Author Topic: Video Editing Software  (Read 7870 times)

Offline killblazer

• Cabbit
Video Editing Software
« on: July 12, 2010, 09:33:56 am »
Hey, I enjoy making AMVs but I am just soooo held down by the video editing software I currently have. I was wondering what you guys/gals use for making your AMVs or what software you might recommend.
Kumoricon 2010 Outfits

Offline DarkStar

• Sailor Scout
Re: Video Editing Software
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 12:12:56 pm »
Well, it depends! ;D

Here are a few questions that might help to make suggestions:

What operating system are you using?
What hardware do you currently have (processor, RAM, anything else that might seem important)?
Do you have a budget for the software?
What features are you looking for in the software (transitions, keying, straight cuts)?
--Chris ^_^

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 12:47:02 pm »
All of DarkStar's questions are useful but as far as the "what do you use?" question: I use Adobe Premiere and Abode After Effects (and in my opinion After Effects probably isn't important enough to warrant a purchase, unless maybe if you get them in a set). Like all Adobe software, they've got a kind of harsh learning curve and are prone to crashing from time to time, but in the end they can be used to do some pretty incredible stuff.

Offline killblazer

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 08:41:01 pm »
Well, it depends! ;D

Here are a few questions that might help to make suggestions:

What hardware do you currently have (processor, RAM, anything else that might seem important)?
What features are you looking for in the software (transitions, keying, straight cuts)?

Windows XP
Intel 2 Quad Core QX9650 3.0 Ghz
OCZ SLI-Ready Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2x2048MB)
2x XFX 9800 GT Graphics Cards running SLI

I would say I have a budget around $900. I really have no interest in going over $1000 on video editing software.
Well right now with my current software I can't do anything cool with my clips. All that I can do pretty much is cut, add some transitions and do a direct video overlay which looks horrible. If I do a video overlay it places the video over it in a square and I cannot trim the edges of it or add any special effects.

I want software that has a lot of special effect options and will do some nice faded video overlays.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 08:44:38 pm by killblazer »
Kumoricon 2010 Outfits

Offline darkhero

• Cabbit
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 01:22:02 am »
at home i use Sony Vegas pro 9 for all my video editing and then when im staying at my uncles place i get to use adobe premier pro, after effects and soundbooth CS4 to edit film footage i shoot myself though i haven used them to make amv's yet.
i find it more easier to use sony vegas than adobe premier. and also vegas is more cheaper than premier
i used to use pinnacle studio before i got vegas and that was even more easier to use.

Offline killblazer

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 10:33:16 am »
at home i use Sony Vegas pro 9 for all my video editing and then when im staying at my uncles place i get to use adobe premier pro, after effects and soundbooth CS4 to edit film footage i shoot myself though i haven used them to make amv's yet.
i find it more easier to use sony vegas than adobe premier. and also vegas is more cheaper than premier
i used to use pinnacle studio before i got vegas and that was even more easier to use.
Yeah, I kinda want to take my time looking at software because I don't want to buy something right away without knowing much about it. Hopefully some of these products have a trial period :P though I doubt it.
Kumoricon 2010 Outfits

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 02:50:42 pm »
I use MAGIX Movie Edit Pro a lot. The last one I got was 15 Plus, but there's a newer version out now I believe.
It's not the best program out there, but it's worked pretty well for me over the years since I started using the programs. And if Wilsonville isn't too far for you, if you keep your eye on the Fry's Electronics ad you can usually find the programs pretty dang cheap. My first MEP cost me nothing as it was $40 with a $20 in-store rebate and a $20 mail-in rebate. MEP 15 Pro Plus was on sale for half off it's original price, so I got it for around $25 or 30.

And yeah, I think MEP has a trial. I'm not sure what the trial entails, probably just a time-limited version with less features or something.

Though I do wish I could find a decent, easy to understand, cheaper special effects program so I could make lasers, explosions and such. I'd love to find one... ><
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 02:54:22 pm by Blue Leader »

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline killblazer

• Cabbit
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 05:51:36 pm »
I use MAGIX Movie Edit Pro a lot. The last one I got was 15 Plus, but there's a newer version out now I believe.
It's not the best program out there, but it's worked pretty well for me over the years since I started using the programs. And if Wilsonville isn't too far for you, if you keep your eye on the Fry's Electronics ad you can usually find the programs pretty dang cheap. My first MEP cost me nothing as it was $40 with a $20 in-store rebate and a $20 mail-in rebate. MEP 15 Pro Plus was on sale for half off it's original price, so I got it for around $25 or 30.

And yeah, I think MEP has a trial. I'm not sure what the trial entails, probably just a time-limited version with less features or something.

Though I do wish I could find a decent, easy to understand, cheaper special effects program so I could make lasers, explosions and such. I'd love to find one... ><

Thanks for the info, Ill keep a look at it to see if I can find something cheap
Kumoricon 2010 Outfits

Offline DarkStar

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 09:58:03 am »
I would say I have a budget around $900. I really have no interest in going over $1000 on video editing software.
Well right now with my current software I can't do anything cool with my clips. All that I can do pretty much is cut, add some transitions and do a direct video overlay which looks horrible. If I do a video overlay it places the video over it in a square and I cannot trim the edges of it or add any special effects.

I want software that has a lot of special effect options and will do some nice faded video overlays.

For something short like an AMV, I would suggest starting out with Adobe After Effects ($349.00 with education discount) and then expand by eventually adding Adobe Premiere (another $349.00 with education discount). Add in a few of the Visual Quickstart Guides from Peachpit Press and you'll be all set.
--Chris ^_^

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 11:05:29 am »
I hope nobody minds, but I thought I'd revive this thread, since there's these questions here.

- Windows 7.  (It was NOT my idea)
- AMD Athlon 64 Processor/ATI Radeon HD3200 Graphics, up to 1408MB HyperMemory/3 GB Memory.
- Well, if it'll be good enough to help me out, I'd be willing to save up for the software, so, not really.
- What?
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 01:42:26 pm »
For something short like an AMV, I would suggest starting out with Adobe After Effects ($349.00 with education discount) and then expand by eventually adding Adobe Premiere (another $349.00 with education discount). Add in a few of the Visual Quickstart Guides from Peachpit Press and you'll be all set.

In my experience it's *very* difficult to edit only using After Effects because the program offers almost no support for syncing to audio. If you were going to go for only one or the other I'd recommend just getting Premiere.

As for trials/demos I'm fairly certain Adobe offers trials of all of their major programs, including Premiere and After Effects.

Offline Sui Fong

• Chibi
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 08:54:35 pm »
Haha, wow, in reading this forum i feel like a total cheapskate. I only spent like 60 bucks on my video editing software. I use Sony Vegas Movie Studio. It does the basics, and has all the transitions and such. It's not as nice as the Vegas Pro, but it gets the job done and puts out amvs that people like, so it was worth its price :)
2013 (in the works): Soi Fong (Bleach), Faith (Mirrors Edge), Agito/Akito (Air Gear)
Stay tuned for more information at a later date.

Offline Samcyxk

• Cabbit
    • Org profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 08:56:58 pm »
Well, I use Sony Vegas 6, but it's rather old-fashioned compared to the software most of the other editors have... XD But it's a very good program, with a lot of stuff you can do (and it's perfect for those not really encyclopedias on how to make AMVs, like yours truly) and its products are always of incredible quality.
Plus, it's a cheap buy X3
Something tells me that wasn't a very good idea...

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 12:24:58 pm »
Sounds like Vegas or Premiere are top choices, then?
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Dragard

• Sailor Scout
    • Megidoladyne
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 04:58:52 pm »
I'd say Kdenlive, but you more than likely wont use it, since it's only available for Mac, Linux, and some other thing. It's really nice, and completely free...

Offline Maiku

• Sailor Scout
    • Octavian Cosplay
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 09:26:11 pm »
I recently upgraded my adobe to CS5 and got premiere pro.  It has a fairly steep learning curve compared to some other software, but what you can do with it is really something else.  If you have the money to spend, and use a mac, I'd suggest final cut pro - it's what a lot of studios out there use for editing.
2012 Kumo

Dad - Homestuck / Yukimura - Brave 10 / Captain Marvelous - Gokaiger / Flame Prince - Adventure Time

See some of my work: http://www.facebook.com/OctavianCosplay

Offline Sui Fong

• Chibi
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 09:43:36 pm »
I recently upgraded my adobe to CS5 and got premiere pro.  It has a fairly steep learning curve compared to some other software, but what you can do with it is really something else.  If you have the money to spend, and use a mac, I'd suggest final cut pro - it's what a lot of studios out there use for editing.

omg, my best friend has final cut pro and its amazing. i wish i had that kinda money
2013 (in the works): Soi Fong (Bleach), Faith (Mirrors Edge), Agito/Akito (Air Gear)
Stay tuned for more information at a later date.