in parts to try and maximize it?  
That sounds logical.
Jeff added mention of the Copic donation to the article on our site and I mentioned it on the FB event page.  
Wonderful! They'll be delighted to hear that. I will propose that they include details about the auction in the blog on their site.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 09:28:40 am by RemSaverem »

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 10:55:42 pm »
I'm limited in my transportation to get there, since I mostly depend on Lift and that doesn't go to Vancouver. Is anybody around Beaverton coming and can I get a ride?

Also, will item donations be open at the event?

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2011, 09:30:56 am »
Is it possible that items that don't sell at the auction at Clark could come to the KC General Meeting the following weekend and be sold there? Either with another silent auction or just for an outright donation, a la the "Buy it now" options on Ebay?

For those of us who live outside the metro PDX/VancWA area, and/or those who work weekends, I'm sure I'm not alone in having to choose between attending either the auction or the meeting, but I'd still love to help (beyond having scored donations).

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2011, 12:47:46 pm »
Wow I saw on face book that one of the items at the Friday, April 8th auction to help Japan, @ 6:00PM tp 9:00PM at Clark College Gaiser Student Center, was given by Todd Haberkorn

Its to play Magic: The Gathering with him at Kcon 2011 !!!

That pretty cool! ;D

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2011, 02:10:57 pm »
Is it possible that items that don't sell at the auction at Clark could come to the KC General Meeting the following weekend and be sold there? Either with another silent auction or just for an outright donation, a la the "Buy it now" options on Ebay?

For those of us who live outside the metro PDX/VancWA area, and/or those who work weekends, I'm sure I'm not alone in having to choose between attending either the auction or the meeting, but I'd still love to help (beyond having scored donations).

I can talk to Dawn about this at the auction tomorrow, if you'd like.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2011, 10:05:05 pm »
That would be much appreciated. Double the auction, double the donations!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2011, 07:48:42 am »
What wasa the $$ total?

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2011, 08:14:16 am »
It was $567 I believe
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2011, 10:08:06 am »
That is correct!

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2011, 11:32:53 am »

I can talk to Dawn about this at the auction tomorrow, if you'd like.

All items sold.  If people want another fundraiser  structured in a different way, they are welcome to do one. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp